Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
LunarFog
Forum Pirate
Jansports
jimmyc0341
8 posters

Spear/Pike/Halberd defense

jimmyc0341
    jimmyc0341
    Addicted
    Addicted

Spear/Pike/Halberd defense Empty Spear/Pike/Halberd defense

Post by jimmyc0341 Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:24 pm

Just a quick question to all you veteran PvPers, WHat's the best way to defend/attack someone who is wielding a spear/pike/halberd? I have trouble against these long range weapons especially when they can turtle and attack at the same time
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Spear/Pike/Halberd defense Empty Re: Spear/Pike/Halberd defense

Post by Jansports Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:45 pm

Use a bow to out range them and make them come to you. Getting close enough to parry is really good, since a lot of the poking happens in quick successive hits. Be really patient. Roll through their attacks towards them, don't always but sometimes do rolling attack.

If you do a search there are some threads about this topic that have much more imformative posts than mine
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:46 pm

Kite them with a bow/magic.

Refuse to engage. When they move forward there's a good chance they're going to attack, so roll in or run forward and parry.

If they start kicking to stop that, roll bs instead. If they try bsing to stop it, counter bs.

This changes with the great scythe somewhat, mostly because of the running r1. You can strafe around it to bs if they're locked on, but don't expect that to work against better users.
    jimmyc0341
    jimmyc0341
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by jimmyc0341 Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:50 pm

They always seem to get me, i'm not the best PvPer but I'm decent enough to hold my own except when it comes to those types of weapons and most of the time they're using havel's shield or the Tower kite Shield and their defense is phenomenal.Thanks for the heads up about othe rthreads Jansports. i completely forgot to use the search function for this topic
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:54 pm

As a veteran spear user let me share my advice from personal experience as both the turtler, and the person fighting the turtler.

First off, halberds can't block and attack at thee same time.

Secondly, an easy way to deal with turtlers is to keep your shield up and start circling around them to bs. The biggest disadvantage of poking behind a shield is that your character stays in place. In other words, your character doesn't follow a moving enemy like it would normally do. Not only does tracking go away, but the spear thrust becomes slower and it's recovery time increases.

Circle around to your right(or his shield arm) and the attack might not even hit you.

Also note that a little bit more stamina is consumed by block-poking. If you can bait them into poking you 3 or 4 times by standing still, then you can be that they have almost zero stamina left and you should be able to break their guard.
    CrackSouls
    CrackSouls
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by CrackSouls Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:05 pm

LunarFog said pretty much everything I had to say and more. Go with that.
    If you are going to parry them as ForumPirate suggests: the closer you are to spear users the better, I find. If you try to parry the tip of their poking reach it tends to not work.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:56 pm

Yes, parrying spears at the edge of their range borders on impossible. Even the AI parry stances can't do it.
    testspecimen85
    testspecimen85
    Casual
    Casual

Post by testspecimen85 Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:58 pm

Forum Pirate's advise is what I've been doing since the VIT gouge/Spear builds became all the rage. It works for me a majority of the time.

Regarding what Lunarfrog suggested: I never use a shield. Ever. Would blocking with a two-handed strength weapon and circling as my opponent pokes from behind a shield yield similar results?
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:02 pm

It would if they're attacking from behind the shield, as it roots them in place, otherwise no, they'll roll away, kick or counter bs you.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:05 pm

testspecimen85 wrote:Forum Pirate's advise is what I've been doing since the VIT gouge/Spear builds became all the rage. It works for me a majority of the time.

Regarding what Lunarfrog suggested: I never use a shield. Ever. Would blocking with a two-handed strength weapon and circling as my opponent pokes from behind a shield yield similar results?
    I'm not sure about that. It might be better to just try and dodge to the side and circle around him like that.

Just dodge around til he pokes 3 or 4 times and then attack when he's low on stamina
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:09 pm

Well, i suppose it depends. A 2 handed reinforced club? probably not. A 2 handed dgm, probably. You'll take chip damage
    Zeta Prime
    Zeta Prime
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zeta Prime Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:38 pm

There is only one sure counter and answer to all problems in the world: Karate.
    testspecimen85
    testspecimen85
    Casual
    Casual

Post by testspecimen85 Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:58 pm

LunarFog wrote:
    testspecimen85 wrote:Forum Pirate's advise is what I've been doing since the VIT gouge/Spear builds became all the rage. It works for me a majority of the time.

I'm not sure about that. It might be better to just try and dodge to the side and circle around him like that.

Just dodge around til he pokes 3 or 4 times and then attack when he's low on stamina

Yeah, that works for me sometimes. The spear users who kill me are the ones who know that's coming and roll out of harm's way as I start to position/attack.

I wonder if I have to just play more with spears. I've only really used ornstein's, and that was just messing around in the garden as a sunbro back in the day. If I get beaten using a spear, then maybe I'll have a better picture of how it's done right.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:04 am

A bow can put pressure on them, and poison will make them slip up.
    A Halberd user is extremely easy to parry, as although they have long reach, they'd rather stay somewhat medium range to make sure they hit, as a whiff can be fatal.
    Any sort of spear user can be countered by simply guarding, if they have a buffed spear or split damage spear, you can roll around. Eventually they'll just start fishing for BS' and you can easily dead angle them to death, no matter what your weapon is. I've killed plenty of spear users using a Rapier, even without turtling.
    jimmyc0341
    jimmyc0341
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by jimmyc0341 Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:47 am

The Pikes,Demon Spear,and Silver Knight spear are the ones i most have trouble w/and sometimes I take chip damage from the Demon Spear It just seems like they have crazy reach and when i try to circle they sometimes get me pretty good. I've tried forward rolling when they attack and have been punished for it...severely. I might try the bow and poison and arrows since my character doesn't have good INT for spells but that reach...it's a killer for me
    jimmyc0341
    jimmyc0341
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by jimmyc0341 Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:50 am

Btw all your suggestions are awesome and I thank you for it. I seriously need all the help i can get sometimes but everyday I earn something new in dark Souls and it makes me love the game even more

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 pm