An appeal to common sense

    Share
    avatar
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 25
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    An appeal to common sense

    Post by Serious_Much on Fri May 24, 2013 6:12 pm

    So as you guys may or may not know, a lot has happened in the last couple of days, and a couple members have been banned as a result. The bad thing is, they weren't that bad people, they weren't trolls. They were just being stupid.

    I see people obsessing over the fact that a guy got a ban from ONE website on the internet- suddenly it's like someones been executed, there's an uproar! Complaining, and another person pushes it too far, questioning E's judgement (I read his thread before it got removed), and it's appalling and just bemused me.

    The fact is I even told you guys that you shouldn't complain- I'd been in a similar situation before and I know how stupid it was in retrospect. I don't want you guys to do same as me and get bans for dumb stuff. Please, just use your heads and realise it's not worth it.

    In the end, what's done is done. Let it rest. I think every last one of us will agree the admins and mods do an awesome job of running this place and being our moral compass when things start going astray, and we should trust their judgement. Unerringly.

    Both of these bans could have been avoided, and they've been a case of certain individuals not thinking about what they're writing before they post, or PM. I think it should be a lesson- just remember things said here can have an impact, even if you don't think so.


    _________________
    PSN and other stuff:
    PSN: HolyPK9 "You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"

    Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

    Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

    Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

    PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    avatar
    Encore
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 4317
    Reputation : 28
    Join date : 2013-05-12
    Age : 20
    Location : Bracing myself for the Winds of Change, being supported by the towering pillars of my friends.

    Re: An appeal to common sense

    Post by Encore on Fri May 24, 2013 6:25 pm

    I do have to ask, Who is the other person that got banned? I also understand if that is a matter that should not be discussed.


    _________________
    It is all like the repeating drip of thickening oil...

    Song of Myself
    avatar
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 25
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    Re: An appeal to common sense

    Post by Serious_Much on Fri May 24, 2013 6:30 pm

    DemonofFate I believe.


    _________________
    PSN and other stuff:
    PSN: HolyPK9 "You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"

    Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

    Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

    Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

    PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    avatar
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3748
    Reputation : 112
    Join date : 2012-09-14
    Age : 22
    Location : The Void.

    Re: An appeal to common sense

    Post by Mr. Tart on Fri May 24, 2013 6:31 pm

    It's a matter of perspective, Serious. I'm not gonna lie, I have my doubts about certain people right now, but I try to stand neutral and the matter and consider everything possible. I've seen it from both the banned people's views and the views of the mods and, I came with the conclusion that, like I said, it's a matter of perspective. I know it's not all about a certain being banned for a certain post, but some things came out of that, which lead to this situation. I'm sad though, because two of my friends were banned from here.


    _________________
    XBL Gamertag: xFingeR PaiNtx PSN ID: Mr_Tartington
    "I have returned. After an eternity away from you all, Jack of Blades is back!"
    avatar
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1351
    Reputation : 51
    Join date : 2012-08-07
    Age : 26

    Re: An appeal to common sense

    Post by Slarg232 on Fri May 24, 2013 6:32 pm

    Common Sense: I don't own or moderate the forums, so I listen to the people who do silly


    _________________


    avatar
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3748
    Reputation : 112
    Join date : 2012-09-14
    Age : 22
    Location : The Void.

    Re: An appeal to common sense

    Post by Mr. Tart on Fri May 24, 2013 6:32 pm

    The recent players were from my understanding, and I assume it's fine to say it since Serious here mentioned one, Elysium, RenegadeCop and DemonOfFate. That's from what I've understood. Of course, Ren isn't entirely part of this situation, but I decided to name him as well.


    _________________
    XBL Gamertag: xFingeR PaiNtx PSN ID: Mr_Tartington
    "I have returned. After an eternity away from you all, Jack of Blades is back!"
    avatar
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 25
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    Re: An appeal to common sense

    Post by Serious_Much on Fri May 24, 2013 6:34 pm

    Like I said tart, the only thing really is to learn from it and move on.

    They both fell to ill judgement in sensitive subjects. We should just ensure noone else does the same.


    _________________
    PSN and other stuff:
    PSN: HolyPK9 "You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"

    Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

    Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

    Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

    PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    avatar
    Encore
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 4317
    Reputation : 28
    Join date : 2013-05-12
    Age : 20
    Location : Bracing myself for the Winds of Change, being supported by the towering pillars of my friends.

    Re: An appeal to common sense

    Post by Encore on Fri May 24, 2013 6:36 pm

    Now, I have no idea what it´s all ´bout. I have my opinions, sure, but those are best kept to myself.


    _________________
    It is all like the repeating drip of thickening oil...

    Song of Myself
    avatar
    ResIsBestStat
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1863
    Reputation : 6
    Join date : 2013-03-25
    Age : 19
    Location : I'm homeless

    Re: An appeal to common sense

    Post by ResIsBestStat on Fri May 24, 2013 6:37 pm

    Ok, I return from a hard week of exams to try to find out what Reneage is cooking in his pot of randomness and he gets banned...
    I'm not blaming the mods, Reneage's comment was pretty grim too, but i think the ban was rushed imo
    avatar
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3748
    Reputation : 112
    Join date : 2012-09-14
    Age : 22
    Location : The Void.

    Re: An appeal to common sense

    Post by Mr. Tart on Fri May 24, 2013 6:37 pm

    Indeed, that is the better option. I don't fully see why this topic is made though. If we're suppose to move on I mean. Discussing it like this will never end it. All we do is prolong it, keep it alive. We've lost Ren, Elysium and Demon. Whether they were good reasons or not does not matter, because we can't change it anyway. Discussing it won't exactly help, so we're better off just move on. That's what I think anyhow.


    _________________
    XBL Gamertag: xFingeR PaiNtx PSN ID: Mr_Tartington
    "I have returned. After an eternity away from you all, Jack of Blades is back!"
    avatar
    Encore
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 4317
    Reputation : 28
    Join date : 2013-05-12
    Age : 20
    Location : Bracing myself for the Winds of Change, being supported by the towering pillars of my friends.

    Re: An appeal to common sense

    Post by Encore on Fri May 24, 2013 6:38 pm

    But Ren was warned... I was there for that whole ordeal...


    _________________
    It is all like the repeating drip of thickening oil...

    Song of Myself
    avatar
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3748
    Reputation : 112
    Join date : 2012-09-14
    Age : 22
    Location : The Void.

    Re: An appeal to common sense

    Post by Mr. Tart on Fri May 24, 2013 6:40 pm

    Tehdoomgrasp wrote:Now, I have no idea what it´s all ´bout. I have my opinions, sure, but those are best kept to myself.

    I think that's good pointing out. I'm a very open person, and I would likely share my opinions with anyone. It's not like I would insult someone just because i may disagree with some of the things they do or if I doubt them. I do doubt a certain someone, I admit that, but I still respect all the work done here.

    That's why I don't think sharing your thoughts on the matter would be a problem, as long as you think about what you say. There's no need to insult anyone, because at the end of the day, we all have different opinions, and that's something we all know and respect. It's what makes us us.


    _________________
    XBL Gamertag: xFingeR PaiNtx PSN ID: Mr_Tartington
    "I have returned. After an eternity away from you all, Jack of Blades is back!"
    avatar
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 25
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    Re: An appeal to common sense

    Post by Serious_Much on Fri May 24, 2013 6:41 pm

    This was not created as a discussion thread.

    Learn from the mistakes of others and move on.

    This post was made for you all to contemplate for your own good, not comment on.


    _________________
    PSN and other stuff:
    PSN: HolyPK9 "You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"

    Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

    Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

    Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

    PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    avatar
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

    Posts : 4921
    Reputation : 90
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 21
    Location : Brazil

    Re: An appeal to common sense

    Post by Carphil on Fri May 24, 2013 7:31 pm

    Its just Serious opinion.

    It was a tough subject, but the past its the past, just let it go and move on.


    _________________
    It may take a day or ten thousand years, but I will find her. This is a promise.

    I'm not the chosen one, I'm the one who chose to be more.

    Carphil_BR on PSN :bas:
    avatar
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

    Posts : 9377
    Reputation : 134
    Join date : 2013-03-09
    Age : 20
    Location : Gensōkyō

    Re: An appeal to common sense

    Post by Dibsville on Fri May 24, 2013 7:41 pm

    Over it.
    Elysium got banned?


    _________________
    PSN: Dibsville
    The Exiled of Ariamis; join the cause!
    EarthScraper wrote:OK, now I've just learnt that you never mess with Dibs on a Dark Souls topic, cause he will put you down.
    avatar
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3748
    Reputation : 112
    Join date : 2012-09-14
    Age : 22
    Location : The Void.

    Re: An appeal to common sense

    Post by Mr. Tart on Fri May 24, 2013 7:43 pm

    From what I'm told, yes, she was. Now, since Serious didn't want this topic full of discussions, maybe it is time we get it locked?


    _________________
    XBL Gamertag: xFingeR PaiNtx PSN ID: Mr_Tartington
    "I have returned. After an eternity away from you all, Jack of Blades is back!"
    avatar
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

    Posts : 9377
    Reputation : 134
    Join date : 2013-03-09
    Age : 20
    Location : Gensōkyō

    Re: An appeal to common sense

    Post by Dibsville on Fri May 24, 2013 7:45 pm

    Why did Elysium get banned?


    _________________
    PSN: Dibsville
    The Exiled of Ariamis; join the cause!
    EarthScraper wrote:OK, now I've just learnt that you never mess with Dibs on a Dark Souls topic, cause he will put you down.
    avatar
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3748
    Reputation : 112
    Join date : 2012-09-14
    Age : 22
    Location : The Void.

    Re: An appeal to common sense

    Post by Mr. Tart on Fri May 24, 2013 7:46 pm

    I don't know for sure and I think it's better not to discuss openly like this.


    _________________
    XBL Gamertag: xFingeR PaiNtx PSN ID: Mr_Tartington
    "I have returned. After an eternity away from you all, Jack of Blades is back!"
    avatar
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 985
    Reputation : 31
    Join date : 2013-04-22

    Re: An appeal to common sense

    Post by twigsterxd on Fri May 24, 2013 7:51 pm

    Serious, maybe locking it would be best bud.
    Also, not saying you did anything wrong, (I know where you're comin' from on this), but posting something like this should be locked right away to avoid what already happened here. That way no one can discuss nor question it. They will see it as a new post, maybe adding, (Please Read), to the title so it doesn't get missed or make it a locked sticky then unsticky it in a week.
    Just a suggestion bud to save hassles in the future. It used to work in a forum I modded a few years ago and people here know that if something is locked, it means end of discussion happy
    Also, gotta add that this is the best forum I've ever joined.


    _________________
    Announcement:
    Support the Dark Souls Wiki:

    Visit http://fextralife.com

    subscribe, have fun, keep the site going
    avatar
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 25
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    Re: An appeal to common sense

    Post by Serious_Much on Fri May 24, 2013 7:57 pm

    I don't wish to lock it so that if people want to ADD to the main point of this thread, they can do so. Not locking it will allow it to also stay at the top of the section long as possible so people ca see my appeal.

    Still though as I said, this thread isn't a discussion. Add your words to the cause for people to move on by all means though.


    Last edited by Serious_Much on Fri May 24, 2013 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total


    _________________
    PSN and other stuff:
    PSN: HolyPK9 "You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"

    Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

    Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

    Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

    PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    avatar
    TehInfamousAmos
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 5277
    Reputation : 118
    Join date : 2012-04-07
    Age : 24
    Location : The League of Draven.

    Re: An appeal to common sense

    Post by TehInfamousAmos on Fri May 24, 2013 7:59 pm

    May I say that I am intrigued that there were no consequences for Satoshi - he has been incessantly posting threads asking for advice upon how to harm himself... He is not in the right state of mind and to be honest the threads were just baiting the kind of responses that Ren gave. In my opinion the thread should have been locked pretty damn quickly considering they are either attention seeking or are liable to get other members into trouble. Now granted I am aware that no moderators were online during the time that the thread was posted and when Renegade posted his response.

    I don't believe it is the Administrators or Moderators fault in this situation however I believe that it should be viewed as a dead subject - no discussion should occur about it because what's done is done. No matter how much you appeal you cannot get the bans repealed - it will just cause harm and a divide between members and moderators.


    _________________
    ▶️̸̱◀️
    Requiem æternam. Dona eis, Domine Dum veneris judacare sæculum per ignum.

    For one slick avatar visit this thread
    http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t8933-picture-request-thread
    avatar
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

    Posts : 9377
    Reputation : 134
    Join date : 2013-03-09
    Age : 20
    Location : Gensōkyō

    Re: An appeal to common sense

    Post by Dibsville on Fri May 24, 2013 8:05 pm

    TehInfamousAmos wrote:May I say that I am intrigued that there were no consequences for Satoshi - he has been incessantly posting threads asking for advice upon how to harm himself... He is not in the right state of mind and to be honest the threads were just baiting the kind of responses that Ren gave. In my opinion the thread should have been locked pretty damn quickly considering they are either attention seeking or are liable to get other members into trouble. Now granted I am aware that no moderators were online during the time that the thread was posted and when Renegade posted his response.

    I don't believe it is the Administrators or Moderators fault in this situation however I believe that it should be viewed as a dead subject - no discussion should occur about it because what's done is done. No matter how much you appeal you cannot get the bans repealed - it will just cause harm and a divide between members and moderators.
    Deep down, I thought this as well.
    While I have ABSOLUTELY nothing against Satoshi, he's a friend and all, the threads were kind of egging people on to do something stupid.

    Ren just happened to be the victim.

    There's a reason I never posted in those threads. (Exception to when I said that life will eventually get better).


    _________________
    PSN: Dibsville
    The Exiled of Ariamis; join the cause!
    EarthScraper wrote:OK, now I've just learnt that you never mess with Dibs on a Dark Souls topic, cause he will put you down.
    avatar
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

    Posts : 4921
    Reputation : 90
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 21
    Location : Brazil

    Re: An appeal to common sense

    Post by Carphil on Fri May 24, 2013 9:58 pm

    TehInfamousAmos wrote:May I say that I am intrigued that there were no consequences for Satoshi - he has been incessantly posting threads asking for advice upon how to harm himself... He is not in the right state of mind and to be honest the threads were just baiting the kind of responses that Ren gave. In my opinion the thread should have been locked pretty damn quickly considering they are either attention seeking or are liable to get other members into trouble. Now granted I am aware that no moderators were online during the time that the thread was posted and when Renegade posted his response.

    I don't believe it is the Administrators or Moderators fault in this situation however I believe that it should be viewed as a dead subject - no discussion should occur about it because what's done is done. No matter how much you appeal you cannot get the bans repealed - it will just cause harm and a divide between members and moderators.


    Amos drop in the chat sometime!


    _________________
    It may take a day or ten thousand years, but I will find her. This is a promise.

    I'm not the chosen one, I'm the one who chose to be more.

    Carphil_BR on PSN :bas:
    avatar
    reim0027
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Posts : 6715
    Reputation : 381
    Join date : 2012-01-28

    Re: An appeal to common sense

    Post by reim0027 on Fri May 24, 2013 10:13 pm

    This can turn into a very heated topic fast. Let's keep this squarely on topic about thinking about your posts and their implications, rather than discussing people's bans and their merit.


    _________________


    PSN usernames: reim0027_2,   reim0027_3,  and reim0027_5.  Skype ID: reim0027  
    Tour of Lordran Soul Levels  //  Official Wiki Fight Club // Forest Invasion Soul Levels // Low Level Invasion Rules
    avatar
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 5280
    Reputation : 123
    Join date : 2012-01-27
    Age : 34
    Location : New York

    Re: An appeal to common sense

    Post by PlasticandRage on Fri May 24, 2013 10:28 pm

    I'm glad to see a thread like this because I've been looking to say something about all this, and haven't really had an appropriate place to do it. Despite the fact that I haven't been terribly involved in all this, I haven't been able to help reading some of these posts and threads, as am sure a lot of us have. It's also been difficult, at least for me, to not feel somewhat invested in these things as a longtime part this community. Having said all that, I feel like it's necessary to say that the admins and mods aren't only here simply to insure our behavior, but also are members of this community that are very deserving of our trust and respect, not only as founders, and members that come here to enjoy the place the same way anyone else does, but also as members that have worked to keep this place together and maintain what it is. I think as members, especially the more active ones, it's our responsibility to show them our appreciation for that work not just by conforming to that behavior, though that is still important, but also to show them respect by trusting them. I trust that when decisions like these are made that they're made for good reason, and that they aren't taken lightly. I think to some degree we owe them that trust as a community. After reading all that happened, I just can't help feeling a bit disappointed that they were being hassled and, in my mind, disrespected like that.


    _________________
    All great men have mustaches.

    TIGER UPPERCUT!

    PSN: PlasticAndRage

    Sponsored content

    Re: An appeal to common sense

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:04 pm