This "Parochial" forum.

    Share
    avatar
    kazumoshi
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 302
    Reputation : 9
    Join date : 2012-05-11
    Location : British Colombia

    This "Parochial" forum.

    Post by kazumoshi on Mon May 13, 2013 3:47 pm

    I've noticed lately that there's been an increase in both close mindedness, and hostility on our precious soulswiki forum. The amount of locked topics has risen lately, and it's become fairly depressing seeing seemingly democratic arguments degrade into apes flinging their piles of typed waste at each other in a chest beating contest of who's online rules are more refined, or who's outlook on a topic is more accurate.

    There is no such thing as an absolute opinion, and especially in a section of the forum that is devoted to the online interaction of people, you must remember that people are going to flat out disagree with you. If we could all just leave it as I respectfully disagree with you, and attempt to snuff the abrasiveness before it finds its way into the words we speak, then we'd all end up better off.

    Some people are all about honor and duels, and others about the raw adrenaline of an invasion. Some people enjoy the brutality and lawlessness of the forest, and others just seek to spread depression and grief. It's possible for everyone of us to get along, and I'm sure of it.

    Let's just try to keep this section of the forum the "holy" grail of
    PvP and online interaction and advice we all want it to be, and not a gathering of closed doors, and tongueless chefs, yeah?

    /endrant. (If a mod feels that this is redundant, please just delete it. I have no qualms, but a locked topic complaining about locked topics would be hypocrisy at its finest.)


    _________________
    Wave
    avatar
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 24
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    Re: This "Parochial" forum.

    Post by Serious_Much on Mon May 13, 2013 3:59 pm

    I agree wholeheartedly- my input on this ridiculous turn for the forum:

    http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t21435-comment-on-the-serious_muchness-of-pvp

    I don't get how people can get so wound up about a game.. It's not like people are throwing personal insults, just getting pissy if their logic isn't deemed right.


    _________________
    PSN and other stuff:
    PSN: HolyPK9 "You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"

    Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

    Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

    Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

    PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    avatar
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 6625
    Reputation : 232
    Join date : 2012-01-30
    Age : 26
    Location : International waters

    Re: This "Parochial" forum.

    Post by Forum Pirate on Mon May 13, 2013 4:15 pm

    close minded about close mindedness? .

    So long as its not a personal attack (against the rules) they have every right to belive their opinion (if it is an opinion) is the right one, and assert that opinion in an attempt to better the community


    _________________
    Your rules are yours
    My honor is mine.
    Perspective is everything.
    We are Exiles, and our home is Painted with the blood of trespassers.
    avatar
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 24
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    Re: This "Parochial" forum.

    Post by Serious_Much on Mon May 13, 2013 4:20 pm

    I think he's more concerned with people's decline in treatment of each other and and problems it's causing


    _________________
    PSN and other stuff:
    PSN: HolyPK9 "You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"

    Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

    Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

    Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

    PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    avatar
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1612
    Reputation : 86
    Join date : 2012-07-27

    Re: This "Parochial" forum.

    Post by Jansports on Mon May 13, 2013 4:22 pm

    Serious_Much wrote:. It's not like people are throwing personal insults

    I was called a retard in the thread that got locked. Unimaginably I haven't been called much of anything in threads still open.
    avatar
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 24
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    Re: This "Parochial" forum.

    Post by Serious_Much on Mon May 13, 2013 4:26 pm

    Jansports wrote:
    Serious_Much wrote:. It's not like people are throwing personal insults

    I was called a retard in the thread that got locked. Unimaginably I haven't been called much of anything in threads still open.

    Sorry Jan, I should have been more specific in what i meant. I was speaking generally- I have seen and have no doubt there are instances of posts like those insulting each other, however most of the time there's not that much of it.

    Like I said the bigger problem is people getting at each other's throats from what should be reasonable discussion. If that didn't happen, the insults wouldn't get thrown around too.


    _________________
    PSN and other stuff:
    PSN: HolyPK9 "You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"

    Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

    Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

    Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

    PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!

    goober0331
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 211
    Reputation : -5
    Join date : 2012-02-22
    Age : 25
    Location : In a bong

    Re: This "Parochial" forum.

    Post by goober0331 on Mon May 13, 2013 4:33 pm

    It's because the DkS forums tend to create polarized groups of people. Its this whole "us vs. them" dichotomy.
    avatar
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 6625
    Reputation : 232
    Join date : 2012-01-30
    Age : 26
    Location : International waters

    Re: This "Parochial" forum.

    Post by Forum Pirate on Mon May 13, 2013 4:48 pm

    Serious_Much wrote:
    Jansports wrote:
    Serious_Much wrote:. It's not like people are throwing personal insults

    I was called a retard in the thread that got locked. Unimaginably I haven't been called much of anything in threads still open.

    Sorry Jan, I should have been more specific in what i meant. I was speaking generally- I have seen and have no doubt there are instances of posts like those insulting each other, however most of the time there's not that much of it.

    Like I said the bigger problem is people getting at each other's throats from what should be reasonable discussion. If that didn't happen, the insults wouldn't get thrown around too.
    Thats being confrontational. (not the same a close minded)

    So your problem then, is with people being confrontational? There is value in confronting erronious perceptions, and if they (confrontational people) don't confront them, how can anyone know wether or not their pereprtion is erronious?


    _________________
    Your rules are yours
    My honor is mine.
    Perspective is everything.
    We are Exiles, and our home is Painted with the blood of trespassers.
    avatar
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 24
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    Re: This "Parochial" forum.

    Post by Serious_Much on Mon May 13, 2013 4:53 pm

    Forum Pirate wrote:
    Serious_Much wrote:
    Jansports wrote:
    Serious_Much wrote:. It's not like people are throwing personal insults

    I was called a retard in the thread that got locked. Unimaginably I haven't been called much of anything in threads still open.

    Sorry Jan, I should have been more specific in what i meant. I was speaking generally- I have seen and have no doubt there are instances of posts like those insulting each other, however most of the time there's not that much of it.

    Like I said the bigger problem is people getting at each other's throats from what should be reasonable discussion. If that didn't happen, the insults wouldn't get thrown around too.
    Thats being confrontational. (not the same a close minded)

    So your problem then, is with people being confrontational? There is value in confronting erronious perceptions, and if they (confrontational people) don't confront them, how can anyone know wether or not their pereprtion is erronious?

    As much as you love correcting people, confrontation is a direct result of being close minded in a discussion.

    There is also a very thick, obvious line between asking for elaboration/clarification and being confrontational.

    Also I don't know if I'm thinking wrong but you seem to be very fond of contradicting me and attempting to correct my posts recently.. Just saying you seem to be very focused on me


    Last edited by Serious_Much on Mon May 13, 2013 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total


    _________________
    PSN and other stuff:
    PSN: HolyPK9 "You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"

    Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

    Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

    Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

    PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    avatar
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

    Posts : 13287
    Reputation : 542
    Join date : 2012-02-01
    Age : 25
    Location : The Forest, Illinois

    Re: This "Parochial" forum.

    Post by Tolvo on Mon May 13, 2013 4:54 pm

    I'd say there is a difference between saying "I think you are wrong and this is why," and going "You're a *** idiot if you believe this."
    avatar
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1612
    Reputation : 86
    Join date : 2012-07-27

    Re: This "Parochial" forum.

    Post by Jansports on Mon May 13, 2013 5:32 pm

    Tolvo wrote:I'd say there is a difference between saying "I think you are wrong and this is why," and going "You're a *** idiot if you believe this."

    That's basically the issue isn't it? "Hey I'm loving the chase potential of the broadswords 2hr2, it makes a pretty good weapon it isn't just 'a longsword with no trust' " Is generally well accepted

    "No zwei? wut r u casual?" is a waste of everyone involved's time.
    avatar
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

    Posts : 13287
    Reputation : 542
    Join date : 2012-02-01
    Age : 25
    Location : The Forest, Illinois

    Re: This "Parochial" forum.

    Post by Tolvo on Mon May 13, 2013 5:36 pm

    Another issue is people like to jokingly say a lot of things to people they don't know, and end up coming off as insulting. To be fair though in a black and white world (Text is white background is black) people need to consider how their posts come off without any context of a friendship or tone from a voice.

    A lot of people say Casul as a joke on this forum (Even though it is tired and not funny) but to someone not a regular it may come off as a sort of trolling or antagonistic remark.
    avatar
    ResIsBestStat
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1863
    Reputation : 6
    Join date : 2013-03-25
    Age : 19
    Location : I'm homeless

    Re: This "Parochial" forum.

    Post by ResIsBestStat on Mon May 13, 2013 5:38 pm

    Tolvo wrote:Another issue is people like to jokingly say a lot of things to people they don't know, and end up coming off as insulting. To be fair though in a black and white world (Text is white background is black) people need to consider how their posts come off without any context of a friendship or tone from a voice.

    A lot of people say Casul as a joke on this forum (Even though it is tired and not funny) but to someone not a regular it may come off as a sort of trolling or antagonistic remark.

    Jokes are fine, but a problem that many people have nowadays is direct contact, sometimes people torment another player because they can torment him without any drawbacks, after all that player may be at another continent.
    avatar
    reim0027
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Posts : 6715
    Reputation : 381
    Join date : 2012-01-28

    Re: This "Parochial" forum.

    Post by reim0027 on Mon May 13, 2013 5:44 pm

    goober0331 wrote:It's because the DkS forums tend to create polarized groups of people. Its this whole "us vs. them" dichotomy.
    True. That's what happens everywhere there are a group of hardcore fans.

    Tolvo wrote:I'd say there is a difference between saying "I think you are wrong and this is why," and going "You're a *** idiot if you believe this."
    So true. The way you phrase things makes a huge difference. In order to keep a community strong, we have to respect each other's opinions and not insult them if you don't agree.


    _________________


    PSN usernames: reim0027_2,   reim0027_3,  and reim0027_5.  Skype ID: reim0027  
    Tour of Lordran Soul Levels  //  Official Wiki Fight Club // Forest Invasion Soul Levels // Low Level Invasion Rules
    avatar
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 4689
    Reputation : 257
    Join date : 2012-01-26

    Re: This "Parochial" forum.

    Post by Rynn on Mon May 13, 2013 6:12 pm

    I've become increasingly abrasive over the course of two or three months of dealing with such abrasiveness myself. My treatment of others is often very reflective of how i am being treated myself.
    avatar
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

    Posts : 7779
    Reputation : 268
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Location : Winterfell

    Re: This "Parochial" forum.

    Post by RANT on Mon May 13, 2013 6:20 pm

    yep, the only thing that bothers me is people that just have to get their point across and think their always right, so damn boring, i HATE arguing about a lot of stuff here since i feel its pointless because its a damn game.


    _________________
    Night gathers, and now my watch begins.
    I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.
    avatar
    DigitaLinsanitY
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 252
    Reputation : 31
    Join date : 2012-07-13

    Re: This "Parochial" forum.

    Post by DigitaLinsanitY on Mon May 13, 2013 6:51 pm

    I think there may be a bit too much stereotyping going on.

    It's unfair for players to be looked down upon for using certain mechanics / gear / emotes / etc.. Not everyone has a negative dispossession towards the same things. Some exceptions aside, we're all just trying to enjoy this great game... We should allow others to do the same within the context of the allowed mechanics that "FROM" has deemed appropriate.

    I try to be friendly to everyone I meet. The other day I got ganked in the PW by 2 giant dads. After I lost, I messaged them "THE LEGEND NEVER DIES". We had a good laugh about the video.

    I have plenty of people on my friends list who I met in duels who spammed magic / bs fished / wear the hswc etc.. A lot of them are very helpful. They will practice with you and help you overcome that which is troubling you.

    It's very liberating to play the game without worrying about offending / being offended.


    _________________
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    avatar
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

    Posts : 13287
    Reputation : 542
    Join date : 2012-02-01
    Age : 25
    Location : The Forest, Illinois

    Re: This "Parochial" forum.

    Post by Tolvo on Mon May 13, 2013 6:57 pm

    See what's actually sort of funny is, I make posts about play how you want, and I agree with what was just said above, but I actually do get pissed when certain things happen.

    Some gestures I don't like, some things give me a sort of feeling.

    Here is another thing though, I don't send people messages about it. I don't yell at people for it, I just get pissed in the moment and calm down later and try to look at it from another perspective.

    If you kill me with Pursuers while trying to BS fish as I fat roll in cosplay gear I can get pretty pissed, but I won't hold you to it. I'll just try and forget and maybe play with people who I will enjoy fighting with.

    People need to distance their emotional states from their rational thinking.

    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

    Posts : 9912
    Reputation : 106
    Join date : 2012-12-18

    Re: This "Parochial" forum.

    Post by User1 on Mon May 13, 2013 7:01 pm

    While I have had similar cases to you Digital, while there are some great people out there I can agree with Rant. Everyone thinks they're right. No one is allowing room for other reasonable opinions. People are holding grudges against one another about one disagreement. There are completely reasonable responses being downvoted for no apparent reason. The community is degrading on a whole, the "play-to-win" mindset is intoxicating and goes for efficiency only. Some disagree with it, some say spears are the ultimate weapon, which they *pretty much* are. Then others say something like "they're beatable" and that kicks off an argument about what is better, how to beat them, and then it degrades to insulting of other people's skill. It's just morally degrading to witness, to be honest. I try to stay out of PvP and General for these reasons. It's repeated topics, over and over. Arguments about the same things, over and over. People make another topic about a topic which was locked, they continue the argument there. It's genuinely shocking to witness just how.. Terrible some are at accepting other opinions, or at least taking them into consideration or attempting to understand them.

    Rant over, but the point *may* be understood. An argument about how the point doesn't make sense may come up though. lol
    avatar
    DigitaLinsanitY
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 252
    Reputation : 31
    Join date : 2012-07-13

    Re: This "Parochial" forum.

    Post by DigitaLinsanitY on Mon May 13, 2013 7:04 pm

    Tolvo. Fair play.

    I know you realize that when you cos play and fat roll you may be purposefully handicapping yourself. You're doing it because you enjoy it. Expecting others to do the same, or to take it easy on you is a little selfish. Just because someone casts persuers and bs fishes you is no reason to think of them as some scummy person in real life. (I'm not trying to imply that you do, just saying in general)

    cheers


    _________________
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    avatar
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

    Posts : 13287
    Reputation : 542
    Join date : 2012-02-01
    Age : 25
    Location : The Forest, Illinois

    Re: This "Parochial" forum.

    Post by Tolvo on Mon May 13, 2013 7:05 pm

    I know, that's why I was saying I don't hold it against them or yell at them about it, send them messages or try to force them to play a different way when fighting me. I just try to play with people instead that I will probably enjoy fighting, like another cosplayer since I'm more so looking for a messing around fight. I just get pissed in the moment is all, but even then I generally control myself to not hold it against them.
    avatar
    DigitaLinsanitY
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 252
    Reputation : 31
    Join date : 2012-07-13

    Re: This "Parochial" forum.

    Post by DigitaLinsanitY on Mon May 13, 2013 7:21 pm

    RenegadeCop wrote:While I have had similar cases to you Digital, while there are some great people out there I can agree with Rant. Everyone thinks they're right. No one is allowing room for other reasonable opinions. People are holding grudges against one another about one disagreement. There are completely reasonable responses being downvoted for no apparent reason. The community is degrading on a whole, the "play-to-win" mindset is intoxicating and goes for efficiency only. Some disagree with it, some say spears are the ultimate weapon, which they *pretty much* are. Then others say something like "they're beatable" and that kicks off an argument about what is better, how to beat them, and then it degrades to insulting of other people's skill. It's just morally degrading to witness, to be honest. I try to stay out of PvP and General for these reasons. It's repeated topics, over and over. Arguments about the same things, over and over. People make another topic about a topic which was locked, they continue the argument there. It's genuinely shocking to witness just how.. Terrible some are at accepting other opinions, or at least taking them into consideration or attempting to understand them.

    Rant over, but the point *may* be understood. An argument about how the point doesn't make sense may come up though. lol

    I think a lot of that has to due with new players circulating the forums (recurring arguments) and with how inefficient on line communication can be. Without body language and tone, the message can get lost or possibly get interpreted as more hostile than intended.


    _________________
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3419
    Reputation : 175
    Join date : 2013-01-17

    Re: This "Parochial" forum.

    Post by Animaaal on Mon May 13, 2013 7:26 pm

    I've lost my temper recently in regards to this topic.

    My apologies.

    I was also caught up in trying to state a new idea, I made a lot of statements as "factual" when they were actually me just getting overwhelmed and excited about all the responses trying to reiterate an idea that wasnt crafted that well to begin with in the op. I shoulda used some TLC.

    Anyway, I've been contributing to the problem.

    My name is maaal, and I'm an alcoholic<--j/k lol

    Anyways, my apologies.

    *I thought this would be a good place to put this comment.

    **I also agree that heated debate is sometimes misinterpreted as arguing or trolling when in fact its not.<---not trying to nullify my apology...just sayin.
    avatar
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

    Posts : 11501
    Reputation : 327
    Join date : 2012-04-18
    Age : 27
    Location : WPB, Florida

    Re: This "Parochial" forum.

    Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? on Mon May 13, 2013 7:36 pm

    I've been mostly steering clear of these PvP arguments. Cowardly, I know... Coffee!

    avatar
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

    Posts : 7779
    Reputation : 268
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Location : Winterfell

    Re: This "Parochial" forum.

    Post by RANT on Mon May 13, 2013 7:45 pm

    RenegadeCop wrote:While I have had similar cases to you Digital, while there are some great people out there I can agree with Rant. Everyone thinks they're right. No one is allowing room for other reasonable opinions. People are holding grudges against one another about one disagreement. There are completely reasonable responses being downvoted for no apparent reason. The community is degrading on a whole, the "play-to-win" mindset is intoxicating and goes for efficiency only. Some disagree with it, some say spears are the ultimate weapon, which they *pretty much* are. Then others say something like "they're beatable" and that kicks off an argument about what is better, how to beat them, and then it degrades to insulting of other people's skill. It's just morally degrading to witness, to be honest. I try to stay out of PvP and General for these reasons. It's repeated topics, over and over. Arguments about the same things, over and over. People make another topic about a topic which was locked, they continue the argument there. It's genuinely shocking to witness just how.. Terrible some are at accepting other opinions, or at least taking them into consideration or attempting to understand them.

    Rant over, but the point *may* be understood. An argument about how the point doesn't make sense may come up though. lol

    wait, were you talking to me? lol and yeah, that is also the reason i stopped posting *** much as i used to and moved on to off topic.


    _________________
    Night gathers, and now my watch begins.
    I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.

    Sponsored content

    Re: This "Parochial" forum.

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:36 am