Things You've Done as a Newbie

twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Re: Things You've Done as a Newbie

Post by twigsterxd on Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:40 am

Very 1st playthrough I didn't know where to go. Went to new londo and got killed by ghosts cause I didn't know what to do lol. Went back cause I had 2k in souls but died trying to get them. Asked a friend how to kill the ghosts and he said, "DON'T GO IN THERE YET YA NOOB!!!" lol

Visit http://fextralife.com

subscribe, have fun, keep the site going
    Muker
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Muker on Wed May 01, 2013 9:58 am

I've dropped a lot of weapons because i thought the moveset and stamina consumption sucks. Later I discovered that when you have enough strength the movesets changes to the proper one.
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor on Wed May 01, 2013 10:04 am

Spents a good bit leveling up to take out the graveyard skellies, still had memories of the a good soul return from demons, after getting bled out and dieing so many times i finally got 1 and got sfa souls for it i was gutted. Before that on my trip to levelling up for no reason, i saw a shiny on the bridge, i jumped i missed, respawned jumped made it. Picked up said item, oh ring of sacrifice, equipped it and lost it 2 seconds later.

PC:AnCapaillMor

XBOX: I'll give you 2 guesses
    ninjashifty
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ninjashifty on Wed May 01, 2013 4:32 pm

My first play through was offline completely. I found the ring of sacrifice on the bridge and equipped it and then realized I couldn't get back over the gap even though I jumped over in the first place. So I jumped off the bridge to respawn at firelink shrine thinking, that was a waste of a good ring. At least I kept my souls.

I heard about shooting his tail off a dragon on a bridge by going underneath the bridge. So I found a crossbow but couldn't get the damn thing to hit its tail.

Then I leveled my dex to like 35 and then I found that I liked using my lightning katana which I had acquired earlier by accidently killing the undead merchant by hitting his damn bucket. This prevented me from buying arrows for the bow that I needed to shoot "dragon's" tail.

I had the hardest time killing O&S with 15 vitality, but damn it, I had 40 dex and my lightning katana.
    Tchuwib
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Tchuwib on Wed May 01, 2013 5:34 pm

Instead of doing slow and steady up to Taurus in Burg, I've tried rushing the thing on the first night because me and my friend had plan on doing the game co-op at is house the next day. Took me 4 hour and got pretty tired for work after.

Tanklord
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Tanklord on Wed May 01, 2013 6:06 pm

I got sick of getting cursed in the Depths so I put my Resistance up to a ludicrous 42. This was before I discovered the Cursebite Ring.

Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Latitoast on Wed May 01, 2013 6:39 pm

Someone was sitting next to me when I made my first build, so it was hard to screw up.

I kinda enjoyed not dying, but there were way too many instances where I would have died, and should have died, but he just told me what was a trap and what wasn't.

chantienyee
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by chantienyee on Thu May 02, 2013 5:01 am

My most embarrassing is that I didn't know that you could refill estus until halfway through my first playthrough. I used the heal miracle because there was nothing like estus in Demon's Souls. So I just didn't use it... I must have read the developer message but I think what happened was since Firelink starts at 10 (right?) and Undead Burg starts at 5 I figured that I just wasn't getting them back.

I also never caught onto the things the game was trying to teach me. So it took me like 50 deaths on the tutorial boss because I didn't see the developer message (well, it's right where the frikken boss lands "this is no time to read messages") or the door open. So in my first playthrough I finally figured out that I could use black firebombs to kill him. Needless to say I was probably more frustrated than most playing for the first time...

So I obviously didn't learn the plunging attack for Taurus. I don't think I learned about that until a friend told me after, like, my 5th playthrough or something? Same with the Capra plunging trick. I'm hopefully more prepared for Dark Souls 2 now though...

Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor on Thu May 02, 2013 5:04 am

Tanklord wrote:I got sick of getting cursed in the Depths so I put my Resistance up to a ludicrous 42. This was before I discovered the Cursebite Ring.

You crazy paddies, i thought i was bad with 15 res, this was after i heard my mate got cursed 3 times in a row before multiple curses were patched out.
    chantienyee
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by chantienyee on Thu May 02, 2013 5:25 am

Oh, also, for my second character, I had read up a little after my first blind playthrough, but still didn't know a lot. I knew to get the uchi and scale with dex, but I eventually went up to 99 dex (on my platinum character) and I didn't realize until probably close to the end of the first playthrough with that character that lightning uchi didn't scale with dex D: Kept using it anyway... Also never thought to upgrade armour or shield...

And like someone else said, I got lost somewhere around the forest. I thought I had to fight the hydra around level 20-ish? Didn't know about Moonlight Butterfly until the same friend told me.

I had a lot of newb luck too.
    After dying a million times to Asylum and Taurus, I turned to my girlfriend before the Gargoyles and said, "I'm going to die 50 times" and beat them on my third try!

I didn't know that curse existed in my first playthrough because the curse mist obscured my vision of the curse bar and I happened to just not catch it at all. I also never caught toxic on my first playthrough.

I heard horror stories about the skeletons in the Catacombs being invincible (I thought that they just always came to life and you could never kill them -- this was before I actually went down there). But on my first playthrough I must have just happened to kill all of the necromancers before I even noticed skeletons reanimating.

Also, I never went down from the Depths to Blighttown on my first playthrough, I went the master key route -- cake! I didn't understand why my friend complained about Blighttown. I also didn't know what humanity was, so I never encountered black phantoms or was invaded.

I didn't know that humanity healed you until maybe after my first playthrough? And I didn't know how to coop until many playthroughs later. I still don't really know how to invade after like 10-ish playthroughs.

Post by crazydogtfa on Thu May 02, 2013 5:53 am

1 thing that I done and still do is not upgreade my stats to make a proper build

Frit

Post by Frit on Sat May 04, 2013 6:59 am

Misunderstand what the Crestfallen guy meant and head down to the Catacombs - at level 1 - in search of a Bell.
    I've spent around 10 hours there just trying to survive. Each skeleton fight was around 5 minutes, just to find out that inside they would revive.
    I ended up kiting all the skeletons until the first bonfire and throwing them to the abyss upstairs.

That place was a nightmare, but those first hours of gaming forced me to practice parrying, so when I went to the Burg everything was way easier.

Hue
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Hue on Sat May 04, 2013 8:35 am

Frit wrote:Misunderstand what the Crestfallen guy meant and head down to the Catacombs - at level 1 - in search of a Bell.
    I've spent around 10 hours there just trying to survive. Each skeleton fight was around 5 minutes, just to find out that inside they would revive.
    I ended up kiting all the skeletons until the first bonfire and throwing them to the abyss upstairs.

That place was a nightmare, but those first hours of gaming forced me to practice parrying, so when I went to the Burg everything was way easier.

Parrying skeletons 🇳🇴

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    [i]Huehuehue.[/i]
    mymgodlike

Post by mymgodlike on Sat May 04, 2013 8:38 am

well im a noob and i didn't know that demon will fall first time and i died but than i passed over him im trying to record my progress xD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_86RmiZPIU
    ExplodingPenguin
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ExplodingPenguin on Sat May 04, 2013 9:12 am

Oh and I just spent most of this morning hurling myself into the darkness in the Tomb of Giants trying to find the gorram Silver Serpent Ring since the Prism stones kept on lying to me and I heard that the ring was on a platform you have to do a leap of faith to reach.

Then I gave up and google'd it and it turned out I was in the wrong part of the Tombs; I was at the first bonfire not the second. :I

Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Hue on Sat May 04, 2013 10:49 am

ExplodingPenguin wrote:Oh and I just spent most of this morning hurling myself into the darkness in the Tomb of Giants trying to find the gorram Silver Serpent Ring since the Prism stones kept on lying to me and I heard that the ring was on a platform you have to do a leap of faith to reach.

Then I gave up and google'd it and it turned out I was in the wrong part of the Tombs; I was at the first bonfire not the second. :I

You have to jump off where there is a corpse, at Rhea's level(i think)

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    [i]Huehuehue.[/i]
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville on Sat May 04, 2013 10:54 am

Only gotten the Silver ring twice in all of my 2k+ playthroughs. Still can't find the Effigy shield, I've stopped trying to actually explore the Tomb ever since my first playthrough.

Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Latitoast on Sat May 04, 2013 12:11 pm

You still haven't found the Effigy Shield?

It's so easy to find, you'll probably accidentaly aggro the Black Knight that guards it without even trying to get the shield.

Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville on Sat May 04, 2013 12:16 pm

I know where it is now, I've just never picked it up.

chantienyee
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by chantienyee on Sat May 04, 2013 3:13 pm

There's a waaay easier way to get the Silver Serpent Ring. I always see people making the drop from the corpse in videos but the way that I taught myself in my blind playthroughs was to just jump up from the area with the skeleton dog and the giant just outside the second tomb bonfire. Cake.

Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Latitoast on Sat May 04, 2013 3:16 pm

Dibsville wrote:I know where it is now, I've just never picked it up.
    To be honest it's not really worth it.

Quarik
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Quarik on Mon May 06, 2013 3:28 am

Fought the Stray Demon with an unupgraded Morningstar at SL 8. Took me hours, but I managed to do it. Incidentally, that ended up being my level 300 pvp god. It's funny how things can change with 200 hours of practice.

Obsessed

Post by VaDoom on Mon May 06, 2013 6:49 am

I started with the pendant as starting gift... And tried to find a use for it the whole game. (Oh wait, some others (not noobs) did that too...)

I got to new londo and saw messages at the bottom of the stairs before the 4 kings saying things like :
    "try ring", "try covenant", "do whatever..."
    I tried all rings I had one after an other and died drowning in the abyss each time.
    I tried joining different covenants with ideas like "huuum, white might be stronger than the Abyss, let's try Way of White then".
    When I got bored of diying, I just got elsewhere and the first thing I did was killing Sif... I then looked skyward for an hour realising how retarded I've been...

Werdax
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Werdax on Mon May 06, 2013 7:18 am

I've went to the catacombs and ToG with low upgraded weapons, no divine weapons and no lantern. I fought my way through the skeletons by kicking them off the nearest ledge.
    When I finally got to ToG, I had no idea that the lantern was an actual lantern. I was terrified for the monsters down there, because I could not defend myself in the darkness. Worst of all was the giant dog-imitating skeletons.
    I figured a way to kill them, by pissing them off, then run back to the bonfire. They would then proceed to jump on my head, and fall off the edge. I did this through every single one of them, until I finally reached the yellow fog gate. Imagine my anger when I found out I couldn't go any further.
    It took me several hours to get out again. And oddly enough, once I got OUT of the catacombs, the lantern in my backpack got me curious. I equipped it and finds out it was in fact a lantern. I raged even more.

Though, all this could have been avoided, I am sort of proud of myself. I used my wits rather then my brawn to progress through the level. Something which I believe is a very important thing in Dark souls.
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd on Tue May 07, 2013 8:44 am

Dying 2 or 3 times trying to kill demon in asylum with broken hilt because I never saw the door you suppose to run through to find your gear lol

Visit http://fextralife.com

subscribe, have fun, keep the site going

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:21 am