...man would have no more than four years to live.

    Share
    avatar
    Hart
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 373
    Reputation : 19
    Join date : 2013-05-21
    Age : 25
    Location : NZ

    ...man would have no more than four years to live.

    Post by Hart on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:17 am

    So, most people here seem interested in science and what not. On the news today they had another story about all the bees here dying/disappearing yada yada.
    If any of you haven't heard the quote, once upon a time ol' Alby Einstien said "If the bee disappears from the surface of the earth, man would have no more than four years to live."

    So, my question to you all is what do you think of this???

    My personal opinion is that first of all, there is very little chance of this actually happening. I think that in a population as large as the honey bee there is enough genetic variation that the species as a whole is relatively safe, and thats before we take into account all the tree huggers out there doing their thing to save them.
    On the off chance that the honey bee were to become extinct, I think that it would only serve to empty a niche that would be filled by some other organism, probably but not necessarily another insect. And everything would basiclly keep on keeping on.

    This obviously assumes that the reasoning behind Einstiens comment was based on our dependance on bees as pollinators for, ultimately, all our food sources. If you have a different interpretation please share.


    _________________

    Smile, it confuses people.
    avatar
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 490
    Reputation : 44
    Join date : 2013-03-15
    Age : 25

    Re: ...man would have no more than four years to live.

    Post by Elifia on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:43 am

    Hart wrote:So, most people here seem interested in science and what not. On the news today they had another story about all the bees here dying/disappearing yada yada.
    If any of you haven't heard the quote, once upon a time ol' Alby Einstien said "If the bee disappears from the surface of the earth, man would have no more than four years to live."

    So, my question to you all is what do you think of this???

    My personal opinion is that first of all, there is very little chance of this actually happening. I think that in a population as large as the honey bee there is enough genetic variation that the species as a whole is relatively safe, and thats before we take into account all the tree huggers out there doing their thing to save them.
    On the off chance that the honey bee were to become extinct, I think that it would only serve to empty a niche that would be filled by some other organism, probably but not necessarily another insect. And everything would basiclly keep on keeping on.

    This obviously assumes that the reasoning behind Einstiens comment was based on our dependance on bees as pollinators for, ultimately, all our food sources. If you have a different interpretation please share.

    Einstein*, not Einstien. Just like it's Ornstein, not Ornstien.

    Einstein was probably referring to the pollination thing, but bees aren't the only source of pollination. Besides, I trust in Nature to make everything all right. She always does.


    _________________
    PSN: Elifia, Elifialt
    I'm back from being gone!
    avatar
    Hart
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 373
    Reputation : 19
    Join date : 2013-05-21
    Age : 25
    Location : NZ

    Re: ...man would have no more than four years to live.

    Post by Hart on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:52 am

    Elifia wrote:Einstein*, not Einstien. Just like it's Ornstein, not Ornstien..

    ^^^ This triggered a real-life facepalm.


    _________________

    Smile, it confuses people.
    avatar
    Hue
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1488
    Reputation : 31
    Join date : 2012-12-23
    Age : 20
    Location : Killing the chat

    Re: ...man would have no more than four years to live.

    Post by Hue on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:56 am

    It would probably take longer for other animals to fill the gap than we can survive to see it.
    We wouldn't immediately see the effects, but there will no longer be balance in the food chain, and it will bite us in the *** some years later.

    In the worst case, we'll live longer than four years, but not by much*
    (relative to history of man, not to the 4 years)

    The current generation would live more or less normally, until other animals (herbivores) start dying, taking their predators with them, all the way up to humans, but this will take some time and we'll most likely live off of farming and livestock for quite some time.


    Last edited by Hachouma on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:03 am; edited 3 times in total


    _________________
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    [i]Huehuehue.[/i]
    avatar
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 490
    Reputation : 44
    Join date : 2013-03-15
    Age : 25

    Re: ...man would have no more than four years to live.

    Post by Elifia on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:58 am

    Hart wrote:
    Elifia wrote:Einstein*, not Einstien. Just like it's Ornstein, not Ornstien..

    ^^^ This triggered a real-life facepalm.

    A facepalm at your own inability to spell Einstein's name correctly?


    _________________
    PSN: Elifia, Elifialt
    I'm back from being gone!
    avatar
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1999
    Reputation : 40
    Join date : 2012-12-29
    Location : The nether regions

    Re: ...man would have no more than four years to live.

    Post by densetsushun on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:59 am

    I think it's safe to say that Albert Einstein was a physicist, not a biologist, therefore his expertise in that field is minimal. We know bees are important for pollination, we know the loss of any animal would screw with the ecosystem they exist in, but we don't know how it would be affected, how large the impact will be, if the impact can be mitigated or if we even need to take action.


    Last edited by densetsushun on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total


    _________________
    George Takei:
    Here's a little Internet tip: If you feel offended by something someone else posts, remember two simple rules:

    1) It's not about you.
    2) If you try to make it about you, you'll sound ridiculous.

    Steve Jobs:
    Almost everything--all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure--these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.
    avatar
    Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 4520
    Reputation : 40
    Join date : 2013-04-03
    Age : 20
    Location : Rolling in circles while reading manga

    Re: ...man would have no more than four years to live.

    Post by Latitoast on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:00 am

    I hate bees anyways, totally worth it.


    _________________
    Gamertag:Leon Kennedy85   LoL Summoner ID, Skype Username, Steam ID:Latitoast
    Current Covenants:Messengers of Velka, The Exiled of Ariamis, The Darkstalkers

    avatar
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 490
    Reputation : 44
    Join date : 2013-03-15
    Age : 25

    Re: ...man would have no more than four years to live.

    Post by Elifia on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:04 am

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollination

    I already knew most of this, but bees are far from the only source of pollination. Other sources: wind, wasps, ants, butterflies, beetles, moths, flies, birds and bats.

    Not to mention that humans are advanced enough to know how to artificially pollinate stuff themselves.


    _________________
    PSN: Elifia, Elifialt
    I'm back from being gone!
    avatar
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

    Posts : 13287
    Reputation : 542
    Join date : 2012-02-01
    Age : 25
    Location : The Forest, Illinois

    Re: ...man would have no more than four years to live.

    Post by Tolvo on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:21 am

    If you want a real thinker, I've always had dreams that would tell me I'd when I was twenty. I'm turning twenty one in a month about. Will I do within a month?

    But in regards to possibility, yeah incredibly possible for us to get wiped out, but likely not related to bees. Do you know how many things happen on a cosmic scale daily? We could have a gamma burst coming at us, and be unable to even see it coming as it strike earth killing all known life.
    avatar
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 490
    Reputation : 44
    Join date : 2013-03-15
    Age : 25

    Re: ...man would have no more than four years to live.

    Post by Elifia on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:37 am

    In the end, it doesn't matter. Einstein only said man would die (he didn't, but whatever). Woman would live on. Go woman!


    _________________
    PSN: Elifia, Elifialt
    I'm back from being gone!
    avatar
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1999
    Reputation : 40
    Join date : 2012-12-29
    Location : The nether regions

    Re: ...man would have no more than four years to live.

    Post by densetsushun on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:40 am

    Elifia wrote:In the end, it doesn't matter. Einstein only said man would die (he didn't, but whatever). Woman would live on. Go woman!
    Woman or women? It would be pretty sad if any person would live on by themselves. silly


    _________________
    George Takei:
    Here's a little Internet tip: If you feel offended by something someone else posts, remember two simple rules:

    1) It's not about you.
    2) If you try to make it about you, you'll sound ridiculous.

    Steve Jobs:
    Almost everything--all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure--these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.
    avatar
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 490
    Reputation : 44
    Join date : 2013-03-15
    Age : 25

    Re: ...man would have no more than four years to live.

    Post by Elifia on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:51 am

    densetsushun wrote:
    Elifia wrote:In the end, it doesn't matter. Einstein only said man would die (he didn't, but whatever). Woman would live on. Go woman!
    Woman or women? It would be pretty sad if any person would live on by themselves. silly

    Women. It's woman as in womankind, just like man in the quote means mankind, not just 1 man.


    _________________
    PSN: Elifia, Elifialt
    I'm back from being gone!
    avatar
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1999
    Reputation : 40
    Join date : 2012-12-29
    Location : The nether regions

    Re: ...man would have no more than four years to live.

    Post by densetsushun on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:17 am

    Elifia wrote:
    Women. It's woman as in womankind, just like man in the quote means mankind, not just 1 man.
    "woman" as in "womankind" does not exist in the English language. I take issue with the term "man" as in "mankind" as well, but at least that one exists. silly


    _________________
    George Takei:
    Here's a little Internet tip: If you feel offended by something someone else posts, remember two simple rules:

    1) It's not about you.
    2) If you try to make it about you, you'll sound ridiculous.

    Steve Jobs:
    Almost everything--all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure--these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.
    avatar
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

    Posts : 7779
    Reputation : 268
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Location : Winterfell

    Re: ...man would have no more than four years to live.

    Post by RANT on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:06 am

    i think it would be a pretty big deal, for once there would be no almonds lol but we'd be screwed and im pretty sure mother nature can replace something that been here for so long in a couple of years, i don't see the tree frogs(or any species getting wiped out) that keep going extinct getting replaced by something else, meh i actually give us around 500 years left and that's beign generous, we really need another huge meteor to wipe out like 90% of humanity and for earth to replenish itself.


    _________________
    Night gathers, and now my watch begins.
    I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.
    avatar
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

    Posts : 11501
    Reputation : 327
    Join date : 2012-04-18
    Age : 28
    Location : WPB, Florida

    Re: ...man would have no more than four years to live.

    Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:08 am

    Elifia wrote:Besides, I trust in Nature to make everything all right. She always does.

    Yes, but Nature works at her own pace. To Nature it doesn't matter if something takes 10 million years to heal/correct itself. I, on the other hand, will be long dead.

    avatar
    Encore
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 4317
    Reputation : 28
    Join date : 2013-05-12
    Age : 20
    Location : Bracing myself for the Winds of Change, being supported by the towering pillars of my friends.

    Re: ...man would have no more than four years to live.

    Post by Encore on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:16 am

    We can not destroy nature, we can only destroy ourselves.

    Nature has been reborn countless of times before. and it will always hit back at us, hard at that.


    _________________
    It is all like the repeating drip of thickening oil...

    Song of Myself
    avatar
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1351
    Reputation : 51
    Join date : 2012-08-07
    Age : 26

    Re: ...man would have no more than four years to live.

    Post by Slarg232 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:08 am

    Hachouma wrote:It would probably take longer for other animals to fill the gap than we can survive to see it.
    We wouldn't immediately see the effects, but there will no longer be balance in the food chain, and it will bite us in the *** some years later.

    In the worst case, we'll live longer than four years, but not by much*
    (relative to history of man, not to the 4 years)

    The current generation would live more or less normally, until other animals (herbivores) start dying, taking their predators with them, all the way up to humans, but this will take some time and we'll most likely live off of farming and livestock for quite some time.

    We've learned how to make poo edible, I'm fairly certain we can survive anything.


    _________________



    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3419
    Reputation : 175
    Join date : 2013-01-17

    Re: ...man would have no more than four years to live.

    Post by Animaaal on Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:46 pm

    Elifia wrote:
    Hart wrote:
    Elifia wrote:Einstein*, not Einstien. Just like it's Ornstein, not Ornstien..

    ^^^ This triggered a real-life facepalm.

    A facepalm at your own inability to spell Einstein's name correctly?

    Yes, I sekond tha fase palm. Gramer on the inturnet iz just..... rolling eyes

    I mean, why Efliaiafia?
    avatar
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 490
    Reputation : 44
    Join date : 2013-03-15
    Age : 25

    Re: ...man would have no more than four years to live.

    Post by Elifia on Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:25 pm

    Animaaal wrote:
    Elifia wrote:
    Hart wrote:
    Elifia wrote:Einstein*, not Einstien. Just like it's Ornstein, not Ornstien..

    ^^^ This triggered a real-life facepalm.

    A facepalm at your own inability to spell Einstein's name correctly?

    Yes, I sekond tha fase palm. Gramer on the inturnet iz just..... rolling eyes

    I mean, why Efliaiafia?

    Yes, I second the face palm. Grammar on the internet is just..... rolling eyes

    I mean, why Elifia?*

    Also it's spelling, not grammar.


    _________________
    PSN: Elifia, Elifialt
    I'm back from being gone!
    avatar
    Encore
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 4317
    Reputation : 28
    Join date : 2013-05-12
    Age : 20
    Location : Bracing myself for the Winds of Change, being supported by the towering pillars of my friends.

    Re: ...man would have no more than four years to live.

    Post by Encore on Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:27 pm

    This thread is no more.


    _________________
    It is all like the repeating drip of thickening oil...

    Song of Myself

    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3419
    Reputation : 175
    Join date : 2013-01-17

    Re: ...man would have no more than four years to live.

    Post by Animaaal on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:10 pm

    So womankind aint included in man huh???...that's rich. Look Skyward
    avatar
    Kiva the wanderer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 908
    Reputation : 19
    Join date : 2012-08-22
    Age : 22
    Location : Scotland

    Re: ...man would have no more than four years to live.

    Post by Kiva the wanderer on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:17 pm

    If Humanity does die out it wouldnt be a loss, humans are cancer we damage the earth grom progressing and kil of countless species as we do, if anything else did this it would be reffered to as a disease.


    _________________
    XBL: Kiva N Chips




    Ill be on PS4 at around Christmas time hopefully so my psn tag is "KivaNChips"




    Multiplayer titles and Souls games
    Main games on X360 ATM: Dark Souls, DKS2 (Wont be online though :'c), BF3 and Halo 4.
    Target games on PS4: Killzone: Shadow Fall, Destiny and a next gen souls title?




    games im following
    InFamous, Shadow of the Beast, MGS V, Lords of the fallen, The Order: 1886, The Evil Within (WOO!), Fallout 4, Star Wars battlefront, Kingdom hearts 3, The division, Warhammer MMO, Watch dogs and so much more.




    So many games, so little time (And Money).
    avatar
    Kiva the wanderer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 908
    Reputation : 19
    Join date : 2012-08-22
    Age : 22
    Location : Scotland

    Re: ...man would have no more than four years to live.

    Post by Kiva the wanderer on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:18 pm

    Sorry if i sound dark but ive literally lost faith in humanity.


    _________________
    XBL: Kiva N Chips




    Ill be on PS4 at around Christmas time hopefully so my psn tag is "KivaNChips"




    Multiplayer titles and Souls games
    Main games on X360 ATM: Dark Souls, DKS2 (Wont be online though :'c), BF3 and Halo 4.
    Target games on PS4: Killzone: Shadow Fall, Destiny and a next gen souls title?




    games im following
    InFamous, Shadow of the Beast, MGS V, Lords of the fallen, The Order: 1886, The Evil Within (WOO!), Fallout 4, Star Wars battlefront, Kingdom hearts 3, The division, Warhammer MMO, Watch dogs and so much more.




    So many games, so little time (And Money).

    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3419
    Reputation : 175
    Join date : 2013-01-17

    Re: ...man would have no more than four years to live.

    Post by Animaaal on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:54 pm

    Elifia wrote:
    Animaaal wrote:
    Elifia wrote:
    Hart wrote:
    Elifia wrote:Einstein*, not Einstien. Just like it's Ornstein, not Ornstien..

    ^^^ This triggered a real-life facepalm.

    A facepalm at your own inability to spell Einstein's name correctly?

    Yes, I sekond tha fase palm. Gramer on the inturnet iz just..... rolling eyes

    I mean, why Efliaiafia?

    Yes, I second the face palm. Grammar on the internet is just..... rolling eyes

    I mean, why Elifia?*

    Also it's spelling, not grammar.

    That is so stupid.
    avatar
    Kiva the wanderer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 908
    Reputation : 19
    Join date : 2012-08-22
    Age : 22
    Location : Scotland

    Re: ...man would have no more than four years to live.

    Post by Kiva the wanderer on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:57 pm

    Why do people give so much hate if you`re grammatcly incorrect on the internet? I could put the samr sentence on paper and no one would go * You`re.


    _________________
    XBL: Kiva N Chips




    Ill be on PS4 at around Christmas time hopefully so my psn tag is "KivaNChips"




    Multiplayer titles and Souls games
    Main games on X360 ATM: Dark Souls, DKS2 (Wont be online though :'c), BF3 and Halo 4.
    Target games on PS4: Killzone: Shadow Fall, Destiny and a next gen souls title?




    games im following
    InFamous, Shadow of the Beast, MGS V, Lords of the fallen, The Order: 1886, The Evil Within (WOO!), Fallout 4, Star Wars battlefront, Kingdom hearts 3, The division, Warhammer MMO, Watch dogs and so much more.




    So many games, so little time (And Money).

    Sponsored content

    Re: ...man would have no more than four years to live.

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:50 pm