Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+18
Djem
Jansports
passivefamiliar
Forum Pirate
Oh_the_Humanity
hey its andres
Argetlam350
eminusx
Tolvo
Halicarnassis
Ashran
User1
nsane32
tofucactaur
vegan666
Slarg232
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Noob-of-Artorias
22 posters

ENB's Dark Souls 2 Commentary

hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

ENB's Dark Souls 2 Commentary - Page 2 Empty Re: ENB's Dark Souls 2 Commentary

Post by hey its andres Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:08 pm

Yeah just for the record, I have nothing against ENB and find that he raises a lot of valid points. I just see that he's not always right or I don't always agree with him and think other people should just believe what they want and not because someone said so.
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Oh_the_Humanity Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:14 pm

hey its andres wrote:I realize that some people are really good and watch his videos with and attitude of curiosity, not taking everything for granted. The main problem is when get into a lore-war with someone, and the they defend themselves by saying "Yeah but ENB said-!" after that I stop listening. I just really urge people to use their own imagination sometimes. Dark Souls lore gets boring when we only get one perspective.

Exactly!
    That's what From's intention is with there way of storytelling.
    They want it to be somewhat subjective.
    So everyone can have different takes on the same thing.
    It's quite brilliant really.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:25 pm

Halicarnassis wrote:@tof: mate I'm giving you a +1 there. I agree with everything you have said and was so about to voice my opinion on playing as a set character to start off with but you beat me to it lol!

I think ENB did a great job in the short amount of time he dedicated to the preview and let wait for his 2 hour frame by frame analysis

Just want to say on rolling speeds and carrying different weapons:

Surely carrying a massive 2-handed Zwei is going to be more difficult to roll with then carrying a shortsword/longsword combo? Think about the tuck and roll action and try not to cut your own head off with a Zwei and I think one can imagine the difficulty right there and the care to roll a little slower..
    I've been over this. The roll is symbolic. Dodging happens many ways irl, few of them involve rolling. As such, any argument about the realism of the roll is null.
    tofucactaur
    tofucactaur
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by tofucactaur Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:36 am

Forum Pirate wrote:
    Halicarnassis wrote:@tof: mate I'm giving you a +1 there. I agree with everything you have said and was so about to voice my opinion on playing as a set character to start off with but you beat me to it lol!

I think ENB did a great job in the short amount of time he dedicated to the preview and let wait for his 2 hour frame by frame analysis

Just want to say on rolling speeds and carrying different weapons:

Surely carrying a massive 2-handed Zwei is going to be more difficult to roll with then carrying a shortsword/longsword combo? Think about the tuck and roll action and try not to cut your own head off with a Zwei and I think one can imagine the difficulty right there and the care to roll a little slower..
    I've been over this. The roll is symbolic. Dodging happens many ways irl, few of them involve rolling. As such, any argument about the realism of the roll is null.

this is an interesting point of view, i like the notion of a physical action carried out by the player being symbolic of a more complex/varied action, its sorta funny.
    passivefamiliar
    passivefamiliar
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by passivefamiliar Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:50 pm

anyone cast downvotes yet? get ready to.

i'm tired of hearing about epicnamebro.

he is just another person, i dont mean to judge so much or hate on the guy. but his fanbase has gotten to big for his ego. he plays it off well, but i get a bad vibe off the guy. mostly due to how much people quote him as an authority on the souls...experience the game on your terms, not with his viewpoints guiding you.

i really dont mean to be so negative, but someone has to understand where i'm coming from with this. the videogame world may just be passing me by i guess i just dont fit in this generation anymore.

plus side, still hyped to play this.but avoiding trailers etc, to many spoils. i think i'll just retire from this site though, this post is likely to get me banned with the 'godlike' status people give this one poor guy
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:06 pm

passivefamiliar wrote:anyone cast downvotes yet? get ready to.

i'm tired of hearing about epicnamebro.

he is just another person, i dont mean to judge so much or hate on the guy. but his fanbase has gotten to big for his ego. he plays it off well, but i get a bad vibe off the guy. mostly due to how much people quote him as an authority on the souls...experience the game on your terms, not with his viewpoints guiding you.

i really dont mean to be so negative, but someone has to understand where i'm coming from with this. the videogame world may just be passing me by i guess i just dont fit in this generation anymore.

plus side, still hyped to play this.but avoiding trailers etc, to many spoils. i think i'll just retire from this site though, this post is likely to get me banned with the 'godlike' status people give this one poor guy

You must have missed my posts then. I am in the same boat as you. His fanbase has turned somewhat into a cult, with the prominent members worshiping him and never analyzing Dark Souls themselves. He loves to play the game and analyzes it well, but I probably play the game just as much, if not more, and most of what he says I figured out by myself. So much of the Souls community claims to love challenge and not being spoon-fed lore, but they take away both of those things when they religiously follow this guy. I have nothing against ENB, it's just his fans that bother me.
    passivefamiliar
    passivefamiliar
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by passivefamiliar Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:59 pm

I did miss yours, because, I didn't read really. Did a quick skim, saw things iI didndidn't want to read. Then posted.my 2 cents. Eh.

Glad its not just me. A cult is a good way to put it. I remember some of his early videos, he just had some gameplay, no commentary even. Then once he started putting his face on it...it went downhill.

hmmm. oh well. Enjoy souls everyone. Umbasa.
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Oh_the_Humanity Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:01 pm

On the subject of EnB.
    who cares?
    let people love the guy if they want to.
    I personally, and think many people as well just take what he says and use his perspective to broaden theres. Not just take everything he says has "the truth" or as an absolute.
    I love what he has to say. But I dont jerk off to his videos.
    He just has a deep love for the game as do us all.
    He just wants to share his love for the series with people who want it.
    Is there anything wrong with that? no absolutely not.
    You shouldn't be bashing him. All he's done is share his opinions.
    If you watch his vids he always clear about his point of view being just that, his opinion. When he does state something as fact he always has something to back it up. Otherwise he say "this is just speculation"
    Thats the point of From's storytelling.
    It's very subjective.
    I completely understand you being sick of hearing about him and how amazing he is. Or being annoyed by people who say "epicnamebro this, and epicnamebro that". I'm sick of people talking **** about him because of that.
    If I ever use something he has said in a forum or comment, I make sure that it's something I've experienced for myself and I keep his name out of it.
    I don't worship him by any means, but he's put so much time and love into his videos and has never spouted bulls#it or trolled anyone, like I said, he always has something to back up what he says, otherwise he says he's just speculating.
    So c'mon everyone, just leave epic alone. He has done nothing but try and guide people who want it. Not force it down there throat.
    Once again...who cares if people love the guy. You don't have to.

Last edited by Oh_the_Humanity on Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correcting bad spelling :S)
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Oh_the_Humanity Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:05 pm

passivefamiliar wrote:I did miss yours, because, I didn't read really. Did a quick skim, saw things iI didndidn't want to read. Then posted.my 2 cents. Eh.

Glad its not just me. A cult is a good way to put it. I remember some of his early videos, he just had some gameplay, no commentary even. Then once he started putting his face on it...it went downhill.

hmmm. oh well. Enjoy souls everyone. Umbasa.

Cult?
    Thats ridiculous. If theres a cult its for Dark Souls, not epicnamebro.
    Hes just the only one who's put that amount of time and effort into DkS vids.
    It's not him, it's the game we all love so much.
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:26 pm

hey its andres wrote:Yeah just for the record, I have nothing against ENB and find that he raises a lot of valid points. I just see that he's not always right or I don't always agree with him and think other people should just believe what they want and not because someone said so.

Does no one read my posts? Prostration

Plus I am referring to his (mostly youtube) fanbase that is just loves his videos, and record his statements in a Bible.

Let me emphasize though:
    :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST EPIC HIMSELF JUST HIS FANS
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:28 am

I'm a fan of ENB. What's the problem?

Is there a problem with enjoying something? I enjoy his videos and I think he pays very close attention to things often offering insight I wouldn't have considered (as my point of view mostly concerns pvp not lore)

Are my opinions now somehow worth less because I'm his fan?
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:30 am

Why are we arguing about this? Best we leave it as the knowledge that ENB has fans, but should try to figure out lore themselves, yet you also shouldn't call them a cult because they are his fans either.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:33 am

Ugh... I'd rather not start this, I enjoy watching ENB's content but I agree that it can get annoying when you're in someone else's video and people are trying to dominate the conversation by saying "ENB said it." as though it were gospel even though he himself says he speculates a lot.

Still his work on lore is some of the best stuff out there.

And andres, how did you get that scrolling thing to work. :?:
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:38 am

Any blind fans of anyone are terrible. Just as blind fans of Dark Souls are terrible. It's not just ENB, every crowd has fanatics.

He's done a good deal for the community and has helped raise interest in the lore of Dark Souls. He has subscribers and viewers who are fine. He also has blind followers just like anyone else.

Now how about people actually discuss the *** video rather than bring up this whole cult ********?
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:42 am

I'd actually rather start this. What specifically about ENB's fans is so bad? I mean I am one of them, I want to know what I'm doing so egregiously wrong as to piss off a bunch of people.

ENB's Dark Souls 2 Commentary - Page 2 3596227959Well, what is it?
    passivefamiliar
    passivefamiliar
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by passivefamiliar Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:02 am

The issue is not epicnamebro himself, it is what happens because of him and when a fan does THIS. This thread exactly is the issue. (No offense to the original poster of this...but you may fit the problem as I view it, which is my opinion you don't have to agree don't have to rage either just discuss)

the issue is when someone uses epic as a filter to discuss dark souls. Like here. This video and discussion about said video would be better if we watched it MUTED and then discussed each of our own perspectives and observations.

instead, commecomments tend to read like 'he makes a point about' or 'I like when he says' or 'his view on'. There is not enough individual thought.

think for yourself is all. If you are, good for you. If your thick headed and won't have a discussion with some sense about you, well...shove off its the internet and who cares. Fans can be fans. But any of you, whiwhich let any of this affect your social life are closing in on cult status. Harsh? Meh....
    Halicarnassis
    Halicarnassis
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Halicarnassis Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:01 am

Guys guys guys.. on topic yeah. This isn't a thread to diss anyone's fan base so lets stick to giving our opinions on his commentary please
    Halicarnassis
    Halicarnassis
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Halicarnassis Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:05 am

@Tolvo - mate those are some epic screen shots! Looks like the mailbreaker and Epee/rapier the knight is carrying in some of them.
    Noob-of-Artorias
    Noob-of-Artorias
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Noob-of-Artorias Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:48 pm

Guys I'd rather not get this thread locked....can we get back to the discussion at hand?
    Djem
    Djem
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Djem Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:20 pm

Nobody likes bigotry.
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:38 pm

Wise words indeed. Especially Ghouls.
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:14 pm

Thus began the Age of Fire :weap-chaos:
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:37 am

It's not like there aren't a multitude of threads right here next to this one with ideas straight from the heads of the members of this forum. ENB happened to make a video about the exciting new news about DaS2. A video a lot of people probably saw, so it serves as a point of reference for discussing our thoughts and opinions about possible changes.

I'm terribly sorry I like things, I'll go ruin some other space of the internet with my total incapacity to function
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Oh_the_Humanity Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:39 am

Jansports wrote:It's not like there aren't a multitude of threads right here next to this one with ideas straight from the heads of the members of this forum. ENB happened to make a video about the exciting new news about DaS2. A video a lot of people probably saw, so it serves as a point of reference for discussing our thoughts and opinions about possible changes.

I'm terribly sorry I like things, I'll go ruin some other space of the internet with my total incapacity to function

Well said. I really don't understand all the hostility towards him.
    Especially from this forum. I thought we wern't like that.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:28 am

Guys just stop talking about that sort of stuff, it will just start a circle, not to mention it isn't on topic.

So do you think there is any symbolism in the mention waning crescent moon in the UI? It is associated with endings of a cycle typically, but it is also viewed mostly early in the day like a beginning. Do you think there is any symbolism in it, similar to how the Dark Moon was treated in Dark Souls. ( Dark Moons are associated with being unseen or hidden. )

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:07 pm