Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Black Bow of Pharis or Composite Bow

Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Black Bow of Pharis or Composite Bow Empty Black Bow of Pharis or Composite Bow

Post by Dibsville Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:27 pm

For the most part, we consider the Composite Bow the best bow for PvP, and Black Bow of Pharis the best for PvE, at least I do anyway. Well, I recently did some testing, and it seems like Black Bow outdamages Composite. I tried thinking of ways of how this would work, and I only came up with one.

We know the Composite Bow has a range of 38, and the Black Bow has a range of 65. We already know that the further away the target is, the less damage a bow does. So what if we use that to say that our damage is effected by bow range. We'll call the middle of the bow range the "median". The median of the Composite Bow would be 19, where as the median of the Black Bow would be 32. Using this, we can determine that at these ranges, the bow does its natural damage, including scaling. This means that any more range will do less damage, and any less range will do more damage. Using this we can tell that the Black Bow's median is 13 more than the Composite Bow. This means that once the composite bow reaches its max range, it will do no damage. But the Black Bow will continue to do damage for 13 more range. Thus, at a further distance, it will always outdamage the Composite Bow.

But what if we look in the opposite direction.

Due to the range on the bows, the closer the target gets, the more extra damage it will take. This means that at 0 range, a target will take extra damage depended on how much you would have lost the other way. In other words, a Composite Bow fired at, say, 5 range, will receive extra damage of 14 range, so the damage lost at 33 range will instead be added to it. But what if we did this to the Black Bow. If we fire it at 5 range as well, we will get the extra damage it would have lost from a huge 59, 26 more range than the Composite Bow. This means that the Black Bow will do more damage at a very close range and at a further range, but the Composite Bow will do more damage in the median of the two ranges, which would be around 20. Anything more or less than that, and the Black Bow will do more damage, assuming your scaling is good.

But now we have the speed of the bows. Black Bow is slower than Composite Bow. This means that if we were to choose one for a PvP match, it would depend on how you plan on using it. If you plan on just going with two shots to poison your opponent, the Composite Bow is your best choice. If you're planning on using the bow as a main weapon, Composite. But if you're using it to snipe, hit someone running away, get one good shot in, Black Bow will be your best choice.

*Tested with Black Bow of Pharis +11 and Composite Bow +11
    40 DEX, 20 STR
    Oolacile Township melee enemies

If you think my idea is wrong in any way, please explain your idea or what you think I have done wrong, and I will change it accordingly.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Black Bow of Pharis or Composite Bow Empty Re: Black Bow of Pharis or Composite Bow

Post by LunarFog Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:35 pm

Are you sure you were hitting them in the same spots? Damage-wise: Body < Limb < Head.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Black Bow of Pharis or Composite Bow Empty Re: Black Bow of Pharis or Composite Bow

Post by Dibsville Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:36 pm

LunarFog wrote:Are you sure you were hitting them in the same spots? Damage-wise: Body < Limb < Head.
    Yes, I tested on the body portion, the head portion, then the limbs just to make sure. I also shot them in the body at several bow ranges so I would know what to expect from the extra damage.
    mugenis4real
    mugenis4real
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by mugenis4real Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:49 pm

Composite is the fastest. Forget about damage, when your in the heat of battle, you need to get off that shot with time enough to dodge a hit.

Composite Bow.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:53 pm

mugenis4real wrote:Composite is the fastest. Forget about damage, when your in the heat of battle, you need to get off that shot with time enough to dodge a hit.

Composite Bow.
    Yes, but this was comparing damage. I said in the end that if you were using a bow as a main weapon, go for the Composite Bow.
    mugenis4real
    mugenis4real
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by mugenis4real Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:18 pm

Dibsville wrote:
    mugenis4real wrote:Composite is the fastest. Forget about damage, when your in the heat of battle, you need to get off that shot with time enough to dodge a hit.

Composite Bow.
    Yes, but this was comparing damage. I said in the end that if you were using a bow as a main weapon, go for the Composite Bow.
    Ah ok, but then why not test out all the bows? That would be cool, a full on damage comparison chart.
    Fry1156
    Fry1156
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Fry1156 Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:45 pm

I use pharis bow for range and composite for up close.
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:47 pm

Black Bow of Pharis is way cooler, but I must side with Composite bow...speed is everything when dueling.
    Crossbows are better anyways ; )
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:52 pm

mugenis4real wrote:
    Dibsville wrote:

Composite Bow.
    Ah ok, but then why not test out all the bows? That would be cool, a full on damage comparison chart.
    Pharis outdamages Longbow, Composite outdamages Shortbow.
    Darkmoon takes 30+FTH and Moonlight Arrows to even begin to get good, even then, Composite and Pharis outdamage it.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:53 pm

For people who are saying the Composite is better for duels, read the bottom of the opening. I already stated that Composite is better if you're using it as a main weapon.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:59 am