Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+43
DS_Dene
kazumoshi
Scaredbyowls
Marino.
Shaloka
SlothAlmighty
CallMeTiff
Conrack
ErrJon6661
ClassicBlaze
Ichikuro
FirstOfTheDead
Dibsville
benny-the-jew
EverlastingRat
Serious_Much
>Brave<
nsane32
SadPanda
Rayko
Shkar
steveswede
Frank_White
MosquitoPower
Animaaal
R3dlace
raecor14
Hue
Halicarnassis
Forum Pirate
Werdax
DE5PA1R
Myztyrio
mr_no_face
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
GrinTwist
Tchuwib
Tolvo
Soris Ice Goldwing
DemonOfFate
Slarg232
User1
Dubscythe
47 posters

I want a cape equipment slot in Dark Souls II

Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

I want a cape equipment slot in Dark Souls II - Page 2 Empty Re: I want a cape equipment slot in Dark Souls II

Post by Forum Pirate Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:27 am

Notice I said weapons and armor

Why? The cape still serves no purpose, and its still a liability up close. A cloak to keep materials dry or keep the rain out of their eyes so they can see, maybe.
    mr_no_face
    mr_no_face
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

I want a cape equipment slot in Dark Souls II - Page 2 Empty Re: I want a cape equipment slot in Dark Souls II

Post by mr_no_face Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:32 am

a cape is essentially a blanket or a tarp it can be used in the cold and the rain. seeing as how their are snowing areas i don't see why not
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:59 am

Thats a cloak. They wrap all the way around the body with ties or buttons, and are often hooded. They can have pockets.

Darth vader and super man wear capes. They have no purpose except status symbols for ancient rich people. Arogorn wears a cloak. Its protection from weather.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:13 am

A cloak is also probably not something you want to wear with full body armor, since you are basically going to cook yourself underneath and probably suffer a heat stroke unless in extremely cold conditions.
    mr_no_face
    mr_no_face
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by mr_no_face Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:20 am

ok guys ... the day they add a fatigue and a heat stroke status is the day we can completely rule out capes and cloaks. Cloaks are often misinterpreted as capes and its probably why were aren't on the same page i probably have a misconstrued interpretation of capes so as long as cloaks have a special place in this game its whatever
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:23 am

I just like things to be as authentic as possible, and to me Dark Souls provides a very authentic experience with its armor and weaponry. ( Damn estoc )

However this sort of thing would probably pull me out of my immersion in the game world, seeing knights wearing cloaks/capes going into combat with them, since while it would look cool such gear could get you *** killed.

Dark Souls to me isn't about just looking cool, being heroic, or having a LOTR experience. If I want that experience, I'll play a LOTR game or Elder Scrolls game like Skyrim.

Dark Souls is more so about just being practical, about things not being pretty with a very authentic depiction of gear.
    Hue
    Hue
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Hue Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:59 am

I prefer cloaks, with an eventual hood (that you can put on or off)
    Halicarnassis
    Halicarnassis
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Halicarnassis Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:14 am

Lol! I love the squabbling over cape and cloak!
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:25 am

way to make this viable have a choice capes or shield on back. capes have added magic defense shields physical. capes can also have magical bonus EG stamina regen where as shields add to poise.
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:18 am

Tolvo wrote:I just like things to be as authentic as possible, and to me Dark Souls provides a very authentic experience with its armor and weaponry. ( Damn estoc )

However this sort of thing would probably pull me out of my immersion in the game world, seeing knights wearing cloaks/capes going into combat with them, since while it would look cool such gear could get you *** killed.

Dark Souls to me isn't about just looking cool, being heroic, or having a LOTR experience. If I want that experience, I'll play a LOTR game or Elder Scrolls game like Skyrim.

Dark Souls is more so about just being practical, about things not being pretty with a very authentic depiction of gear.

I can understand your point, but to say that Dark Souls is practical and authentic with the gear available is kind of silly:

Is Smoughs armor with his diamond nipples practical?

Is the Mimic head practical?

Is Havel's set practical?

What about the Boar Head?

How about those guys that run like olympic sprinters in heavy armor?

All those one ton hammers are super practical as well!

I honestly made this as sort of a joke topic, I don't actually CARE if there are capes or not in the game. But if capes are something that will absolutely destroy your immersion when there are already things 10x more ridiculous in the game? I'm not really sure what to say.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:47 am

Honestly those other things don't ruin my immersion at all. They're very gimmicky of course but those are just things put in because you can see enemies using them. As well you aren't supposed to be able to run at high speeds in heavy armor unless you set up your stats specifically for it.

Large weapons don't both me as much as everyone running around in capes/cloaks would. Now I do think the weapons should be sized down but capes/cloaks bother me more.
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:58 am

Tolvo wrote:Honestly those other things don't ruin my immersion at all. They're very gimmicky of course but those are just things put in because you can see enemies using them. As well you aren't supposed to be able to run at high speeds in heavy armor unless you set up your stats specifically for it.

Large weapons don't both me as much as everyone running around in capes/cloaks would. Now I do think the weapons should be sized down but capes/cloaks bother me more.

Whatever floats your boat man.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:48 pm

Well to put it simply, rings are generally worn because they are practical, helms and such are worn because they are practical. If a cape takes up a slot and has any sort of effect, suddenly it can become practical to wear a cape over going without one.

Large weapons look goofy but you can use small fast weapons, spears, normal greatswords, axes, etc.

In regards to capes, if they take up the same use as a ring slot nearly everyone will be wearing one and will thus make the game look about as ridiculous as it was during the time of DWGR for 50% or under.

This extends to cloaks.
    R3dlace
    R3dlace
    Casual
    Casual

Post by R3dlace Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:11 pm

So some people are for and some are against ; Nothing new here, that's how most discussions work.

But to be part of this squabble, someone mentioned how it could be only "set-related" as in linked to another part of the armor. Kinda like how the thief helmet has a hoodie that you can't take off or the gold-hemmed set that has no shoes. It's part of the deal, take it or leave it.

But I do think there should not be a whole slot dedicated to it. Maybe an accessory slot, where you could choose from pendants, cloaks or even gorgets (armor designed to protect throat). I always felt that pendants were missing anyways.

Get it? Nevermind.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:15 pm

Werdax wrote:

$#%@!!!

The only reason I read the posts to was to see if someone posted this....you beat me to it. IMAGINARY +1!!! cheers

***edit***

I thought this was "off-topic" for some reason...FOR REAL +1!!! cheers

***edit2***

I'm actually completely impartial capes. If it gives another armor slot and adds depth, then fine.
    MosquitoPower
    MosquitoPower
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MosquitoPower Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:51 am

Wow that's some intense debate on capes!

As a mega nerd I want in game options setting to be unlockable on equipment.
    So when I click on the armor items I see a list like this:

Visor: Up/Down
    Metal: Dark/Light/Neutral/Gold
    Cape: On/Off/Ripped
    Trim Color: Red/Orange/Yellow/Green/Blue/Purpil
    Emblem: Darkwrath/Gravelord/etc....
    Myztyrio
    Myztyrio
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Myztyrio Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:17 am

DE5PA1R wrote:Humbug. This is Dark Souls.

You are not cool. Nor are you faux-cool, pretend-epic, psuedo-legendary or any of that other nonsense you'd see in the trailers for lesser games.

This exactly. Now quit your whining, and don't ruin what will be the best game made to its day (:
    Frank_White
    Frank_White
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Frank_White Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:17 am

RenegadeCop wrote:We need long, flowing capes, with gorgeous air physics which make them float around in a heroic manner.

Those are in. But there is no cape slot, they belong to certain chest piece armors. Just look at one of the screenshots of the player standing on a balcony in the Mansion of the Dragons. He has a long black cape all the way down to the ground from the shoulders.
    Frank_White
    Frank_White
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Frank_White Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:25 am

To all the people complaining about capes, they're already confirmed to be in. Can't find the thread with the screenshots right now, but one of them includes the player wearing the Chariot guys armor set, which includes a long black cape.
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:53 am

MosquitoPower wrote:Wow that's some intense debate on capes!

As a mega nerd I want in game options setting to be unlockable on equipment.
    So when I click on the armor items I see a list like this:

Visor: Up/Down
    Metal: Dark/Light/Neutral/Gold
    Cape: On/Off/Ripped
    Trim Color: Red/Orange/Yellow/Green/Blue/Purpil
    Emblem: Darkwrath/Gravelord/etc....

You are the only one that actually put some thought into applying this to the current system. It would be a lot better though if you could pick your colours from a full colour palette.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:33 pm

Technically Tolvo, a cloak could actually help some. Sun shining directly on a full suit of metal armor on a warm day? No thanks.
    DE5PA1R
    DE5PA1R
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by DE5PA1R Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:35 pm

Frank_White wrote:To all the people complaining about capes, they're already confirmed to be in.

No.
    Rayko
    Rayko

Post by Rayko Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:00 pm

DE5PA1R wrote:
    No.
    Even if yes, what's the point of the argument? Well, as we don't have to wear boar helmets or symbol of avarice in DkS, we won't have to wear any capes, ribbons, robes or anything else /or the armor at all as well.../. I just can't see the harm that additional clothing brings.I want a cape equipment slot in Dark Souls II - Page 2 3358384175
    Frank_White
    Frank_White
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Frank_White Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:08 pm

DE5PA1R wrote:
    Frank_White wrote:To all the people complaining about capes, they're already confirmed to be in.

No.

Yes. The screenshot proves it, a player wearing a long black cape. How can you argue against that? Because you like to argue against everything.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:08 pm

If it's on a few sets of armor I'm fine, the Silver Knight armor is a good example of that.

If it is a slot however, similar to rings, in most cases you will then want to wear a cape for its stats. Or a cloak. Rings don't effect the appearance of characters, and even if they did they are a very minor detail. Similar to a necklace, a necklace slot I wouldn't mind since if it was visible it would not be noticeably so. A cape though, everyone running around in capes? It'll make Dark Souls feel like World of Warcraft, or a game involving superheroes.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:47 am