Why R We Better?

User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Re: Why R We Better?

Post by User1 on Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:18 pm

I go all "NO I'M BUSY" mode when I play a game.

I just ignore everything else around me, purely focusing on the game. Hell, even my music I have on becomes more like a noise which helps me concentrate.

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal on Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:20 pm

@densetsushun

Well I didn't say highly disagree at first, but I'll say it now lol. silly

James at Gamefront? Um, I think its staged. No one would watch otherwise.

All I said is that resilience/patience/persistence has been brought up a couple times now as the "main factor".

There's more to it imo.

Also, if James wasn't getting paid, and he actually (by some slim chance) was like that irl....would he have finished it?

WAIT! It's money! Money is the key factor. From now on we must all get paid to play Dark Souls...forum...make it happen. Evil Fex

@Latitoast and Renegade

Now we're getting somewhere...me too.

User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 on Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:23 pm

Let's sit down and do some Dark Souls to intensely loud rock music. silly
    Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Latitoast on Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:37 pm

People have gotten mad at me for doing this before, but when I play a game it's the only thing I pay attention to. You could be sitting right next to me, but to get my attention you'd have to send me a PM on the game I'm playing for me to notice someone's trying to talk to me.

User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 on Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:39 pm

You know what, that defines my "NO I'M BUSY" mode.
    If anyone else is next to me, they literally cannot be heard by me at that time.
    Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Latitoast on Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:42 pm

I basically use games to avoid the world.

You have to stand in front of the screen to get my attention.

Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Location : Sitting here in limbo, but I know it won't be long. Sitting here in limbo, like a bird without a song. Well they're putting up resistance, but I know that my faith will lead me on. Sitting here in limbo, waiting for the dice to roll.

Post by Odinbear on Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:42 pm

densetsushun wrote: The Souls series is special in that, the mobs aren't cannon fodder and there's no concept of overleveling, but other than that the levels are easy to master and the mobs are also easy with enough practice.

With that in mind, the answer to your question would be: resilience. Souls players don't give up after the first death, or the 1000th.

Levels are easy to learn the patterns after 1st or 2nd time through, that FIRST TIME, though, it's brutal. I love it! Now I hope they (FROM) can " fix" some of the predictability of multiple playthroughs (maybe even, that enemies react differently whether you are a caster, a knight, a bow user, and or extra mobs, enemies, different AI's on NG+. And above. (next gen? DKs3?)

... And, WE DO NOT GIVE UP. and seriously, who wants to play games that tell you what buttons to push and it's all a matter of pushing them "on cue"?

In a world with so few RULES, its always rough when someone plays in a way you think is unfair. Get over it.

User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 on Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:45 pm

I have always thought, when pushing buttons to kill things, you being in front of the enemy is the cue to press the button to kill. So, from my point of view, pretty much everything you do is on cue. silly
    Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Location : Sitting here in limbo, but I know it won't be long. Sitting here in limbo, like a bird without a song. Well they're putting up resistance, but I know that my faith will lead me on. Sitting here in limbo, waiting for the dice to roll.

Post by Odinbear on Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:56 pm

RenegadeCop wrote:I have always thought, when pushing buttons to kill things, you being in front of the enemy is the cue to press the button to kill. So, from my point of view, pretty much everything you do is on cue. silly

UT OH, missed myCUE. YOU DIED! ( cues Mario death music,)

In a world with so few RULES, its always rough when someone plays in a way you think is unfair. Get over it.

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal on Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:04 pm

My take on persistence....

I wanted to clone my Knights of the Round in FF7...

I wanted a pure bladestone...

Beating the BoC...

I believe determination is a key characteristic for a Dark Souls player, as a matter of fact, a very crucial one. However, adaptation, imo, is probably more important. Examples...

1) The Bell Gargs for the first time. I remember thinking, "Okay, I need to upgrade, die a few times, and study their movesets..."

2) The archers in Anor Londo. Before long, I was running up there abusing i-frames and barehand parrying them.
    Why did I "block to my death" all those times? lol Look Skyward

3) The Painted Guardians in the rafters in Anor Londo. "DONT LOCK ON ANIMAAAL!!! For the love of God...STOP...LOCKING...ON!!!!!!!"

4) Of course, beating the BoC without dying.

Most games can be beaten with enough time and play...Dark Souls (for the most part) is NOT one of those games without the addition of the skill of adaptation. O and S will have zero problems sitting on your head 1001 times....such a strange move.... :suspect:

Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Odinbear on Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:11 pm

I lock onto those rafter guardians alla time. Early on I usta hit, one too many times and plunge to my death but have adapted. I lock, unlock when I think appropriate, I hit and block. Still have problems getting across those rafters using my black Sony controller as the left toggle sticks forward sometimes, that causes more deaths now, than locking on.

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal on Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:16 pm

Odinbear wrote:I lock onto those rafter guardians alla time. Early on I usta hit, one too many times and plunge to my death but have adapted. I lock, unlock when I think appropriate, I hit and block. Still have problems getting across those rafters using my black Sony controller as the left toggle sticks forward sometimes, that causes more deaths now, than locking on.

Not locking onto them is obviously a better option, but yes, I lock on sometimes too...with my Dragonslayer Bow.

The point of the example was that sometimes, one option will trump another.

Also, you clearly stated you "adapted".

Lastly kudos, I died eveytime I locked on melee. Look Skyward
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd on Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:18 pm

RenegadeCop wrote:Let's sit down and do some Dark Souls to intensely loud rock music. silly
    I wish. I live in a place I pay room & board. If anyone sneezes too loud the little rats run to the landlord lol. Can't use headphones cause I'm deaf in one ear so the tunes sound awful.

User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 on Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:17 pm

I use headphones myself, and one of earpiece doesn't work. Still, it's better than nothing. But, I can see why you can't, goddamn shame. sad

Xaelai
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Xaelai on Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:31 pm

Rafter Guardians?

All I do is shoot them with an arrow, they'll run over towards me and try to do their jump forward attack and go right off the rafter and plunge to their death.

Every. Stinking. Time.
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd on Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:24 pm

Odinbear wrote:I lock onto those rafter guardians alla time. Early on I usta hit, one too many times and plunge to my death but have adapted. I lock, unlock when I think appropriate, I hit and block. Still have problems getting across those rafters using my black Sony controller as the left toggle sticks forward sometimes, that causes more deaths now, than locking on.
    LOL sounds like me. Controller deaths suck especially when you set controller down to either get a drink or hit the bathroom, you come back and noticed you died and your stain has 0 souls and 0 soft humanity lol
    0 souls and 0 soft humanity because you died more than once

Last edited by twigsterxd on Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot a line)

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal on Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:45 pm

While we're derailed a little lol, who else has been "speed running" back to Firelink from the Burg, locked onto the first hollow standing outside the door next to the rat, killed him and forgot to unlock, then naturally locked on the the hollow standing on the ground next to the staircase, and circled strafed of the damn stairs to their death?

Anyone else? I musta done that a couple dozen times....

...I made too many toons...
    Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Odinbear on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:58 am

Animaaal wrote:While we're derailed a little lol, who else has been "speed running" back to Firelink from the Burg, locked onto the first hollow standing outside the door next to the rat, killed him and forgot to unlock, then naturally locked on the the hollow standing on the ground next to the staircase, and circled strafed of the damn stairs to their death?

Anyone else? I musta done that a couple dozen times....

...I made too many toons...

Wut? Huh? Not me. :roll:

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal on Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:00 am

Odinbear wrote:...Wut? Huh? Not me. :roll:...

You haven't played enough, wut r u casul? silly

***edit***

Back on topic please.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:54 pm