Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
KrazykevS10
Dusk Soul
6 posters

A catbro in need of guidance.

Dusk Soul
    Dusk Soul
    Addicted
    Addicted

A catbro in need of guidance. Empty A catbro in need of guidance.

Post by Dusk Soul Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:13 am

I love pvp-ing in the forest, the rush of adrenaline when fighting two or sometimes three enemies is incredible and words can't make justice of the feeling of beating all odds and win against a gank-squad, however I find myself loosing more often than not. So I was wondering if any fellow catbros had any sort of wisdom to share with me.

I'm on the fence concerning the soul level of the build; but so far I'm leaning on Sl 80-ish. A catbro in need of guidance. 2667844452
    KrazykevS10
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

A catbro in need of guidance. Empty Re: A catbro in need of guidance.

Post by KrazykevS10 Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:48 am

Open your fights with a backstab,then a backstab,followed by another backstab.Heal and repeat if needed.You are invincible while backstabbing so doing that stops one guy from moving and the other just can't hit you,minimising the amount of time you are vulnerable.

There are other tactics but that is the most effective all round choice.Also,if you pack wrath,learn to stun stab with your casts.Just cast and pivot backstab while they recoil from the hit.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:39 am

LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:09 am

The forest? I EXCELL at that. It's about know your shortcuts and safezones.

I don't have time for my in depth guide but here's a few highlights

1.) Hidden body/ring of fog works surprisingly well with blue phantoms.

2.) If you find yourself being ganked, remember that the bridge is small and it's really hard for someone to get on the other side of you/dodge(hint hint: spear, spells)

3.) There's a ledge near the right of Alvina's building that's close enough to the other half of the forest for you to jump over. The jump is fairly hard and nearly impossible if you haven't practiced making it before. So anyone chasing you will either stop and take the long way around(giving you plenty of time to regroup or hide), jump after you and fall to their death, or make the jump and be right near the ledge where you can easily kick them over

4.) If you find yourself in a gank, you can always use the forest animals to even the fight or just buy you some time.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:36 am

Dusk Soul wrote:I love pvp-ing in the forest, the rush of adrenaline when fighting two or sometimes three enemies is incredible and words can't make justice of the feeling of beating all odds and win against a gank-squad, however I find myself loosing more often than not. So I was wondering if any fellow catbros had any sort of wisdom to share with me.

I'm on the fence concerning the soul level of the build; but so far I'm leaning on Sl 80-ish. A catbro in need of guidance. 2667844452
    That is exactly how I feel. This is why I like the ganking in the forest and don't want it to turn into an "honorable" place.

But, have a variety of weaponry/attacks. Poise is your best friend. Use Lloyd's. Run away and use the environment. Heal when you get a chance (casting HCSM is a good way to do that). Learn to BS. I've gotta go, sorry I can't go into more detail.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:42 pm

You just need an anti-gank build. TWoP, Hornet's Ring, maybe WoG, stuff like that. Something that's not meant for dueling.
    Dusk Soul
    Dusk Soul
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Dusk Soul Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:48 pm

First of all thanks for the help, from reading the thread Tolvo linked and your responses it seems that my main problem are tactics more than my build. I have been treating the forest invasions like normal invasions, rushing towards the host and usually getting ambushed by a phantom I missed (how I miss sunbros is still beyond me),

In any case it seems doing a few laps in hollow form around the forest will be beneficial for me since I tend to fight in the clearing near the stairs or in front of Alvina. That jump near Pharis does sound really useful, are there any other jumps I should know about?

Finally this is the build I decided to try,

https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=428970639520575345

I really like the Gravelord sword, it has a pretty decent moveset (many people I've fought with have underestimated the reach of the strong attacks), decent damage with minimal stat investment and the Toxic build up is a nice plus. The bandit's knife is mostly for backstabes and ripostes (I need to practice parrying though).

The armour is both for looks and utility, I can fast roll and with a Wolf's ring I have enough poise to tank one UGS strike or I could go with a DWGR and ninja flip (I'm thinking on menu-swapping depending on the host weapon, though I will also have to practice a bit).

I am not really sure on the spell selection though, I choose Poison mist on a whim really and if I find it useless I can swap it and GF for GCFB), hidden body is there mostly to try and set up ambushes; but I'm not sure if it is worthwhile in any case those 4 points can be swapped to attunement.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:34 pm

https://youtu.be/k7o39nljHwc

This video may also Aid you, it's by Fin. Though I take credit for a few of the things in it suggesting them to him.

Glory **** Tolvo here!

But yeah, you can just keep reading through that thread, I've posted a lot of useful info in it and so have many others.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:35 pm

It's not 100% but people DO tned to stay out of poison mists even though poison is a pretty weak spell. So it can definitely create some breathing room and a barrier if you need it.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:17 pm

Especially for healing. Also, HCSM is good for that.

If people cast Pursuers (a waste of 2 valuable attunement slots in the Forest, IMO), just go to some trees and lure the pursuers into hitting them.
    Dusk Soul
    Dusk Soul
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Dusk Soul Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:31 am

If Toxic mist had more casts I would use it instead of Poison mist; but alas just one cast is not enough.

What is more important in the Forest, Poise or ninja flipping?
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:00 am

Poise with Fast Roll, I invade Fat Rolling personally but unless you know how to outrun them with a slower run speed I wouldn't try that yet.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:12 am

Poise, without a doubt. I will sacrifice physical defense to get up to a poise breakpoint.
    Dusk Soul
    Dusk Soul
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Dusk Soul Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:41 am

I have fast roll and 74 poise with my current armor set up; but I'm having a hard time getting those final 2 points of poise to hit the magic number.
    Dusk Soul
    Dusk Soul
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Dusk Soul Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:18 pm

In the end I decided to go with this build. and I have managed to land some kills; but I'm still having trouble, specially landing some pyromancies. I'm considering to switch the GCFB for either a Fire Whip + Great Combustion/Fire Surge or to Chaos Fire Whip; but I've never used them before so I'm not sure.

Another tactic question, when I spawn, should I try to directly lure the host and phantoms or is waiting a better option for a relative noob like myself?

Also for some reason I find the jump to the Mushroom area (coming from Alvina's bridge) far more difficult to do than the Pharis jump (I find the little rock in to be really helpful when trying to do the jump).

reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:35 pm

That build looks good to me. When you spawn, rapidly turn the camera around. Often, you'll see the health bar(s) of the host and their phantom (if present). When you see who's there and where they are, then decide on the best way to approach them.
    Dusk Soul
    Dusk Soul
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Dusk Soul Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:46 pm

That sounds reasonable and frankly I don't know why I don't do that all the time (sometimes I wait to see where they are and other times I just rush to the stairs).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 pm