Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+14
Forum Pirate
emraluces
TheMeInTeam
CarverUpqik
StiffNipples
SadPanda
Animaaal
Odinbear
samster628
sinspaw
Elifia
steveswede
Dibsville
mr_no_face
18 posters

Fixing a big problem in the onlie community

mr_no_face
    mr_no_face
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Fixing a big problem in the onlie community  Empty Fixing a big problem in the onlie community

Post by mr_no_face Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:07 am

DARK MAGIC HAS RUINED PVP >.< its way tooooo OP the designers need to think long and hard and test ridiculous builds with all weapons and magic before putting this game out I am tired of getting one hit by the dark shotgun and un able to avoid the stupid pursuers
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Fixing a big problem in the onlie community  Empty Re: Fixing a big problem in the onlie community

Post by Dibsville Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:14 am

I'd agree with you, but there's a TON of counters for magic.

You can get 500+ magic defense on a simple build. That practically makes any spell worthless. You just need to know how.

On top of that, there's shields with high MagDef as well as the magic barriers.
    mr_no_face
    mr_no_face
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Fixing a big problem in the onlie community  Empty Re: Fixing a big problem in the onlie community

Post by mr_no_face Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:18 am

but the dark magic does physical damage and only scales with a magic stat and it rapes no matter what unless you're max level andeven then its still garbage OP
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:23 am

Dark Magic does mostly magical damage, the "weighty" portion that is described is for the poise break it has. Dark Orb has insanely high poise break, and Dark Bead and Pursuers are also quite high as well.

You can also simply roll through it. If you're having trouble rolling through it due to lag, try using a Dark Magic build yourself and watch how other people react to it. The best way to learn a counter to something is to see how other people do so.
    mr_no_face
    mr_no_face
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by mr_no_face Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:29 am

i fancy myself a pretty decent PvP player but when i tried using dark magic i just got ruined >.< i blame the internet people. but in all seriousness the dark magic is pretty freakin OP as it is even when matched against very skilled players
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:32 am

I've said this before: Dark Magic is not OP.

It's just new to people.

Much like Wrath of the Gods, Dark Magic is still pretty new to people. It's a very powerful spell with a fast cast time.

When Dark Souls first came out, Wrath of the Gods was an insanely good spell, and everyone cried that it was OP. They simply had not found ways around it yet. Dark Magic is the same. It's not necessarily OP as it is that it's hard to find a way around it. One of the best ways is a Magic Barrier. Also, you can use the Moonlight Butterfly soul to create the "Crystal Ring Shield", which has a whopping 90% magical defense. It's like a big middle finger to magic.
    mr_no_face
    mr_no_face
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by mr_no_face Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:34 am

thanks for the advice i shall take it into consideration happy
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:17 am

Don't forget hidden body. Pursuers becomes ineffective when you use that spell.
    Elifia
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elifia Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:25 am

steveswede wrote:Don't forget hidden body. Pursuers becomes ineffective when you use that spell.

Until the person who cast pursuers uses Silver Pendant.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:25 am

That was patched.
    sinspaw
    sinspaw
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by sinspaw Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:50 pm

Look, I mean no offense and I'm sorry if this sounds condescending.

That said, I think you, the OP, needs to step back a bit. I think you need to consider the idea that you have some personal growth to do. I say this because you came to the forums complaining about the "big problem" that the community has because they use dark magic. You say you consider yourself "a pretty decent PVP player" yet you can't handle people who focus on dark magic? Have you considered the fact that perhaps you are not that good? If you had, maybe you would realize that you need to improve yourself and learn how to deal with dark magic instead of blaming it on the people who use it and/or the creators of the game.
    samster628
    samster628
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by samster628 Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:56 am

Just use the silver pendant. Problem solved. Failing that i suggest tanking the dark magic users in magic resist armor with high poise, using the flippy ring (DWGR) or taking the fight to a place where you can dodge behind trees. Really its not overpowered. DWGR used to be overpowered but after it was nerfed things have got better. when fighting miricle users still have to be careful.
    Odinbear
    Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Location : Sitting here in limbo, but I know it won't be long. Sitting here in limbo, like a bird without a song. Well they're putting up resistance, but I know that my faith will lead me on. Sitting here in limbo, waiting for the dice to roll.

Post by Odinbear Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:10 am

I would not go as far as to say, Dark Magic has ruined the online community. DM is powerful, though.
    I always carry a high magic shield now, when I see a catalyst, I become cautious and try and get some distance. Equip SP. for the pursuers, get ready to dodge. Generally I lose against the caster but someday, I'm gonna be a dodging, SP user mofo and the caster is gonna run out of spells. Then, who's gonna be in charge? Lol

What's worse is a VG caster who can, cast DM. Then zap a Soul Spear. bAm.
    It would be nice to have some more, "counters" to magic in general. Miracles/white spells that nerf damage, that protect ( for more than the SP, which is fleeting), that affect the caster (like spell reversal?)...

My next 2 toons are making their way to becoming caster devils. So look out. My win to lose ratio is about to change. Lol.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:49 pm

Silver Pendant isn't a good counter to DM, I'm sad to say. When the DLC first came out, I got on my mage as soon as I learned there was magic in it. People would spam Silver Pendant once they realised that it blocked Dark Magic, but the thing is it just doesn't last long enough. On top of that, it leaves you completely open to getting CSS'd in the face. The best counter to Dark Magic is to be patient. Unlock and roll behind them as soon as they cast. Try to backstab them, but only go for it if you're sure you're going to get it. If you mess up because you were too hasty, you'll end up dying. Dark Magic is fairly easy to counter, but the thing is that simple mistakes will end it.

If you see a Catalyst, one of the best things for you to do is to take off some armour so that you can Fast Roll, then just wait it out. If you get hit from lag, it should only be from a couple of beads, so you will live and be able to time your rolls accordingly to match the lag. Just remember, 6 Dark Beads. That's all you have to dodge. Count them while you're dodging. If they cast a 7th, then they have 12. VERY FEW people run 18 Dark Beads, so you don't have to worry about that.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:59 pm

Dark Bead and Dark Orb are op at lower soul levels. They only require 16 int and can stack damage with lots of different accessories.

With that said, they become much less effective at higher soul levels. Having 45 dex can make a DB-->DO an unpredictable combo, but in most cases, DO isn't worth the attunement slot.

Pursuers is a joke on its own. However, Pursuers-->CSS (locked-off) can be very problematic. The chip damage from CSS at mid to long range is ridiculous, and the silver pendant wont save you in this situation.

Also, I'm not sure if "activating" Pursuers with the silver pendant was patched, first I heard of it.

Best counter when you see elf ears, HCSM, Pursuers, CSS or DB spamming is......

Spoiler:
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:17 pm

I hope the silver pendant trick hasn't been taken out as it was a great tactic to use with pursuers. The only thing should work against pursuers is that the hidden body stops them from homing in.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:17 pm

It was taken out in 1.0.7.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:31 pm

Dibsville wrote:It was taken out in 1.0.7.

I don't suppose you have a link by chance?

I cant find the patch notes here, and the other wiki makes no mention of it. Shrug

I'm asking cuz like I said, first time I've heard of it.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:34 pm

I don't have the patch notes, I'm saying that from experience. I had my Dark Mage from 1.0.5-1.0.8.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:41 pm

Dibsville wrote:I don't have the patch notes, I'm saying that from experience. I had my Dark Mage from 1.0.5-1.0.8.

Well then....

Spoiler:

crying
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:39 pm

Dark magic isn't OP

Spoiler:
    samster628
    samster628
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by samster628 Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:41 am

Mmm ish. The manus catalyst is a better choice than TCC if you are using dark magic. Dark magic does just take some getting used to. Like goddamn wrath of the gods or sanctus special attack. When you see signs of using these you back off double quick time or stun them if you can. Dark magic isn't really that hard. keep light and at a distance. use the pendent as the darkness reaches you then roll to avoid the soul spear.
    Certainly a more fun fight than with a BS fisher or a parry spammer.
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:55 am

samster628 wrote:Mmm ish. The manus catalyst is a better choice than TCC if you are using dark magic. Dark magic does just take some getting used to. Like goddamn wrath of the gods or sanctus special attack. When you see signs of using these you back off double quick time or stun them if you can. Dark magic isn't really that hard. keep light and at a distance. use the pendent as the darkness reaches you then roll to avoid the soul spear.
    Certainly a more fun fight than with a BS fisher or a parry spammer.
    It's only bad when you get a laggy person. Whether they just have bad internet speed or in another country.
    StiffNipples
    StiffNipples
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by StiffNipples Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:05 am

SadPanda wrote:It's only bad when you get a laggy person. Whether they just have bad internet speed or in another country.

As an Australian, this is sadly everyone.

I f**king hate dark magic.

Also point of note, it's not that you can dodge it, it's what happens when you don't dodge it.

And too often that is a one hit kill, which is why so many (myself included) consider it unbalanced.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:06 am

StiffNipples wrote:Also point of note, it's not that you can dodge it, it's what happens when you don't dodge it.

And too often that is a one hit kill, which is why so many (myself included) consider it unbalanced.
    *cough* Backstabs *cough*

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:27 am