Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+22
Silver Mont
benny-the-jew
Sentiel
chaos4ever181
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
dragonbeast6
Serious_Much
FexDS
eminusx
tofucactaur
Phoenix Rising
Elifia
Marionx
tinypantha
Myztyrio
steveswede
skarekrow13
GrinTwist
RANT
Soris Ice Goldwing
Sargerus
Baal-Avatar
26 posters

Concept Art - Not Sure if Legit but Enjoy

skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Concept Art - Not Sure if Legit but Enjoy - Page 2 Empty Re: Concept Art - Not Sure if Legit but Enjoy

Post by skarekrow13 Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:02 am

While that's logical and I definitely appreciate that info, the second article nails it. Regardless of effectiveness note that women still request the feminine look on occasion. I'm always up for an engineering discussion and won't argue that boob armor is flawed for combat but I bet if you name almost any piece of in game equipment, there's something engineered poorly to get the right look (looking at you every shield handle setup). If Tarkus can have a helmet that renders him nearly blind and joints built that would make his armor as mobile as a glacier....I personally don't see an issue with a female knight requesting a breastplate that shows she's proud of having breasts
    tofucactaur
    tofucactaur
    Addicted
    Addicted

Concept Art - Not Sure if Legit but Enjoy - Page 2 Empty Re: Concept Art - Not Sure if Legit but Enjoy

Post by tofucactaur Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:15 am

I think this just generally speaks to a larger topic/issue in gaming which is the over sexualisation of the female form, definitely despite any practicality, and often to the point of absurdity. This is obviously not the case when examining male figures in almost any videogame, and probably points to outdated ideas of target audiences(teenage boys)....This seems like fairly bad work from a marketing perspective and generally I find it embarrassing as a gamer....
    I will add that Dark Souls and Demons Souls has for the most part, avoided this whole trend in the larger gaming world.
    tofucactaur
    tofucactaur
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by tofucactaur Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:25 am

also, sorry for the off topic!
    eminusx
    eminusx
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by eminusx Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:18 pm

the following artwork has been floating around for quite a while now, I think it was part of the 'official' concept art that edge magazine ran in their DS2 issue, so that would suggest its the real deal.

https://s1260.photobucket.com/user/freedomourne/media/DarkSouls2%20Concept%20Art/4fdeff79jw1e264q5ttulj.jpg.html?sort=2&o=58

so i'd be surprised if a few of the others, if not a decent percentage werent legit also. Which bodes well, some of them are pretty similar to a few of the things on my world-wish list from months back, well apart from the first idea anyway.

https://soulswiki.forumotion.com/t11926p45-imagine-if-you#282104

... a european style gothic chateau, half of which is dilapidated and has fallen into the ravine below. The path up is a spaghetti of make-shift towers and platforms jutting out of the rockface
    https://s1260.photobucket.com/user/freedomourne/media/DarkSouls2%20Concept%20Art/4fdeff79jw1e264puk4ygj.jpg.html?sort=2&o=54

. . a trading post / seaport, it has an exotic feel from the tattered eastern banners. . there are a number of seemingly empty, decrepit old galleons that are linked to eachother at various levels
    https://s1260.photobucket.com/user/freedomourne/media/DarkSouls2%20Concept%20Art/4fdeff79jw1e264uwhcibj.jpg.html?sort=2&o=13
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:18 pm

Elifia wrote:
    steveswede wrote:

Seriously is this what it's about, boob armour. I don't know if you looked people but boob armour can be legal in fights

http://bexter.adkinssoftware.com/womensarmour.html (read the first one)

I swear if this political correctness carries on over I will put up a petition to have a codpiece slot where it grants me a 100 poise when equipped because there's nothing more rigid than a codpiece.

http://martwhim.tumblr.com/post/40061546009/why-do-you-hate-the-shape-of-breasts-in-plate-armor-so
    http://l-clausewitz.livejournal.com/384382.html
    http://www.vg247.com/2011/12/16/armor-expert-expounds-on-womens-battle-armor/

Have you even read that? It's more of a rant from someone pointing out that women don't have to have armour with breast bulges nothing more. Breast bulges are a aesthetic choice much like muscle cuirass were in Roman times. Also why take anyone seriously that isn't even a blacksmith nor a tournament fighter? After all, there isn't just one type of breast bulges.
    Elifia
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elifia Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:25 pm

steveswede wrote:
    Elifia wrote:
    steveswede wrote:http://bexter.adkinssoftware.com/womensarmour.html (read the first one)

http://martwhim.tumblr.com/post/40061546009/why-do-you-hate-the-shape-of-breasts-in-plate-armor-so
    http://l-clausewitz.livejournal.com/384382.html
    http://www.vg247.com/2011/12/16/armor-expert-expounds-on-womens-battle-armor/

Have you even read that? It's more of a rant from someone pointing out that women don't have to have armour with breast bulges nothing more. Breast bulges are a aesthetic choice much like muscle cuirass were in Roman times. Also why take anyone seriously that isn't even a blacksmith nor a tournament fighter? After all, there isn't just one type of breast bulges.

Yes, I have read that. I dunno about the background of the first 2 posters, but the third one was in fact by a blacksmith. But it sure was a hell lot better than your link that was basically 1 line saying 'this is legit' without any information really backing it up. And you still haven't given any such information. Could you possibly explain what exactly is wrong about the information given in my links?
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:09 pm

Before we go too much further I'd like to just say what facts we have:

-There are real life examples of similar armor
    -It is not the ideal form factor

So the only thing left when making it in game is how you like the overall design. For me it's based on sight.

I'm either interested or I'm not in the character. Souls games have a good track record in my opinion.

Regarding this particular tangent I think we can safely veer away from both sides of an argument with one answer:

It's a video game.

For those who want accuracy and ideal engineering for equipment just remember that it only needs to be as accurate as the real life dark hand, or real life mlgs, or real life sorcery

For anyone saying there are real life examples of similar pieces, same thing. Comparisons to actual armor are nice but Souls transcend this requirement. You don't need to show me a real live sunlight maggot for me to enjoy it in game.

There's no need to devolve over a couple pictures that may or may not even be in the game
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:12 pm

Elifia wrote:Yes, I have read that. I dunno about the background of the first 2 posters, but the third one was in fact by a blacksmith. But it sure was a hell lot better than your link that was basically 1 line saying 'this is legit' without any information really backing it up. And you still haven't given any such information. Could you possibly explain what exactly is wrong about the information given in my links?

Oh dear I thought there was just one link, didn't notice that there were three.

The argument that seems to be the case in that first post is practicality, not if armour was done like that in the past or if breast bulged armour is legal in tournaments. Bex, the one who owns that armour claims that whoever made it said it's legal for tournaments. We also have other pictures of women further down donning boob bulges in a tournament with a link to pictures with some women having similar designs. We also have men wearing muscle cuirass in Roman times that have the same design flaw. All this says to me is that wearers of armour with breast bulges obviously like having them regardless of the flaws. All armour is different and can be made of very different materials from leather to wood to steel to different designs for different combat situations so all armour pieces have their strengths and weaknesses. These posts about it is nothing more than political correctness about perceived objectification over practically, it's only there to appease males. It's one weak argument to bolster an agenda and completely irrelevant not only to real tournaments where they set their own rules on what's legal or not but irrelevant to video game where physics on armour shape doesn't and most like won't exist.

If you have an issue with the armour then don't wear it.
    FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Post by FexDS Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:22 pm

Ok, before I start banning a bunch of people.

This site is owned by a very assertive woman. Don't try and push MRA here because you will lose.

Warning issued. Proceed at your own risk.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:26 pm

FexDS wrote:Ok, before I start banning a bunch of people.

This site is owned by a very assertive woman. Don't try and push MRA here because you will lose.

Warning issued. Proceed at your own risk.

You forgot the Evil Fex

lol!
    FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Post by FexDS Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:30 pm

I am saving it for the banning post
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:38 pm

MRA? What dat mean?
    dragonbeast6
    dragonbeast6
    Casual
    Casual

Post by dragonbeast6 Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:39 pm

Love the boat picture
    FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Post by FexDS Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:43 pm

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mra
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:46 pm

Just to clarify I ain't an MRA, nor share their views.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:48 pm

Lol, thanks Fex. That's the kinda thing I'm a little happy saying I want aware of.

I've been meaning to point out one of the female characters seems to have some Native American influence in the design. I think it works well
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:49 pm

I love the ladies, bulge armor or no bulge armor. Concept Art - Not Sure if Legit but Enjoy - Page 2 1685182534
    chaos4ever181
    chaos4ever181
    Regular
    Regular

Post by chaos4ever181 Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:21 pm

I kinda knew these concepts would come out. Didn't From say that the game would take place near the ocean? This makes me believe that these images are legit, even if they are just concept art. Can't wait for the final product though, they remind me of home of my ancestors from Greece. Wouldn't mind going back there again. bounce thumbs up Sun Praise the Sun
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:01 am

Serious_Much wrote:the second picture looks kinda like the starting town from dragon's dogma
    LoL
    So ture. big grin

All those pictures look fantastic.
    Can't wait to see the ship stuck between those high rocks on the game. If it's not gonna fall down with the player I will be severely dissapointed.
    benny-the-jew
    benny-the-jew

Post by benny-the-jew Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:06 am

I really hope here is something like this in the game. It has a very "Zdzislaw Beksinski" vibe to it, and I have been yearning for a game to have locations and imagery inspired by his stuff.

Concept Art - Not Sure if Legit but Enjoy - Page 2 4fdeff79jw1e264vrdzchj
    Silver Mont
    Silver Mont
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Silver Mont Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:06 am

Whether or not it's going to be in the game, some of that imagery is really neat. I especially like the one of the huge dragon-like creature. And this demonstrates more of what they meant when they said that the game would have a coastal setting.

With the breastplate? I love games where weapons and armour have a degree of realism to them, but I have no problem with the really wacky stuff too (Lautrec, Kirk, Smough) and judging from the looks of her helm and high epaulette, it could well be ceremonial armour. I don't think it's much anything to be worried about.

As for the supposed time-travel / before+after type art? Well, maybe that has something to do with the gameplay demo with the drake bridge. Perhaps once that happens, you are forced to find another way across, which involves going forwards or backwards in time? I'm not sure how such a thing could work, but then I'm curious to see whether it leans more towards Dark Souls or Demon's Souls, when it comes to the hub and world in general.
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:10 pm

All of the new concept art is getting my hype lvl over 9000, but the release dates just makes me depressed.
    chaos4ever181
    chaos4ever181
    Regular
    Regular

Post by chaos4ever181 Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:52 pm

Juutas wrote:All of the new concept art is getting my hype lvl over 9000, but the release dates just makes me depressed.

As long as From Software reveals a good chunk of the game, a trailer, or a bunch of Dark Souls II E3 demos like with Dark Souls a couple years ago, It'd could tide me over for it's March release.
    phastings
    phastings
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by phastings Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:55 pm

I posted these before seeing this thread. Looks like most of these could be legit. However, I question the bottom female character in the native/indigenous/tribal outfit, as that doesn't fit the aesthetic of the Souls games. - given that this character shows up on a few of the town environments could mean those are concepts for another game, or a From artist shopped her into the pics for scale reference..

the majority look like they could in fact be from From Software. An inhabited town would be cool, so long as it acted like the central hub, as the feeling of being alone in a dangerous world while venturing out of the safe zone is key to souls games. Plus, u have to factor in the summoning of white phantoms, which gives the emotional relief of having another to assist you in a desolate environment where everything else wants to kill you.

always like getting a peak at concept art, as it gives an idea the direction the developers are heading and is fun to imagine what they have in store for us.
    Halicarnassis
    Halicarnassis
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Halicarnassis Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:16 am

I think the concept art is wicked! It reminds me of the booklet that came Demon Souls. I poured over that when I got it and spent ages gawping at the artwork! Some of the armours are neat too. I hope we get unique armour sets like in Demon Souls, cos that was cool.
    The crumbling walls on thos 2 pics on page one of this thread almost look like the DLC content where Gough is sitting with his bow.
    I'll agree with Serious - the American Indian looking girl is way too bubbly to be in that delapidated town... maybe she's the final boss just trolling us! Concept Art - Not Sure if Legit but Enjoy - Page 2 3563967992

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 pm