Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
SlothAlmighty
RANT
Exalted Oreo
O1va_
Elifia
emraluces
R3dlace
Dibsville
Seignar
13 posters

Aha! This is the perfect Item Burden system!

Poll

What do you think

[ 2 ]
    Aha! This is the perfect Item Burden system! I_vote_lcap11%Aha! This is the perfect Item Burden system! I_vote_rcap [11%] 
    [ 8 ]
    Aha! This is the perfect Item Burden system! I_vote_lcap42%Aha! This is the perfect Item Burden system! I_vote_rcap [42%] 
    [ 4 ]
    Aha! This is the perfect Item Burden system! I_vote_lcap21%Aha! This is the perfect Item Burden system! I_vote_rcap [21%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Aha! This is the perfect Item Burden system! I_vote_lcap0%Aha! This is the perfect Item Burden system! I_vote_rcap [0%] 
    [ 5 ]
    Aha! This is the perfect Item Burden system! I_vote_lcap26%Aha! This is the perfect Item Burden system! I_vote_rcap [26%] 

Total Votes: 19
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Aha! This is the perfect Item Burden system! Empty Aha! This is the perfect Item Burden system!

Post by Seignar Wed May 22, 2013 11:30 pm

The new and improved Item Burden system

Yes, I, the evil Seignar, proposer of a a returning Item Burden, will now a make a thread about how the the Item Burden system should return in a way that serves its intended purpose without ruining our lives!

How everything shall be connected; the basics:

As part of this new system, individual item weight will no longer factor into the limit. Instead, all items have a set volume of space they take each split into different categories:

1) Weapons
    2) Armor
    3) Others

The way this work is...say that the weapons category has a volume limit of 30 units and the player has a UGS that takes 20 units. That player has 10 units remaining in his/her weapon category and so, the player can no longer carry any more weapons or combination of weapons that take more than 10 units. The other categories, however, are unaffected by this. Each category is independent.

Now, as some people have commented beforehand, it is rather annoying to have to lose something in order to get something, especially when you want to try it out. Adding a system that lets you safely put things away and lock them from use seams overly unnecessary especially in the heat of battle. So, here is how I propose item burden affects you:

The consequences

Just like how a player can go over 100% equip weight, a player can go over their allowed capacity in a category at a price. If a player goes over their maximum capacity, the entirety of the accumulated weight will be factored into your equip weight. That is to say, if you exceed your weapons category, the weight of all your weapons will be factored into your equip weight, whether you equip them or not. In the case of "others", each excess of 1 "others" item adds 1 unit of weight.

But, of course that would just mean we would be stuck if we just suddenly went into slow walk, right? Worry, not.

The Remedy

New feature: You can directly place items in your inventory in your bottomless box without a bonfire, but you cannot take them out. This is used to get rid of any unwanted burden on you. You can only reacess and recover items you have placed in the box once you rest at a bonfire.

What does thou think? Could'eth this system be good'eth for Dark Souls?

btw, how you like the evil black? It is now my trait achieving 1000 posts, to commemorate my self-promotion to evil overlord.

Last edited by Seignar on Fri May 24, 2013 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Aha! This is the perfect Item Burden system! Empty Re: Aha! This is the perfect Item Burden system!

Post by Dibsville Wed May 22, 2013 11:33 pm

I sort of like the idea... but putting things in your BB right away ruins a few aspects of the game.

Nothing is more annoying than trying to hardswap just to switch to some unupgraded weapon not realising you picked it up.

Side note: Congrats on 1k posts.
    R3dlace
    R3dlace
    Casual
    Casual

Aha! This is the perfect Item Burden system! Empty Re: Aha! This is the perfect Item Burden system!

Post by R3dlace Wed May 22, 2013 11:36 pm

I have a hard time reading, and as such I will say nothing but YES. I want a new burden system.
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Wed May 22, 2013 11:42 pm

Putting things directly in the BB is meant to help the system because otherwise you might be forced to slow walk back to the bonfire just to keep the item and if the system would force the item into the BB immediately, then people would just walk back to the bonfire to test it out (implying it is equipment). This system keeps the punishment with a way to satisfy everyone.

Evil Black ain't working, switching to evil olive.
    emraluces
    emraluces

Post by emraluces Thu May 23, 2013 2:35 am

I don't like the idea. Item burden should return, Indeed. Though it should remain unchanged from Demon's Souls. The player SHOULD HAVE to chose which items, if any, he or she is willing to lose. If he/she is unwilling, too bad! The purpose of this mechanic is to instill another layer of constant worry, dread and vigilance. As true gamers, we deserve the challenge, the rage, the heartbreak at having consequential decisions forced on us.

I apologize if it sounds elitist. Though, can you not concede, that the ability for the player to drop any item into his/her BB at any time is in some respect a 'dumbing down' of the game? I understand the frustration that many players might feel at having to forfeit items/gear. Though removing harsh mechanics is, in my humble eyes, the Skyrimification of one of the greatest game worlds ever created.

It's supposed to be hard! It's supposed to be heartbreaking! As the player, you should have to sacrifice! These aspects, and NOT multiplayer, make the Souls series unmatchable.

My opinions may seem rather strident, I realize. However, ask yourself, would you rather play every video game for the simple pleasures of completing mundane tasks unrestricted? Or, would you rather toil through the night for weeks, inching your way through a sickened world, suffering the violence of truly impossible odds, to finally at long last triumph over what would cause most men/women to flee?

I, for one, would chose the latter, every time.

Brave the dark! Praise the sun!

-Emraluces

Elifia
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elifia Thu May 23, 2013 3:03 am

emraluces wrote:stuff

The problem is that Dark Souls is about being punishing, yet fair. Assuming someone is doing a blind playthrough, they will not know what they are going to find. Imagine finding Havel's basement in Anor Londo while you are already wearing heavy armour. There is no way that will all fit into your inventory. Now you're ***, and there's no way you could have known.

Personally, I think Dark Souls' system is just fine. I could live with the OPs system too. But not with Demon's Souls', that 1 sucked.
    O1va_
    O1va_
    Regular
    Regular

Post by O1va_ Thu May 23, 2013 4:37 am

I don't know if I like the item burden idea, but if it's there how about you could just go overburdened, but you could homeward back to bonfire? You could pick up heavy weapons and armors, but you'd have to go trough the level again. You would need planning as you need to stack few homeward bones, and if you didn't you'd get screwed. Because:

Elifia wrote:Assuming someone is doing a blind playthrough, they will
    not know what they are going to find. Imagine finding Havel's basement
    in Anor Londo while you are already wearing heavy armour. There is no
    way that will all fit into your inventory. Now you're ***, and there's
    no way you could have known.

I hate this too.
    emraluces
    emraluces

Post by emraluces Thu May 23, 2013 9:59 am

Perhaps I'll remain alone in this. And, I thought my justifications were rather eloquent. If I had to draw a line in the sand, I'd want Demon's Souls item burden stridently in place on launch of Dark Souls 2! Like I said, it's supposed to be hard! Now, should the character not have enough room for an item and it instantly disappears, all-right, we'd then be crossing into the realm of unfairness. However, the ability to decide what you're willing to lose forever, instead of not being able to chose, well, that's FAIR!

I understand things may be tough on a blind playthrough. That's the point. If Dark Souls 2 is easy enough to just collect and craft and find every item and npc and covenant in the game, it will lose a Huge portion of its fans! It would be the 'approachableness' we've all feared in the sequel.

I just don't understand why people want an easier time in this series. Especially now that most here are dark souls vets. We should all be BEGGING From Software to cripple us with the difficulty. Unless, that is, you've only played Dark Souls for the PvP, in which case, you're not among the core audience, or core projected demographic anyways.

-Emraluces
    Exalted Oreo
    Exalted Oreo

Post by Exalted Oreo Thu May 23, 2013 6:17 pm

item burden was just a pain in the ***. It didn't really make me feel more immersed in the game, in fact it sort of brought me out of the game when I saw that I was overburdened. In that I was all focused doing my thing and then its just like "lol nope you can't pick this up" really just more obnoxious than anything else
    emraluces
    emraluces

Post by emraluces Thu May 23, 2013 11:19 pm

Alright, perhaps I was a little too strict in my previous estimation. I suppose the point I was trying to make, is that while it may indeed be something the player finds annoying, it is also another mechanic that the developers can use to force the player to make material sacrifices during a playthrough. Forcing this choice upon the player does in my estimation, enrich the gaming experience, because it delivers another layer of consequences for our actions.

By my lights, it's a welcomed mechanic. But then again, I could be wrong.

-Emraluces
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Fri May 24, 2013 1:11 am

I was squinting trying to read this, I will get back to you when I am done. change the damn color btw lol
    SlothAlmighty
    SlothAlmighty
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by SlothAlmighty Fri May 24, 2013 5:13 pm

I like item burden how it is. its a solid system, no reason to fix what aint broke. Part of the fun of the game is customizing your equipment set to have maximum defense while just under fat roll. sometimes its comes down to as little as whether you carry a catalyst as a second weapon or not.
    ublug
    ublug
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

Post by ublug Sat May 25, 2013 11:42 am

The problem with going above the item burden in DS wasn't that you couln't pick up the items there and then, but that they had disappeared if you tried to pick them up and then came back later when you made room for more stuff. If you instead had been told you couldn't carry it when you tried to pick it up, so you could come back and get it later everything would have been fine.

I wouldn't mind an equip burden or a stamina regeneration punishment if I went above the carry limit, but I don't see the need for a split equip burden system for weapons, armor and consumables.

SlothAlmighty wrote:I like item burden how it is. its a solid system, no reason to fix what aint broke. Part of the fun of the game is customizing your equipment set to have maximum defense while just under fat roll. sometimes its comes down to as little as whether you carry a catalyst as a second weapon or not.
    You are talking about equip burden, they removed the item burden system in dark souls, but some people want it back like it was in demons souls. Item burden is how much weight you can carry total, including the stuff you are wearing.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sat May 25, 2013 11:50 am

I don't feel there's any real need to change the systems if im honest sieg, I think it's fine, after all how can you loot everything when you got item burden?!

I could live with your system though, giving extra equip weight when you're over carry weight would be good if put into practise.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Sat May 25, 2013 12:12 pm

In Demon Souls, you could only carry so much before equipping a ring you get from trading with Thomas.
    Dark Souls changed that by eliminating that letting you carry all you want.
    You idea of having too much on you kinda corrupts weight burden cause you wouldn't be able to tell if your armour you have on is too heavy, making you move slower. Until you got to a bonfire or wherever you can access boxed items, people would waste too much time and risk being invaded trying to decide on wut to keep and wut to box.
    I do like your idea of putting items in box without having to access it. But, I'm thinking about the hassles of trying to sort stuff out while praying you're not invaded trying to do it.
    I'm making my points from the stand point of a new toon. Also, it would suck being over 100% weight, being sluggish and killed by an invader or mobs if you haven't bought the box yet. Unless they did it like Demon Souls, and made you stay hollow until 1st boss was killed.
    Buttcheekofdeth

Post by Buttcheekofdeth Sat May 25, 2013 2:59 pm

As someone who played Dark Souls before playing Demon's Souls, I despise the item burden system. To me, it seems like the only reason it was in the game is because every other RPG has an item burden system.

But it does not belong in a Souls game. At best, it was a tedious annoyance that served no purpose. At worst, it forced you to lose items through absolutely no fault of your own.

Removing the item burden was a massive improvement, there's no reason to go back to it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:08 pm