Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+39
Odinbear
Juutas
Mr. Tart
reim0027
IV_Mark_VI
Jansports
CrackSouls
Slarg232
XachAttack
EarthScraper
IIdoneus
CephGabriel
Brigade
lordgodofhell
Sneezer
Uparkaam
AnCapaillMor
shadowzninjaz
StiffNipples
Carphil
twigsterxd
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Satoshi
Forum Pirate
Maneater_Mildred
Animaaal
WaffleGuy
Werdax
GrinTwist
tonberryking01
Nightmare Moon
LunarFog
Sentiel
Serious_Much
Marino.
Soris Ice Goldwing
KrazykevS10
Ghadis_God
Dibsville
43 posters

Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest)

Poll

Why didn't you duel-wield?

[ 12 ]
    Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest) I_vote_lcap20%Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest) I_vote_rcap [20%] 
    [ 9 ]
    Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest) I_vote_lcap15%Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest) I_vote_rcap [15%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest) I_vote_lcap3%Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest) I_vote_rcap [3%] 
    [ 7 ]
    Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest) I_vote_lcap12%Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest) I_vote_rcap [12%] 
    [ 7 ]
    Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest) I_vote_lcap12%Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest) I_vote_rcap [12%] 
    [ 13 ]
    Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest) I_vote_lcap22%Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest) I_vote_rcap [22%] 
    [ 9 ]
    Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest) I_vote_lcap15%Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest) I_vote_rcap [15%] 

Total Votes: 59
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest) Empty Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest)

Post by Dibsville Sun May 26, 2013 1:10 pm

As I'm sure many other people did, I tried duel-wielding on my first playthrough and found that it was actually bad. Well, at least back then it was. But currently, I find duel-wielding to be very helpful, and I even do duel-wielding runs because it's just easier to have more variety. So my question is, why did you stay away from duel-wielding, if you ever even tried it? Or if you caught on with your first try, how did you manage without your shield?
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest) Empty Re: Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest)

Post by Ghadis_God Sun May 26, 2013 1:17 pm

I only dual wield occasionally but one of my favorite combinations is something I don't usually talk about because I like to keep it special, and very few people I know have thought of it because it's so crazy. Heck, I rarely even use it because I consider it overpowered for a duel.
    KrazykevS10
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest) Empty Re: Why didn't you duel-wield? (be honest)

Post by KrazykevS10 Sun May 26, 2013 1:18 pm

Two weapons at once are very rarely as useful as having a shield and just using the D-pad to switch.I think dual wielding is cool but just not very practical.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Sun May 26, 2013 1:22 pm

Ghadis_God wrote:I only dual wield occasionally but one of my favorite combinations is something I don't usually talk about because I like to keep it special, and very few people I know have thought of it because it's so crazy. Heck, I rarely even use it because I consider it overpowered for a duel.
    I've literally had Forest hosts who were ganking me compliment my duel-wielding skills when I used odd weapon combinations to kill them. Whenever I get one of those, it's just a major boost to me wanting to duel-wield.

Have you tried a Halberd off-hand yet? It's a great finisher for people who are backpedaling.
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Sun May 26, 2013 1:25 pm

My issue with dual-wielding was the combination issue. It did not feel smooth or the weapons did not complement each other with the flow of the swings feeling rigid and stiff and I could not find it effective enough to use.
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Sun May 26, 2013 2:07 pm

What do you mean by Dual Wielding ?
    Two of the same Weapons in both Hands ? Or just having a Weapon in the Left Hand ?

The proper Weapon you could Dual Wield properly would be Bonewheel Shields Katanas since the L1 is slightly faster and has many uses in PVP, dor example if i parry someone i could use the L1 if my Enemy has enough Poise to withstand it and then Riposte him .

But i'm no Katana User so i ditched it .

I occasionally wield a Spear or a Whip in the left Hand, the Spear is fast and has good Range while the Whip can't be parried but you can parry with it .
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Sun May 26, 2013 2:10 pm

Marino. wrote:What do you mean by Dual Wielding ?
    Two of the same Weapons in both Hands ? Or just having a Weapon in the Left Hand ?
    Having two weapons, doesn't matter what they are.

Marino. wrote:Katanas since the L1 is slightly faster and has many uses in PVP, dor example if i parry someone i could use the L1 if my Enemy has enough Poise to withstand it and then Riposte him .
    So a burrito?

Whip is a great off-hand.
    You should really try a Straight Sword off-hand, the recovery time on it is insane.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun May 26, 2013 2:19 pm

On my first playthrough? lol no thankyou I'd much rather have my beautiful eagle shield back when it was 100% physical resist :razz:
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Sun May 26, 2013 2:21 pm

I want to be either able to defend, or be able to parry. Without either of those two, I feel "naked" and vulnerable. Since I prefer Rapier, a shield goes very well with it, while another weapon would not. Perhaps a dagger, or PGS (my dual wielding favourite)?
    Hmmm...

Other than that. Dual wielding always looked and felt kinda clumsy. Movesets are usually horrible and the result never seemed worth the risk.

For example Gold Tracer looks great off hand, but it actually isn't very practical, because it's attacks have long animations and it can't parry.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Sun May 26, 2013 2:27 pm

I only dual-wield to look cool.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun May 26, 2013 2:28 pm

I feel for dual wielding, the offhand weapon should either parry, or do a modified 'block'

To me, statically blocking with an offhand weapon makes no sense, so here's what I propose:

A blocking mechanic that uses timing. It would have a similar, but much slower and easier animation to use. when you press 'block' you would would move to block an attack. The perfect point of the animation is 100% block, then down the animation all the way to 50% as you get earlier with your timing, till there is no block.

Rewards skill, means weapons that block aren't complete horse crap. Win/win?
    Nightmare Moon
    Nightmare Moon
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Nightmare Moon Sun May 26, 2013 2:37 pm

I never managed to find any good weapon combo's that i liked using unfortunatley sad i really want to start though
    tonberryking01
    tonberryking01
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by tonberryking01 Sun May 26, 2013 3:34 pm

I've currently been trying a dual-claws playthrough. I have one lightning and one chaos. It looks cool, and does pretty good damage against most enemies, but some bosses just shrug off the damage. Overall, dual-wielding rarely adds anything to a build except looks, but after playing this game for so long, that's really all I'm going for.

I haven't used whips very often, but parrying with one sounds awesome! I'll have to try an offhand whip soon.
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Sun May 26, 2013 4:23 pm

I still do dual wield, just not that often.

Normally it's just because the style I'm trying to do just doesn't involve dual wielding a weapon.
    Werdax
    Werdax
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Werdax Sun May 26, 2013 5:21 pm

I tried duel-wielding multiple times, but I only used the LH weapon on rare occasions. Without a proper use, the LH weapon is purely cosmetic. I've found the lack of a shield to be a rather minimal dilemma.
    WaffleGuy
    WaffleGuy
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by WaffleGuy Sun May 26, 2013 5:26 pm

I dual wield bows on my archer, just to make clear to others that I'm a bow only character. Two weapons are managable, but it's just not smooth enough silly
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sun May 26, 2013 5:43 pm

I'll dual wield a spear left-handed with the DWGR and Strong Magic Shield. You have to have the stamina to pull it off though.

SMS helps on stamina drain, but its reduction is based on stability. In other words, you can't tank, but SMS on a spear still blocks 100% damage.
    Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

Post by Maneater_Mildred Sun May 26, 2013 5:44 pm

Never stopped.
    Only use a shield if I'm helping others as a sunbro, need to protect the host from their own stupidity lol.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun May 26, 2013 5:53 pm

Can't block properly. Not acceptable.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sun May 26, 2013 5:54 pm

Since shields are upgraded as weapons...aren't we all just closet dual wielders?...

...don't judge me. not talking
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Sun May 26, 2013 6:13 pm

Dual wielding Claws compliments each other because the offhand claw does the strong attack instead of the weak, which can be chained right, left, right, left. They have good range and it carries you forward pretty far.
    Satoshi
    Satoshi
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Satoshi Sun May 26, 2013 6:55 pm

I started dual wielding as soon as I got to Firelink Shrine on my first playthrough. I ended up at the graveyard and got the Zweihander. With that in my off-hand and my Longsword in my main-hand, I had an easy time.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Sun May 26, 2013 7:53 pm

off hand demons spear and main hand curved sword, they actually combo together quite well, and i had a shield as a back up when neede any way so...
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Sun May 26, 2013 8:15 pm

I don't dual wield because of my arthritis. My left hand can't move fast enough for a weapon. Also, i'm so used to shielding I forget it's a weapon LOL
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Sun May 26, 2013 9:37 pm

Because its simply not pratical

If you want to block you pick a shield

If you want to parry you pick anything

If you want to attack you use the main hand since every move its the same anyway

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:50 am