Str Build help?

badhealthcare
    Casual
    Casual

Str Build help?

Post by badhealthcare on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:43 pm

Decided on building a strength build to keep things interesting.

http://mmdks.com/21bu

Thats what I have so far, but i dont know what to do
    with the last 2 units of weight, I dont mind midrolling.
    Any general tips or anything else are appreciated, this
    is my first full on strength build so it is bound to have
    some issues with viability or something. Thanks in advance!

Note: I would like to avoid using the family masks if at
    all possible, but if it is a must I guess ill settle for it.
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Re: Str Build help?

Post by Dibsville on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:47 pm

I'd replace Stone Greataxe for normal Greataxe for higher scaling and better moveset, put Heavy Crossbow in the off-hand and add a quick stunlock weapon for those tight situations. I'd also get rid of the spells slots and bump END up to 40.
    Like this

badhealthcare
    Casual
    Casual

Post by badhealthcare on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:53 pm

Hmm, this is good. Now i can switch out the elite knight gauntlets for havel's for a whopping 84 poise.
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:54 pm

77 poise can take a hit from almost every attack in the game, with the exception of things like Force/Emit Force/WoG and a few R2s.

RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:04 pm

if you're really set on 50 str go with the reg or demon axe, they're both much better choices. stone axe while awesome is so underwhelming considering how much it weights and the requirements for it, I love the regular greataxe, just as strong as the demon one and much lighter. if you're never gonna use havel's shield then take str down to 46 and get 40 end, you will need as much as possible but never go above 40 end since the returns are so bad. if it helps this is my build http://mmdks.com/21c9

I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.
    xenon_nobelium
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by xenon_nobelium on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:16 pm

http://mmdks.com/1lyh still advertising my favorite build, quickroll+76poise whith good hp and awesome weapon combinations for backup:
    man serpent sword + grass crest shield
    butcherknife + grass crest shield
    pickaxe + offhand heavy crossbow + grass crest shield
    hand axe + offhand dragon bone fist + grass crest shield

here's the perversly strong mid roll setup: http://mmdks.com/21cb
    power within when getting ganked or for pve
    greataxes are all pretty much useless sadly

Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:42 pm

the greataxe and demon greataxe are some of the best weapons for pve imo but that's just my playstyle.

I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.
    badhealthcare
    Casual
    Casual

Post by badhealthcare on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:59 pm

What would you recommend in place of the great axe
    other than the deamon great axe?
    I've been lookin around and people seem to gripe about
    the former. Im not all that fond of the large club, I've
    used it before and the moveset felt weird even after
    using it for a while, dat RT/R2. Also how valuable is
    fast rolling with a str build?
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:08 pm

fast rolling is the best way to use the great clubs imo, the ground pound will be much faster as oppose to med or fat roll which can get you bss'ed while you're about to do it, also remember to always lock off. try the msgs, butcher knife, the small clubs(mace and reinforced club).

badhealthcare
    Casual
    Casual

Post by badhealthcare on Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:05 pm

okay, I've changed some stuff around on rant's build.
    What do you think of this one?

http://mmdks.com/21dy
    DemonOfFate
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by DemonOfFate on Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:40 pm

Mid rolling isn't as bad as people make it out to be, i'd say do something like this. http://mmdks.com/21e8

The reason i use mid roll, is because i like to have backup weapons that pack a punch. The mace is perfect for that because when your opponent has LOW hp, then switch over to that mace to finish him off. Besides, we can all admit that you generally look way cooler mid rolling then trying to make a build fast roll. Shrug

This is coming from a STR only guy, never get 73 poise, it dulls your skills. Because then you can tank anything, so you lose all skills in dodging and caution. Change up your weapons constantly between invasions, because you need to find out what weapon type fits you the best.

Me myself i like all STR weapons, as such i change it up every time i invade. Oh and i don't use PYRO on mine, i prefer the good 'ol bow. And don't forget, when mid rolling your gonna have to get used to it by using it for about a month, but i have a high feeling that once you learns the In's and Out's you'll love it. Also, most black knight weapons are very good for Str builds, i even use the halberd on mine, it is still a beast even if i'm not on a quality build.

One thing that will come in handy is learning how to Dead angle, most greatswords are great for this, because the running 2hand R1 is awesome. the largeclub is also good at dead angling, but you have to be careful cause you can get bssed easy trying to spam that r2 attack.

Anyways, i felt the need to comment on here because not many people make threads asking for help on str builds. Though feel free to go with that build you made, it looks solid enough, but you will be limited in the str weapons you can use.

Leader Of Those Of Cursed Blood.
    Insanity member.

Come and join your brothers and sisters to regain the life you once knew. http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t21309-those-of-cursed-blood-revived-and-looking-for-members
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:15 pm

why would 40 str be limited on the str weapons he can use? the other weapons are not that much better and are basically the same as the other lighter weapons, the little extra damage is not worth all that weight imo, I have been using str weapons since day one and that build is the one that has gotten me the most wins, mid roll is viable but if you go up against someone that's decent he will take advantage of it and you will probably lose, I say med roll when you go up against people that are not that good(the forest is the perfect example, both gankers and it hurts me to say it but most catbros are pretty bad too). he can always witch to the favor ring and wolf ring combo or favor havel and mid roll and have much better armor so he can take one more hit, the whole back up weapons is a bad idea for a str build imo since you already have a heavy weapon and you need as much spare weigh as you can for better armor, its better to menu swap.

DemonOfFate
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by DemonOfFate on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:53 pm

Well, i have played against decent players and beat them with this build. while yes you could fast roll and have an advantage, you won't be able to use the heavier weapons, which are what i prefer. So if you like the lighter str weapons, then of course you should be fast rolling, but for heavier weapons, i feel mid roll is fine.

People rely to much on the I frames in fast roll, so i hope they cut those down in dark souls 2 so we can even the playing filed a little bit. Also, are you even using those heavier weapons right? You are supposed to dead angle with them or they are useless, and they are perfect to dead angle with.

Insanity member.

Come and join your brothers and sisters to regain the life you once knew. http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t21309-those-of-cursed-blood-revived-and-looking-for-members
    kazumoshi
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by kazumoshi on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:00 pm

DemonOfFate wrote: Well, i have played against decent players and beat them with this build. while yes you could fast roll and have an advantage, you won't be able to use the heavier weapons, which are what i prefer. So if you like the lighter str weapons, then of course you should be fast rolling, but for heavier weapons, i feel mid roll is fine.

People rely to much on the I frames in fast roll, so i hope they cut those down in dark souls 2 so we can even the playing filed a little bit. Also, are you even using those heavier weapons right? You are supposed to dead angle with them or they are useless, and they are perfect to dead angle with.

While I do agree with you, I wouldn't discredit Rant's ability to use strength weapons. He's been using them with a fair amount of prowess since practically release.

Your stance on midroll I agree on. Midroll is totally fine- provided your build can support itself without that speed and agility.

Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by DemonOfFate on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:10 pm

I wasn't trying to discredit him, i'm sure he has used all the str weapons at one point or another. But since he prefers fast roll, there's a chance he hasn't used the heavier weapons a'lot. Hope i didn't offend you rant. Also regarding the back up weapon, this isn't really true imo. Because armor stops becoming useful after about 350 defense, so yeah getting that armor up to 375 won't do much.

Overall it comes down to preference, i prefer mid roll, you prefer fast, that's all it comes down to. It's up to bad to decide which one he prefers. Because with all things dark souls related, there is no "Best" unlike other games.

Insanity member.

RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:21 pm

DemonOfFate wrote: Well, i have played against decent players and beat them with this build. while yes you could fast roll and have an advantage, you won't be able to use the heavier weapons, which are what i prefer. So if you like the lighter str weapons, then of course you should be fast rolling, but for heavier weapons, i feel mid roll is fine.

I never argued about how much better fast roll is than med roll, I even told the op that he had the option of going with fast roll if he wanted to try it which im fine but there's some weapons that it just doesn't work with, the large clubs are the ony ones that are really hard to use with fat roll since all your opponent is only gonna roll bs you. after using all the str weapons the heavier weapons are not worth it because they're not significantly stronger than the lighter one and by lighter ones I don't mean the msgs, I meant to compare the large/great club against the DGH and smough's hammer, or the greataxe vs the DGA, they're so much heavier and not much stronger(specially smough's and the DGH, its rediculous)

the greataxe vs the DGA is kinda the same, yeah it might be bigger and stronger but not much to warrant the weigh which is almost double, yes you can dead angle but a decent player might fall for it once but not twice, you are gonna get roll bs'ed a lot even if you try to dead angle since i do it al the time and people do it to me too. i know the r2 of the dga is awesome for dead angling but it is also very slow and chances are you will get bs'ed. but really all of thi depends on your opponent's ability but dont expect to go to the burg and win all the time since that's what everyoen in there does, nothing but roll bs.

DemonOfFate
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by DemonOfFate on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:29 pm

To that i agree, some weapons that have the same stats as other weapons but weigh 12 more pounds are just stupid and aren't worth it if there's a way you can fast roll, then by all means fast roll. And regarding the roll bs, god do i hate people who ONLY roll bs, they are very boring to fight.

And i'm thinking of making a quality build, and i'm wondering if you could shoot me out some good armor combinations that keep me in the fast roll range and don't look to bad. Intended weapons: Halberds, Greatswords, possibly the zweihander since its a quality weapon of sorts, and spears/ straight swords.

Insanity member.

RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:42 pm

DemonOfFate wrote: I wasn't trying to discredit him, i'm sure he has used all the str weapons at one point or another. But since he prefers fast roll, there's a chance he hasn't used the heavier weapons a'lot. Hope i didn't offend you rant. Also regarding the back up weapon, this isn't really true imo. Because armor stops becoming useful after about 350 defense, so yeah getting that armor up to 375 won't do much.

Overall it comes down to preference, i prefer mid roll, you prefer fast, that's all it comes down to. It's up to bad to decide which one he prefers. Because with all things dark souls related, there is no "Best" unlike other games.

by armor I meant poise since you need as much as you can with str weapons and no I don't care since these are all just opinions and really don't matter in the end(except to the op lol)
    in regards to the quality build it depends on your idea of cooll looking really but this is my quality build and what it uses http://mmdks.com/21h5 most of my armor combos involve hard leather/brigand/cleric(looks awesome on slim body with tight leggings) armor, the rest in changes between knight, balder or brass leggings and gauntlets.

edit; everthing changes depending on the weapons im using.

DemonOfFate
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by DemonOfFate on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:49 pm

Thanks mate, and regarding poise, while i do agree that getting 73 poise would be the best choice, i honestly don't like knowing that i can tank every single weapon in the game, i feel it dulls my senses.

Insanity member.

RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT on Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:10 am

I just don't like getting stunned in the middle of my attack by a damn rapier, its just so dumb, even if you dodge your poise bar goes down which kinda sucks. I actually have been going no poise which really sucks when you go up against someone with kirk's armor.

DemonOfFate
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by DemonOfFate on Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:22 am

RantFromRant wrote:I just don't like getting stunned in the middle of my attack by a damn rapier, its just so dumb, even if you dodge your poise bar goes down which kinda sucks. I actually have been going no poise which really sucks when you go up against someone with kirk's armor.

I know that feel bro, i made a no poise character once, some people literally changed to kirks armor in the middle of a match or something and it all went downhill from there...

Insanity member.

Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports on Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:03 am

Someone please tell me why they nerfed the BKGA R1s so hard? Thing swings as slow as they come and I regularly hit harder with random dex weapon A
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville on Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:08 am

Jansports wrote:Someone please tell me why they nerfed the BKGA R1s so hard? Thing swings as slow as they come and I regularly hit harder with random dex weapon A
    Because the hornet stab on it was doing like 1.6k damage.

Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports on Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:43 am

That has NOTHING to do with my R1s The thing has huge AR and really akwardly low modifiers every other weapon I can get to similar AR as the BKGA does a noticable chunk more damage than it with it's R1 attacks
    xenon_nobelium
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by xenon_nobelium on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:30 am

rantfromrant: you're the most insightful player i met yet regarding str builds, so everybody listen to this guy! since you brought up the topic of fast rolling large clubs getting roll BSd...try the ghost blade as a offhand weapon once. doesn't work against a perfect roll BS punish but a quick L1 will cancel soo many BS attempts it's ridiculus. just when i started implementing this beautiful weapon in my playstyle the strong guy became really viable.
    demonoffate: 76poise with wolf ring gives you the beautiful perk to switch the wolf ring to any ring you deem beneficial once you saw what loadout your opponent carried. steelplate, red tear, dwg, leo(for the pickaxe+crossbow setup)... all while maintaining a healthy (though minimal) poise.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:59 am