Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
BusDriver210
swordiris
Paragon
Coryf2209
8 posters

How do I counter spear rollers?

Coryf2209
    Coryf2209
    Addicted
    Addicted

How do I counter spear rollers? Empty How do I counter spear rollers?

Post by Coryf2209 Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:37 am

Every once in a while, I come accross someone with full giants, often with a family mask, who will stab me with the tip of a dragonslayer spear, and ninja flip away, over and over and over until I'm dead. I know theres many a thread on this, but from what I've seen, it's either people saying they're easy to counter and aren't OP, without explaining HOW to counter it, or it turns into an argument as to whether or not spears are OP. The question however, often remains unanswered. there doesn't seem to be anything I can do, since the dragonslayer spear is the longest melee weapon in the game outside the demon spear, does relatively high damage, costs little stamina, and is really fast with it's swing speed and recovery. Coupled with high poise and ninja flips, so I often can rarely even hit them, much less stunlock/kill them. So I must ask, "What the *** do I do?" My usual toon has 50 in every combat stat and 99 END. If anyone has tips, lay them on me.
    Paragon
    Paragon
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

How do I counter spear rollers? Empty Re: How do I counter spear rollers?

Post by Paragon Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:19 am

Get the composite bow with poison arrows and Large arrows. If they want to fight you at a distance then just up the anty by fighting them at a greater distance. Granted you will have to be flipping to but if your patient you can just flip around hitting them with arrows, wait for them to flask, then BAM run in with your best backstab. If you know how I would recommend chainstabbing. Its not a glitch, just dirty. And sometimes there is nothing wrong with fighting a little dirty. twisted twisted twisted

Im not telling you it'll be easy but at this point its the best thing I can think of. Best of luck dude, I really hope you find something that works.
    swordiris
    swordiris
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by swordiris Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:23 am

Got to play it patiently.

A fight against a good spear user will be really dull if played right.

Try carefully getting close and parrying, bows work well too.
    BusDriver210
    BusDriver210

Post by BusDriver210 Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:41 am

As aforementioned above, Parrying can work wonders against spear users. I often find Dung Pie to be really nice and adds a great deal of pressure to your enemy. If you manage to get them toxic and play rather defensive your enemy will eventually make a mistake.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:58 am

Pull out your own spear, use a katana's running R1 (preferably the Washing Pole), pull out a bow or crossbow, or use magic/pyro/miracles.

The only way you'll be able to hit them if they're being smart about it is to give yourself equal range or to outrange them.
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:39 am

Grin asked about that exact spear last week: https://soulswiki.forumotion.com/t19453-countering-the-dragonslayer-spear

May find some useful tips there too.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:55 am

I had a hard time with spear users and I still think that a good spear users is undefeatable.

Anyway. The usual spear user spams R1, so just tank bs him, or parry his spam. It's really easy and the spear does little damage if you fail.

Outranging them with spells, ranged weapons, or your own spear/polearm is another good option. Be on the defence and punish their missed pokes.

It's generally bad idea to be offensive against a spear user. Yes, the fight will drag for several minutes even, but you will have higher chance to win if you're patient. That is unless you manage to get the spear user in a place with little space to maneuver. If that happens, just go and destroy the guy, because they need space to maneuver and keep distance from you. It's their greatest strength and their greatest weakness.

One thing about Dragonslayer Spear. If it's wielder starts to spam R1, don't block him with a medium shield with less Stability than 70, or he will break through and kill you. DSS does absurd Stamina damage on blocking and can deal with Crest shields with ease only by spamming.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:03 pm

I actually got pretty decent at parrying the DSS. The only weapon I can claim that about. I've heard some tips about range....here's another one.

Run. Now, I'm not saying be a coward and avoid the fight at all but Sentiel makes a good point about the environment being a factor in how good a spear user is. They need to be able to retreat to keep out of your range. Run to a location in which the fight is on your terms or that you can use to your advantage. In the forest for instance, spear are less useful in Alvina's hut, the stair well after the hut, the small drop off right before Sif's bridge, etc. Also, depending on your weapon choice you might be able to have options that a spear user won't. I once killed a spear user because he couldn't manage to avoid a tree. Not that he couldn't walk around it successfully. I mean he seemed to be trying. But I squirrel'd his ***. Every move he made I just mirrored it to keep the tree between us. Spears don't work so good through da tree. Great Scythe...do work purty good around da tree. And don't get me started on taking advantage of a good recoil animation from making your opponent hit a tree or wall.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:53 pm