Xbox One, oh God my sides.

steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Re: Xbox One, oh God my sides.

Post by steveswede on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:46 pm

Teh Kitten´s Cat wrote:

So silly...

It isn't if you look into it more. Consoles are technically closed off PC's these days and the only things that stop PC's from being competitive against consoles is usability. Valve is working on getting an easy to set up box, plug in and play like console that has a very easy interface to navigate. The biggest shake up is the way you upgrade parts which is the reason Valve teamed up with Xi3 to design hardware for it.

This is not the steam box, it is a separate product to this but the steam box is to feature designs similar to it where it's easy to upgrade parts. Parts you replace can then be sold back to valve as they will recycle them. What will keep the steam box price down is Valve subsidising the development cost and make money back off games. Considering Valve already has a big player base and design games themselves, they are in a position to push developers to make games for it and make exclusives for it, like Half Life 3 if they wanted to. While this isn't direct competition against consoles, it is going to dig into it's territory pretty hard, more than what other devices have done so far due to it's console usability approach. When the Steam Box is released, it will only take a few killer games to get people's attention.
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Post by FexDS on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:50 pm

From what I am seeing the PS4 will have a lot of gamer friendly features.

I for one will enjoy being able to create video walkthroughs without having to purchase and configure a capture device, I think it will be great for any sort of wiki or faq that gamers make for each other. Screenshots and such will become much easier!

As for the price of the games... I think the disc price jump may try and be an incentive for digital purchase.

Current disc: 60 USD of which roughly 30USD goes to publisher

Future disc: 80 USD of which roughly 40USD goes to publisher
    Future digital: 60 USD of wich roughly 60USD goes to publisher (unless its using a third service such as EA publishing in Sony store where they must pay a fee, so say 50USD for them)

Old King

Post by Old King on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:55 pm

I am not sure if anyone has posted this, but this just popped up on my news feed.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

--

Here are our platform policies and capabilities for game licensing – all of which will be made available when Xbox One launches later this year:

Buy the way you want—disc or digital—on the same day: You’ll be able to buy disc-based games at traditional retailers or online through Xbox Live, on day of release. Discs will continue to be a great way to install your games quickly.

Access your entire games library from any Xbox One—no discs required: After signing in and installing, you can play any of your games from any Xbox One because a digital copy of your game is stored on your console and in the cloud. So, for example, while you are logged in at your friend’s house, you can play your games.

Share access to your games with everyone inside your home: Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games. Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you.

Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

Trade-in and resell your disc-based games: Today, some gamers choose to sell their old disc-based games back for cash and credit. We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers. Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games.

Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:14 pm

I'm kinda shocked by the 25% retailer margin too. Pretty much none of the money gets given to the devs- what the hell is this?

Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:58 am

It's not too surprising. The same thing is true for the music industry (if you buy a $10 CD then the artist gets only a tiny fraction of that $10. eBooks haven't replaced libraries and bookstores so I'm hoping digital downloads don't replace Gamestop. I guess renting is a huge issue, but I'm sure most of us just download demos/trials as it is.

AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor on Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:35 am

aceluby wrote:
    PS1 games were $40 new typically (some were $10, some were $70)
    PS2 games were $50 new
    PS3 games are $60 new

Yes they are\were but when the consoles were initially launched, they were pretty friggin dear, i paid 60 punts(before the euro) for ISS pro and NHL on PS2 release, 75 euros for Motorstorm and heavenly sword around when the PS3 launched. Eventually prices dropped to 50\60 bracket.
    As for those amazon prices, i saw the same quoted prices on PS3 months before release, ok when the PS3 hit games were dearer but nowhere near the amazon initial guesses.

PC:AnCapaillMor

XBOX: I'll give you 2 guesses
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight on Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:44 am

aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:00 am

Serious_Much wrote:I'm kinda shocked by the 25% retailer margin too. Pretty much none of the money gets given to the devs- what the hell is this?

I'd assume that comes out of the publisher's cut... probably like $1...

SL41 Pyro/Dex Sephiroth cosplay
    SL120 Fth/Int Pure Caster
    SL120 Fth DW
    SL120 Int DW
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:02 am

Ace, it says on that pie chart Fex posted that it's $15- 25%

PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:22 am

Old King wrote:I am not sure if anyone has posted this, but this just popped up on my news feed.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

--

Here are our platform policies and capabilities for game licensing – all of which will be made available when Xbox One launches later this year:

Buy the way you want—disc or digital—on the same day: You’ll be able to buy disc-based games at traditional retailers or online through Xbox Live, on day of release. Discs will continue to be a great way to install your games quickly.

Access your entire games library from any Xbox One—no discs required: After signing in and installing, you can play any of your games from any Xbox One because a digital copy of your game is stored on your console and in the cloud. So, for example, while you are logged in at your friend’s house, you can play your games.

Share access to your games with everyone inside your home: Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games. Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you.

Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

Trade-in and resell your disc-based games: Today, some gamers choose to sell their old disc-based games back for cash and credit. We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers. Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games.

Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

Thats not bad actually, me an my friends could all buy Xbox's and just share all our games and have eachother as 'family'.. if you can exploit it in that way that is

PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:27 am

Kinect is watching you!!!!!!!
    Is it me or does Angry Joe look like that dude from office space with a smig.

aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:48 am

Serious_Much wrote:Ace, it says on that pie chart Fex posted that it's $15- 25%

I was talking about the devs...

SL41 Pyro/Dex Sephiroth cosplay
    SL120 Fth/Int Pure Caster
    SL120 Fth DW
    SL120 Int DW
    SATLOS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by SATLOS on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:29 pm

Official word from Microsoft, via Kotaku:

• The console must connect to the internet once every 24 hours in order for you to play games.
    • The Xbox One will allow the sale of used games, at "participating retailers", but only if the publisher allows it.
    • There are restrictions on how you can "give" and "loan" your games away. What's more, lending won't be available at launch, with Microsoft still "exploring the possibilities with our partners".

If the PS4 follows suit, I can confidently say that DkS II will be the last console game I play.

Gaming, we had a great 25 years, but enough is enough.

:dung:

Lmaousine
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Lmaousine on Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:29 pm

I wonder how long it will be until hackers get around the used game fee.

Spoiler:

(SL100) Legend http://mmdks.com/2bd4
    (SL100) Joker http://mmdks.com/31i1
    (SL100) Beezow http://mmdks.com/31i5
    (SL120) Blaxton
    (SL120) Kray Zee
    (SL120) Chief Bighorn
    (SL120) Luigi
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elifia on Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:33 pm

Lmaousine wrote:I wonder how long it will be until hackers get around the used game fee.

Less than an hour, I'd bet.

Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:09 pm

SATLOS wrote:Official word from Microsoft, via Kotaku:

• The console must connect to the internet once every 24 hours in order for you to play games.
    • The Xbox One will allow the sale of used games, at "participating retailers", but only if the publisher allows it.
    • There are restrictions on how you can "give" and "loan" your games away. What's more, lending won't be available at launch, with Microsoft still "exploring the possibilities with our partners".

If the PS4 follows suit, I can confidently say that DkS II will be the last console game I play.

Gaming, we had a great 25 years, but enough is enough.

Yeah, that perma share thing will probably have some wierd/unusable restrictions, to stop people like my friend group buying 1 of every game and just sharing with everybody.

We are Exiles, and our home is Painted with the blood of trespassers.
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:52 pm

Lmaousine wrote:I wonder how long it will be until hackers get around the used game fee.

Not long i'd say, said it in the chat today, DRM drives hackers into overdrive.

skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:17 pm

OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD!

I just got an email from Microsoft and if I order an Xbox One calorie diet soda now I'll get......wait for it.....

Spoiler:
    A limited edition controller that says "day one 2013"

SOLD!

Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elifia on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:54 am

Someone shared this on the other forum I visit (Trials of Ascension)

So it's over then. Sony wins.

steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede on Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:23 am

Not only that but it's £80 cheaper at launch and all the games are region free.

https://twitter.com/kazamatsuri/status/344329961991176193

Bummer that we now need to pay a subscription to play online but I think most of us saw that coming when Sony was questioned about that a few years ago. Also I think that is cheaper than Microsoft's subscription fee, it wasn't something I paid attention to due to different price we would get in the UK.
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville on Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:01 am

Step 1: Don't get an Xbox One.

Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing on Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:03 am

Like I was ever going to get a xbox one anyway. Nah I had Sony in my eye for a while.

Hollowed

Post by KrazykevS10 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:04 am

Get a PC.The Xbox controller is the one good thing they will keep and you can use it with your computer.Sorry to be the elitist guy but the future of PC seems better than either console,especially since they are getting more expensive.PC > Consoles(Next gen)

Chosen Undead

Location : Bracing myself for the Winds of Change, being supported by the towering pillars of my friends.

Post by Encore on Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:23 am

Elifia wrote:Someone shared this on the other forum I visit (Trials of Ascension)

So it's over then. Sony wins.

Way too hard for me to remember.

Song of Myself
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? on Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:45 pm

http://i.imgur.com/5G908Gj.jpg

Kinda funny. An Xbone user's life in 2018.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:24 am