Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
FungalPsychosis
raecor14
6 posters

Weapon Upgrade System I would like to see

FungalPsychosis
    FungalPsychosis
    Casual
    Casual

Weapon Upgrade System I would like to see Empty Weapon Upgrade System I would like to see

Post by FungalPsychosis Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:05 pm

Many have mentioned, including myself, that they hope to see an upgrade system in Dark Souls 2 similar to that of Demon's Souls. While I don't disagree, I also hope the system is more simplified like that of Dark Souls.

My main hope is to keep the +15 path of Dark Souls. The basic path would act somewhat like the quality path we see in Demon's Souls, and every weapon would have at least some scaling in both strength and dex. Obviously, some weapons will benefit more with dex than strength and vice versa, but there will still be some scaling. This would have it's own unique upgrade material, such as clearstone.

At +5 we would gain access to modifying the weapon with things more focused around scaling and effects such as crit and bleed. All paths I'd like to see are in the spoiler.

Spoiler:
    At +10 we would see effects more beneficial to hybrid builds and unique builds. All paths I'd like to see are in the spoiler.

Spoiler:
    Besides all the weapon paths, I still hope unique weapon remain, such as Dragon tail drops. These would all stop upgrading at +5 and have unique movesets. They would upgrade with things such as dragon scales and twinkling titanite. Whether or not the weapon is buffable depends strictly on the weapon and what the developers want to do.

One thing I want to bring up is covenant exclusive weapon paths. What are everyones' opinions on this? The idea came to me earlier. What if Darkwraiths had a unique path such as life leech whereas the Darkmoons had something like stamina drain to prevent people from running away? If anything, I think it would encourage people to get more involved with certain covenants and it would have a great impact on the multiplayer aspect of Dark Souls 2.

Anyways, please share your thoughts on what kind of upgrade system you'd like to see, whether it be similar to mine or something completely different and feel free to suggest other weapon paths.

Last edited by FungalPsychosis on Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Weapon Upgrade System I would like to see Empty Re: Weapon Upgrade System I would like to see

Post by raecor14 Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:30 pm

as much as a respect the idea, all i can see is a demons souls fanboy crying out for demon's souls 2, i personally think that (apart from elemental) the upgrading system was perfect.
    FungalPsychosis
    FungalPsychosis
    Casual
    Casual

Weapon Upgrade System I would like to see Empty Re: Weapon Upgrade System I would like to see

Post by FungalPsychosis Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:45 pm

raecor14 wrote:as much as a respect the idea, all i can see is a demons souls fanboy crying out for demon's souls 2, i personally think that (apart from elemental) the upgrading system was perfect.
    To be honest I think Dark Souls is a better game, I just dislike the upgrade system.
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:55 pm

FungalPsychosis wrote:Many have mentioned, including myself, that they hope to see an upgrade system in Dark Souls 2 similar to that of Demon's Souls. While I don't disagree, I also hope the system is more simplified like that of Dark Souls.

My main hope is to keep the +15 path of Dark Souls. The basic path would act somewhat like the quality path we see in Demon's Souls, and every weapon would have at least some scaling in both strength and dex. Obviously, some weapons will benefit more with dex than strength and vice versa, but there will still be some scaling. This would have it's own unique upgrade material, such as clearstone.

At +5 we would gain access to modifying the weapon with things more focused around scaling and effects such as crit and bleed. All paths I'd like to see are in the spoiler.

Spoiler:
    At +10 we would see effects more beneficial to hybrid builds and unique builds. All paths I'd like to see are in the spoiler.

Spoiler:
    Besides all the weapon paths, I still hope unique weapon remain, such as Dragon tail drops. These would all stop upgrading at +5 and have unique movesets. They would upgrade with things such as dragon scales and twinkling titanite. Whether or not the weapon is buffable depends strictly on the weapon and what the developers want to do.

One thing I want to bring up is covenant exclusive weapon paths. What are everyones' opinions on this? The idea came to me earlier. What if Darkwraiths had a unique path such as life leech whereas the Darkmoons had something like stamina drain to prevent people from running away? If anything, I think it would encourage people to get more involved with certain covenants and it would have a great impact on the multiplayer aspect of Dark Souls 2.

Anyways, please share your thoughts on what kind of upgrade system you'd like to see, whether it be similar to mine or something completely different and feel free to suggest other weapon paths.
    I like the idea, it's just that the upgrading system couldn't exactly get worse from here. FromSoft could pretty much do anything they wanted, and from 2 games experience they know which paths are a little more OP and which are just flat out terrible. An upgrade path i would like to see is something that adds status effects, like poison or bleed.
    ublug
    ublug
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

Post by ublug Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:43 am

If they keep the raw upgrade I hope it gets some other kind of benefit to compensate for the lack of AR, for example increased stability and damage reduction when used to block.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:18 am

I want swing speed upgrades, poise upgrades, and like ublug said blocking upgrades.
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:05 am

Animaaal wrote:I want swing speed upgrades, poise upgrades, and like ublug said blocking upgrades.
    That could work if increased poise break decreases swing speed and vice versa for speed. Hadn't though about that.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:03 am

^Ya maybe. Heck though just 4 or 5 points of poise would make a world of difference for a couple weapons as is now.

I like your concept a little better though.
    GaryBlevins
    Casual
    Casual

Post by GaryBlevins Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:08 pm

Firstly, I like the idea in concept. I am always in favor of being able to build weapons rather than having to farm for them.

Secondly, I realy want the upgrade to change the appearance of the weapon somehow. For the elemental and magic system, this is pretty straightforward, just have the weapon glowing the respective color of the upgrade.
    Maybe tearing would shine brightly, as if the blade was extremely sharp; fatal could make the blade get bloodier as you use hit crits with it, and so on.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:18 am