Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Tolvo
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Rynn
7 posters

4 new games: approximately 400 hours.

Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

4 new games: approximately 400 hours. Empty 4 new games: approximately 400 hours.

Post by Rynn Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:20 am

I bought Tales of Vesparia, and all 3 of the Mass Effect's along with all their bonus content today!
    Fun, Lotsa fun.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

4 new games: approximately 400 hours. Empty Re: 4 new games: approximately 400 hours.

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:24 am

Is this all for you GfWL account?
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

4 new games: approximately 400 hours. Empty Re: 4 new games: approximately 400 hours.

Post by Tolvo Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:25 am

Tales of Ves I've heard is fun.

As for those three...

See my view on the Dark Knight Rises.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:09 am

Tolvo wrote:Tales of Ves I've heard is fun.

As for those three...

See my view on the Dark Knight Rises.
    Hey, good for you, but I couldn't resist the deal. All 3 of them for 40 dollars, with all their DLC packaged. That just was too good a deal. It's about 220 hours of gameplay I'd estimate.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:13 am

That is a good deal.

But I MUST MAKE IT KNOWN I WOULD TAKE THAT GOOD DEAL.

I'm grumpy.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:22 am

Tales of Vesperia was loads of fun. It's a shame I never finished it.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:04 am

I picked up the Mass Effect Trilogy not long ago myself, and I was really excited about it because I didn't really know anything about the series, and everybody I talked to said they were excited for me that I got to play em for the first time, but honestly I'm having a little trouble getting through ME1. I like just about everything about it except the combat, which I feel really lacks depth. You have virtually no control over your squad mates, who you really need to do smart things once you get into more serious firefights, and they have a tendency to either do nothing, or do things that are really dumb. It started bothering me to the point where I just ended up putting it down, which sucks because I'd love to get into the second and third ones, but I feel like I shouldn't before I finish the first one, which I can't seem to make myself pick back up. It's a vicious cycle. Hopefully you see something in it that I'm not.

It's really a shame, at least for me, because I enjoy every other aspect. The characters have depth, and are engaging, and entertaining to communicate with and learn more about. The equipment systems, item management, and bartering systems are enjoyable, the worlds are immersive, the non-party NPC's generally have interesting things to say. I just can't get past the clunky squad combat
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:13 am

You should try Kotor, it's what Mass Effect was based off of. It is semi-Turn Based, actions take up time. So you can set up what you want your teamates do by switching to them quickly, then selecting what you want them to do. Building a team that works well together is actually pretty important. Usually you end up building certain teamates up around your character and end up working on their stories in the process.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:42 am

I actually bought KotoR 2 off Steam awhile back, played for about 10 hours and then never picked it back up. That wasn't because of the game though, it was because I'm so busy with school work my senior year. I plan to pick it back up at some point and give it a more serious try when I get to it. I like Dragon Age a lot too, at least the first one, and that's what came after the Mass Effect 1 systems I think. The big difference in both of them is that you can take full control of any character if you need to, as well as set certain tactical routines. In ME1 you can either tell your team to take cover, at which point they'll go stand near the cover you want them to, usually without actually ducking into cover, and most of the time standing near it in the direction of incoming fire, or you can tell them to fall back, at which point they'll usually run into oncoming fire, or you can tell them to follow you, which they actually do. That's the only one. The other drawback to only being able to control Shephard is that when he dies, maybe because you were chasing around one of your dumbass NPC teammates while they're doing something dumb, the game is over, as opposed to other previous and later Bioware titles where it'll just jump you into another team member when your controlled character dies so you can try to correct what you did wrong. The other system just makes no sense, especially considering they'd already done it the other way with other games.

I've heard they really improved those systems in the ME sequels though, but like I said, I feel like if I just jump into the second one I'll be cheating myself out of something.
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:30 am

KOTOR 2 wasn't great to be honest. I'm a complete starwars nut and for a s.wars game to not impress me too much says a lot. KOTOR 1 now i loved that bloody game.

ME i surprisingly liked. ME1 those bloody mako missions, ME2 was like DA:2 they cut map sizes the mako bits but unlike DA:2 they got the balance right. ME3 was good apart from you know what, the multiplayer was surprisingly decent.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:01 pm

What I really disliked about DA2 was that you were trapped in that city, and on top of that they reused all the maps really blatantly, which made it feel even smaller. I intend to finish my run through ME1 at some point, but I just don't see the appeal of it that prompts so many people to geek out about it so much. Maybe it's because I didn't play it when it first came out? I dunno.

As far as KotoR, I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either. I didn't think anything was wrong with the systems, but I remember feeling like I wished there was more story injected into a lot of the running around you needed to do. I remember feeling at times like I was just running around just because.
    KingSeekerCow
    KingSeekerCow
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by KingSeekerCow Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:10 pm

KOTR 1&2 were good games. KOTR 1 is the better one of the two.

I have Mass Effect 1-3, with combined gameplay hour of 300+ hours. I have beaten that game so many times, I have lost count. Mass Effect / Mass Effect 2 / Mass Effect 3 ( In that order too haha,) were my favorite. All of the them have great sound tracks but 1/2 steal the show. Three has a great soundtrack but it towards the end of the game 3 has it.

Dragon Origins, had the great storytale like the Mass Effect series; Its Bioware(They have amazing storylines.) Jade Empire is another great Bioware game. Dragon Age 2 lack story/gameplay; I believe. It seem just a like a Hack-Slash RPG than a RPG.

I have heard great things about Tales of Vespia; but right now, I do not really have times for in-depth RPG's. I mean I can play Mass Effect and beat it in a weekend, but with JPRG; I need to invest a lot of time which I do not have.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:32 am

I've heard that both ways about KotoR. That the first one is far superior, and that the second one is far superior. I wanted to buy whichever I heard was better, and I think I was told the second one was right before I made my purchase. I don't really have a problem with it outside that it shows its age in some ways, but that's to be expected and isn't really a big deal
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:44 am

The second one has some better design choices in ways, such as how making a blaster focused character in the first game ended up with you having wasted early feats. The second had more travelling from place to place without much seeming to go on, but it also had some very fun quests and abilities.

They're both good, with +'s of their own. I'd say that Kotor 2 has more solid Gameplay, but Kotor 1 has an overall better story. I think Kotor 2 had 2 things which make it seem like less though. Overall, it's not too different from Kotor 1 so you just get that "Eh I've done this already" feel. 2nd, it is very unfinished. The game was rushed out and there is a good deal of cut content in the game making it feel unfinished at points. I won't spoil the ending, but the last half of the game has a lot of things/settings that are barely explained due to them having to push it out.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:15 am

Yeah, that was pretty much my only beef. After awhile I'd start feeling like I was running around for no reason, because they'd have you do so much of it before they'd inject plot elements
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:22 am

Yeah, they wanted more plot elements but it was rushed. I'm not saying, "Just overlook it!" It's something to notice at points in the game and does definitely effect the experience. If I remember correctly the PC version has modders that actually finished some of the coding unlocking some of the cut content and quests.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:46 am

It didn't hinder my experience really. I noticed it, but there was enough that was enjoyable to keep me playing. I was really enjoying the characters also, which I guess is to be expected with Bioware games. I'm excited to fill out my team and meet them all. The last one I got was the mechanic who served under the Jedi in the war. I can't remember any of the specifics of any of those things, but I didn't really play long enough to really understand what he was all about. I got to speak to the two you pick up before him at length though. The woman who becomes your master in force training, I'd say Jedi but I feel like I remember her saying that she wasn't one, and Han Solo's stunt double. They were both pretty engaging characters
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:12 am

Atton Rand, the Scoundrel.

Kreia, the Grey Jedi.

And Bao-Dur, the Iridonian Zabrak engineer.

I love and know every party member from those games. They both have a very special place in my gaming history. They're pretty much what got me interested in story telling.

EDIT: Oh by the way if you know the character, which you should since he should have been introduced visually at some point by now.

If you haven't seen Nihilus though for whatever reason, don't click this spoiler.

Spoiler:
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:55 am

So apparently my main character is this guy that looks like a girl named Yuri.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:14 am