Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+21
Gollumseverywhere
MosquitoPower
ResIsBestStat
Leeroy_Jenkins
passivefamiliar
Marino.
Seignar
Kiva the wanderer
RANT
Hatsune Miku
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
HereticForLife
LunarFog
Serious_Much
Ghadis_God
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
SirArchmage
tonberryking01
Latitoast
cerealaire
Reaperfan
25 posters

Recommend me an anime

Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Recommend me an anime - Page 2 Empty Re: Recommend me an anime

Post by Reaperfan Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:15 am

Seignar wrote:It has mechas, but it doesn't revolve around them that much, so I guess it is okay unless you have mechanophobia [looked the word up]

My problem with Mecha anime is when they follow too much of a Gundam-like formula where it's all about militaries and political issues and war and battle-hardened 13-year-old kids. I've mentioned before that there are anime with mecha that I like, but they're the ones that do something interesting with the ideas behind the genre.

Gurren Lagann takes all that "determination and belief in yourself will win you the battle" to it's parodied extreme.

Full Metal Panic takes the battle-hardened teenager and actually shows how messed up it can make you by putting them in a situation with normal kids, while also spinning political and military issues into comedy moments instead of taking it all super-seriously.

Code Geass is as much about the magical elements as it is the political/war elements, and the battles are shown more with a strategic and planning emphasis, making the action come from the whole cast working together instead of from the lone heroic pilot. It even brings up how unrealistic it is that the "determined lone soldier in a super mech can single-handedly win the battle" as a main point of conflict between characters.

Basically, there are anime with mechs that I like, but they have to do something unique with the ideas behind the sterotypical tropes of the genre, which ends up turning them more into a comedy or drama anime than a straight-up mech anime.

TL;DR: I'm okay with mecha as long as it isn't just a Gundam clone series in different wrappings.

Seignar wrote:also, I have no idea which are big-names.

I'll basically sum it up as if it's ever been shown on TV straight face
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:27 am

I don't know if Dragonball Z Abridged counts but whatever .

Basically Dragonball Z Abridged is a Parody, a pretty good one at that but it also shows you the best Scenes from DBZ while leaving all the filler crap out .

It's my favorite Anime pony13

This may not be the best Episode but the Series gets pretty awesome later on !
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:05 am

Marino. wrote:I don't know if Dragonball Z Abridged counts but whatever .

Basically Dragonball Z Abridged is a Parody, a pretty good one at that but it also shows you the best Scenes from DBZ while leaving all the filler crap out .

It's my favorite Anime pony13

Been following TFS for years, and I'm inclined to say DBZA is a better show than the original pony01
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:11 am

Yeah, it really is :razz: .

Other than that i really recommend Nichijou, it's random as *** but it's awesome !
    Here are a few good scenes pony06

Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:17 am

I liked No Future big grin
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:04 am

It's better if you know the Context, this Black Haired guy is a Teacher and the Boy is one of his Students, he got the hots for the boys sister who is also a Teacher at that School .

:razz:

Go watch it already !!
    passivefamiliar
    passivefamiliar
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by passivefamiliar Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:10 pm

i suggest if for some reason you dont have it, check out crunchyroll its not an anime, its like netflix. but its just anime. gets episodes released pretty consistently too. i will admit, i was lazy. and did not read all posts, so sorry if its been mentioned.

it has both dub and sub, alot with both some not. but it kept me entertained and i found some new gems...and a few that didnt get more then 2 episodes.
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:12 am

Well, Guilty Crown's mechas are simply just the War Machines of the military forces piloted by standard soldiers, with the exception of two teenagers (who are both secondary characters). Plot is focused around magical powers with Mechs being the "main opposing force", although the anime itself isn't that action-driven (which I mean that there aren't a lot of straight-out, prolonged fights)

Meh, just watch the first 2 episodes and come to the conclusion yourself. First 2 or 3 episodes are key, unless you really hate the first one.
    Hatsune Miku
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:45 am

Marino. wrote:I don't know if Dragonball Z Abridged counts but whatever .

It's my favorite Anime  pony13

That was good. I lol'd.
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:58 am

Another scene from Nichijou 
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:31 am

Alright guys, you'll be glad to know that after all this I've finally gotten a new series out of the way!

After all your suggestions, I decided to start with Clannad (and it's second series, Clannad: After Story), a series that nobody here suggested.

It made me feel feelings.  Serious feelings.  I'm not lying when I say it is the most emotionally moving piece of art I've ever experienced.  For emphasis, I just recently finished The Last of Us, and I still believe my statement about how powerful this series was to be said without any hyperbole.  Please tell me there are others out there who have seen this and can relate to me on it.  For the past few days scenes and messages from the show have been continuously on my mind, and it's damn near frustrating that I don't have anyone to discuss this series with so I can stop thinking about it.
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Location : Heading through The Giant's Forrest which on the other side lies The Cave of No Return which holds The Armor of Invincibility...

Post by Leeroy_Jenkins Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:24 am

Well a couple of my favorites are Gintama and Valkyre Chronicles...
    ResIsBestStat
    ResIsBestStat
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by ResIsBestStat Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:33 am

Ever tried watching Neon Genesis Evangelion?
    MosquitoPower
    MosquitoPower
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MosquitoPower Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:09 pm

How about the older than old anime movie Lensman!
    Its StarWars... only not.
    (P.S. Han Solo and Cewbacka are combined into one character for x2 cool-ness.)

Speaking of old, can't go wrong with the art project that is: Robot Carnival.
    But its not "Mecha" its short stories about human sized robots (most of the time).
    Gollumseverywhere
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Gollumseverywhere Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:21 pm

I reccomend Hellsing but be ready for some extremely dark themes and lots of violence.
    Bontee
    Bontee
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Bontee Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:41 pm

Angel beats is good, funny and depressing...

Deadman Wonderland is good but really graphic...
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:07 pm

Here is everything I've watched (WARNING: Some may contain sex, blood, etc.):
    -Any Miyzaki film, especially Spirited Away
    -When They Cry -An anime about a town that gets caught in a cycle of murders.
    -Fooley Cooley - a quick 6 episode anime about a boy and robots that come out of his head.
    -Mnemosyne - Immortal women, men who turn into monsters, and disturbing scenes await! 
    -Darker than Black - After an area of Tokyo is closed off, dubbed "Hell's Gate," people with special powers called "contractors" arise.
    -Elfen Lied - a sad and bloody story about a girl with "vectors" and the society that outcast her.
    -Clannad - an even sadder story about a young man who simply goes through high school and life.
    -Baccano! - Alcohol, guns, alchemy, you name it. Best watched Dubbed.
    -Angel Beats! - Quite possibly my favorite. When certain people die they go to a high school that acts as a "purgatory" of sorts.
    -Baka and Test: Summon the Beasts - a lighthearted and funny anime about a high school that has avatars of students with strengths that match their test scores.
    -Kaze no Stigma - Magic users and stuff with a fiery tsundere lead and her cool partner.
    -Demon King Daimao - The story of a boy who is prophesied career is to become the next Demon King.
    -Fruits Basket - A curse on a family causes it's members to become animal when hugged by the opposite sex!
    -Caanan - A girl with synesthesia kicks a lot of ***.
    -Eden of the East - A guy wakes up naked in the middle of D.C. with no memory and only a phone with a powerful contact.
    -Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - In a future where people become cyborgs and nuclear wars have been fought, Section 9 fights to punish those that take advantage of society. Very complex and very deep.
    -Another - A boy finds himself in a cursed high school where students and their relatives start dying in gruesome accidents.
    -Rosario+Vampire - Vampires, Succubi, and all sorts of sexy monsters await in this hilarious anime.
    -Deadman Wonderland - a light hearted anime about a boy in high school.
    -The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - a movie about a girl who stumbles upon a device that allows her to literally leap through time.
    -The World God Only Knows - The Dating Sim God must win the hearts of women in order to cast out the demons within them.
    -Azumanga Daioh - A very unique anime about a lot of girls in high school. Very unique...
    -Arakawa Under the Bridge - When a man is saved from drowning by a young woman he asks how he can repay her. Her response is for him to be her lover.
    -High School of the Dead - Zombies and chicks and slashing and boobs and a nurse!
    -From the New World - Definitely not a traditional anime. If you like sci-fi (real sci-fi not that lasers and space fantasy crap) then this is for you. Tells the story of peaceful society and its disturbing past.
    -Maria+Holic - a girl transfers to an all girls school to meet the love of her life, but instead she finds a cross dressing boy. Freaking hilarious.
    -Gurren Lagan - "Yours is the drill that will pierce the heavens!" A favorite of many, a mecha anime about humanity fighting beastmen for the right to live on the surface.
    -Haruhi Suzumiya - Make sure you watch in the right order! Haruhi is not like most high school girls, at all.
    -R.O.D. the Tv- The Paper Sisters (Michelle is my waifu) are a group of girls who use their power over paper to fight crime and read.
    -Future Diary - The best yandere ever. A game involving a group of people and cellphones that can predict the future.

I think that's pretty much everything. Sorry for the short descriptions I was trying not to make it too much.
    Zeta Prime
    Zeta Prime
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zeta Prime Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:03 pm

I used to watch a show called gundam seed or something I remember really liking that.. I think its anime.. guys in robots and explosions and stuff.. I don't really remember it all though.. or you could watch adventure time... but that **** will mess u up so watch it in moderation.
    Aigaios
    Aigaios
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Aigaios Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:20 pm

If you didnt watch any of these you should check them out:

Mirai Nikki
    Action, Mystery, Shounen, Supernatural, Psychological, Thriller
    Its about a survival game to determine the successor of Deus Ex Machina who is the god of Time & Space. The people participating all have diaries that record events that will happen in the near future in order to win they must eliminate all other diary holders.
    Hunter x Hunter(2011)
    Action, Adventure, Shounen, Super Power
    The main character is called Gon he wishes to follow in his father's footsteps and become a Hunter. Hunters travel around the world doing dangerous tasks however to become an official Hunter the main character must complete the entry exam that is notorious for its low success rate and high probability of death.
    Shiki
    Horror, Mystery, Supernatural
    Sotoba is a mall quiet Japanese village. A series of mysterious deaths begin to spread in the village. As investigations continue and the deaths begin to pile up, first fout to be an epidemic it turns out that the village is being plagued by Shiki(vampires).
    Welcome to the NHK
    Comedy, Romance, Slice of Life, Psychological
    Its about Satou Tatsuhiro who is a hikikomori(people that isolate themselves from others staying indoors and avoiding social activities). He is 'selected' for a project that is ment to cure him.
    Code Geass
    Action, Drama, Mecha, Sci-Fi, Supernatural
    After the invasion of Japan by the Brittannian Empire, the country is renamed to "Area 11". A young boy called Lelouch is a Brittannian that despises the Brittannian Empire and wishes to destroy it, he gains the power of Geass that allows him to command anyone to do anything. Using this power and his tactical ability he works to destroy the Britanian Empire and create a better world were the strong do not rule over the weak.
    Devil May Cry
    Action, Fantasy, Supernatural
    Follows the story of the demon hunter known as Dante. He owns and runs "Devil May Cry", a business that specializes in hunting and killing demon. (Based on the video game series "Devil May Cry")
    Kiva the wanderer
    Kiva the wanderer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Kiva the wanderer Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:32 pm

I recommend Holic
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:35 pm

I appreciate the continued ideas guys, but my purpose in the bump was more out of laziness in not wanting to start a new thread combined with a progress update, not really asking for more ideas. I'm already overwhelmed as is lol

I'll probly ask a mod/admin to lock this just in case though. Nomination time has officially closed! We can discuss all the anime talk we want later when I decide to be less lazy and dig back up the old "Anime General Discussion" thread winking
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:42 am

You used us!
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:41 am

hey its andres wrote:You used us!

Well...yeah. Isn't that the purpose of "asking for help" threads?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:42 am