Mic Support Poll

    Share

    Poll

    Would you enjoy Mic Support in Dark Soul

    [ 14 ]
    25% [25%] 
    [ 43 ]
    75% [75%] 

    Total Votes: 57
    avatar
    eminusx
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 379
    Reputation : 24
    Join date : 2012-03-07
    Age : 38
    Location : Untidied Kingdom

    Re: Mic Support Poll

    Post by eminusx on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:09 pm

    Why don't you just snap me up now Fromsoft!!!!

    winking


    _________________
    XBL: eminusx
    PSN: eminusx78

    dont open the gates, who the hell needs a wooden horse that size!!!


    Last Be-ta, I gave you my souls, but the very next game, you took them away!!
    This year, to save me from fear, im levelling my Zwei-hander!! WHAM!!!

    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3419
    Reputation : 175
    Join date : 2013-01-17

    Re: Mic Support Poll

    Post by Animaaal on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:48 pm

    mr_no_face wrote:it really isnt an awful game ruining idea but some are just completely non responsive to the thought its not a missile launcher its an option more games could use more options i know most people don't want to " kill the mood" its as simple as going into your options and changing a setting at the very beginning of the game and then never having to worry about it again

    -I'll give you the first one. I didn't mean to sound like it would ruin the game or anything.

    -The second underlined is what I'm unsure about. In some games that have mic support, if you don't have a mic...you get "snobbed". Ya know the whole, "Oh this guy doesn't have a mic!...BOOT HIM!!!".

    Thats all that concerns me. I’m sorry if you feel frustrated.

    vegan666 wrote:...I want to agree with you solely based on the fact you are a pokemon, but I cannot. The PVP and co-op comminuty is still thriving in DS1, 1 and a half years after its release...

    I'm sorry, but I disagree. Pvp is not what I would call "thriving:. Active? Yes. But not thriving imo.

    Tchuwib wrote:...That's just it, if you make it part of the game, people would still expect you to use it. Don't tell me you can't jump in an online shooter and assume every one will be ok with you being silent because you don't want to use mic. I've got kicked out of co-op in DS for less reason...

    I've experienced this as well and completely agree with this point.

    eminusx wrote:Simple solution:
    You have to complete the game once to get the option for mic support in your second playthrough. The first time youre on your own, no choice about it, the second playthrough its off by default but you can switch it on if you like.

    Hows about that then?

    I'm sorry, but I dont think that would work at all. Points for thinking outside the box though.

    Just make Dark Souls 2 more of the same...but better twisted
    avatar
    Zeta Prime
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 454
    Reputation : 7
    Join date : 2012-12-15
    Age : 22
    Location : Iacon Vaults, Trying to delay the inevitable.

    Re: Mic Support Poll

    Post by Zeta Prime on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:58 pm

    I want to agree with you solely based on the fact you are a pokemon, but I cannot. The PVP and co-op comminuty is still thriving in DS1, 1 and a half years after its release.

    i luv u ❤


    _________________
    Zeta's Choice Quote: November:

    "We are not required to save the world. We are required to stand up as truly as we can for what we love."
    avatar
    eminusx
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 379
    Reputation : 24
    Join date : 2012-03-07
    Age : 38
    Location : Untidied Kingdom

    Re: Mic Support Poll

    Post by eminusx on Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:28 am

    Animaaal wrote:

    eminusx wrote:Simple solution:
    You have to complete the game once to get the option for mic support in your second playthrough. The first time youre on your own, no choice about it, the second playthrough its off by default but you can switch it on if you like.

    Hows about that then?

    I'm sorry, but I dont think that would work at all. Points for thinking outside the box though.

    Just make Dark Souls 2 more of the same...but better twisted

    hey fair enough, but why dont you think it would work? what do you think are the main reasons for it failing?


    _________________
    XBL: eminusx
    PSN: eminusx78

    dont open the gates, who the hell needs a wooden horse that size!!!


    Last Be-ta, I gave you my souls, but the very next game, you took them away!!
    This year, to save me from fear, im levelling my Zwei-hander!! WHAM!!!
    avatar
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 243
    Reputation : 9
    Join date : 2012-12-11

    Re: Mic Support Poll

    Post by MasterofShadows on Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:25 pm

    I think a good deal of the problem comes down to the inherent conflicts between consumer products and art pieces. A consumer product is concerned more about the needs and desires of the consumer, and strives to tailor itself to meeting them consistently. Art pieces don't give a damn about your needs or desires, because they are more concerned about communicating or presenting something to the consumer. This type of design philosophy tends to keep art pieces from obtaining mass appeal, due to its uncompromising nature. Dark Souls is both. All AA or AAA games tend to be both. This is where the tension in its game design lies.

    However, anyone here can easily see that Dark Souls, at least in relation to most other games, leans quite heavily towards being an art-piece. It is more concerned about giving the player a very specific type of experience, and tailoring everything in the game towards supporting that design. Yes, it does have to make use of consumer feedback and usability research, due to it being a consumer product, but ultimately, it's an art piece first, and a consumer product second.

    There are not many games that follow this philosophy. They tend to be more on the consumer product side than on the art piece side. This is why Dark Souls is so unique and cherished, and it's one of the keys to its success, in my opinion.

    Adding in mic support will not only cause some of the annoying potential problems that have already been mentioned in this thread, but it will also compromise the core philosophy that's driving the design of the Souls series. There is a very delicate balance here, and you can't just haphazardly throw in features, simply because it's "what the people want". That is not how Namco Bandai sees the Souls games, and we shouldn't see them that way either. I do not think that having Mic support is conducive to the Dark Souls experience. In fact, I think it would be quite regressive.

    Again, no.


    _________________
    "Everyone dies. It is how one lives that matters."
    — Artemis Entreri (R.A. Salvatore)

    "P.S. MAKE NO DEALS WITH THE WOLF." -Durzo Blint-

    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3419
    Reputation : 175
    Join date : 2013-01-17

    Re: Mic Support Poll

    Post by Animaaal on Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:43 pm

    eminusx wrote:
    Animaaal wrote:

    eminusx wrote:Simple solution:
    You have to complete the game once to get the option for mic support in your second playthrough. The first time youre on your own, no choice about it, the second playthrough its off by default but you can switch it on if you like.

    Hows about that then?

    I'm sorry, but I dont think that would work at all. Points for thinking outside the box though.

    Just make Dark Souls 2 more of the same...but better twisted

    hey fair enough, but why dont you think it would work? what do you think are the main reasons for it failing?

    Its not that I think it would ruin the game, I think it would ruin co-op.

    If mic support was added, there would be a plethora of players only using phantoms that had mics. They would summon you, make you check your mic, and then black crystal you (assuming that feature would exist) if you didn't have/use a mic.

    Would everyone do it? No, of course not. But enough people would that the whole "elitist" attitude would compound ten fold.

    Also, it just wouldn'tfeel soulish to me.

    I played DC Universe Online quite a lot. I ran a league and was constantly dealing with egos, bad attitudes, and constant frustration being a leader. Were there fun nights when the "adults" were drinking making fun of each other and falling out of our chairs laughing at each other??? Yes. Were there nights I said, "*** this guys, I'm gonna go play Dark Souls"...plenty...there were plenty of those nights.

    If mic support were to be implemented, I would only use it to talk to people I know, people from this forum, or people I knew were 18, or at least mature enough to not report me for saying ****!!!!!! Damn you Dark Soooooooouls!!!!

    Know what I'm saying?

    ***EDIT***

    Master makes some great points I also agree with.


    Last edited by Animaaal on Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammer)
    avatar
    passivefamiliar
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 443
    Reputation : 14
    Join date : 2012-06-14

    Re: Mic Support Poll

    Post by passivefamiliar on Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:20 pm

    If it is like kill zone, proximity chat...I might like that. But anything beyond it. Nope...just no.

    and..a mute option for players is MUST. WITH EASY ACCESS


    _________________
    PSN id: Passivefamiliar


    pony05  ...why is this here you ask? Its a dark world out there. Thats why.
    avatar
    eminusx
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 379
    Reputation : 24
    Join date : 2012-03-07
    Age : 38
    Location : Untidied Kingdom

    Re: Mic Support Poll

    Post by eminusx on Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:10 pm

    @Animaaal

    yeah youre absolutely right, personally, I dont think it should be in the game at all as per my post on page 3, I think Master did a great job of summing up the reasons why.

    I just thought i'd try and explore if it was possible in any way after so many thought it might be a good idea.

    I think Master said it best:
    Adding in mic support will not only cause some of the annoying potential problems that have already been mentioned in this thread, but it will also compromise the core philosophy that's driving the design of the Souls series. There is a very delicate balance here, and you can't just haphazardly throw in features, simply because it's "what the people want".


    _________________
    XBL: eminusx
    PSN: eminusx78

    dont open the gates, who the hell needs a wooden horse that size!!!


    Last Be-ta, I gave you my souls, but the very next game, you took them away!!
    This year, to save me from fear, im levelling my Zwei-hander!! WHAM!!!
    avatar
    sinspaw
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 102
    Reputation : 15
    Join date : 2012-10-23
    Age : 28
    Location : Huddersfield, UK

    Re: Mic Support Poll

    Post by sinspaw on Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:12 pm

    To me part of what makes souls' multiplayer fun is that it's so anonymous. You feel like it's a total stranger helping you, and that in itself is helped by the fact that you don't hear a 12 year old yelling at the other end, or a guy making scratch noises with his mic. It takes the seriousness of it all I would say.

    I would like to see a way to communicate better though, like an improved interface and response on the gesture system. It would be nice if you could do some gestures whilst running, like follow me or flank them or something.
    avatar
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3181
    Reputation : 231
    Join date : 2012-11-26
    Age : 30
    Location : Mushroom Kingdom

    Re: Mic Support Poll

    Post by Sentiel on Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:34 pm

    The game was made without voice chat support, so I say leave it at that.

    I don't want to hear some kids voice yelling at me for backstabbing him and listening to his bullsh*t. I can get that on CoD, BF, ME3 and...well...most of the recent games. Souls games are a welcome change for me and I'd love to keep it that way.

    Yes, there are situations when one would prefer to talk to the host/phantom, but we still have other means, like messages.
    Slow? Learn patience. It's a key to playing Souls games imho, so it'll come in handy later as well.
    Impractical? Buy keyboard. It's cheaper than headset anyway.
    Use ingame gestures is another option. It's not the best way, but it can be useful.
    Also, I recommend playing Journey. It will teach you a thing, or two about communication without voice chat and messages.

    avatar
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 243
    Reputation : 9
    Join date : 2012-12-11

    Re: Mic Support Poll

    Post by MasterofShadows on Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:36 pm

    Sentiel wrote:
    Also, I recommend playing Journey. It will teach you a thing, or two about communication without voice chat and messages.

    Excellent reference. Journey had no voice chat and it became one of the game's core mechanics. I think that Dark Souls is similar in that regard. Great point.


    _________________
    "Everyone dies. It is how one lives that matters."
    — Artemis Entreri (R.A. Salvatore)

    "P.S. MAKE NO DEALS WITH THE WOLF." -Durzo Blint-
    avatar
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 461
    Reputation : 12
    Join date : 2012-02-02
    Location : Firelink Shrine

    Re: Mic Support Poll

    Post by Oh_the_Humanity on Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:14 pm

    MasterofShadows wrote:I think a good deal of the problem comes down to the inherent conflicts between consumer products and art pieces. A consumer product is concerned more about the needs and desires of the consumer, and strives to tailor itself to meeting them consistently. Art pieces don't give a damn about your needs or desires, because they are more concerned about communicating or presenting something to the consumer. This type of design philosophy tends to keep art pieces from obtaining mass appeal, due to its uncompromising nature. Dark Souls is both. All AA or AAA games tend to be both. This is where the tension in its game design lies.

    However, anyone here can easily see that Dark Souls, at least in relation to most other games, leans quite heavily towards being an art-piece. It is more concerned about giving the player a very specific type of experience, and tailoring everything in the game towards supporting that design. Yes, it does have to make use of consumer feedback and usability research, due to it being a consumer product, but ultimately, it's an art piece first, and a consumer product second.

    There are not many games that follow this philosophy. They tend to be more on the consumer product side than on the art piece side. This is why Dark Souls is so unique and cherished, and it's one of the keys to its success, in my opinion.

    Adding in mic support will not only cause some of the annoying potential problems that have already been mentioned in this thread, but it will also compromise the core philosophy that's driving the design of the Souls series. There is a very delicate balance here, and you can't just haphazardly throw in features, simply because it's "what the people want". That is not how Namco Bandai sees the Souls games, and we shouldn't see them that way either. I do not think that having Mic support is conducive to the Dark Souls experience. In fact, I think it would be quite regressive.

    Again, no.


    Well said, I completely agree with this 100%.


    _________________



    psn name:
    TEST_SUBJECT_83


    ...Go Beyond Death...
    avatar
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1046
    Reputation : 98
    Join date : 2012-05-25
    Age : 24
    Location : Great Britain

    Re: Mic Support Poll

    Post by Onion Knight on Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:45 pm

    I think the poll result answers the question clearly enough. But then again I will be playing offline anyway so it doesn't really bother me.

    Also OP can you please use paragraphs in the future so it is not a wall of text? Thanks.


    _________________
    Steam: OnionKnight
    PSN: Bohemond-Antioch93
    Youtube: Balthier Ivalice
    avatar
    DE5PA1R
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 460
    Reputation : 7
    Join date : 2012-11-26
    Location : Dallas, TX

    Re: Mic Support Poll

    Post by DE5PA1R on Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:10 pm

    Not sure if I believe the consumer piece vs art piece argument - I'd argue that consumers just don't know what they want (ie they think they want mic support but don't know that they don't) - but that's a discussion for another time.


    _________________
    Vids: youtube.com/de5pa1r

    Articles: medium.com/@de5pa1r

    Tweets: twitter.com/de5pa1r
    avatar
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 461
    Reputation : 12
    Join date : 2012-02-02
    Location : Firelink Shrine

    Re: Mic Support Poll

    Post by Oh_the_Humanity on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:10 am

    DE5PA1R wrote:Not sure if I believe the consumer piece vs art piece argument - I'd argue that consumers just don't know what they want (ie they think they want mic support but don't know that they don't) - but that's a discussion for another time.

    Of course they know what they want, no offence but who are you to say they don't?
    Whether what they want is best for the direction of the series is the question.

    (to everyone that wants mic support)
    The poll numbers speak for themselves.
    But the ones who want mics aren't wrong, thats what they want, but its just a little selfish to push something that clearly isn't what the developers want to convey. They explained when DkS 1 first came out why mics weren't in the game. It just doesn't fit into the lore of the multiplayer. Even when you play with another person, it's still supposed to feel lonely. From doesn't want the comfort of a friend.
    Just listen to Solaire when you first meet him. He explains it pretty well. IMO.


    _________________



    psn name:
    TEST_SUBJECT_83


    ...Go Beyond Death...
    avatar
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1272
    Reputation : 48
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Location : Limbo

    Re: Mic Support Poll

    Post by ErrJon6661 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:49 am

    I say no solely based on the fact that I hate talking to people on online games. Its ridiculous. Not to say that if it was implemented I wouldn't have a bit of fun with it winking


    _________________
    :suspect:


    Also visit the newbie page and don't be afraid to message me if you're new and need some advice. http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/New+Player+Help

    Duel Wielding Velka's Rapier http://tinyurl.com/73jfhgd
    avatar
    DE5PA1R
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 460
    Reputation : 7
    Join date : 2012-11-26
    Location : Dallas, TX

    Re: Mic Support Poll

    Post by DE5PA1R on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:53 am

    Oh_the_Humanity wrote:Of course they know what they want, no offence but who are you to say they don't?

    I'm DE5PA1R. Nice to meet you.


    _________________
    Vids: youtube.com/de5pa1r

    Articles: medium.com/@de5pa1r

    Tweets: twitter.com/de5pa1r
    avatar
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3181
    Reputation : 231
    Join date : 2012-11-26
    Age : 30
    Location : Mushroom Kingdom

    Re: Mic Support Poll

    Post by Sentiel on Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:22 am

    I just noticed that in the 'Start New Chat' there's an option to create either 'Text Chat', or 'Voice/Video Chat'. I have the second option unavailable to me as I don't have a headset, nor a webcam. However, given the nature of this and similar threads, I can guess that this option isn't available when you play games, or it's available only in some games. While I can't phathom what use can Voice/Video chat on gaming console have outside of playing games, wouldn't the problem get solved if the option to use this chat was available during the play of every game?

    Person wanting to blabbermouth could just create the chatroom and invite his/hers desired audience to the chat, even if the game itself doesn't support voice chat, just like Dark Souls. Those that don't want to use voice chat don't have to accept the invite, or leave anytime and those that want to use voice chat, can use it this way.

    Everyone happy this way? Unicorns and rainbows?

    avatar
    mr_no_face
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 404
    Reputation : -4
    Join date : 2012-12-08
    Age : 23
    Location : Georgia

    Re: Mic Support Poll

    Post by mr_no_face on Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:33 am

    The ps3 voice/video chat room option is only available when not playing a game. You can not cross game chat either. Unlike xbox which has party chats and private chats that can be used even when your partner isn't playing the same game. This feature should be on ps4 but it is not on ps3


    _________________
    PSN: Mr_No_Face
                               
    avatar
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3181
    Reputation : 231
    Join date : 2012-11-26
    Age : 30
    Location : Mushroom Kingdom

    Re: Mic Support Poll

    Post by Sentiel on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:56 am

    That's what I'm saying. Leave the game alone and fix the PS3 party voice chat instead.

    avatar
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 461
    Reputation : 12
    Join date : 2012-02-02
    Location : Firelink Shrine

    Re: Mic Support Poll

    Post by Oh_the_Humanity on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:40 am

    DE5PA1R wrote:
    Oh_the_Humanity wrote:Of course they know what they want, no offence but who are you to say they don't?

    I'm DE5PA1R. Nice to meet you.

    Nice to meet you too big grin
    I really didn't mean any offence.


    _________________



    psn name:
    TEST_SUBJECT_83


    ...Go Beyond Death...
    avatar
    DE5PA1R
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 460
    Reputation : 7
    Join date : 2012-11-26
    Location : Dallas, TX

    Re: Mic Support Poll

    Post by DE5PA1R on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:45 am

    Oh_the_Humanity wrote:
    DE5PA1R wrote:
    Oh_the_Humanity wrote:Of course they know what they want, no offence but who are you to say they don't?

    I'm DE5PA1R. Nice to meet you.

    Nice to meet you too big grin
    I really didn't mean any offence.

    I understand. Same here, but I stand by what I said. I honestly think a lot of people, maybe even everyone to some degree, don't know exactly what they want in a product.

    I'll quote Henry Ford rather than dive into a long tangential argument: "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses."


    _________________
    Vids: youtube.com/de5pa1r

    Articles: medium.com/@de5pa1r

    Tweets: twitter.com/de5pa1r

    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 785
    Reputation : 45
    Join date : 2012-07-31

    Re: Mic Support Poll

    Post by Nybbles on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:29 pm

    absolutely HELLS NO to mic chat in Dark Souls



    avatar
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 461
    Reputation : 12
    Join date : 2012-02-02
    Location : Firelink Shrine

    Re: Mic Support Poll

    Post by Oh_the_Humanity on Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:05 pm

    DE5PA1R wrote:
    Oh_the_Humanity wrote:
    DE5PA1R wrote:
    Oh_the_Humanity wrote:Of course they know what they want, no offence but who are you to say they don't?

    I'm DE5PA1R. Nice to meet you.

    Nice to meet you too big grin
    I really didn't mean any offence.

    I understand. Same here, but I stand by what I said. I honestly think a lot of people, maybe even everyone to some degree, don't know exactly what they want in a product.

    I'll quote Henry Ford rather than dive into a long tangential argument: "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses."

    I totally understand where your coming from. Words can be very subjective based off of peoples experience with those words.

    It's hard to know exactly what someone wants without experiencing it in both situations. Alot of people that do want mic support may hate it if it actually comes to light. Same goes for people who don't want it, they may come to realize they actually like it after experiencing it.

    Anyways, Mic support wont happen in a Souls game, the only way it will happen is if it's done within the XMB. From would never add it to the in game features. It's just doesn't fit into the multiplayer lore of the series. Yout not supposed to know the person your playing with.



    _________________



    psn name:
    TEST_SUBJECT_83


    ...Go Beyond Death...
    avatar
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1272
    Reputation : 48
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Location : Limbo

    Re: Mic Support Poll

    Post by ErrJon6661 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:44 pm

    Nybbles wrote:absolutely HELLS NO to mic chat in Dark Souls






    Nailed it.

    Anyone who's played anything online especially games like Halo and COD knows that like 90% of the people who use voice are just like these guys. And the rest of the people who use voice just don't say anything because these guys won't stop talking.


    _________________
    :suspect:


    Also visit the newbie page and don't be afraid to message me if you're new and need some advice. http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/New+Player+Help

    Duel Wielding Velka's Rapier http://tinyurl.com/73jfhgd

    Sponsored content

    Re: Mic Support Poll

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:27 am