Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
DE5PA1R
Nybbles
Serious_Much
Slarg232
PSneep
Johnthethird
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Reaperfan
steveswede
13 posters

Jim Sterling on Dark Souls 2

steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Jim Sterling on Dark Souls 2 Empty Jim Sterling on Dark Souls 2

Post by steveswede Tue May 21, 2013 10:01 pm

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7340-Guns-Blazing

I really agree with him, I've had similar thoughts the first time I heard DkS2 was going to be treated like a AAA title.

I have no doubt DkS is going to be fantastic but I hope the unrealistic sales expectation (if there is one) doesn't kill the souls franchise when it has so much potential.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Jim Sterling on Dark Souls 2 Empty Re: Jim Sterling on Dark Souls 2

Post by Reaperfan Tue May 21, 2013 11:01 pm

I love how passionate he gets about it. It really shows how much the fans care about the series. And whether he's genuine or going overboard and using lots of hyperbole out of emotion, he makes good points. I've always felt like Jim knows what's at a gamer's heart, even if he gets (sometimes unnecessarily) loud while expressing it happy
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue May 21, 2013 11:15 pm

VaatiVidya got pissed at him over that review.
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Tue May 21, 2013 11:17 pm

Why?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue May 21, 2013 11:21 pm

steveswede wrote:Why?

Let him tell you why.

https://twitter.com/VaatiVidya
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Tue May 21, 2013 11:38 pm

As much as I love Vaati and the stuff he does, he really needs to see the big picture. It wasn't some attack at Bandai Namco or putting fear into it for the hell of it. We actually have a history of game publishers doing this to franchises. Maybe some of Jim's language could have been said differently and assumptions left out but he makes a bloody good point. It's only natural after so many times it's happened that people have got their backs up. I have no doubt this will be a souls game to the core, I just feel that Bandai Namco might be expecting 5 million sales and then change it's format if it doesn't get that. Personally I've never known Bandai Namco to do that so I'm not going to judge them that until they do it.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Tue May 21, 2013 11:55 pm

Eh, Jim is a very hit-or-miss kind of figure. I feel his almost ranting approach to the issues as opposed to a more "thoroughly researched and thought out argument" approach is how he distinguishes himself from the rest. Anyone can cite interviews and articles, then review the evidence and predict how things will turn out. Jim rather just takes the interview/article for how he interpreted it and goes off of how his gut tells him something will turn out. To some people he comes across as a blathering idiot who is acting rashly and jumping to conclusions, where others (like me) feel it is more out of passion for the medium and bringing up the most extreme examples of what could happen in order to get discussion started about it.

This Vaati guy's mad that Jim is already calling Dark Souls 2 a bad game based off of only a knee-jerk reaction to a single quote, but if you ask me Jim never called it a bad game or even implied it to be one. What he basically did was ask his viewers "So Dark Souls 2 might be developed more like a AAA game instead of the cult classic kind of games the series have always been. How do you feel about that? Personally I don't like it and think it might backfire on them."

If you ask me, this Vaati guy is getting just as knee-jerkingly mad at Jim's video as he thought Jim was at Dark Souls 2 straight face
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue May 21, 2013 11:57 pm

Reaperfan wrote:If you ask me, this Vaati guy is getting just as knee-jerkingly mad at Jim's video as he thought Jim was at Dark Souls 2 Jim Sterling on Dark Souls 2 271237510

lol. Well said. Jim Sterling on Dark Souls 2 2314449285
    Johnthethird
    Johnthethird
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Johnthethird Wed May 22, 2013 4:26 am

Okay look it. Unless the game releases a trailer that says "We're not in tamriel anymore"

Like Rift Did

then I think we are safe
    PSneep
    PSneep

Post by PSneep Wed May 22, 2013 4:48 am

He makes some really good points not just on Dark Souls, but about sequels in general. I agree with pretty much everything.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Wed May 22, 2013 5:27 am

I normally think he's a prattling twat, but he raised some good points. Especially about Dead Space, loved the first, adored the second, the third just plain old sucked. I would hate for that to happen to Souls....
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed May 22, 2013 8:26 am

I think people need to realise this is about 80% entertainment, 20% serious thought, and stop getting so insulted over it.

I have no idea who this vaati guy is, but frankly if he wanted to prove this guy wrong, he should have provided evidence rather than being hypocritical in his own argument and simply refuting without backing it up
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Wed May 22, 2013 12:13 pm

it's the bane of the boardroom philosophy…if you start with something successful and cannot make it grow beyond what it currently is, then it must not be successful anymore. you just can't keep your investors happy unless you are making more than you did before or cannibalizing your competitions profits.

it's the same with video games, movies, music, *** fast food. the problem is that they have absolutely no idea what actually makes something successful and they always try to jump on the wrong bandwagon. Avatar wasn't a huge hit because it was 3D so stop making every **** *** movie in 3D. how many 1st person shooters can one person play in a year! so you had a hit song, now stop trying to make an entire album that sounds exactly like that one song! health food is popular, here have an apple slice drowned in caramel sauce! ***!
    DE5PA1R
    DE5PA1R
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by DE5PA1R Wed May 22, 2013 4:57 pm

lol I had a convo with Vaati about this the other day.

I think Jim brought up some valid points, though he may be guilty of discounting From's passion and stubbornness to make standout games.

A big part of my frustration is the fact that Bamco shows a deep ignorance of some of the aspects that make Souls so good. Specifically, they don't understand its subtlety or understatedness. From what I can tell by their marketing, they just think DeS and DkS are shallow games that revolve around difficulty and dying.

I think the producers and marketers failing to understand a big part of the appeal is more worrying than the amount of money they're willing to throw at it.
    R3dlace
    R3dlace
    Casual
    Casual

Post by R3dlace Wed May 22, 2013 5:23 pm

The guy who spoke wasn't of the Dev team. He spoke about the marketing and the finance surrounding Dark Souls 2. The way I see it, he's giving them more people and more money to make sure that they don't skip on things like they did with Dark Souls. Like what, you ask?

Like the whole *** storyline surrounding Andre, and The First Born son of Gwyn, Salaman and the missing pyromancers. They SAID they had to scrap it in the first place, and I'm pretty sure that's not the only thing they scrapped because they were short on cash/people/time/cats.
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Wed May 22, 2013 6:29 pm

there's always going to be material left on the cutting room floor, you just can't fit everything in all the time.

what i'm hoping is the the dev team is a completely separate entity from the marketing team and the two will never sit in the same room together. the dev team can produce the dark souls game they want to produce and the marketing team can do whatever the *** they want because it will be a good game enjoyed by the folks who appreciate such things despite there mass marketing efforts.
    Myztyrio
    Myztyrio
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Myztyrio Wed May 22, 2013 6:32 pm

He's fat.

But some of what he says definitely makes sense happy
    SlothAlmighty
    SlothAlmighty
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by SlothAlmighty Fri May 24, 2013 5:05 pm

while I agree on the marketing bit, I got a different impression from the AAA title comment. I got the impression that they were throwing a lot of money into development by doubling the size of the team that was working on it, thus allowing for more detail and bigger worlds more in depth lore, etc.
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Sat May 25, 2013 1:20 am

Umm...where did it say that Dark Souls 2 is AAA title? I thought they just said that they are gonna advertise it as it would be.
    If they would've said "We are making bigger advertisement campaign this time for Dark Souls 2" I don't think anyone would've been this shocked.
    Mentioning AAA-title was probably just over exaggerating.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:16 am