Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
SirArchmage
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
SadPanda
Animaaal
8 posters

Brainstorming a Community Weapon Rating System

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Brainstorming a Community Weapon Rating System Empty Brainstorming a Community Weapon Rating System

Post by Animaaal Sat May 11, 2013 11:15 pm

I've been wondering how to multi-layer a poll and/or edit an original post that would reflect our forum's opinion of the weapons in Dark Souls.

I do like to edit my op's, so how could you do that? I thought about maybe a system that would give all weapons say 5 categories, and a 1-5 rating system. I would then (after say 2 or 3 ratings submitted by forumers) add the numbers, and give the averages in the op.

It wouldn't be a conversation thread (there could be one linked i guess). But really only a "I submit these ratings".

Also, how would you prevent people from submitting all 5's??? I thought about only allowing to use (if there were 5 categories) say 2-5's, 2-4's, and 1-3. That way no one could say, "Well the SKS is 5/5/5/5/5."

I'm gonna be bored out of my mind for the next few days or so, I'll (or someone else for that matter) would be glad to put it together.

thanks, maaal
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Brainstorming a Community Weapon Rating System Empty Re: Brainstorming a Community Weapon Rating System

Post by SadPanda Sat May 11, 2013 11:20 pm

I vote Claymore as the first candidate. Other than that, it sounds like a cool idea.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Brainstorming a Community Weapon Rating System Empty Re: Brainstorming a Community Weapon Rating System

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sat May 11, 2013 11:24 pm

Could rate by weapon class, moveset, weight, statistical investment, off-hand viability, upgrade ease or upgrade customizability, synergy with ring pairings, etc...
    SirArchmage
    SirArchmage
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by SirArchmage Sat May 11, 2013 11:25 pm

No idea how you would go about that. I'd ask one of the moderators or admins for help. Seems like something they'd help with.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sat May 11, 2013 11:35 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:Could rate by weapon class, moveset, weight, statistical investment, off-hand viability, upgrade ease or upgrade customizability, synergy with ring pairings, etc...

Class might be a completely seperate rating system by itself.

Moveset? For Sure

Stat Investment...hmmmmmm....thats along the lines of weight too, something I've always considering in "tiering" or rating a weapon.

Off-hand viability? I like that.

Upgrade? idk man, that might be irrelevant in the long run dont you think?

Synergy and pairing with rings...thats something I'm still trying to consider.

Some categories I'd deem very relevant would be:

-Stamina consumption

-Moveset

-Stat investment/weight<--???

-Gimmicks<--???

-Range

-Overall<--???

Something along these lines. I need help with the categories and numbers, ie 2-5's, 2-4's, 1-3's.

***edit***

oh ya, thanks guys.

Last edited by Animaaal on Sat May 11, 2013 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : shpeling)
    SirArchmage
    SirArchmage
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by SirArchmage Sat May 11, 2013 11:37 pm

DPS

Poise statistics.

Ease of use

A polls will have to be done.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sat May 11, 2013 11:44 pm

Polls, this is where it gets a little tricky. I like the suggestions, thanks.

When polling, I believe you can have up to 24 available answers. You seperate them with a line break, and you are allowed to select.

In mulitple choice, I'm unsure if there was a limit. You can also change your vote. I'm pretty familar with how to poll, but with these selections being the limitaions, I dont know how you'd do it.

You would almost have to create a seperate poll for every weapon, that would kinda p*** people off i think.

However, the author editing the posts can run very smoothly and be easily maintained with the proper rules and format in the original post.

Maybe a "what is the best class poll" incorporated with an averaged rating system could work fantastically i would assume.

Unless there is a way to multi-layer a poll, i believe this would be the easiest way to go.

I'd edit the op np. I'm pretty used to it now and entering small edits is really no problem if you write your post correctly.

BUT YA lol, this is what I was thinking i guess :?: Shrug :?:
    Sneezer
    Sneezer
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Sneezer Sun May 12, 2013 12:19 am

You could do the specific moveset? Roll R1 1H, Run 2H R1, etc. Though that'd be a bit dull in the long run.

Be sure to add stunlocking capability if that wasn't mentioned.
    KrazykevS10
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by KrazykevS10 Sun May 12, 2013 12:29 am

I'm not trying to put your idea down as I know you are specifically trying to prevent it but the whole tier debate has been very flame-y lately.I guess doing a vote only thread is a better way to go about it but I dislike the whole putting stuff into categories thing.
    I would say moveset is the biggest thing to consider,damage isn't as relevant to how good the weapon is as how easily you will be backstabbed/parried using it.
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Sun May 12, 2013 12:40 am

moveset
    poise break
    buffable
    weight to damage ratio
    damage to speed ratio
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sun May 12, 2013 12:43 am

Well thanks for that Krazy, but I think its controlable.

With rules comes obedience. A seperate thread with a link for conversations would be a deterent to the original threads goal as well.

I think it would be neat and fun. Just because some people like cruntching numbers and discussing techniques does not necessarily mean its a flame war.

I see people accused all the time of flaming when I personally dont think they were doing so.

But none-the-less, time will tell I suppose.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Bow

@raecor and everyone i guess lol

Do you think poise damage and moveset and buffable and etc should be unified under one category, or should all possible offenses be catergorized individually?

Personally I'd like to try and stick to maybe 5-6 categories, but only in order to save myself some work...not trying to be lazy though. lol
    KrazykevS10
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by KrazykevS10 Sun May 12, 2013 1:07 am

I hope you took no offence as I meant none.
    I'm interested to see what the most liked weapons are,that way I'll know what to try out.
    Sneezer
    Sneezer
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Sneezer Sun May 12, 2013 1:17 am

Well, quantity means quality in this case. If you want an in-depth analysis you're going to have to put the work in.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sun May 12, 2013 2:54 am

@Krazy

Not at all dude, wasnt even thinkin it.

@Sneezer

Ya.....sigh.....

But I'm hoping something with proper management can be at least semi-extensive and relatively comprehesive at the same time.

Editing details all the way down to say 10 categories and what not might not be something I could handle. But at the same time, with a proper format, editing original posts can start to "edit themselves" so to speak.

Thanks a lot guys, this has given me something to think about. I'm sure something pretty cool can come out of some of these ideas...

...hmmmmmmmm.
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Sun May 12, 2013 3:28 am

i say combine it. its all pretty basic soo
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Sun May 12, 2013 4:25 am

If it had to have a hard limit of 5 categories I'd say something along the lines of

Damage Potential (this would catch things like comparability with Leo, Buffability scaling)

Range. (And by range I don't just mean how long or short, I think it should also include how the weapon swings, a spear pokes a long narrow area of threat, the claymore has arching swings and can threaten a wide space around the user.)

Swing speed / Recovery time. (pretty self explanatory)

Poisebreak/staminadrain (can it stunlock? how well does it crush shield turtling)

Variety. (Can it be used effectively in more than one way? How many of it's attacks are useful? Example. Uchi has good R1s all around and a useable 1hr2, it's 2hr2 however is not very good. And it can approach a fight in a few different ways, very agressively, as a fast tool for punishing)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:47 am