Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
EarthScraper
Dibsville
Shkar
skarekrow13
FirstOfTheDead
9 posters

Artorias then and now...

FirstOfTheDead
    FirstOfTheDead
    Casual
    Casual

Artorias then and now... Empty Artorias then and now...

Post by FirstOfTheDead Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:26 am

So, back in time, in Oolacile, Artorias got corrupted by the Abyss...What if the player didn't show up back in time to kill him, it is possible that he may be still alive somewhere? And that works for Manus amd Gough too!
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Artorias then and now... Empty Re: Artorias then and now...

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:44 am

I doubt it. My personal belief is that the Abyss gets him if we don't. Basically, if we don't do it, it kind of self destructs and accomplishes the same goal. That's about the only way to account for the rest of the story not changing at all. Essentially, the only thing us going back in time does is land us some cool gear, neat tricks and some puppy love in the forest if we did that story line right.
    FirstOfTheDead
    FirstOfTheDead
    Casual
    Casual

Post by FirstOfTheDead Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:15 pm

I understand! It's plausible! winking
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:39 pm

You don't actually change the past. The major events are set, time is unchanging in Dark Souls (blows the "time is distorted" stuff out of the water, huh?).

All you can do is retexture it a bit.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:40 pm

The Abyss would have eventually swallowed him and brought his life to an end.
    In the cut dialogue, it's pretty clear that Artorias knew he was going insane, and tried to fight against it. I think he would have ended his own life before he completely went on a full-on rampage.
    FirstOfTheDead
    FirstOfTheDead
    Casual
    Casual

Post by FirstOfTheDead Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:56 pm

That makes sense! But if you were to change the past it would have been an awsome way to give players something new to do and find them...a new DLC maybe... big grin
    EarthScraper
    EarthScraper
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by EarthScraper Sun May 26, 2013 6:54 pm

what, so you can go back even further into time? when the age of fire was fresh in Lordran? It would be cool, but it wouldn't feel right, it'll take the games dark atmosphere away from it
    Scurrilous Straggler
    Scurrilous Straggler
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Scurrilous Straggler Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:05 pm

With the DLC I have spent some time thinking about what's going on if you don't complete the DLC. I came to the conclusion that Artorias goes even madder and tries to confront Manus in his insanity and corruption. I had two outcomes in my head. One is that he manages to defeat Manus and is consumed by the explosion of abyss and dies as well. The other was that Manus kills Artorias and is, himself, corrupted by the remaining humanity from Artorias. There are many holes in those theories, of course, and I have no basis on which to place them, but with DLC like this it's hard to think of what could happen had we not done it because DLC is based on the idea that you will do it, so the outcomes match how the main game is.
    Encore
    Encore
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : Bracing myself for the Winds of Change, being supported by the towering pillars of my friends.

Post by Encore Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:16 am

If the player did not show up the abyss would spread faster, Manus would grow stronger and Artorias would probably rage through Oolacile, growing stronger as he destroyed everyone with the slight chance of defeating him.

Eventually the world would be quickly consumed by the abyss, and the corrupted beasts would ravage the places that are able to withstand the abyss.

The undead and mankind would be slowly destroyed by themselves as their humanity grew out of control, mutating them and turning most of them to beings similar to the bloatheads.

For a few tenth of years some skilled undead would defend themselves, but since the situation is so bleak and hopeless, the undead would turn hollow... Eventually the world would be a dark and lonely place, roamed by hollows, mutated mortals and perhaps a few disillusioned undeads.

At least there would be a good source of humanity.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:55 pm

Shkar wrote:You don't actually change the past. The major events are set, time is unchanging in Dark Souls (blows the "time is distorted" stuff out of the water, huh?).

All you can do is retexture it a bit.

It's probably better explained by saying that the player had always journeyed back and altered the past, and didn't know it yet.

Time is distored, after all.  Just because you don't have to do it in-game doesn't mean it wouldn't be done later.

Essentially the legend of Artorias stopping the abyss was actually the player all along, regardless of whether we find out or not.  There is no alternative; the player's success there is part of the current reality, and the current reality really doesn't care at which point in the chosen undead's existence that the chosen undead goes back there.

We can, of course, speculate on this, as well as what would have happened if the player never existed or even what happens to Lordran should he die/become hollow.
    samster628
    samster628
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by samster628 Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:50 am

TheMeInTeam wrote:
    It's probably better explained by saying that the player had always journeyed back and altered the past, and didn't know it yet.

Time is distored, after all.  Just because you don't have to do it in-game doesn't mean it wouldn't be done later.

Essentially the legend of Artorias stopping the abyss was actually the player all along, regardless of whether we find out or not.  There is no alternative; the player's success there is part of the current reality, and the current reality really doesn't care at which point in the chosen undead's existence that the chosen undead goes back there.

We can, of course, speculate on this, as well as what would have happened if the player never existed or even what happens to Lordran should he die/become hollow.

I agree. Because you stopped Artorias in the past you technically did it even before your character was born. In a syntax not yet invented you simultaneously have killed Art and will kill him until you go back in time and actually kill him when the syntax goes to you have killed him and that is that. Odd.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 pm