Dark Magic build

twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Dark Magic build

Post by twigsterxd on Sun May 26, 2013 9:48 am

After going thru 6 pages of a search, I never found wut I need. I was on youtube yesterday checking out 1 shot kill challenges. All the vids I saw were dark magic users so I decided to try it.
    My questions are; Do certain covens like DW make your magic more powerful? On 2 of the videos they start showing dark ending. Is that better? What weapons are best? I just wanna try it and see if I can 1 shot the bosses. I've never played a hyper dark mage before so it will be a good challenge for me, (offline of course to keep you invaders away lol).
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Re: Dark Magic build

Post by Dibsville on Sun May 26, 2013 11:48 am

I'll give you a good magic build to start your dark magic career with.
    http://mmdks.com/2h8r

Higher HP will give you some leniency.

Once you're comfortable with that, you can move on and try experimenting with things on your own.
    For example. Common sense says Tin Crystallization Catalyst has higher MagAdj than Manus Catalyst, but further testing shows that Manus Catalyst actually increases Dark Magic damage, so Manus will outdamage Crystal when you use Dark Magic.

Things like these will come naturally when you experiment with magic, so don't be afraid to do so. Find the things that you have the most fun with.

No, certain things are not better than others. One ending is just as good as the other, Etc. I prefer the Dark ending myself...

Also, if you wanted to PvP with that build, you can just swap RTSR for Wolf Ring.

twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd on Sun May 26, 2013 1:15 pm

Does covenant matter? I'm assuming DW but not entirely sure how covens work. Weapon can be my choice? And light, med or heavy armour, or a mixture?
    The videos I saw they all used CTC and I like it for the 240 ar happy but, I will try out manus cat.

Visit http://fextralife.com

subscribe, have fun, keep the site going
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG on Sun May 26, 2013 1:16 pm

Magnus is good but very heavy, with the correct stats (say 40-40-18Int), you can use the Demon's Catalyst and that also increases the power of dark sorceries. STR scaling is what makes it more powerful, but you have to have lower INT to really make use of it. I suggest you just stick with the correct 'normal' catalyst (26 and less use Oolacile, 27-40 Sorcerer/Izalith/Beatrice, 41->Logan's), and not spam super powered spells, but use them at the right time and they will work for you.

Dark Fog is not amazing, but I consider it overall better than the pyro mist spells. It does more damage and goes directly where you cast it, instead of flying over there.

Dark Orb is my least favorite, it seems to be a more damaging Heavy Soul Arrow, just use Soul Spear or Cry Soul Spear in my mind.

Pursuers only give 3 casts (1.5, turns into 1 with Tin Crystal and Magnus) for 2 slots, but they really can control the space you set yourself, it also protects you if you want to shoot some arrows. I wear the Ring of Fog to protect myself from it, it doesn't work almost at all if you wear it.

Dark Bead is really good, and probably overall the best, but many people think its too good, when really its easy to dodge and you hold the catalyst so high up, you can miss people who are point blank (and probably killing you).

On my low level magic character, I have 1 Dark Bead, 1 Purserer, and 1 Soul Spear (depends on what INT I want to use, I use Cry Soul Spear, but both are really good).

See my youtube channel, with Dark Souls Prepare to Die (spoilers):
    www.youtube.com/user/RavenWolfStarcraft2
    See my livestream to watch me do it live (spoilers):
    http://www.twitch.tv/ravenwolfstarcraft2
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville on Sun May 26, 2013 1:19 pm

Covenants do not matter.
    If you're going with a mage of any type, light armour suits you best, unless you're Rosie.
    You could mix in a few medium armours, such as a piece of Knight equipment, but for the most part you're going to want to go all light.

Your weapon can be your choice, but BSS is a great Spellsword, so I'd recommend that if you want to have a buff for huge damage.

A good idea is to have both TCC and Manus on in different slots, so you can swap between the two for normal magic and Dark Magic. (Note that wearing both at once does not cut your spells twice, you still have only half your casts, not ¼ of them).

twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd on Sun May 26, 2013 1:28 pm

Brainfarting here Dibs...BSS?
    ICEFANG I wouldn't use dark orb or fog anyways cause they seem a little cheesy to me lol. Dark fog to me would be for PvP invaders and I'm playing offline. Dark orb I just don't get lol

Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville on Sun May 26, 2013 1:29 pm

BSS = Balder Side Sword.

twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd on Sun May 26, 2013 1:33 pm

I went to ask u in chat but u left lol
    Thx guys, gonna try it out soon

LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog on Sun May 26, 2013 2:24 pm

Few things you should know:

1.) Use Manus catalyst
    2.) Dark Magic used with manus catalyst scales with strength along with intelligence
    3.) Dex increases how fast you can cast spells
    4.) Bellowing Dragoncrest ring, Crown of dusk/Crown of Dark Sun, Power Within, and Dragon roar all increase spell damage.
    5.) Using the ring of Dusk doubles your castings and counters the manus catalyst.
    6.) As a mage you want to be <25% weight, and if you can, stealthy.

http://mmdks.com/2haa - Dark magic glass cannon.

twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd on Sun May 26, 2013 3:23 pm

i'll try both builds and see which one fits me best. Only with low end, it makes it harder to be a hypered type mage

ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG on Sun May 26, 2013 4:13 pm

You can do what I do and use Dragonform, its a great way to add some defensive 'spells' and you won't have any armor to weigh you down.

twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd on Sun May 26, 2013 8:38 pm

ICEFANG wrote:You can do what I do and use Dragonform, its a great way to add some defensive 'spells' and you won't have any armor to weigh you down.
    True but the main objective for this build was to do a 1 shot boss challenge. I mainly only use spells for bosses and heavy armoured mobs like the BK's.
    I'm not a full magic only user yet so for defensive spells, i'm not sure if i'll need them. Also depends on wut defensive spells are. I don't really know the difference.

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal on Sun May 26, 2013 9:18 pm

Keep in mind that the "Dragon body buff" only buffs melee, not magic/castings.

Also, dexterity starts scaling pyros at 35, but most (not all) sorceries do not scale until you reach 45 dex. If you're playing offline, then don't increase dexterity, its not very useful for what you're trying to do.

***edit***

If you decide you want to pvp with a mage,
    then check out this thread:For tha Love of Castings
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd on Thu May 30, 2013 11:20 am

Animaaal wrote:Keep in mind that the "Dragon body buff" only buffs melee, not magic/castings.

Also, dexterity starts scaling pyros at 35, but most (not all) sorceries do not scale until you reach 45 dex. If you're playing offline, then don't increase dexterity, its not very useful for what you're trying to do.

***edit***

Actually high dex would help bro. If I'm doing a hypered dark mage, and dex makes your casts faster, I'm gonna be needing high dex so I don't die soon as I enter boss fog lol.

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal on Thu May 30, 2013 3:55 pm

twigsterxd wrote:
    Animaaal wrote:Keep in mind that the "Dragon body buff" only buffs melee, not magic/castings.

***edit***

Actually high dex would help bro. If I'm doing a hypered dark mage, and dex makes your casts faster, I'm gonna be needing high dex so I don't die soon as I enter boss fog lol.

I'm sorry, but high dexterity would not help you with what you're trying to do.

Your stat allocation would be much better distributed elsewhere. If you check out this thread (link ava in For Tha Love of Castings): Comprehensive survey of dexterity's impact on sorcery casting speed

You'll see that Dark Magics are not heavily effected by casting time manipulation. Dark Bead (most commonly used for 1 shots with Dark Magic) only get a boost of 9-10%. Combine that with a 20% decrease in pyro casting time then you have something...for pvp.

You'll find the casting times are just fine for pve the way they are. Combustions don't need the boost in pvp, and definitely not in pve.

I'm just sayin if you research a little more, you might find dexterity mages are not as effective as you might think...imo...in pve.

Last edited by Animaaal on Thu May 30, 2013 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd on Thu May 30, 2013 4:32 pm

Maybe that's why I'm making a new build....lol Think I messed something up. Gonna try the examples you guys gave me over.

Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports on Thu May 30, 2013 5:48 pm

Animaaal wrote:
    You'll find the casting times are just fine for pve the way they are. Combustions don't need the boost in pvp.

Kick -> GC is only guaranteed at 45 dex.

as for the 1 shot boss challenge (I like Vageta311's version where you have to earn levels by one shotting things) You basically just keep pumping INT until around 44-50 depending on if you want to stop at CSS or WDB. Then level strength. As with the Manus Catalyst strength ups the damage of dark sorcery like dark bead.

As for PvP. If I were to pvp with the Manus Catalyst in mind http://mmdks.com/2jb3

I'd probably do something like that.

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal on Thu May 30, 2013 5:52 pm

Jansports wrote:...Kick -> GC is only guaranteed at 45 dex...

Yep. Jansports was wise to point that out. I think it might also be necessary for kick-->Dark Bead, not sure though.

Just make sure you base your build around a weapon that can kick. No %$#$ Animaaal you say???...well...I've never done that...ever...not even once...I've just heard...that its happened....to someone.....somewhere.... straight face

No seriously though big grin . It's just that some of the best dex weapons don't have a kick, ya that's my excuse.
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd on Thu May 30, 2013 9:28 pm

WTF are you talking about? Weapons that kick? Do you mean weapons that allow my toon to kick a player? Never heard of a kicking weapon before

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal on Thu May 30, 2013 10:29 pm

Yes. All weapons have a default "kick" animation. Some weapons however, have their "kick" replaced by something else. The falchion does a flip animation, and the rapier has a stab-step back animation for instance.

However, these are most useful in pvp, not in pve. So it might just be useless ramblings for what you're trying to do.
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 on Thu May 30, 2013 10:45 pm

ok here is my badboy http://mmdks.com/2iln it can own

Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG on Thu May 30, 2013 10:47 pm

This was highly informative thank you.

twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd on Fri May 31, 2013 6:06 pm

Animaaal wrote:Yes. All weapons have a default "kick" animation. Some weapons however, have their "kick" replaced by something else. The falchion does a flip animation, and the rapier has a stab-step back animation for instance.

However, these are most useful in pvp, not in pve. So it might just be useless ramblings for what you're trying to do.
    So you mean the move you make if you try to kick a guys shield but you somersault with Q's fury sword?

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal on Fri May 31, 2013 9:46 pm

^ Yep.

For weapons that kick, Jans was pointing out how the kick-->Great Combustion/Black Flame combo is practically guaranteed at 45 dex, because of the 20-25% decrease in casting time those pyros receive.

I know your build wasn't focused on pvp, but that should clear up why that was all said.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:25 am