Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
undead lee
LOLRagezzz
strangejoy
Gol
ErrJon6661
iAnnihilates
10 posters

PVP Armour Selection - Basics

iAnnihilates

PVP Armour Selection - Basics Empty PVP Armour Selection - Basics

Post by iAnnihilates Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:07 am

Hey guys im new here and im just trying to share some of my newfound knowledge with anyone looking for it (new players in particular). here goes nothing haha

ARMOR SELECTION
    Armour selection is based on 2 factors in my opinion- the weapon you are using and the speed that you wanna move. Big heavy tanked out guys with tons of armor are easy to backstab, while guys who use little armor generally get hit harder and dont repel as much damage. My solution is this: if you are going to use a weapon that is extremely heavy or slow, like the Zweilhander or Greatsword, you probably want powerful armor to mitigate the power of the backstabs. this is because either way, with a slow heavy weapon you are going to get backstabbed if you miss. Its going to happen a ton just simply because your weapon is slow to recover if you dont connect on the primary hits. I am going to discuss your weight and its role in combat in a bit, but as far as armor selection in general, its gotta be something your comfortable with.

ARMOR WEIGHT
    Your weight of the things you carry has a very large role in your personal well being. The 2H weilders in here that PVP will tell you that you want higher weight, because with more weight comes more poise which is basically your ability to resist becoming knocked off balance.
    As far as i can tell (I may be incorrect on this, if so then its my error) if you take your max weight and multiply it by 0.3, you will get the max weight to roll and move at your fastest. If you take your max weight and multiply it by 0.5, you get the max weight to move at a decently fast rate with your rolls still being quite agile. anything over .5 will cause you to move like a slug which isnt exactly good for pvp because it leads to faster enemies taking advantage of you, and unless your stamina bar stretches across the screen, you cant chase faster people down. Your armor weight should be determined on how fast you want to move. Personally, i use Havel's legs and a Havel's ring and Havel's shield but not the platebody because it allows me to move relatively fast and not lose poise over quick hits. I suggest you keep yourself as light as you can, but if you wanna be a tank that is okay sometimes if you have the right stats.

ITEM SLOTS THAT YOU SHOULDNT FILL UP
    These are item slots you shouldnt fill up because they **** your weight.

LEFT HAND SLOT 2 - you dont need 2 different shields. if you use this slot your basically throwing 4-20 Kg down the drain on something you arent using.
    CHESTPLATE ARMOR - this is optional if you arent going for the full tank look, but if you are going for a .5 speed kind of guy, then use the platebody for extra protection.
    GAUNTLETS - this is optional too, but if your sacrificing weight for gauntlets, you will screw yourself over a ton. Their limited protection really doesnt make up for the weight they waste.
    HELMET - this really should never be used unless you are going for a full tank look. if you are looking to stay light, never use a helmet.

Another thing i wanna point out is that if you have your left and right hand slots filled up, it uses some of your weight. the only way to decrease weight is by completely unequipping the armor or weapon.

I hope you all learned a little something by reading this. Hit me up with any questions and please comment on this thread to tell me how i did. cya
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

PVP Armour Selection - Basics Empty Re: PVP Armour Selection - Basics

Post by ErrJon6661 Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:15 am

Not to be condescending, but a lot of this information is pretty common knowledge.

You're equip weight equations are off, you get the best movement speed when you are under 25% of your total burden, second best while under 50% total burden and the slow speed when under 75% total burden.

As far as what slots to use... its really up to what kind of build you have..
    Gol
    Gol
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Gol Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:34 am

"These are item slots you shouldnt fill up because they **** your weight."

"LEFT HAND SLOT 2 - you dont need 2 different shields. if you use this slot your basically throwing 4-20 Kg down the drain on something you arent using."

And what if I got 2 weps in Right hand, a shield left hand and I need a catalyst ?
    It goes in left hand 2.
    The left hand is not for shields only man.

"CHESTPLATE ARMOR - this is optional if you arent going for the full tank look, but if you are going for a .5 speed kind of guy, then use the platebody for extra protection.
    GAUNTLETS - this is optional too, but if your sacrificing weight for gauntlets, you will screw yourself over a ton. Their limited protection really doesnt make up for the weight they waste.
    HELMET - this really should never be used unless you are going for a full tank look. if you are looking to stay light, never use a helmet.
    "
    Look Skyward

So, everybody's going naked with fists only (yeah weps makes you heavier).

Last edited by Baal-Avatar on Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Flaming)
    strangejoy
    strangejoy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by strangejoy Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:15 am

Except for aesthetic reasons, you should never simply not fill your armor or weapon slots. If you're concerned about weight, there are a number of exceptionally light armors that afford pretty decent protection. The black sorcerer set, for instance, clocks in at a grand total of 4.5 weight, with individual pieces weighing as little as 0.7 units. The hollow soldier waistcloth offers poise and protection at a weight of merely 1.5. Catalysts, talismans, and hands (pyro, dark) also can be equiped at almost no weight cost.
    iAnnihilates

Post by iAnnihilates Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:54 am

The entire reason for this was because it was basic knowledge. i dont use magic at all, Im basically giving advice to people who are starting out on pvp. as far as a melee person, you never use both shield slots. And if you have a shield equipped and dont use it, it weighs you down and your not using it which makes the whole thing pointless. i only wear platelegs and sometimes very light gauntlets, with a shield and then my choice of two swords. Im not preaching the way the game has to be played, im giving guidelines that i use to help people who arent as skilled at the game learn to play and give them something that they can follow. If your gonna join and spam hate, thats fine but honestly the title even says its BASIC. I'm not developing some new strategy never seen by man before. So if you already know this, congrats your not a noob. but when your level 20 and getting invaded, chances are you dont know half this **** if its your first time playing the game.
    LOLRagezzz
    LOLRagezzz
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by LOLRagezzz Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:11 am

Easy bud, hes a new member who has come to share his knowledge.
    Granted to us this may be common knowledge but its the effort that counts.

Last edited by Baal-Avatar on Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Flaming)
    Gol
    Gol
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Gol Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:52 am

I'm not "hating".
    I'm just saying that those "advices" are wrong even for a "noob", sayin to them that they must wear practically no armor is stupid.
    If they're noobs they won't be able to dodge everything so they better have enough defenses to take some hits.

And the game is out since like... 5 months.
    There's not a lot of new players and if they're searching for help there's the wikis, videos, etc.

I'm aware that he surely wanted to help but the majority of the users in this section are experienced players or, at least, they already have the basics.
    iAnnihilates

Post by iAnnihilates Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:41 am

Gol, if you cant dodge anything than chances are you shouldnt play the game because your gonna get bent over and banged. Also, most people i play against either wear what i described above, or they use robes in place of the items. I just wanted to post this incase anyone ran into it and thought it was interesting or helpful. It clearly says basics in the title, so thank you for stating the obvious that they are just that - basics.
    undead lee
    undead lee
    Regular
    Regular

Post by undead lee Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:16 pm

Hi Annihilates,
    I'm a "Noob" - yeah the games been out for 5 months but i bought the limited edition version just over a week ago - and i love it.....
    RPG's at this level are new to me and i have been using this website for info for about a week, its priceless and i must admit its the first ever time (i've been playing games since ZX81 days) i have ever had to use a web site for reference and guidance.
    I find most posts on here to be very advanced but if i ask a question the great guys (and girls) on here help me out. I started my first topic "A Newbies Tale" for people like me - a complete novice - so mate - thank you for your guidance, members have ranted on about how basic your suggestions are but for me it was an insight into options so THANK YOU.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:24 pm

I annihilates, it's a decent idea to do this, but try to keep your information accurate when you do it happy

25% for fast roll, mention of DWGR would also be good i think, in fact ring neglection is a bit bad here.

on that note also, recommendation of 50% with DWGR or 25% weight should be included. In most people's experience as im sure others will mention, being anything slower than max isnt good enough for PvP.

in terms of offhand mentioning i the idea of dual wielding, maybe off hand catalyst or a spear, or even the use of certain effect shields while 2 handing a weapon.

Also rename this item selection in PvP, because you do more than just recommend armour choice i think happy

to anyone who thinks or has flamed/abused whatever this guy please don't. The whole reason the wiki and forums are here is primarily to help people, and anything to aid that i think should be encouraged, not ridiculed Point Forward

Last edited by Serious_Much on Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:29 pm

iAnnihilates wrote:

or you can wear mask of father for negative weight.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:07 pm

Glutebrah wrote:
    iAnnihilates wrote:

or you can wear mask of father for negative weight.

Yep, he is right, iAnnihilates, I appreciate your effort, but as much said, try to check ALL of your info is completely accurate, and also try to add comments on strategies for people, like Much said, a comment about DWGR when talking about burdens would be great for newbies who want to be fast but use medium armor.

PS: I voted your rep up, I see you're trying to help the community.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:13 pm

I agree chiz, +1 in goodwill for the future
    iAnnihilates

Post by iAnnihilates Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:36 pm

i have had the game for a little over 3 weeks and have learned alot. thank you for corrections, as i believe it should be 25 percent for fastest roll. i am just starting out, just like all of you. i just wanted to help people and give people a post that was coming from a player just like them.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:32 pm

I fight naked most of the time

This means I'm a noob? I guess not...

This thread is very interesting, as the topics says, we are here to discuss builds and tatics, and with this thread we can discuss armor styles and weight

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 am