What is a 'Gamer'?

    Share
    avatar
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 25
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    Re: What is a 'Gamer'?

    Post by Serious_Much on Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:09 pm

    morte wrote:
    Serious_Much wrote:
    morte wrote:Guys, I've figured out what a "gamer" is. It's people like us! People who spend all day arguing over the exact definition of a "gamer."

    This isn't an argument, it's an intellectual and philosophical discussion winking

    Well, argument is just a term that means discussion between people of different views. You may be mixing it up with fight.


    So let me ask: do you think casuals, e.g. people who only do things like angrybirds and avoids all other games, should be included in the gamer category?

    Discussion-
    an act or instance of discussing; consideration or examination by argument, comment, etc., especially to explore solutions; informal debate.

    Discussion is a broader term than you think. It's very much appropriate here, more so than argument as it includes arguing, as well as other forms of exploring ideas.

    Anyways, I consider people who just play angry birds probably couldn't have the level of interest and desire to play games that people I would class as gamers have.


    _________________
    PSN and other stuff:
    PSN: HolyPK9 "You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"

    Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

    Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

    Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

    PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    avatar
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1999
    Reputation : 40
    Join date : 2012-12-29
    Location : The nether regions

    Re: What is a 'Gamer'?

    Post by densetsushun on Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:06 pm

    You'd be surprised the level of dedication it takes to play Angry Birds. That said, here's a Merriam-Webster definition of games:
    Spoiler:

    1
    a (1) : activity engaged in for diversion or amusement : play (2) : the equipment for a game
    b : often derisive or mocking jesting : fun, sport
    2
    a : a procedure or strategy for gaining an end : tactic
    b : an illegal or shady scheme or maneuver : racket
    3
    a (1) : a physical or mental competition conducted according to rules with the participants in direct opposition to each other (2) : a division of a larger contest (3) : the number of points necessary to win (4) : points scored in certain card games (as in all fours) by a player whose cards count up the highest (5) : the manner of playing in a contest (6) : the set of rules governing a game (7) : a particular aspect or phase of play in a game or sport
    b plural : organized athletics
    c (1) : a field of gainful activity : line (2) : any activity undertaken or regarded as a contest involving rivalry, strategy, or struggle ; also : the course or period of such an activity (3) : area of expertise : specialty 3
    4
    a (1) : animals under pursuit or taken in hunting; especially : wild animals hunted for sport or food (2) : the flesh of game animals
    b archaic : pluck
    c : a target or object especially of ridicule or attack —often used in the phrase fair game
    Obviously we're looking at definitions 1a1 or 3a1, under that description Angry Birds wholly fits the bill as a game. A gamer should be someone that enjoys a game, specifically a videogame. Whether or not you distinguish between hardcore gamers or not is up to you(such as distinguishing between hardcore fans of any sport and casual fans), but a gamer is a gamer, whether he or she is a Farmville addict or a full on, retro gaming, DkS playing gamer.


    _________________
    George Takei:
    Here's a little Internet tip: If you feel offended by something someone else posts, remember two simple rules:

    1) It's not about you.
    2) If you try to make it about you, you'll sound ridiculous.

    Steve Jobs:
    Almost everything--all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure--these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.
    avatar
    ADirtySlate
    Regular
    Regular

    Posts : 81
    Reputation : 3
    Join date : 2013-03-30
    Age : 20
    Location : Left of Center

    Re: What is a 'Gamer'?

    Post by ADirtySlate on Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:14 pm

    I would say that there are many different levels of gamers out there, like many have said here before. However, I believe that it is more than simply the amount of time you put into a game or the type of game that you play. I'll put how I define the many terms below.

    NOT A GAMER:

    These people may not play games or they many play a few. The most basic way I can put this is into why they play in the first place. We "gamers" usually seek video games as a primary source of entertainment. These people could play anything from Nintendogs to Dark Souls, and they could still be in the same category. Their primary source of entertainment is something different: TV, books, friends, playing outside, philosophy, etc. They only play video games when all or most other mediums are exhausted or another form of their entertainment comes into play (such as their friend asking them to go a round with them in Street Fighter).

    -Playing based on circumstance, not interest

    CASUAL:

    Let me start by saying that I do not find this a derogatory term, as I'm sure most of us here don't. These people are usually based on the types of games they play, but I will say that I disagree. A "casual," in my opinion, is one who generally does not know much about games, but frequently plays them. This can easily play into the types of games mentioned as "casual," e.g. Call of Duty, FIFA, and Angry Birds, due to their hand-holding, simple controls, or tutorials. I say that it is more in-depth than that. For instance, say someone plays Dark Souls, who I will call "Dave." Dave enjoys Dark Souls a lot, and plays it frequently. He has reached and beaten NG+7 on it and is a great fan of the PVP in this game. However, he does not think that Dark Souls even has that much of a story, and if you asked him about the backstory of, say, Gough, he says he does not know. This is where Dave falls short of being a hardcore gamer, in my opinion. He takes gaming as far as it goes: a game. He simply plays it and does not think more of anything. It is not a difference of skill, the game he plays, or even his opinion on games. He simply does not take that much of an interest of games beyond its base level.

    -Plays games as a primary form of entertainment
    -Does not know much about a game beyond what it shows

    HARDCORE:

    A hardcore, as you probably know due to the previous paragraph, is one who takes his or her love of video games to the next level. A hardcore will (usually) participate in the fandom of what he or she loves, and will have a logical discussion of it. Above having discussions of weapons, stories, etc, the hardcore will look beyond the literal meaning of each situation: deconstructing situations, finding hidden meanings, plotting great situations in his or her head, etc. Basically, to be a hardcore gamer in my eyes, you need to find entertainment in a game beyond what is presented to you: that is why I still find some games casual-oriented, but one who plays only those games can be hardcore.

    -Plays games as primary form of entertainment
    -Derives enjoyment from a game beyond simply playing it.
    avatar
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 25
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    Re: What is a 'Gamer'?

    Post by Serious_Much on Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:13 pm

    Okay, your post is interesting, but lets challenge your ideology here- Le me.

    I play games quite a lot, but are not my primary source of entertainment- that being tv or secondarily manga. I mainly only play when friends tell me to, or if I've just got an inkling, new game out etc. According to this, I'm not a gamer

    However, I play games a shed load still, and I find deeper enjoyment from jsut playing a game, the setting, scene etc. However i think dark souls story is fairly shambolic (im being a **** here about the difference between the story and lore.

    Anyways, looking at your categories, I fit very well into all 3 in places. What am I, do you think?


    _________________
    PSN and other stuff:
    PSN: HolyPK9 "You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"

    Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

    Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

    Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

    PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    avatar
    morte
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 484
    Reputation : 12
    Join date : 2013-02-20
    Age : 24

    Re: What is a 'Gamer'?

    Post by morte on Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:21 pm

    You are hybreed. The evolution of gamers, the transcendental gaming master!


    A hardcore gamer also can fit into the other categories based on the description given, but he also goes outside of them based on interest and fits best into the hardcore mode. Thus, you are hardcore since it more fully describes you.


    _________________


    GFWL ID: SnowPillar
    avatar
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1737
    Reputation : 67
    Join date : 2012-12-10
    Age : 24
    Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

    Re: What is a 'Gamer'?

    Post by Sloth9230 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:37 pm

    A nerd... lol just kidding.


    _________________
    Some people wrestle with their personal demons. I stabbed mine in the back of the head. He was a bleeder....
    C'mon, Everybody! Do The Black Mage!
    PSN-Name: Sloth9230
    avatar
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 961
    Reputation : 48
    Join date : 2012-12-09
    Age : 25

    Re: What is a 'Gamer'?

    Post by Saturday-Saint on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:34 pm

    Somebody who plays a lot of video games.


    _________________
    Joking aside.
    avatar
    KingSeekerCow
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 154
    Reputation : 3
    Join date : 2013-01-24
    Age : 26
    Location : California

    Re: What is a 'Gamer'?

    Post by KingSeekerCow on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:47 pm



    But in all seriousness, A "Gamer" is an individual who would spend money on games or activities that they feel brings the most enjoyable to them.
    I think Casual/Hardcore do(not) exist. Here are my reasons;

    There are games out there which are considered Sandbox's; Saints Row, Grand Theft Auto, Prototype, and many others. I would consider these games in the casual categorizes in the sense; I will play these games on a blue moon or a day that I did not want to actually be actively engaged enough.
    Hardcore games are games that have a MLG feel to them; RTS games, Shooters(Battlefield/Call of Duty), Forza(The racing community), and others. Because people invest a lot of time to get better and actually win stuff.
    There are games in between these two categorizes; Dark/Demon Souls, World of Warcraft and others because there are some individuals who just want to play while others want to be apart of the best.
    Then you have game that excellent stories and so forth.

    ----------------------
    Overall "Gamers" are individuals who are one of these categorizes if not in all; But we shouldn't shun people who just play Angry Birds; We should instead influence these individuals.
    avatar
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 961
    Reputation : 48
    Join date : 2012-12-09
    Age : 25

    Re: What is a 'Gamer'?

    Post by Saturday-Saint on Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:43 am

    You think that the dichotomy between hardcore and casual gamers is false because some games are hardcore, some are casual, some are neither, and some have good narrative?


    _________________
    Joking aside.
    avatar
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 25
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    Re: What is a 'Gamer'?

    Post by Serious_Much on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:00 am

    I think the biggest was error in calling battlefield and COD hardcore games Look Skyward

    Dark souls and demons are also hardcore, because difficulty and challenge is an essential part of them. The only essential in COD is that you much get suckered in to thinking 2 changes in an online mode merits a sequel.


    _________________
    PSN and other stuff:
    PSN: HolyPK9 "You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"

    Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

    Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

    Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

    PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    avatar
    KingSeekerCow
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 154
    Reputation : 3
    Join date : 2013-01-24
    Age : 26
    Location : California

    Re: What is a 'Gamer'?

    Post by KingSeekerCow on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:08 am

    When I mean Battlefield/Call of Duty is "Hardcore"; MLG hosts those games often because of the aspect of the human skill of getting better.

    The only thing I think is hardcore about the Souls series is the PVP. Because it is so unpredictable just like Battlefield and Call of Duty in the sense; One team or one person is going to react completely on the next invasion or deathmatch. You may agree or disagree on my meaning of "hardcore".

    If you disagree on my meaning of "hardcore", what is considered Hardcore to you, I may disagree.
    avatar
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

    Posts : 13287
    Reputation : 542
    Join date : 2012-02-01
    Age : 25
    Location : The Forest, Illinois

    Re: What is a 'Gamer'?

    Post by Tolvo on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:32 am

    I wouldn't call someone who plays Dark Souls 9 hours a day and does online tourneys a Hardcore Gamer.

    I'd call them a Hardcore Dark Souls Player.

    I'd call a Hardcore Gamer someone who owns a bunch of consoles, tons of games, players them all, knows a bunch about the industry and the gaming community in general.

    If you are Hardcore about something you are intensely dedicated to it.

    Just playing one game isn't being dedicated to all of Gaming, it's being dedicated to the one game.
    avatar
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 4185
    Reputation : 98
    Join date : 2012-07-22
    Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

    Re: What is a 'Gamer'?

    Post by GrinTwist on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:43 am

    A gamer? I would think it would be someone that plays videogames, since many people that play board-games are not referred to often as a 'gamer'.

    As far as hardcore goes I think it depends on how often the spend on videogames. Although I've never cared to be hardcore or a casual gamer.


    _________________
    Boring life? Join a cult.
    avatar
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

    Posts : 13287
    Reputation : 542
    Join date : 2012-02-01
    Age : 25
    Location : The Forest, Illinois

    Re: What is a 'Gamer'?

    Post by Tolvo on Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:00 am

    I like to say I'm casually hardcore. It's just pretentious enough for me to use it like an *******.
    avatar
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3008
    Reputation : 135
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 26
    Location : Canterlot

    Re: What is a 'Gamer'?

    Post by Reaperfan on Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:14 am

    Maneater_Mildred wrote:A gamer is someone passionate about games, games are more than just a way to kill time.
    Gamers will be happy to talk about games all night long, they even enjoy watching others play (but might complain if the mates hogging the control) those that are more casual in their game play are not so keen to talk games or watch others play.

    So yes someone who only plays angry birds could be classed as gamer, if they were passionate enough about it. (Of course if they tried talking to me about angry birds I would punch them in the nose)

    I wrote my post and then I realized it was just a longer-winded version of this. So here I am, doing that "using someone else's opinion as my own" thing :|


    _________________

    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." ~C.S. Lewis
    avatar
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

    Posts : 2525
    Reputation : 182
    Join date : 2012-01-19
    Age : 43
    Location : The 3rd place.

    Re: What is a 'Gamer'?

    Post by Maneater_Mildred on Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:21 am

    Yes! The honor of being quoted by reaper is overwhelming. lol!

    To put this question into a different context to explain my views better....

    What is a petrol head? (the car version of a gamer)

    Is it someone who drives a car? No!

    Is it someone who owns a car? No!

    I drive every day of the year and im not a petrol head, because im missing the passion a petrol head has.

    People can play games, even play them a lot and still not be a gamer, it's the passion that makes you 1.


    _________________
    01010111 01010100 01000110:
    01000001 00100000 01101000 01101001 01100100 01100100 01100101 01101110 00100000 01100100 01101111 01101111 01101101 00100000 01110011 01110000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 01110011 00100000 01101111 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001100 01101111 01110010 01100100 01110010 01100001 01101110 00101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01010011 01101000 01100001 01100100 01101111 01110111 00100000 01001100 01101111 01110010 01100100 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01001100 01101111 01110010 01100100 01110010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01101000 01100001 01110110 01100101 00100000 01100001 01110010 01110010 01101001 01110110 01100101 01100100 00100001
    avatar
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1999
    Reputation : 40
    Join date : 2012-12-29
    Location : The nether regions

    Re: What is a 'Gamer'?

    Post by densetsushun on Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:11 am

    Maneater_Mildred wrote:Yes! The honor of being quoted by reaper is overwhelming. lol!

    To put this question into a different context to explain my views better....

    What is a petrol head? (the car version of a gamer)

    Is it someone who drives a car? No!

    Is it someone who owns a car? No!

    I drive every day of the year and im not a petrol head, because im missing the passion a petrol head has.

    People can play games, even play them a lot and still not be a gamer, it's the passion that makes you 1.
    Except a petrol head ties in more closely to a(n indie) game dev than your run off the mill, glued to the chair video game enthusiast. I think it's a much better analogy if you take a football fan. Fans of one club calls fans of other clubs fake fans only supporting the popular team, while others go on and on about the merits of putting foot to ball, at the end of the day a lot of them are invested enough to be called football fans. Similarly, gamers are gamers regardless of what one subset thinks of another.


    _________________
    George Takei:
    Here's a little Internet tip: If you feel offended by something someone else posts, remember two simple rules:

    1) It's not about you.
    2) If you try to make it about you, you'll sound ridiculous.

    Steve Jobs:
    Almost everything--all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure--these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.
    avatar
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

    Posts : 2525
    Reputation : 182
    Join date : 2012-01-19
    Age : 43
    Location : The 3rd place.

    Re: What is a 'Gamer'?

    Post by Maneater_Mildred on Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:53 am

    Yes^
    Petrol heads have the same kind of subsets, V8 fans, turbo fans etc but they all fit under the name petrol head. Same as your football fans.

    Likewise gamers can fit under lots of different subsets, they are still a gamer if that passion is there.


    _________________
    01010111 01010100 01000110:
    01000001 00100000 01101000 01101001 01100100 01100100 01100101 01101110 00100000 01100100 01101111 01101111 01101101 00100000 01110011 01110000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 01110011 00100000 01101111 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001100 01101111 01110010 01100100 01110010 01100001 01101110 00101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01010011 01101000 01100001 01100100 01101111 01110111 00100000 01001100 01101111 01110010 01100100 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01001100 01101111 01110010 01100100 01110010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01101000 01100001 01110110 01100101 00100000 01100001 01110010 01110010 01101001 01110110 01100101 01100100 00100001

    Sponsored content

    Re: What is a 'Gamer'?

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:01 am