Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+17
Whknight
Tolvo
Darkson
Chumgeyser
sen545331
Kaksoppa
Reaperfan
RANT
Serious_Much
reim0027
xXDaemonarchXx
ted1023
barecanvas
Forum Pirate
Lancelot
Maneater_Mildred
goober0331
21 posters

"Cookie Cutter" Builds

Darkson
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

"Cookie Cutter" Builds - Page 2 Empty Re: "Cookie Cutter" Builds

Post by Darkson Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:56 pm

^ This.

Something that somehow says: "I respect your oppinion, I kind of understand your argument, but..." followed by the most important thing in my oppinion: An own argument! This will hopefully lead to something you can call a discussion.

Will stop ranting now too... "Cookie Cutter" Builds - Page 2 1330857165
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:46 pm

Lol we shall all stop ranting. big grin
    Chumgeyser
    Chumgeyser
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Chumgeyser Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:24 pm

As someone new to the game, a reader of this forum, and someone looking to build a PvP character...

I was thinking it would be nice to have a backflipping tank, or someone that is difficult to kill, because it sounds like Dark Souls PvP is nothing but back stabbery.

I don't want to make a backstabbing character, just one that can survive against a backstabber. How are you supposed to do this without a ninja flipping tank?

Also... is ninja flipping that much more effective than simply having a fast roll?
    Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:29 pm

Covers slightly more ground and a slightly quicker recovery time. Depending on what the weight burden is each roll tier not only has a distance but also a recovery time which can also mean life or death.

In regards to fighting against people that don't play fair, don't play fair back. In all honesty I would only apply fairness to fight club, random invasions can be crushed in any way I see fit. If you are summoning or summoned by the red stone you just have to take the cards you are dealt and change your strategy as you need to.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:23 am

Chumgeyser wrote:Also... is ninja flipping that much more effective than simply having a fast roll?

It's not so much that Ninja Flipping is more effective than fast rolling, but just that you can be at 50% equip weight and do it, whereas you need to be 25% for fast roll. Mathematically, to wear heavy armor and fast roll, you need practically 99 End and Havel's Ring... That's too high a price just for the payoff of heavy armor!

Personally, though, I like to make builds with >76 poise and fast rolling, just because I can! People don't expect a toon wearing only gloves and pants to be able to withstand a greatsword hit without getting stun-locked, and they pay the price for their ignorance and hubris!
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:14 am

Chumgeyser wrote:

I was thinking it would be nice to have a backflipping tank, or someone that is difficult to kill, because it sounds like Dark Souls PvP is nothing but back stabbery.

I don't want to make a backstabbing character, just one that can survive against a backstabber. How are you supposed to do this without a ninja flipping tank?

I wouldn't go so far as to say that backstabbing is the be all end all of pvp. It certainly gives whoever gets one off on their opponent the edge in combat but tbh, and this is only anecdotal and from my perspective, I've only found that people who use heavy armours like Giants really go for back stabs deliberately.

This is perhaps because the know an oppenent has no chance of stunlocking them easily and as such go for the BS.

Also about surviving back stabs... If a player wanted to BS fish all of his duels he has the capacity to one shot almost anyone.

I prefer not to worry about it and just play however I see fit. Though if someone presents thier back to me I'll be all over that ****.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:03 pm

Chumgeyser wrote:

From where I play, BS do happen, sometimes a lot. But, that majority of fights are not BS spammage or fishing. I'm 120-125 in the Burg.

There isn't a specific build that can survive BSs. You can try vitality builds, but they aren't very strong, especially at SL 120 and above.

The best way to avoid BS is to not get BSed. If someone is coming you decked out on poise, then watch out for the poise BS. The other best thing to do is move constantly. If they roll toward you, toll toward them.

It helps if you learn how to BS. Once you learn how to do it, you can see them coming earlier. This is because, with practice you can set up BSs, know which weapons and which attacks are more prone to BS, and you'll have real time experience doing them, making it easier to avoid.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:49 pm

If they're going for a poise bs, there's not much you can do, is there? They're waiting for you to attack them, at which point they'll use the time you're stuck in the attack animation to get behind you and bs. The instant you attack, you're screwed. Can't parry either because they're just waiting for you to attack them.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:57 pm

You can counter BS them. Also, you can strafe with them, slowly get closer, and instarun into a pivot BS. You might surprise them, since they are only focusing on one thing.

Be very mobile. Roll a lot, roll attack and roll away. You can also unlock randomly, it can mess them up.

Poisestabs are powerful, but it makes them very predictable.
    Chumgeyser
    Chumgeyser
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Chumgeyser Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:11 pm

What's a poise backstab?
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:15 pm

Meh. I'd rather get killed by a poise-backstabber than play into his game and get into a strafing match. If he's pathetic enough to do nothing but wait for a poise-bs, then I won't waste my time fighting him, let alone his way. I'll attack him like I attack anyone, and if I expedite my death in the process, so be it, it only means I'll be fighting my next opponent sooner.

Edit: Explaining a poise-backstab: when you attack an opponent, depending on their poise (stat determined by armor), they will either get staggered, stun-locked, or, if their poise is high enough, not be phased at all by your hit. If an opponent is staggered, his action is interrupted by your attack and he will have to start it over. If he's stun-locked, he's temporarily paralyzed by your attack, leaving you free to hit him again. If his poise is high enough, he won't be affected at all by your hit. You, on the other hand, will be stuck in your attack animation that isn't finished yet while they make their way around you and backstab you.

Edit 2: I was writing my explanation while Reim posted his answer!

Last edited by BLA1NE on Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:17 pm

Chumgeyser wrote:What's a poise backstab?
    When you have really high poise, you can run through attacks. So, a poise stabber will just run and do a pivot BS (run to your side and BS you). You can't stun them as they'll run through your attacks.

So, watch out for the strafing Havel's Estoc/Rapier/Bandit's Kinfe/Zwei player.
    Darkson
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Darkson Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:06 pm

reim0027 wrote:
    The best way to avoid BS is to not get BSed...

LOL silly
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:33 pm

how do you instarun? i've seen it done but i've never known how. spears btw, the attacks are so fast and have so much range that the poise stabbers cant bs you unless they guess your timing (in my experience) and if they guess your timing its probably your fualt for being predictable.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:45 pm

You have to be locked on to your opponent. Walk backward, while holding O, for a second or two, then go forward, and you'll be running. Same goes for strafing.

It works because you can't run backward or strafing, but the game recognizes your input to run. It takes a few steps normally to start running. You use those "steps" by going backward or strafing.
    Chumgeyser
    Chumgeyser
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Chumgeyser Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:49 pm

reim0027 wrote:
    Chumgeyser wrote:

From where I play, BS do happen, sometimes a lot. But, that majority of fights are not BS spammage or fishing. I'm 120-125 in the Burg.

There isn't a specific build that can survive BSs. You can try vitality builds, but they aren't very strong, especially at SL 120 and above.

The best way to avoid BS is to not get BSed. If someone is coming you decked out on poise, then watch out for the poise BS. The other best thing to do is move constantly. If they roll toward you, toll toward them.

It helps if you learn how to BS. Once you learn how to do it, you can see them coming earlier. This is because, with practice you can set up BSs, know which weapons and which attacks are more prone to BS, and you'll have real time experience doing them, making it easier to avoid.

Would a high poise + shield/spear build have a better chance to avoid backstabbery than most, since you can keep your shield up and poke at them with good range?
    barecanvas
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by barecanvas Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:53 pm

Chumgeyser wrote:
    reim0027 wrote:
    Chumgeyser wrote:

Would a high poise + shield/spear build have a better chance to avoid backstabbery than most, since you can keep your shield up and poke at them with good range?
    high poise+sheild pokes. Sounds more like a troll build to me
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:02 pm

If you're shielding, you're probably either standing still or strafing--both of which are good ways of getting backstabbed. Also, poise does nothing to protect from getting backstabbed.

A spear isn't a bad idea though. You can keep relatively good distance while attacking. I'd suggest 2-handing it and staying mobile though.
    Chumgeyser
    Chumgeyser
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Chumgeyser Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:05 pm

barecanvas wrote:
    Chumgeyser wrote:
    reim0027 wrote:
    Chumgeyser wrote:

high poise+sheild pokes. Sounds more like a troll build to me

Hmm, it's starting to sound like everything that is effective people here get pissed about. So... it's butt naked with a broken straight sword, low vitality, and no casting or you're being cheap?
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:27 pm

Turtling is effective and not really trolling (it can turn into a trolling fight however). But, they are so damn BORING to fight. The fights against a turtle suck . . . hard. If I'm facing a turtle, I'll give it a shot. But, if it takes too long, I just leave. I have better things to do than strafe for 5 minutes.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:31 pm

Chumgeyser wrote:Hmm, it's starting to sound like everything that is effective people here get pissed about. So... it's butt naked with a broken straight sword, low vitality, and no casting or you're being cheap?
    No one ever said that on these forums. You're misinterpreting.
    barecanvas
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by barecanvas Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:33 pm

Turtling isnt even always effective. They can easily pull out a shotel and hit with harder damage than your spear. Or if youre turtling against a high poise guy, he will just ignore your hits and bs you anyways.
    edit: or they can just bleed you out with pricillas dagger
    Chumgeyser
    Chumgeyser
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Chumgeyser Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:42 pm

BLA1NE wrote:
    Chumgeyser wrote:Hmm, it's starting to sound like everything that is effective people here get pissed about. So... it's butt naked with a broken straight sword, low vitality, and no casting or you're being cheap?

Isn't that why this thread got started?

It would be nice if the experienced PvPers put together a list of "cheap" PvP builds as well as acceptable PvP builds. I'm sure many would ignore it but there would be many that go by it also.

I'm not "twitchy" and I don't want to work at becoming "twitchy." Backstabbing is all about being twitchy, so any build where I can avoid backtabbing and being backstabbed is what I'm looking for. I'd prefer it wasn't a "cheap" build that pisses everyone off, but if the choices are to become a backstabber or use a "cheap" build... well I'll probably go with "cheap."
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:52 pm

Chumgeyser wrote:
    BLA1NE wrote:

Isn't that why this thread got started?

It would be nice if the experienced PvPers put together a list of "cheap" PvP builds as well as acceptable PvP builds. I'm sure many would ignore it but there would be many that go by it also.

I'm not "twitchy" and I don't want to work at becoming "twitchy." Backstabbing is all about being twitchy, so any build where I can avoid backtabbing and being backstabbed is what I'm looking for. I'd prefer it wasn't a "cheap" build that pisses everyone off, but if the choices are to become a backstabber or use a "cheap" build... well I'll probably go with "cheap."
    The problem is this. "Cheap" and "trolling" is subjective. We will never agree 100% on what is cheap. So, we can't build a list about that.

The better you get at PvP, the less you feel things are cheap.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:58 pm

^This.

Also, no matter what you do, someone will think you were cheap.

In my opinion, as long as you're not pulling off ridiculous lagstabs, then practically everything is fair game. Except TWoP--that's still not cool.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:53 am