Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Build advice needed~

Zephryl
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Build advice needed~ Empty Build advice needed~

Post by Zephryl Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:22 am

Okay, so, as the title says, I need a bit of advice on my build~

http://mmdks.com/1neu

I don't really like my first character, so I think I'll have a better time if I make a new character instead~

Notes:
    - Must mid Roll
    - I don't plan to PvP right now, since I have no Xbox Live, but I may in the future so please keep that in mind
    - If you change the armor, make sure I look good. Ugly armor isn't cool.

Feel free to ask any questions~
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Build advice needed~ Empty Re: Build advice needed~

Post by Automancer Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:51 am

Here's a revised version of your buid.
    I tried not to change your armor setup too much since i'm not sure what you think looks good.
    http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=473065303792180056

Things that were weird with your build:
    1. You don't need to equip two shields, just menu swap to whichever you need.
    2. 40 Str with MSGS has great scaling, no need for an elemental path. Also, split damage on elementals.
    3. Dark Magic scales more with Str so 50 int isn't a worthwhile investment. I believe the int scaling for the catalyst stops at 30. (Someone correct me if i'm wrong.) 40Str and 30 Int should do really well.

Things i changed:
    1. Manus Catalyst in the offhand, added a Handaxe to prevent bses.
    2. Gave you the Bellowing Dragoncrest ring. Switch to other rings depending on situation, most likely RTSR.
    3. Changed MSGS to standard upgrade path.
    4. Lowered Int to 30, increased Vit, End and Att to proper levels.
    5. Increased Dex to 10 so you can use the Demon Spear if you happen to come across a spear user.
    6. More poise, 55. You can resist a 2hr1 from greatswords, curved greatswords, small hammers and axes.

This would work greatly in PvE, PvP should be standard.
    Zephryl
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zephryl Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:29 am

Oh, the second shield was mainly because I had extra weight and so I could swap if I actually wanted to block things, since Silver Knight is vastly superior to GC shield. Was no point wasting the extra weight, after all. I'm pretty bad at menu swapping, so I figured it was probably better in the long run if I wanted the Stamina regen while attacking xD

Mugen seems to think the Manus Cat still scales after 30, since it goes from 236 at 30 Int, to 275 at 50. I'll wait for more people's opinions about this part though, I've been wrong before~ (Quite frequently, as it turns out)

And I don't mind the split damage, it means slightly less damage overall, but it also means that if somebody blocks they still take damage, rather than doing zero damage.

And yeah~ I had the Wolf's Ring for the extra poise, since I think that Arty set + Wolf Ring means I can't be stun locked...

Also, I won't be using the RTSR at all, I can't stand being on that low HP lol!
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:37 am

Fully upgraded the Grass Crest is a viable shield though, it's just enough to block most strong attacks.
    Zephryl
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zephryl Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:41 am

densetsushun wrote:Fully upgraded the Grass Crest is a viable shield though, it's just enough to block most strong attacks.

True~ Will take a long while to get it to 15 though, since I suck too much to do the Asylum's second run early on.
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:52 am

Zephryl wrote:Oh, the second shield was mainly because I had extra weight and so I could swap if I actually wanted to block things, since Silver Knight is vastly superior to GC shield. Was no point wasting the extra weight, after all. I'm pretty bad at menu swapping, so I figured it was probably better in the long run if I wanted the Stamina regen while attacking xD

Mugen seems to think the Manus Cat still scales after 30, since it goes from 236 at 30 Int, to 275 at 50. I'll wait for more people's opinions about this part though, I've been wrong before~ (Quite frequently, as it turns out)

And I don't mind the split damage, it means slightly less damage overall, but it also means that if somebody blocks they still take damage, rather than doing zero damage.

And yeah~ I had the Wolf's Ring for the extra poise, since I think that Arty set + Wolf Ring means I can't be stun locked...

Also, I won't be using the RTSR at all, I can't stand being on that low HP lol!

I would seriously advice not taking the elemental path unless you're fully devoted to Int. You are worrying too much about chip damage, how much can you deal before you get parried? You have dark magic to deal with those that hide behind their shields. It's entirely up to you, i won't tell you what is right or wrong but at least consider the improvements that have been suggested.

Also, +10 shield is more than enough. No need to go to +15.
    Don't be too reliant on your shields. They won't protect you forever.
    Zephryl
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zephryl Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:59 am

Yeah, if Int scales all the way to 50 with the Manus Cat, I might stick with Enchanted, since it'll take advantage of the full int.

But then I really need to think of it from mainly a PvE standpoint, since if I do end up PvPing it'll be in the future...

And I'm hoping not to rely on my shield, but there's no point in not upgrading it, unless I have another use for the two Slabs I can get.

Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:01 am

Well, whatever suits you best, i guess. I have no say in the matter.
    Zephryl
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zephryl Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:02 am

Yeah, still not sure which way to go... It's good to have options though Hurrah

A few days before I can play anyway, so I have plenty of time to decide~
    Zephryl
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zephryl Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:45 am

Okay. I've started playing this character so I need to get my build fully sorted before I get too far (I'm trying not to do anything that'll ruin any modifications people make, but I'm only just at the Gargoyles so easy to restart if needed).

I think I might bump up Dex to 10, so that it opens up more weapon options if I grow tired of the M-SGS, plus it means I can use a weapon stronger than my Reinforced Club hehe.

Any and all advice is appreciated~! Thanks Hurrah
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:15 am

http://mmdks.com/1o09
    This would be my personal suggestion.
    First off, we ditched the other shield, you don't need it. Best shields in the game are a Fire Grass Crest Shield (84% fire defense) and a Crest Shield (80% magic).

Catalyst in off hand. A main hand catalyst means your opponent KNOWS you are going to cast a spell at them. An off hand catalyst only means you're thinking about it. I've caught many good players at the fight club with Dark Bead just by offhanding my catalyst and then not shooting a spell for another 10-12 seconds.

Broadsword. Admittedly it's a damn good weapon. Greatswords are slow, and you'll need a faster weapon then the Manserpant to finish off weakened foes. The Broadsword is also good for general PvE combat.

I made Manserpant a +15, and gave you CMW. You lost 5 endurance so that we could grant you some extra attunement. Spells picked were CMW for extra damage, and White Dragons Breath because it's pretty much a TON of soul spears in PvE, and if you can aim it, your best friend in PvP.

In PvE, mobss hit 56 as a poise threshhold, 80, 99, 120, 143, and Unlimited (Or "inaccaccible" is a better term). Your 77 poise is useless, so I changed your helm to something light that also gives a magic power boost. When you PvP you'll quickly learn it's a lot better to dodge those ultra great weapons rather than tank them, so having the poise to do such is sort of a waste anyway. no matter how good the player, it's your mistake that gets you hit by those behemoths. (A good player just knows when to spot those mistakes, and how to force opportunities for them to occur to happen.)
    Zephryl
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zephryl Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:42 am

Yeah, I already would've ditched the second shield after I've played the toon for a while. I'm not blocking at all, and with a Cat in the offhand I'm hurling out spears before breaking noses with my R-Club~

Can't argue with any of your reasoning~ Is Homing Crystal Soulmass good in PvE as well? I've seen you do some awesome damage in PvP with it, but I haven't seen anyone using it in PvE before.

Gonna have to learn how to kill Gwyndolin so I can take his hat though, hehe. Never fought him before, should be interesting~

Also, gotta say I'm disappointed I still can't do a Pinwheel run at SL 1, despite having watched you do it half a dozen times (at least).

Thanks a lot for the advice, looks like I'll be going for this build unless someone else suggests better improvements before I start up again tomorrow lol!

I just got my Estus Flask to +2, so I think killing Lautrec and the Gargoyles will be on the agenda for tomorrow~ Then it'll be down, down, down to the swamps to do a very easy fight with my Sorcery~

Edit:
    Also, looks like I'll have a spare titanite Slab in that build, should I +15 my GC Shield? Or just keep it at 10?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:55 pm