Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

A Lunar Guide: Fighting magic

LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

A Lunar Guide: Fighting magic Empty A Lunar Guide: Fighting magic

Post by LunarFog Thu May 30, 2013 2:29 pm

Let's start with the obvious: anti-magic spells

SORCERIES
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Magic Shield - Requires 10 int. Raises shield magic defense by 30%, up to a maximum of 90%

Strong Magic Shield - Requires 15 int. Raises all resistances to 100%

CONS: Only lasts for 15 seconds

TIPS: Using magic/strong magic shield on Dark Hand will not change it's appearance.
    Requires testing: Shields may not have their appearance change if under the effect of Ring of Fog or Hidden body
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hidden Body - Requires 14 int. Lowers lock on range and almost completely stops Pursuers/homing soul mass from ever firing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MIRACLES
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Force/Wrath of Gods - Requires 12/28 Faith. When timed correctly, the spells can deflect incoming sorceries.

Cons: Lag.
    Tips: Simlar effects: Dragon Roar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Magic Barrier/Great Magic Barrier - Requires 14 faith/24 faith. Reduces Magic damage by 70/90%.

Tips: Lasts pretty long. Allows you to double hand you weapon and just charge through crystal soul spears without having to worry at all. Even the normal Magic Barrier is a godsend against magic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vow of Silence - Requires 30 faith. People can't cast any spells as long as it's active and they're close enough to you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Those are all the spells. Now for you non-magic people who are struggling against magic, it's not all about getting a shield with high magic defense and trying to fight them like normal. You have to play by a certain mindset.

It's simple. Whenever you see someone pull out a catalyst/flame/talisman, go on the defensive. The Achilles heel to magic users is that their spells run out. As soon as you know they can cast spells, your goal should switch from "Kill this person" to "Dodge this person's magic". The only time you should attack is if you're baiting them into casting more. I'm not kidding when I say that everytime I fight a magic user, the fight always turns into a game of waiting and rolling. I never attack unless he either puts the catalyst/flame/talisman away, or he went for so long without casting a spell that I can be sure that he doesn't have any more.

Once the magic runs out is when the real fight begins.
    SirArchmage
    SirArchmage
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

A Lunar Guide: Fighting magic Empty Re: A Lunar Guide: Fighting magic

Post by SirArchmage Thu May 30, 2013 4:09 pm

I have a build made purely for stopping magic users of all kinds. It is in the last topic I made, and I would post it if I wasn't on my phone.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Thu May 30, 2013 4:54 pm

I honestly think magic is just a weapon with a complex move set. Just like a weapon I'd rather dodge completely than block and take chip. Just like a weapon it has some start up frames I'd like to punish, either hard enough to break their poise or simply by BSing them. Similarly some of the attacks are punishable with roll BS. Just like a weapon it has set properties like range, damage, "swing" speed.

Really honestly truly I think if you approach magic as if it were a weapon you'll end up making good decisions and emerge victorious. It just happens to be a weapon with a diverse move set, amazing range and seriously high damage output.
    KrazykevS10
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by KrazykevS10 Thu May 30, 2013 5:57 pm

I don't find it hard to dodge magic/miracles except for that goddamned dark bead.The only reliable counter to it is magic barrier and that's what I hate about it.You can just roll through or sideways when someone casts absolutely anything else and stab them.You roll behind them and get killed anyway.My point is that the majority of magic can be avoided simply by rolling,I wouldn't advise rolling into a fire tempest but doing it going away from the caster works.And don't rag on the crest shield,it can save your life if you are in a situation in which you can't roll like near a cliff.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Thu May 30, 2013 7:25 pm

Note: Dragon roar does NOT deflect Dark Magic. I've done testing, accounted for lag, and DLC magic goes right through the roar. I have no clue what it's like for WoG.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Thu May 30, 2013 7:39 pm

If you want the ultimate in Anti-mage tactics, roll this build. http://mmdks.com/2jcw Armor is chosen for highest magic defense, you don't need poise against a caster until they run out of magic and whip out a rapier or spear, and stats are balanced for best magic defense and protection against casters.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:47 pm