Growing up in the Forest PvP

SirArchmage
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Re: Growing up in the Forest PvP

Post by SirArchmage on Thu May 16, 2013 1:20 am

Test one: Failed. Target was stunned by one Great Combustion, Great Combusted him again to make sure I could stunlock him, then switched to combustion and he immediately escaped. Might have had over 30 poise, but under 40. Also noted that at 45 Dex combustion is just barely a frame faster than combustion, so it's usefulness when at that level is near negated in favor of Great Combustion. Have yet to try lower levels.

Test two: Another person that had too much poise to work with. However, with the faster speed of Combustion it might be a more effective tool for wake-up attacks.

Test three: Heh heh......can stunlock. Can most definitely stunlock. And may very well be more useful for stunlocking at lower levels with the speed difference.

Many tests later, I have come to the conclusion that if you are at high enough dex, stick to Great Combustion. Better damage added with the fact that even if they have a very small amount of time to do something before the next GC comes, since it is larger then combustion it will catch them and put them in a never-ending stunlock. With combustion it is too small to do this, as they can roll away in time. However the speed for Combustion will make up for this at lower levels, plus with more castings for longer stun-locking.

The Heretic was here twisted Mwa haha
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 on Thu May 16, 2013 9:26 am

What about BF to break poise easier, then swapping?

PSN usernames: reim0027_2,   reim0027_3,  and reim0027_5.  Skype ID: reim0027  
    Tour of Lordran Soul Levels  //  Official Wiki Fight Club // Forest Invasion Soul Levels // Low Level Invasion Rules
    FinPeku
    Chat Moderator

Post by FinPeku on Thu May 16, 2013 10:08 am

Still having trouble with pyros? I'm not the best but here are some basic combos:

(Chaos) Fireball + Great combustion: this is the bread and butter pyro combo for me. Simple to use, deals a ton of damage. Works often in the forest. Run away, if they chase you cast fireball, manually aim it behind you and cast combustion when they get hit by the fireball. 40 dex is enough.

Chaos fireball + chaos fire whip + great combustion: more advanced but will oneshot a lot of players if you wear CoD or dragonrest ring. I haven't used this one in the forest and rarely go for it in duels but i would imagine the bridge near Alvina would be perfect for it if the gankers chase you. They get hit by the fireball, then both parts of whip, fireball lava, great combustion, fire whip lava and they're dead. Not sure if it requires 45 dex or not. I'm guessing 40 is enough.

Black flame + Great combustion. Requires 45 dex. Black flame first because it deals higher poise damage. I'm not sure is this 100% guaranteed, but i've been able to land it in the forest many times. Sometimes i've been able to hit them with rapier r2 after bf + gc. I guess it has some nasty phantom range. Don't forget that with 45 dex you can land gc after kick, that's really good combo since the gc will deal extra damage.

Tempest and chaos storm are good if you manage to ambush them or in 2v2 situations when the other invader is keeping them busy.

Oh, by the way. I'm really tempted to join this challenge but i don't know if i'm patient enough. Maybe when the flickering is fixed. I planned all my builds back when you first posted this and i gotta say, they became very backstab fishy big grin It seems that i don't know what else to do against gankers. Stunlock and criticals.

So the world might be mended…”
    SirArchmage
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by SirArchmage on Thu May 16, 2013 11:00 am

reim0027 wrote:What about BF to break poise easier, then swapping?
    Doesn't work. I tested it out on people but using Combustion, seeing that it stuns them, then I would pull out GC, stun them, then switch during the stun-lock. Rarely do people get out of GC or Black Flame stun-locks but he got out of the Combustion one very quickly. Tested it out on only two other people, because sadly most people that I invaded were in heavy armor.

divinebeanpole
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by divinebeanpole on Thu May 16, 2013 7:18 pm

Oh the joy of playing with new players in the forest. Nobody knows what chameleon is lol

Post by reim0027 on Thu May 16, 2013 10:37 pm

Right now, I'm using Chaos Storm, Chaos Fireball and Black Flame. I'll give the CFB and BF combo a try.

Tour of Lordran Soul Levels  //  Official Wiki Fight Club // Forest Invasion Soul Levels // Low Level Invasion Rules
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 on Sun May 19, 2013 12:10 am

Half way through my pyro phase. 50 kills left. One of the best combos for me (other than BF spammage) is CF into CFB. This is hard. Pyro is so not my play style. Next up is sorcerer, SL 100.

reim0027

Post by reim0027 on Sun May 19, 2013 1:10 pm

I got to 78 last night. I should be able to finish my pyro level and move up to 100 (sorcerer). Prepare for some Dark Bead spammage! And, if they run, now I have CSS to slice them through the back. (I didn't have much options for runners with my pyro).

I'll probably go mage tank. Poise is so critical in the forest.

FinPeku
    Chat Moderator

Post by FinPeku on Sun May 19, 2013 1:41 pm

I haven't used sorcery in the forest for a long time but i was very unimpressed how pursuers perform there. There is too much room to back away. What kind of build are you planning to use?

SirArchmage
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by SirArchmage on Sun May 19, 2013 1:49 pm

Use the strategy that Rynn made with pursuers and soul mass. They only activate if you are facing them, so strafe to the side and with practice make it so that only individual or a few pursuers activate at a time. Practice this on random enemies like in undead parish, and you can destroy people be essentially making pursuers come at them from too many directions to easily get away from.

FinPeku
    Chat Moderator

Post by FinPeku on Sun May 19, 2013 1:51 pm

That's how i always use soulmass in duels, but controlling the orbs can be more complicated when there's 2 or 3 targets.

Lord of Ash
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Lord of Ash on Sun May 19, 2013 9:23 pm

Ive been a hunter since october of 2011 Ive got tons of tricks up my sleeve this is a good idea to help our brothers survive the onslought of people coming into OUR forest

Customer Satisfaction RateThe first thousand customers
    Affiliation: The Far East Trainers-Forest Hunter Trainer http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t12291-far-east-trainers
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 on Sun May 19, 2013 10:33 pm

Pursuers are so easy to dodge in the forest, unless there is someone attacking you at the same time. Pursuers really can't go around trees. IMO, not worth the 2 attunement slots. Here's my build: http://mmdks.com/2e3e

Far from ideal, but that is the price I pay for doing this build progression. I have to pay for the points already dedicated and I have to anticipate future points so my following builds will be viable at their respective SLs.

TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam on Mon May 20, 2013 2:13 am

reim0027 wrote:I got to 78 last night. I should be able to finish my pyro level and move up to 100 (sorcerer). Prepare for some Dark Bead spammage! And, if they run, now I have CSS to slice them through the back. (I didn't have much options for runners with my pyro).

I'll probably go mage tank. Poise is so critical in the forest.

Most practical would probably be avelyn or another xbow (light if weight problems). Has nowhere near the dmg of CSS unfortunately, but still very painful to eat say a maxed avelyn with lightning bolts in the back, and even more so if PW is still active. Not really unique to pyro, but when your options are otherwise limited you might as well use that.

If you have a spare slot oolacile ivory cat can fire off a reasonably threatening great soul arrow and those track a bit too.
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 on Mon May 20, 2013 2:28 am

Got to 100 kills. On to my SL 100 Mage.

@Me - I picked out the Great Soul Arrow as my tracing spell. Nont enough intelligence for the CSS. I've got CMW falchion, Velka's in my right. Crest shield and Beatrice's on my left. I may swap out TCC for the CMW casting, if I have time.

reim0027

Post by reim0027 on Mon May 20, 2013 1:00 pm

Got to 9 kills in the forest. I had to stop last night. As the night got later and later, the lag got worse and worse. I got sick of getting backstabbed 2 rolls into dodging.

reim0027

Post by reim0027 on Thu May 30, 2013 9:28 am

At 377 total host kills. I'm at SL 100 with 23 left to go. The combination HCMS and DB is deadly. Last night, I put down 5 hosts with a SL over 300. I should be graduating and moving up to the next level (120 - strength) this week.

And, I'll posts the SL statistics of the 400 hosts I've killed, when I do.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:24 pm