Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Carphil
Scudman_Slayer
aceluby
theAnimus
Eliteknight
Darkson
strangejoy
11 posters

I hate invading Japanese players

aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

I hate invading Japanese players - Page 3 Empty Re: I hate invading Japanese players

Post by aceluby Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:05 pm

meridam99 wrote:Link to how the architecture of the internet is setup (if you like reading)

http://www.livinginternet.com/i/ia_tools_top.htm

Also there are Dual Band Routers you can purchase that you can configure this way:

1. On one channel or band your PS3 and configure that channel with priority for all incoming and outgoing traffic
    2. On the second channel or band, all other devices.

Or you could just turn all your other devices off...

This would still have minimal effect because of the time it takes to send data across the globe, which is the heart of the problem when talking about dueling people on the other side of the world.
    Darkson
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

I hate invading Japanese players - Page 3 Empty Re: I hate invading Japanese players

Post by Darkson Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:09 pm

aceluby wrote:
    Darkson wrote:
    aceluby wrote:Two things cause lag. Distance and bandwidth. Distance is the other side of the world and cannot be changed. Bandwidth is controlled by your provider. Hopefully you can make your own conclusions on what you can do to reduce lag...

Well, thanks for a contructive reply!

Pvp against players from the US for example works just perfectly fine, no lag at all! Really!

It's really just always I get killed because of untakeable lag (which is 90% of the time) the player was from Japan. I would REALLY like the fact that I'm playing against people from Japan if it weren't such a pain in the back.

I don't know what internet connection would be recommend. I think mine is pretty descent but I will get a new one i guess.

It's the other half of the equation... distance. You can't control it.

Think of it like this. We have a pipeline of water that needs to go from here to Japan. If we have one pipeline that is 1m around, but is full all the time, increasing the pipeline to 5m around would help, but would still cause a lapse from when it left here and got to Japan. Now, if you have a 5m pipeline that isn't full all the time and increase it to 10m the time it would take the water to get to Japan would be the same.

Since you have no problems with US players the size of your pipe is probably fine which means you're in the second camp and no matter how much bandwidth you add it will always take the same amount of time to get there.

Make sense?

Yes, makes sense. And because I at least believe my connection is good enough, and all the lagstabbers seem to be from Japan, I thought it must be just the distance, and this thread made me curious on how to maybe avoid pvp over long distances... but, I guess you can't do nothing about it. Just quitting the game when invaded... sad
    strangejoy
    strangejoy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by strangejoy Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:10 pm

JohnnyHarpoon wrote:I feel the Japanese have gotten a little better when it comes to what we consider 'honorable PvP' lately, but I'm pretty sure their internet connections are simply better than ours (America's).

Either way, if you're truly getting frustrated, try Co-Oping instead - the Japanese pwn PvE.

I'm certain their internet connections are better than ours, and Japan's population is pretty densely packed together, so they don't have major distance issues among themselves. In other words, I bet that their pvp is awesome when they're facing on another. On the other hand, when they face people in the US or Europe, it probably looks like we're just standing around and swinging into thin air.
    meridam99
    meridam99

Post by meridam99 Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:11 pm

aceluby wrote:
    meridam99 wrote:Link to how the architecture of the internet is setup (if you like reading)

Also there are Dual Band Routers you can purchase that you can configure this way:

1. On one channel or band your PS3 and configure that channel with priority for all incoming and outgoing traffic

This would still have minimal effect because of the time it takes to send data across the globe, which is the heart of the problem when talking about dueling people on the other side of the world.

I hear what you are saying, but for those individuals that use Vonage or Magic Jack it is difficult to just shut everything off, and for those that are on their PC's or tablets while on their PS3, for about $100 US dollars you can get a router that will prioritize your traffic.
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:14 pm

meridam99 wrote:
    aceluby wrote:

I hear what you are saying, but for those individuals that use Vonage or Magic Jack it is difficult to just shut everything off, and for those that are on their PC's or tablets while on their PS3, for about $100 US dollars you can get a router that will prioritize your traffic.

The point is that it will do little, if any, good against japanese players and if they aren't having these issues w/ US players the culprit is how long the data must travel and not the user.

If it's happening more often than not then I agree, giving the PS3 priority is a good first step.
    Darkson
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Darkson Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:17 pm

Even if I get a new awesome connection and have a bit of improvement then, but it would still noticeably lag, it would not solve the problem at all. Imo, you can only have a real fight (were skill matters, not just only hp/armor/critical hits) if there is at least no real noticeable lag. Just how I feel about it. But doesn't really matter if you're a heavy tank i guess.

Last edited by Darkson on Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
    meridam99
    meridam99

Post by meridam99 Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:18 pm

meridam99 wrote:

Configuring those settings is called QOS - Quality of Service.
    Darkson
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Darkson Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:21 pm

strangejoy wrote:
    JohnnyHarpoon wrote:I feel the Japanese have gotten a little better when it comes to what we consider 'honorable PvP' lately, but I'm pretty sure their internet connections are simply better than ours (America's).

Either way, if you're truly getting frustrated, try Co-Oping instead - the Japanese pwn PvE.

I'm certain their internet connections are better than ours, and Japan's population is pretty densely packed together, so they don't have major distance issues among themselves. In other words, I bet that their pvp is awesome when they're facing on another. On the other hand, when they face people in the US or Europe, it probably looks like we're just standing around and swinging into thin air.

Yeah, they must think we are all just bad at this game (I'm not THAT bad I think silly )
    strangejoy
    strangejoy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by strangejoy Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:55 pm

Great suggestions, Meridam. Unfortunately, the distance problem is insurmountable and probably accounts for a large portion of the lag between the US and Japan. If only Namco or Sony allowed us to filter online interactions by location.
    Darkson
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Darkson Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:59 pm

If only...
    meridam99
    meridam99

Post by meridam99 Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:26 pm

Darkson wrote:Even if I get a new awesome connection and have a bit of improvement then, but it would still noticeably lag, it would not solve the problem at all. Imo, you can only have a real fight (were skill matters, not just only hp/armor/critical hits) if there is at least no real noticeable lag. Just how I feel about it. But doesn't really matter if you're a heavy tank i guess.

I am sorry that the point I was trying to make was not clear, I re-read my post and I couldn't even figure out my point.

What I was trying to say is that if there are things you can do, albeit small things, to increase your capability, capacity, efficiency, and effectiveness, I would do so.

My overall point is this, if there is a way to improve something, however marginal the improvement, it is in the best interest of the person to take advantage of the improvement.

Plus think how much better it would be for a US user connecting to another US user!
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:29 pm

These are the negatives of not having dedicated servers and separate games for each region like they did with Demon's Souls. The positives being the servers will never be taken down and no matter where you are you can always find someone online. I'd like a P2P system like we have now with dedicated regional games. Yes, you'll have less action at odd times, but the lag would be much more tolerable. Maybe next game.
    Darkson
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Darkson Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:11 pm

meridam99 wrote:
    Darkson wrote:Even if I get a new awesome connection and have a bit of improvement then, but it would still noticeably lag, it would not solve the problem at all. Imo, you can only have a real fight (were skill matters, not just only hp/armor/critical hits) if there is at least no real noticeable lag. Just how I feel about it. But doesn't really matter if you're a heavy tank i guess.

I am sorry that the point I was trying to make was not clear, I re-read my post and I couldn't even figure out my point.

What I was trying to say is that if there are things you can do, albeit small things, to increase your capability, capacity, efficiency, and effectiveness, I would do so.

My overall point is this, if there is a way to improve something, however marginal the improvement, it is in the best interest of the person to take advantage of the improvement.

Plus think how much better it would be for a US user connecting to another US user!

Yes, agreed. Of course!

But I'm not sure if I got the last sentence you wrote. Were you just pointing out that at least pvp would be even more awesome with someone in your region with better connection (indeed)? Or did I get that wrong? Sorry if I missed something there. Thanks for the input.

(Note: I live in Austria)
    meridam99
    meridam99

Post by meridam99 Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:58 pm

Darkson wrote:Yes, agreed. Of course!

But I'm not sure if I got the last sentence you wrote. Were you just pointing out that at least pvp would be even more awesome with someone in your region with better connection (indeed)? Or did I get that wrong? Sorry if I missed something there. Thanks for the input.

(Note: I live in Austria)

I meant for US players who get a QOS enabled router that connect with US players. Sorry for the confusion.
    Darkson
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Darkson Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:14 pm

I get confused very easily. happy Too much backround apps running in my head. I need some sleep.

Good night (or whatever)!
    Baynay
    Baynay

Post by Baynay Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:56 pm

I made a full day of PvP session with 2 of my chars in Kiln, checked for PSN profiles for every one I did fight.
    Japanese players were for the most perfectly fair, the end of my session was against Americans only, and it was the worst, I had everything, backstab when I'm bowing to them, 3vs1 on spawning point, 2vs1 + TWoP on spawning, taunt, sure this is not all the players, but hell it was a majority of them.
    I sure prefer to face someone with a lag issue to deal with, than someone making the pvp of this game useless.
    Darkson
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Darkson Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:16 pm

Baynay wrote:I made a full day of PvP session with 2 of my chars in Kiln, checked for PSN profiles for every one I did fight.
    Japanese players were for the most perfectly fair, the end of my session was against Americans only, and it was the worst, I had everything, backstab when I'm bowing to them, 3vs1 on spawning point, 2vs1 + TWoP on spawning, taunt, sure this is not all the players, but hell it was a majority of them.
    I sure prefer to face someone with a lag issue to deal with, than someone making the pvp of this game useless.

This thread is in no way supposed to be about who acts "more fair" in pvp. It is about how lag that is caused by long distances can be a big problem.

I personally would never like to have lag issues rather than an "unfair" fight.

And doing everything the game allows you to to win in a fight is never unfair! The game makes the rules, not the players! (I would never try to kill someone as he's spawning though)

Lag is unfair! Because it is never supposed to be there! On your screen it looks like your opponent is teleporting behind you, on his screen it looks like you were just standing around, not reacting in time, like you would be just bad at the game.

I'm just helpless when a japanese is invading me. For example, I get invaded, we do a bow and everything and then we run towards each other. I'm dancing around with him for like half a minute being so scared, but then I try to hit him with my demon spear poking from behind my shield, because that seems to be the safest way for me to engage laggers. But I just can't hit him, altough it looks like. Then I decide to just poke him like mad, holding the spear in both hands. It looks like I hit him on screen and the lightning animation is there, but nothing happens to him or his health bar, instead he's suddenly teleporting behind me. After I managed somehow that he could not pull off a second backstab, we are dancing around again for like another minute. With like 5% health left I'm thinking I should better run now and try to use an Estus. I start moving backwars to get him as far away from me as possible. As he is about 5 metres away from me, I turn around and start running for my life, but, you guessed it: stabbed again! Seemingly out of nowhere!

This is like every fight goes for me with a japanese. And it could be so much fun... 😢

Didn't you ever experience it like that?

Last edited by Darkson on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
    meridam99
    meridam99

Post by meridam99 Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:47 pm

I believe, correct me if I am wrong, but the purpose of this thread was to see if there was anything that could be done "tech" in nature that could improve lag issues. Singling out Japanese, US, or EU players based on PVP style in my opinion is not only wrong, but also stereotypical. Don't use blanket statements like this as it may offend someone.
    strangejoy
    strangejoy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by strangejoy Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:50 pm

meridam99 wrote:I believe, correct me if I am wrong, but the purpose of this thread was to see if there was anything that could be done "tech" in nature that could improve lag issues. Singling out Japanese, US, or EU players based on PVP style in my opinion is not only wrong, but also stereotypical. Don't use blanket statements like this as it may offend someone.

That's exactly right. It's in everyone's interest to deal with lag. The only reason I "hate invading Japanese players" is that they're half-way around the world, resulting in a teleportation fest.
    Darkson
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Darkson Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:56 pm

I feel like it does not really matter how often we are going to explain the purpose of this thread again and again...
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:22 pm

Should just not bump it
    Darkson
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Darkson Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:35 pm

:|

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:26 am