Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
CrackSouls
Tolvo
Forum Pirate
RANT
Lorrac ESP
Shakie666
Nybbles
TheDarkPygmy
LunarFog
billionthswine187
14 posters

Strength Weapons

billionthswine187
    billionthswine187

Strength Weapons Empty Strength Weapons

Post by billionthswine187 Tue May 21, 2013 10:58 am

I'm in the process of making a strength build.
    http://mmdks.com/2euf

And while farming Darkwraiths for chunks, I got really lucky and got a couple slabs. So I wondering what are some good strength weapons.

I already am using;
    Man-Serpent
    Demon Machette
    Demon Greataxe
    Large Club
    Great Club

PS. since someone is gonna ask I have the cestus to try and catch people off guard when I first start a 1v1 fight.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Strength Weapons Empty Re: Strength Weapons

Post by LunarFog Tue May 21, 2013 11:08 am

Demon weapons are great(Demon greathammer, machete, axe). They tend to have the highest scaling in the whole game.

If you use a heavy strength weapon, you might want to have an off-hand weapon that's a little bit faster for back up.

Last edited by LunarFog on Tue May 21, 2013 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
    TheDarkPygmy
    TheDarkPygmy

Post by TheDarkPygmy Tue May 21, 2013 11:14 am

Demon Machete has my vote.
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Tue May 21, 2013 4:45 pm

of those the OP selected, the man-serpent great sword gets my highest vote.
    Shakie666
    Shakie666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Shakie666 Tue May 21, 2013 5:18 pm

I don't know why people even bother with greatswords now that they can't stunlock.

Can the demon's greataxe stunlock? If so that gets my vote, otherwise the demon great machete.
    Lorrac ESP
    Lorrac ESP
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Lorrac ESP Tue May 21, 2013 5:27 pm

Shakie666 wrote:I don't know why people even bother with greatswords now that they can't stunlock.

Can the demon's greataxe stunlock? If so that gets my vote, otherwise the demon great machete.

I really like the large club but it isn't a popular choice, I've never come across another large club user.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue May 21, 2013 6:22 pm

large club, man serpent gs, DGM, greataxe, mace. reinforced hammer is better but mace looks better.
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Tue May 21, 2013 6:30 pm

Shakie666 wrote:I don't know why people even bother with greatswords now that they can't stunlock.

…but using the same half dozen or so dex weapons all the time gets stale. it's too bad that strength builds got totally hosed in Dark Souls.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue May 21, 2013 7:45 pm

Not anymore.

Pure str, I'd vote large club, especially with an offhand spear or the hornet ring for 0hko parries (the reason being, the dgm is really just the zweih that doesn't stunlock, but the zweih is quality)
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue May 21, 2013 8:13 pm

The Demon Great Machete can still stunlock, I do that all the time to people, the Greatsword can too.
    CrackSouls
    CrackSouls
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by CrackSouls Tue May 21, 2013 8:27 pm

If you're opponent doesn't have much poise, the Dragon Fist is great. I use that thing all the time. Then again, I'm not that great at PVP.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue May 21, 2013 8:32 pm

Tolvo wrote:The Demon Great Machete can still stunlock, I do that all the time to people, the Greatsword can too.
    It doesn't stunlock. Unless someone has been spiking my drinks when I wasn't looking for the past 9 months.

It does have a really heavy stun, so if they're right on top of me or slow to dodge out they'll get hit by the second swing at the edge of its range, but thats not a lock. It will hitstun-bs for roughly 1450 unbuffed though, if thats what you mean. I do that all the time.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue May 21, 2013 8:36 pm

Unless I see people weapon swap I don't see them dodge out of three swings in a row two handed. I'm not sure if maybe one hand just doesn't have a stun.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue May 21, 2013 8:45 pm

I see it hit no more than twice, in the situation i described above. Unless everyone has been 1st hit toggleing me. Possible, but seems unlikely. I use it 2handed all the time. That it wouldn't stunlock is when I discovered the hitstun bs to compensate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4mEHM4zJuE

Inside the first 30 seconds you see what I mean. If they're right on top of me, that second swing will connect anyways, but otherwise that happens. They can just spam roll to escape. Its a small window, but its not hard to do.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue May 21, 2013 8:57 pm

It's possible maybe the people I've been fighting just resigned assuming they were stunlocked and didn't try.

I don't believe on average people are toggling out, it's a well known tactic but I still rarely see people that can toggle in the moment.
    billionthswine187
    billionthswine187

Post by billionthswine187 Tue May 21, 2013 11:01 pm

CrackSouls wrote:If you're opponent doesn't have much poise, the Dragon Fist is great. I use that thing all the time. Then again, I'm not that great at PVP.

Actually forgot to say I have this. Don't know how much I'll use it but I did use the soul for it.
    The_Red_Drifter
    The_Red_Drifter
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by The_Red_Drifter Wed May 22, 2013 12:22 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in9CPUkue7s
    I've been using the one-handed Claymore trick for awhile, works wonders.
    As for OP, try out a Battle Axe or a Butcher's Knife. Normal axes can be a bit unwieldy, but no more so than most strength weapons not relying on simple, time proven tactics. Butcher's Knife has better scaling+ life drain, but a Battle Axe has an easier moveset and easier time stunlocking.
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Wed May 22, 2013 1:26 am

Stone greatsword, seriously. It's mostly physical, but will hit some magic for chipping through shields.
    1H R1 tends to catch people off-guard, especially on the followup R2. Just make sure you have some poise. Also, the 2H R2 can be used to slow fast people down to get some hits in. I would suggest lowering endurance, swapping to wolf instead of havel's and getting past 76 poise IMO.
    billionthswine187
    billionthswine187

Post by billionthswine187 Wed May 22, 2013 10:41 am

As for OP, try out a Battle Axe or a Butcher's Knife. Normal axes can be a bit unwieldy, but no more so than most strength weapons not relying on simple, time proven tactics. Butcher's Knife has better scaling+ life drain, but a Battle Axe has an easier moveset and easier time stunlocking.

I'll give the Butcher Knife a shot as well, but the battle axe is quality so that wont be very good for this build. But may try it on my quality build though.

Stone greatsword, seriously. It's mostly physical, but will hit some magic for chipping through shields.
    1H R1 tends to catch people off-guard, especially on the followup R2. Just make sure you have some poise. Also, the 2H R2 can be used to slow fast people down to get some hits in. I would suggest lowering endurance, swapping to wolf instead of havel's and getting past 76 poise IMO.

Same thing with the Stonegreatsword its a quality weapon, so I wont use that. For Havels vs Wolf, I more inclined to go with a good looking armour set than more poise just my way of things. Also how will I get past 76 with poise without Havel, every thing I try gets me 48 max.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Wed May 22, 2013 11:03 am

For Havels vs Wolf, I more inclined to go with a good looking armour set than more poise just my way of things. Also how will I get past 76 with poise without Havel, every thing I try gets me 48 max.

Wolf is 40. A lot of normal heavy armor is in the 12-20 poise range for the chest piece. Midroll with wolf + a few pieces to get to 76 should be doable.
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Wed May 22, 2013 12:47 pm

billionthswine187 wrote:

I'll give the Butcher Knife a shot as well, but the battle axe is quality so that wont be very good for this build. But may try it on my quality build though.

Same thing with the Stonegreatsword its a quality weapon, so I wont use that. For Havels vs Wolf, I more inclined to go with a good looking armour set than more poise just my way of things. Also how will I get past 76 with poise without Havel, every thing I try gets me 48 max.

The base damage is more than enough, trust me.
    xenon_nobelium
    xenon_nobelium
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by xenon_nobelium Wed May 22, 2013 1:45 pm

i wouldn't go for the crazy 46str breakpoint.. either 40 or 50, demon greataxe is really overrated imo. something to consider is havels and wolf as a ring combo, easy 1500hp, 76poise and fastroll with 40str. absolute favorite str weapons are large club and man serpent sword. also what i'm preaching in all my str related posts is that the jagged ghost blade is the perfect offhand str weapon. not for the dmg but for backstab canceling and parrying whithout any dex requirement. keep a heavy crossbow close to it for a menu swap.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 am