Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Halicarnassis
ublug
Phoenix Rising
Djem
BIG TIME MASTER
MiketheMushroomMan
10 posters

If you could compare Dark Souls to another work of genuis in a different artistic medium.....

MiketheMushroomMan
    Casual
    Casual

If you could compare Dark Souls to another work of genuis in a different artistic medium..... Empty If you could compare Dark Souls to another work of genuis in a different artistic medium.....

Post by MiketheMushroomMan Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:39 pm

So im curious to know, and keen to learn new cultural reference points.

My tuppenenceworth would be in Music:

The Fall - Dark, imaginative, partially surreal (lyrics), partially supernatural (lyrics) avant garde, in your face, punk rock, a bit old school - but also unique. Innovative but a tight formula. "Always different, Always the same" (to quote John Peel). All genius - although a couple of their albums have a Blighttown feel about them, and one or two Lost Izalith - but for Anor Londo listen to "This Nations Saving Grace" - a belter.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

If you could compare Dark Souls to another work of genuis in a different artistic medium..... Empty Re: If you could compare Dark Souls to another work of genuis in a different artistic medium.....

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:15 pm

Apocalypto (the Mel Gibson movie)

When I first saw it I thought it was just an awesome movie with great set pieces, a different locale, a good plot, and fantastic action. It wasn't until I watched it many more times that I picked up the real depth of it.

Same thing with DKS, on the surface it is an incredible game with stellar, detailed graphics, the best action I have ever experienced bar none, and interesting characters. It was not until, after many many hours of gameplay, and interaction with other players that I realized just how deep some of the core elements of the game can be.
    Djem
    Djem
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

If you could compare Dark Souls to another work of genuis in a different artistic medium..... Empty Re: If you could compare Dark Souls to another work of genuis in a different artistic medium.....

Post by Djem Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:28 pm

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. EVERYTHING just fits together like a puzzle. I have always compared it to the large sandbox world of Dark Souls.

In Dark Souls, from Firelink Shrine you can see the Great Hollow, in which you can reach the Ash Lake, which can be seen from the Tomb of the Giants, which can be travelled to from the Catacombs, which is conjoined with Firelink shrine once again.

In A Song of Ice and Fire, (without giving any spoilers) you are told a story that is widely believed by every character in the series, which then turns out to be false and has been since the series started, which then turns out to be known by characters you thought you were familiar with.

And they all wrap up perfectly. And in both, there is death every step you take, and every page you turn.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:36 pm

Is that a book?
    Phoenix Rising
    Phoenix Rising
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Phoenix Rising Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:03 pm

Nothing conveys the rage I've had on multiple occasions toward this game like...

"The Scream"

Last edited by Phoenix Rising on Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Djem
    Djem
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Djem Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:53 pm

Yeah it's a book.
    ublug
    ublug
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

Post by ublug Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:07 pm

Phoenix Rising wrote:"The Scream" by Vincent Van Gogh
    That's made by Edvard Munch btw silly
    Phoenix Rising
    Phoenix Rising
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Phoenix Rising Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:13 pm

I'm dumb. Sorry.:oops:
    Halicarnassis
    Halicarnassis
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Halicarnassis Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:48 pm

The Wheel; the invention that changed everything
    jimmyc0341
    jimmyc0341
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by jimmyc0341 Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:20 am

Djem wrote:A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. EVERYTHING just fits together like a puzzle. I have always compared it to the large sandbox world of Dark Souls.

In Dark Souls, from Firelink Shrine you can see the Great Hollow, in which you can reach the Ash Lake, which can be seen from the Tomb of the Giants, which can be travelled to from the Catacombs, which is conjoined with Firelink shrine once again.

In A Song of Ice and Fire, (without giving any spoilers) you are told a story that is widely believed by every character in the series, which then turns out to be false and has been since the series started, which then turns out to be known by characters you thought you were familiar with.

And they all wrap up perfectly. And in both, there is death every step you take, and every page you turn.

Lmao!! that's so funny because I was going to comapre it to "A Song of Ice&Fire" series. Such great and amazing books,the best I've ever read and I'm not a Fantasy person either tbch. I'm more of a Bukowski fan but because of those books I gave Dark SOuls a 2nd chance(was raped the first time I played it and didn't play it again til a few months back)
    Also music wise Dark Souls reminds me of Pantera's "far Beyond Driven" album and Killswitch Engage's "The End of Heartache" album. Haunting lyrics, melodic verses, hard and heavy riffs. To me those albums would make an awesome soundtrack especially w/some of the melancholy undertones of both the lyrics and music itself and Dark Souls does give off that vibe at times
    vegan666
    vegan666
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vegan666 Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:07 am

In music, I would say it would have to be hopeless and bleak, possibly ethereal and naturalistic - bands like Wolves in the Throne Room, Altar of Plagues, Cult of Luna, Deathspell Omega or perhpas older Bohren und Der Club of Gore...

Or perhaps my Dark Souls project Abysswalker haha!
    Dustsgr

Post by Dustsgr Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:20 pm

i will think about it thats a really cool question ...

off the top of my head hm

( A song of ice and fire is now Very Very Very popular & huge )

(Dark Souls is indeed as awesome but it is for sure not as popular or lengthy imo)

hm

oh yes

a movie

ZATOICHI. (2003) watch it.
    jimmyc0341
    jimmyc0341
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by jimmyc0341 Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:08 pm

Dustsgr wrote:i will think about it thats a really cool question ...

(Dark Souls is indeed as awesome but it is for sure not as popular or lengthy imo)

hm

oh yes

a movie

Zatoichi The Blind Swordsman is an awesome movie. 13 Assassins was just as good and as for A Song of Ice and Fire, its because of the tv show. Unfortunately 70%of the people who watch it have never read the books which imo, the book series, is a definitive work of art and 10x better than the show. Sometimes I wish everyone was a fan of reading because there are so many great and important events/characters/places/etc. that are left out of the show and most fans will never know what really happens or who the characters really are. Don't get me wrong though, I do love the Game of Thrones tv show but they seriously can't hold a candle to the book series
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:10 pm

The Monalisa. After so many deaths, you don't know if you should be crying or laughing Shrug
    vegan666
    vegan666
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vegan666 Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:12 pm

jimmyc0341 wrote:
    Dustsgr wrote:i will think about it thats a really cool question ...

hm

oh yes

a movie

Zatoichi The Blind Swordsman is an awesome movie. 13 Assassins was just as good and as for A Song of Ice and Fire, its because of the tv show. Unfortunately 70%of the people who watch it have never read the books which imo, the book series, is a definitive work of art and 10x better than the show. Sometimes I wish everyone was a fan of reading because there are so many great and important events/characters/places/etc. that are left out of the show and most fans will never know what really happens or who the characters really are. Don't get me wrong though, I do love the Game of Thrones tv show but they seriously can't hold a candle to the book series

This. While I am a fan of the show, the books are infinitely better, and a fantastic work of fiction. In fact, I want to re-read them at some point.
    Dustsgr

Post by Dustsgr Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:36 pm

i can so easily see this thread getting into an Ice and Fire / Game of thrones rant so lets watch it .......... ;D

last post about it tho

Look , i honestly cant compare these 2 and this is the reason why

i believe i belong in the Majority of the people who FIRST watched the show and Then got the books for A ) yea i like a good read B ) I cant wait any longer and assholes are spoiling everything on the web

so this is very very crucial , u see what i mean , the series was So good that made me get the my claws on the books and digest them as good snacks

atm i am in book 4 at the 3/4 and i just dont read it quickly cause i dont want it to end and then have to wait 2-3 freakin years for the Winds of Winter to publish

The books had so many Jaw Droping moments and they are so well written in so many ways , the songs are good , the catch phrases are good the characters are amazing seriously i love them but in order to appreciate the read at 100% i need a dictionary , one small unknown word to me can rest me from the special feeling of details we all expierience as concious or unconcious little thoughts and actions.

SO

if i had to compare the books to the series i would Tie them.

and i have to say that this is the best adaptation i have watched from book to screen

2 last things

i watched the show first and all of the characters on screen are in my head when am reading.

i think the casting is really good by the way

2) i really hate that this will sound demeaning for GRRM whose work i respect and value and besides these books i think that the feedback he gives from interviews and conventions is really important , i love that he is a very accesible writer.....

his sex scenes

damn when i read his sex scenes in the books i always picture him writing perverting stuff i get so discusted its really bad

i am like totally sunk into this fantasy world and when a sex scenes is coming up suddenly GRRM appears with a type writter talking about P*ssies and C*cks its gross

altho some scenes were written well for me

SPOILER ALERT IF YOU HAVENT READ BOOK (SEASON) THREE
    and to sum up my favourite scene is a love scene it is Yggrite dying

PS: my favourite character is Arya Stark

PS2 : sorry for the length of the post but yeah am a big fan of the books and the series.
    Dustsgr

Post by Dustsgr Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:51 pm

and to stay on topic once again i go for ZATOICHI

1) its very well made / cinematography /screenplay / acting / action / dialogue / comic characters

2)its dark (main character is blind and badass.)

3)its about killing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:00 am