Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
Forum Pirate
befowler
Redhawk17torch
Pilgrim34
AnCapaillMor
O1va_
Dibsville
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
jimmyc0341
13 posters

Any tips on defeating gankers when you invade?

jimmyc0341
    jimmyc0341
    Addicted
    Addicted

Any tips on defeating gankers when you invade? Empty Any tips on defeating gankers when you invade?

Post by jimmyc0341 Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:07 am

I'm going to b honest. I suck @ PvP but I'm getting better and can do pretty good now against people who duel honorably(better than I was a few months back.) I might not always win but I can learn from my mistakes however....today I invaded 112 times today(I had nothing better to do plus I love Dark Souls now) and among those 112 duels I only dueled someone 1v1 seven times. The rest of the time it was all gankers and sometimes it was 3v1. Im not that good to duel 2people at the same time so if you guys had any tips on coming up against these worthless pieces of s*** please let me know. Also if this happens to you guys how do you refrain from getting aggravated or raging? I should probably take a break i know that when I get that frustrated but I love the game. Anyways any tips on dealing w/gankers would be very welcome
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Any tips on defeating gankers when you invade? Empty Re: Any tips on defeating gankers when you invade?

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:19 am

Gun it for the host would be my best piece of advice, I guess.

More importantly though, don't let these guys get a rise out of you. That's just what they want.
    jimmyc0341
    jimmyc0341
    Addicted
    Addicted

Any tips on defeating gankers when you invade? Empty Re: Any tips on defeating gankers when you invade?

Post by jimmyc0341 Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:30 am

I know but for me it's hard not to get pissed off. I try for the host alot but I always get sneaked up on by his phantom and then chainBS'd. It's even harder when there's 3 of them which happened alot. I wish i was a better PvPer and I like to invade for the practice(even if I lose) but most of the time I don't even get a chance when being ganked cuz I'm either running for my life to get my bearings,chasing after the host before being backstabbed by phantoms, or I can't even get out of where I invaded from. They do that thing where as your arriving into their world they get right behind you and BS you before you have a chance to move.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:35 am

-When you get a backstab, one of the phantoms normally stand behind you, turn around and parry for a huge punish.

-Go for the host. Although Phantoms also reap in souls, the host gives you the item, Phantoms are just roadblocks.

-Have Fast Roll/DWGR.

-Use a fast and long ranged weapon, such as a variation of a Halberd, or a type of Katana. Even the Estoc will do fine.

-Watch your health. Once your health is low, people will get reckless. You can use this to your advantage by letting them lower your health, then put on Red Tearstone Ring and punish them with a parry, as their attack patterns become extremely easy to predict at that point.

-Don't heal if they heal. Instead, make sure that you have enough time to get away and do it, if you heal as they do, you'll be punished.
    jimmyc0341
    jimmyc0341
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by jimmyc0341 Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:01 am

Dibsville wrote:-When you get a backstab, one of the phantoms normally stand behind you, turn around and parry for a huge punish.

-Go for the host. Although Phantoms also reap in souls, the host gives you the item, Phantoms are just roadblocks.

-Have Fast Roll/DWGR.

-Use a fast and long ranged weapon, such as a variation of a Halberd, or a type of Katana. Even the Estoc will do fine.

-Watch your health. Once your health is low, people will get reckless. You can use this to your advantage by letting them lower your health, then put on Red Tearstone Ring and punish them with a parry, as their attack patterns become extremely easy to predict at that point.

-Don't heal if they heal. Instead, make sure that you have enough time to get away and do it, if you heal as they do, you'll be punished.
    Black magic/crystal magic spammers get me alot as well. Should I always use the crest shield when I invade? Also I do have a pretty fast roll but sometimes the dead angles get me. Also should I refrain from locking on them? i feel like when i lock on to gankers it messes me up trying to keep my eye on the lot of them
    O1va_
    O1va_
    Regular
    Regular

Post by O1va_ Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:26 am

Sounds like forest (I didn't see it mentioned on your post but still), one thing is you allways, ALLWAYS have to know where the host is and where the phantom is, if you can't see them, get to a position where you can. More than few seconds out from your screen and they can be anywhere, you'll eventually get good at knowing where they are and where they are going if you keep at it. Backpedaling is your best friend, they can't BS you if you move backwards, they can hit you so keep your guard up. BS in every opportunity you get, punish BS attemps with BS, sooner or later the host will run out of estus.

The most important thing is that you accept that you'll probably lose. In 2v1 it doesn't matter how good you are, you will lose sometimes. They will make gestures to you r corpse, if that makes you mad, just look away from the screen after you die.

Fighting gankers can be most fun you'll have playing this game, but when it gets to you it is not, if that happens take a break. Come back refreshed and you'll have fun again.

Happy hunting!
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:22 am

Yeah a weapon with good reach helps, try to keep both in sight, if you can't keep tabbing to change target and the other should highlight as he comes in close to you.

If ones trying to circle around you, keep locked on the guy in front of you, then just as the other moves in, switch to him and go for a pivot bs. I'll probably get hate for this but practice BS'ing, really useful against gankers as it takes more damage and gankers seem to be overconfident and leave themselves open a lot.

I usually bring a bow and poison arrows to the fight, keep distance and try to poison them, even though it's little damage they usually go into panic stations and they get sloppy.

Bring great combustion\black flame, great to fend them off for it and it might hit both.
    jimmyc0341
    jimmyc0341
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by jimmyc0341 Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:57 am

Thanks for the tips guys. I really appreciate it.
    Pilgrim34
    Pilgrim34
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Pilgrim34 Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:20 am

Using a weapon with a special attack (such as obsidian greatsword or grant) can help when fighting gankers. The obsidian greatsword is particularly good since you can buff it and then unleash a powerful shockwave with the two handed R2 either to blast opponents off ledges or hit them as they get up from a backstab!
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:01 am

jimmyc0341 wrote:
    Dibsville wrote:-When you get a backstab, one of the phantoms normally stand behind you, turn around and parry for a huge punish.

-Have Fast Roll/DWGR.

Black magic/crystal magic spammers get me alot as well. Should I always use the crest shield when I invade? Also I do have a pretty fast roll but sometimes the dead angles get me. Also should I refrain from locking on them? i feel like when i lock on to gankers it messes me up trying to keep my eye on the lot of them

I'd recommend putting the Crest Shield beside your normal shield, this way if you see they are using magic, you can very easily swap them out. Although, yes, you can use the Crest Shield full time. It's a great shield; 100% physical defense, high magic defense, and it parries. You don't need much more. If you see someone using magic, your best choice is to take off lock on and run at them, chances are they'll use Dark Bead, in which case you can just roll BS them.
    Redhawk17torch
    Redhawk17torch
    Casual
    Casual

Location : In my room, trying my best not to throw my tv out the window

Post by Redhawk17torch Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:17 am

Only tips I can give you are

- bring them some where there forced to come one at a time
    - Demon Great Axe cystal +5 with some kind of power buff (power within, redstone tear ring, dragon body stone)
    - Vow of silence is good when you can tell one or both of the gankers will be heavy magic user, then you can get in close
    - WoG is great for when they try to sandwich you
    - TWoP is also good but it's really cheap
    - Heal up, if they go flask popping, pop some humanity in return

Thats all I can think of right now. I might have more later
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:52 am

-- Have some area of effect spells, like wrath of the gods or firestorms. Have one of them keyed up as your first spell before you even invade, so you can touch it off immediately if you are surrounded.

-- If you have the attunement slots for them, chaos pyromancies can be a good way to control the battlefield since they leave lava behind that you are immune to (and can therefore escape through).

-- Get familiar with the chokepoints in areas where you invade, and lead them there so they either bunch up, or get separated when only some of them decide to follow.

-- Since you are dealing with groups, I like weapons that have horizontal swings so it is easier to hit multiple targets and/or dead angle. I also find it easier to play locked off that way. Fast ones that let you stick and move like the broadsword or longsword are surprisingly good. I also like a basic greatsword, which stunlocks really well.

-- You can also go for the power within type damage buffs, or stealth mode stuff like fog ring or hidden body if you like that sort of stuff. One thing to remember with power within though is that the host and summons can see your accumulating damage count from pretty much anywhere on the map so if you cast it too soon it makes it really easy for them to find you or ambush you.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:29 pm

Great magic barrier will render entire gank squats impotent for 40 seconds at a time.

Duel wielding is a good idea, blocking will get you overwhelmed in a hurry, so an offhand catalyst/talismine/flame is a great deterent (they get reluctant to rush you after the first time you tag them with an 800 damage wog or insta kill one with dark bead.

Failing that, learn to parry. Most gankers cannot defend themselves against parries, so you can concievably parry all 3 players in a row as they try to bs you in turn.
    jimmyc0341
    jimmyc0341
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by jimmyc0341 Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:05 pm

All great tips and I wil definitey take them al into account even though to use some of the spells like WoTG and TwoP I don't have a high enough miracle stat and the same goes for my strength for some of the heavier weapons like the Grant and OGS. I do use a Fire Great Scythe which does have awesome reach and I use the Firestorm pyromancy but my PvP skills and BS skills are kind of weak unfortunately that is why I just became a Darkwraith so i could PvP more often for the practice but it's hard to find any practice at all when right off the rip you're ganked by 2 or 3 people from the start. before I even have a chance to move. I'm not a sore loser by any means but it's just so frustrating when I don't even get a chance to even try to fight back. Btw when i invaded I was getting ganked in not just the forest but Anor Londo,Sens(which i can understand) and The painted World.
    Pilgrim34
    Pilgrim34
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Pilgrim34 Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:11 pm

You only need 20 strength for the OGS which would make it a very viable weapon for almost any build. Like all dragon weapons it doesn't scale but has 480 AR when fully upgraded plus it's buffable. I've had so much success with this weapon on gank hunts I really can't recommend it enough!
    xenon_nobelium
    xenon_nobelium
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by xenon_nobelium Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:21 pm

i've got to learn that power within is really good in ganking situations. you'll most like won't last that long anyhow. feels good to 1-shot the host with the large club rolling attack^^
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:56 pm

50 STR. Large Club +15, lemon buffed Power Within Hornet Ring backstab. I do it a lot, and it will nearly always one shot anybody. If you score a parry and riposte, invasions over. silly
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:50 pm

RenegadeCop wrote:50 STR. Large Club +15, lemon buffed Power Within Hornet Ring backstab. I do it a lot, and it will nearly always one shot anybody. If you score a parry and riposte, invasions over. silly
    Great Club does more damage.
    Demon's Greataxe would blow that out of the park.
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:51 pm

Large Club has better R2's. (Wide range, high power)
    DGA has a very narrow moveset, not the best for a ganking.
    O1va_
    O1va_
    Regular
    Regular

Post by O1va_ Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:15 am

Dibsville wrote:
    RenegadeCop wrote:50 STR. Large Club +15, lemon buffed Power Within Hornet Ring backstab. I do it a lot, and it will nearly always one shot anybody. If you score a parry and riposte, invasions over. silly
    Great Club does more damage.
    Demon's Greataxe would blow that out of the park.

And DGA hits 3 times in a BS with hornet ring, now add that lemon juice damage to ALL of the hits and you have something.

E: Or was it 3 hits on a riposte... can't remember....
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:38 am

Its 3 on a riposte, and the large club does the 3 hit riposte too.
    grossemesser
    grossemesser
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by grossemesser Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:56 pm

No one has mentioned it yet but you can roll through DB and draw off pursuers of all kinds. You can even roll through the dreaded MLGS wave attack. It takes practice but the frustration you generation will be rewarding. A simple warriors round shield upgraded through the magic path has excellent magic defense if the Crest shield is to heavy.
    DigitaLinsanitY
    DigitaLinsanitY
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by DigitaLinsanitY Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:01 pm

I recommend you just constantly invade the forest until you're comfortable. You don't really need any gimicks (even though they help). There's a badass youtube video out there of a guy owning forest gankers with a pure quality build + claymore (no magic, no hornet ring).

It will expose you to all the nasty tricks and will make you a better PvP er as a whole. You can also practice bs fishing or w/e it is you want without feeling like a tool (if you go by some honor system in duels). It also teaches you perry timings of some of the more common weapon (gankers like to R1 spam).

Just know you will die... a lot. Go into it trying to improve and practice specific ideas and concepts. Be patient and have fun.
    grossemesser
    grossemesser
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by grossemesser Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:42 pm

^ ^ That is how I learned to dodge the magics. Any tips on defeating gankers when you invade? 3149687655

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:17 am