Easiest method to activate Power Withtin and prevent death?

    Share
    avatar
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1131
    Reputation : 49
    Join date : 2012-10-16
    Location : Somewhere in Asia

    Easiest method to activate Power Withtin and prevent death?

    Post by Automancer on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:52 am

    Question in the title.
    And another thing is i heard that PW reduces your vitality based on certain percentage and not by a fixed value.
    I once saw a vid on some forest hunter using PW and RTSR but never died.

    Is that true?


    _________________
    !Dual-wielder all the way!
    PSN: bluebee898
    http://www.haouform.deviantart.com (Come visit and have fun!)
    avatar
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1272
    Reputation : 48
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Location : Limbo

    Re: Easiest method to activate Power Withtin and prevent death?

    Post by ErrJon6661 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:58 am

    The lingering dragoncrest ring is the only way to lower the hp drain effect and it also lengthens the duration of the buff.

    http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Power+Within


    _________________
    :suspect:


    Also visit the newbie page and don't be afraid to message me if you're new and need some advice. http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/New+Player+Help

    Duel Wielding Velka's Rapier http://tinyurl.com/73jfhgd
    avatar
    Stonedtrooper
    Newbie
    Newbie

    Posts : 26
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2012-02-19

    Re: Easiest method to activate Power Withtin and prevent death?

    Post by Stonedtrooper on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:26 am

    Fastest way to activate PW would be Symbol of Avarice/Dung Pie.


    I remember seeing a sl1 playthrough with a permanent PW+RTSR combo too.
    My guess is that because PW drains health by percentage, you can completely negate the health drain if either your vitality/max hp is super low (maybe like 600hp or less?) or using a combination of Lingering Dragoncrest and low max hp with a form of health regen (maybe sanctus?).


    _________________
    PSN ID: Maebara_K1

    Melee only, no shield/parry/bs dual-wielder
    Spoiler:
    avatar
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 961
    Reputation : 48
    Join date : 2012-12-09
    Age : 25

    Re: Easiest method to activate Power Withtin and prevent death?

    Post by Saturday-Saint on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:47 am

    Automancer wrote:Question in the title.
    And another thing is i heard that PW reduces your vitality based on certain percentage and not by a fixed value.
    I once saw a vid on some forest hunter using PW and RTSR but never died.

    Is that true?
    That works in older versions of the game. They fixed it in either 1.05 or 1.06, I can't remember which. I think 1.06. It worked by stacking curse until you had 100 HP, then wearing sanctus. It'd drain 1 HP per second while Sanctus regenerated 1 HP per second, balancing it out.


    _________________
    Joking aside.
    avatar
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

    Posts : 9377
    Reputation : 134
    Join date : 2013-03-09
    Age : 20
    Location : Gensōkyō

    Re: Easiest method to activate Power Withtin and prevent death?

    Post by Dibsville on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:57 am

    ErrJon6661 wrote:The lingering dragoncrest ring is the only way to lower the hp drain effect and it also lengthens the duration of the buff.

    http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Power+Within
    It drains 1% of your health per second.
    Adding Lingering does not lower the drainage, it only gives it 120 seconds instead of 100 seconds.
    The HP drain always rounds down, no mater how high the number is.
    For example, if you have 799HP, it will drain 7HP per second, leaving you with 99HP once the buff is over.
    Lingering just gives it 20 extra seconds, so it would drain 140 more, adding up to 840HP loss, effectively killing you as compared to teh once harmless spell.
    There is no way to negate any damage to you, although you can slow it down via Sanctus.


    _________________
    PSN: Dibsville
    The Exiled of Ariamis; join the cause!
    EarthScraper wrote:OK, now I've just learnt that you never mess with Dibs on a Dark Souls topic, cause he will put you down.
    avatar
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1131
    Reputation : 49
    Join date : 2012-10-16
    Location : Somewhere in Asia

    Re: Easiest method to activate Power Withtin and prevent death?

    Post by Automancer on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:08 am

    Saturday-Saint wrote:
    Automancer wrote:Question in the title.
    And another thing is i heard that PW reduces your vitality based on certain percentage and not by a fixed value.
    I once saw a vid on some forest hunter using PW and RTSR but never died.

    Is that true?
    That works in older versions of the game. They fixed it in either 1.05 or 1.06, I can't remember which. I think 1.06. It worked by stacking curse until you had 100 HP, then wearing sanctus. It'd drain 1 HP per second while Sanctus regenerated 1 HP per second, balancing it out.

    Will you still get the regen without the 18 Faith requirement?


    _________________
    !Dual-wielder all the way!
    PSN: bluebee898
    http://www.haouform.deviantart.com (Come visit and have fun!)
    avatar
    FinPeku
    Chat Moderator

    Posts : 848
    Reputation : 94
    Join date : 2012-03-23
    Age : 26
    Location : Finland

    Re: Easiest method to activate Power Withtin and prevent death?

    Post by FinPeku on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:12 am

    I'm pretty sure you can still do it by stacking curse and dusk crown ring.


    _________________
    “Soul of the mind, Key to lifes ether….
    Soul of the lost, Withdrawn from it’s vessel….
    Let strength be grant, So the world might be mended….
    So the world might be mended…”
    avatar
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1131
    Reputation : 49
    Join date : 2012-10-16
    Location : Somewhere in Asia

    Re: Easiest method to activate Power Withtin and prevent death?

    Post by Automancer on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:25 am

    FinPeku wrote:I'm pretty sure you can still do it by stacking curse and dusk crown ring.

    Let's say if i had 594hp, if i were to use the Dusk Crown Ring, it would automatically out me into RTS range?


    _________________
    !Dual-wielder all the way!
    PSN: bluebee898
    http://www.haouform.deviantart.com (Come visit and have fun!)
    avatar
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

    Posts : 9377
    Reputation : 134
    Join date : 2013-03-09
    Age : 20
    Location : Gensōkyō

    Re: Easiest method to activate Power Withtin and prevent death?

    Post by Dibsville on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:28 am

    If you halve your HP, your new HP total has to be at 20% as well.
    If you have 1000HP max, and your current HP is 200 for RTS, and you halve it to 500, you need to have 100HP in order to be in RTS, not 200.
    So Dusk Crown is only good for getting you closer to RTS, not putting you in it.


    _________________
    PSN: Dibsville
    The Exiled of Ariamis; join the cause!
    EarthScraper wrote:OK, now I've just learnt that you never mess with Dibs on a Dark Souls topic, cause he will put you down.
    avatar
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1131
    Reputation : 49
    Join date : 2012-10-16
    Location : Somewhere in Asia

    Re: Easiest method to activate Power Withtin and prevent death?

    Post by Automancer on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:34 am

    Dibsville wrote:If you halve your HP, your new HP total has to be at 20% as well.
    If you have 1000HP max, and your current HP is 200 for RTS, and you halve it to 500, you need to have 100HP in order to be in RTS, not 200.
    So Dusk Crown is only good for getting you closer to RTS, not putting you in it.

    So looks like i will still require PW and Sanctus. Thanks.


    _________________
    !Dual-wielder all the way!
    PSN: bluebee898
    http://www.haouform.deviantart.com (Come visit and have fun!)
    avatar
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1131
    Reputation : 49
    Join date : 2012-10-16
    Location : Somewhere in Asia

    Re: Easiest method to activate Power Withtin and prevent death?

    Post by Automancer on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:48 am

    Quick question.

    If i use the Dusk Crown and lower my hp to 20%, will i still retain that same 20% after i unequip the ring?


    _________________
    !Dual-wielder all the way!
    PSN: bluebee898
    http://www.haouform.deviantart.com (Come visit and have fun!)
    avatar
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

    Posts : 9377
    Reputation : 134
    Join date : 2013-03-09
    Age : 20
    Location : Gensōkyō

    Re: Easiest method to activate Power Withtin and prevent death?

    Post by Dibsville on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:50 am

    You can not lower your HP to 20%, it will stop at 50%. If you're already under 50%, it will just stay where it is.


    _________________
    PSN: Dibsville
    The Exiled of Ariamis; join the cause!
    EarthScraper wrote:OK, now I've just learnt that you never mess with Dibs on a Dark Souls topic, cause he will put you down.
    avatar
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1131
    Reputation : 49
    Join date : 2012-10-16
    Location : Somewhere in Asia

    Re: Easiest method to activate Power Withtin and prevent death?

    Post by Automancer on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:52 am

    So even if i had lowered my hp to around 20% after i equipped the Dusk Crown Ring, if i remove it, the hp will just rest back to 50?


    _________________
    !Dual-wielder all the way!
    PSN: bluebee898
    http://www.haouform.deviantart.com (Come visit and have fun!)
    avatar
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

    Posts : 9377
    Reputation : 134
    Join date : 2013-03-09
    Age : 20
    Location : Gensōkyō

    Re: Easiest method to activate Power Withtin and prevent death?

    Post by Dibsville on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:55 am

    Your HP will not go up. If it did, that would just make it an infinite HP exploit.
    When you put on Dusk Ring, your HP is cut to 50%. If it is already there or lower, it will not be effected.
    Taking off the ring simply allows you to go above 50% again.
    Imagine a controllable curse, and you've got the Dusk Crown Ring.


    _________________
    PSN: Dibsville
    The Exiled of Ariamis; join the cause!
    EarthScraper wrote:OK, now I've just learnt that you never mess with Dibs on a Dark Souls topic, cause he will put you down.
    avatar
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 490
    Reputation : 44
    Join date : 2013-03-15
    Age : 24

    Re: Easiest method to activate Power Withtin and prevent death?

    Post by Elifia on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:40 am

    Dibsville wrote:
    ErrJon6661 wrote:The lingering dragoncrest ring is the only way to lower the hp drain effect and it also lengthens the duration of the buff.

    http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Power+Within
    It drains 1% of your health per second.
    Adding Lingering does not lower the drainage, it only gives it 120 seconds instead of 100 seconds.
    The HP drain always rounds down, no mater how high the number is.
    For example, if you have 799HP, it will drain 7HP per second, leaving you with 99HP once the buff is over.
    Lingering just gives it 20 extra seconds, so it would drain 140 more, adding up to 840HP loss, effectively killing you as compared to teh once harmless spell.
    There is no way to negate any damage to you, although you can slow it down via Sanctus.

    Objection! Lingering Dragoncrest DOES decrease the damage, both the damage per second and the total damage! It causes the damage 1% damage to happen with more time between each tick, and also reduces the amount of ticks. Regular PW ticks 101 times, extended PW only ticks 99 times. I tested it with 1500 hp. Regular PW killed me, extended PW left me with 15 hp.

    Edit: Also, Lingering extends by 50%, not 20%


    _________________
    PSN: Elifia, Elifialt
    I'm back from being gone!

    Sponsored content

    Re: Easiest method to activate Power Withtin and prevent death?

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:20 pm