Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
Jansports
Elifia
Teh_hapy_octopus
Animaaal
8 posters

"The Riddle Off"....10 DAYS ONLY!

Poll

In your opinion, which of the following 10 riddles do you think is the best? (Please read riddles below)

[ 2 ]
    "The Riddle Off"....10 DAYS ONLY! I_vote_lcap13%"The Riddle Off"....10 DAYS ONLY! I_vote_rcap [13%] 
    [ 1 ]
    "The Riddle Off"....10 DAYS ONLY! I_vote_lcap6%"The Riddle Off"....10 DAYS ONLY! I_vote_rcap [6%] 
    [ 0 ]
    "The Riddle Off"....10 DAYS ONLY! I_vote_lcap0%"The Riddle Off"....10 DAYS ONLY! I_vote_rcap [0%] 
    [ 1 ]
    "The Riddle Off"....10 DAYS ONLY! I_vote_lcap6%"The Riddle Off"....10 DAYS ONLY! I_vote_rcap [6%] 
    [ 1 ]
    [ 2 ]
    "The Riddle Off"....10 DAYS ONLY! I_vote_lcap13%"The Riddle Off"....10 DAYS ONLY! I_vote_rcap [13%] 
    [ 1 ]
    [ 0 ]
    "The Riddle Off"....10 DAYS ONLY! I_vote_lcap0%"The Riddle Off"....10 DAYS ONLY! I_vote_rcap [0%] 
    [ 3 ]
    "The Riddle Off"....10 DAYS ONLY! I_vote_lcap19%"The Riddle Off"....10 DAYS ONLY! I_vote_rcap [19%] 
    [ 5 ]
    "The Riddle Off"....10 DAYS ONLY! I_vote_lcap31%"The Riddle Off"....10 DAYS ONLY! I_vote_rcap [31%] 

Total Votes: 16
    Poll closed
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

"The Riddle Off"....10 DAYS ONLY! Empty "The Riddle Off"....10 DAYS ONLY!

Post by Animaaal Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:10 pm

"The Riddle Off"....10 DAYS ONLY! Thinking-man_zps604bfc0e

10 DAYS!!!
    :affraid:

BUT...this poll allows you to change your answer. Why?!?!?! I'll get to that in a minute... twisted

First off, thanks for all the participation. Bow I hope everyone had a great time.

Before I say anything, let me give an example of a horrible %$#@ing riddle...

...What's black and white and red all over?

ANSWER:

Spoiler:

EXPLANATION:

Spoiler:

***Now even though this is AWESOME for me cuz my wife is smokin hot and I almost literally drop anything I'm doing when she puts that dang thing on....it's still a horrible riddle. It makes sense to me....just me....not you.....not your buddy....but me.

A few things to consider:

-Did the answer and explanation make sense???

Did it make you go...
    Well What is it "wtf?!?!"
    ...or did it make you go...
    Look Skyward "GOD I shoulda gotten that!"

...know what I'm saying?

-Did the riddlest just make the riddle too dang hard??? Does that alone mean its the best???

-Did they use their category correctly in your opinion?

-Last but not least, did you enjoy reading it the most?

AND PLEASE, read all the riddles before you choose...thanks.

cheers The 1st 5 riddles cheers *click spoiler below for riddles
    Spoiler:

cheers The last 5 riddles cheers *click spoiler to see riddles

Spoiler:

ALSO TO ALL RIDDLERS!

*I encourage you to promote yourself. Now is the time to talk smack (no trolling of course). Are you the best?!?!...
    ...OH YA?!?!?! Prove it! 8)

*To the guessers. DEFEND YOUR FAVORITE!!!! Now is the time! There's a title on the line for crying out loud!

NOW LET THE COMPETITION COMMENCE!!!

Here's a link to the origination thread: Dark Souls Living Riddles With Rules #1 (concluded but ongoing)

Last edited by Animaaal on Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:58 pm; edited 5 times in total
    Teh_hapy_octopus
    Teh_hapy_octopus
    Addicted
    Addicted

"The Riddle Off"....10 DAYS ONLY! Empty Re: "The Riddle Off"....10 DAYS ONLY!

Post by Teh_hapy_octopus Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:27 pm

WOOO im winning right now!
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:30 pm

I tied it up!!! Joy
    Teh_hapy_octopus
    Teh_hapy_octopus
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Teh_hapy_octopus Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:32 pm

Animaaal wrote:I tied it up!!! Joy
    "The Riddle Off"....10 DAYS ONLY! You-what-have-you-done
    Elifia
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elifia Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:53 pm

Can we vote for ourselves? Because if I do, then I'll be ahead winking
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:59 pm

Elifia wrote:Can we vote for ourselves? Because if I do, then I'll be ahead winking

No, but I can. Why? Idk...it just feels right twisted

PS- silly silly silly
    Elifia
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elifia Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:50 pm

Well, seeing as we're supposed to discuss why we think certain riddles are good or bad, let's get started with that, eh?

I believe certain riddles are kinda deceiving. Like #3 where 'delicacy' is supposed to refer to Pinwheel's masks. Delicacies are food, masks are not food.

#4 and #5 are quite poetic, I like that. However #4 seems to assume everyone wants that great mace, and #5 is a little weird as far as the riddle is concerned. Like the explosions being fire but dealing magic damage. I don't really see how it is fire. And the last paragraph is a little off. First it talks about the player falling, and then about the demon falling, without making it actually relate to each other. Kinda nitpicky, but whatever.

I can get more nitpicky though. #2 is too short, #7 uses 'me' too often (yes, 'me' rhymes with 'me', very smart), I don't like #8's rhyming scheme and #9 is too jolly. See? Very nitpicky.

Long story short, my riddle is the only good one! Vote for me! big grin

PS: You guys know I'm just foolin' 'round right? I don't actually think your riddles are bad winking No harsh feelings?
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:55 pm

I agree that in some cases liberties were taken with the meaning of some words. That really made things...akward.

I voted for my favorite, ironically one that was asked and solved before I even saw the thread.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:59 pm

A lot of these were way too hard, but they were, by and large, good.

Good riddles, just don't make 'em so damn hard in the future, k? silly
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:08 pm

I'd just like to say I had 200+ edits in that thread making it possible for any riddle to be seen at all.
    I am responsible for everyone's moment in the spolight. 8)

However, if that is waaaay to egotistical I'd like to say my father referred to me as "the mistake" until my mother told me my real name at age thirteen....it's not my fault. sad

If none of that has worked, then I will say my avatar is a hybrid between "Animal" from the muppets and "Eddie" from the 80's metal band Iron Maiden. twisted

If there's still no sympathy from you,
    then I am dying.....eventually. :Baal03:

***edit***
    *Whispers...mine's the first one....

Last edited by Animaaal on Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:17 pm; edited 4 times in total
    Elifia
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elifia Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:11 pm

Naaah, you did a great job with this thread, way more work than I'd ever put into anything.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:15 pm

^
    Hey thanks madam Bow

I had a lot of fun. But I gotta say a short break from all the edits will be nice.

And btw, you seem like a great addition to the forum. In case you weren't welcomed properly...

...WELCOME! cheers
    Elifia
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elifia Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:20 pm

It's hard to get welcomed properly when you never introduce yourself at all silly But thank you, much appreciated. This seems like a very nice forum. Quite unlike many other forums I've seen.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:23 pm

"lately I've been trying to get into PvP. It's going pretty well even though I'm :affraid: mid rolling."

Just that right there, is enough make me legitimately scared to fight you. But yes, like Animaaal said, welcome.

Not to say this Forum is perfect - it's not - but you'll find the populace here is a cut above your standard online community fare.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:28 pm

Elifia wrote:It's hard to get welcomed properly when you never introduce yourself at all silly But thank you, much appreciated. This seems like a very nice forum. Quite unlike many other forums I've seen.

Read it Emergence......READ IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! silly jj I just hope the mods see these comments sometimes. They work pretty hard here.

You'll find 90-99% of the people here are helpful, well mannered, and mature...to an extent lol.

Also, an apology here goes a long way. If you %$#@ up and lose your temper, people here ACTUALLY accept your apology. It's a supercool place man.

BACK ON TOPIC:

I believe mine is the best riddle because my 4 year old said so AND he pointed right to it. Without any prompting at all, I swear.

Spoiler:

Elifia
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elifia Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:35 pm

Well, I don't backstab, so I don't need fast roll. Usually I win by waiting for an opening and then poking them with my Chaos Claymore. Or if they're defensive and have a crappy shield, just break their block. I probably should learn to dead-angle...
    Just now I sort of won a 1vs2 fight. The phantom was a Havel (like me) with a black knight shield (also like me) and quelaag's furysword (fire damage weapon, like me, again). So I was like, this isn't going to go anywhere. Couldn't see the host either. Then suddenly the host came running at me, some cloth armor person with no shield. So I stunlocked the host to death (took only 2 hits anyways), then died to the phantom.

Now no more self-talk, don't wanna derail too much silly
    Infighter
    Infighter
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Infighter Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:39 pm

Totally n10
    Elifia
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elifia Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:43 pm

Sweet, I'm winning. And I haven't even voted yet. I love you guys happy
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:33 am

Elifia wrote:#7 uses 'me' too often (yes, 'me' rhymes with 'me', very smart)
    ...It wasn't a poem...

I'll get to critiquing the riddles in the near future.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:05 am

So, riddle number one.

It is not the mind but the tissue
    in which I take issue.
    If the worst should succeed do not stress,
    I will not, I’ll only coalesce.
    I’ve taken refuge behind iron bars,
    I’ve also been known to be staring at stars.
    I’ll be dead by the time you find me,
    but have no doubt, for I can be free.

The answer is Blood Red Moss Clumps... but it takes certain liberties that don't prove to be true in it's statement. For example, the line of being free makes no sense in the riddle, nor is there any stars in the sky in the Forest.

Riddle Two.

Pick me up for I am not owned but my old master is surely missed,
    Knights fear me as I slide between their armor bits.

The answer is the Estoc, but the issue here is quite simple to see, with how general it is, it's answer could be... virtually anything! Far too many weapons fit this description accurately.

Riddle Three.

I drop a certain delicacy
    Many undead come hunting for me

I try to fight but even my friends die
    I'm so easily killed I try not to cry

The answer is Pinwheel but it's misleading in it's wording. "Delicacy" indicates that it is a food, delicacy does not describe sights, sounds, or objects usually, if ever.

Riddle Four.

A flicker, a flare
    You're almost there
    when down comes a tower of steel
    and with great rewards comes greater a peril
    when this freight of a beast slays you.

Although it is quick it also is slow
    Sought after by all
    Yet attained by but one
    We screech and we claw and in time it will fall
    from the hands of the one whom swings it.

The answer is the great mace, I take a potentially misleading choice of stating the weapon is sought after by all, which sadly can never be accurate, outside of this, I don't see any inconsistancies in the actual riddle: but I am not likely the best person to critique my own riddle.

Fiery flares drop everywhere
    Like rounded pools filled with despair
    Yet shields worn by ashen knights
    receive only a short reprieve

Gathers Dust in an old tomb
    Sought for treasures never took
    twixt between it's always there
    and with it's flare it spreads despair

Weakened force we crash we fall
    In crystals, chaos, or faithful Gall
    we look upon the flare once more
    and in a flash it then will fall.

The answer is the stray demon
    The last paragraph does nothing but add confusion and blind assumptions to the riddle. This riddle should have been taken behind the shed and shot.

From darkest pits to highest peaks
    A lifeless thing, its fate so bleak
    The light is gone, it can't repeat
    Fading away, the task complete.

The answer is "Trading a lantern for a fog ring" Obscurity is great for a riddle, and this one has it, however... the tomb of the giants is not a pit. It's actually a long cliffside mostly. it's just very dark. Blighttown, Izalith, the Great Hollow, and many other area's are far lower, and far more pit like.

An oak tree's heart is where I'm your finest treasure
    A painted trap the finest pleasure
    An eye could bring you straight into me
    An eye could bring "friends" straight through me
    Fond memories are made through me
    Fond injuries are forged with me
    Prisons are found only with me
    Light Gwyn's fire and you'll come straight to me
    Run out of estus, and you may meet me
    Touching my bones could take you to me
    Some magicians, claim they know me
    Some cats promise to take you to me
    I promise friend, we'll often meet
    but bleak is that fate, because you'll never stay with me.

There is one answer that almost fits (loading screens) and one that fits perfectly (teleportation). Clerics, which are a type of magician, know homeward, and teleporting accomplishes all these scenes. Wizards do not know loading screens, nor will a loading screen help you in the Great Hollow.

I stand tall
    Though I fly
    I also fall
    Hear my cry
    I'll spoil your fun
    Prepare to die
    Or else run!

Harpies. This riddle assumes you're not good at combat, that harpies ruin fun, and that they must be ran away from. After the first four lines, the last 3 add nothing further to the riddle. It would have been best ended after line 4.

I raise my head up in the air
    This mock fills you with despair
    When I'm done I fade away
    But if you kill me you'll shout HOORAY!!!

The answer is crystal lizards, but line 2 is quite objective, and not true for a lot of us. the maker of the riddle, in his explanation, even says "it feels like they are mocking me, which makes me sad". If I couldn't vote for my own riddle, I'd vote for this one though.

Long have you sought,
    long have you fought,
    long have you thought,
    your quest was for naught.
    But then I was brought,
    by that which you caught.
    Now tell me, I am what?

The Sun.
    We do not catch the sun
    We do not catch the sunlight maggot.
    Solaire does. Solaire has the quest as well.
    The last two lines, indicate you have caught something, the sun can't be caught, but the sunlight maggot can. It genuinely feels like this riddle was written for the sunlight maggot, not the sun, and so I don't entirely see the "genius" in it that others seem to.

The only thing I'd like to end on, is that please remember the other riddles during the course of this voting. Riddle #10 was the most recent riddle, I understand why you'd vote it up, but it is most recent in your head, try to remember the feelings prior riddles gave you, and with that feeling, compare it to the others. I think Zeph had better riddles than mine, and personally I'm considering voting for 9. Try to recall all riddles in equal lighting, rather than by the act we ended upon.
    Zephryl
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zephryl Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:09 am

Very thorough critiquing~

Though in defense of mine, "Found as a treasure in the Tomb of Giants, in the pit close to the first bonfire." lol! Plus I never said "Deepest" but "Darkest" and while it may not be the pit-iest area in the game, I think the Tomb does contain the most literal pits, and is by far the darkest area of the game~

Plus it Rhymes! Rhyming is awesome and you know it Praise the Sun

And I agree with #10~ I don't like that the "You" referenced is actually Solaire and not the player, especially since the answer relies on the player failing Solaire's quest... And even then, I think the Maggot still fits better than "Sun". Although I could accept "Solaire's Sun" as a compromise, since the Maggot does become his "Sun" if you let him go Hollow.
    Elifia
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elifia Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:31 am

Very well, I'll accept the critique on my use of 'you'. But as for the maggot instead of the sun:
    But then I was brought,
    by that which you caught.

What was caught? The maggot. And the question was, what was brought by that which was caught. The maggot did not bring the maggot, it brought the sun.

Btw, letting Solaire go insane is not failing the quest, in my opinion. It's just what you get if you do the playthrough regularly. You'll either have to open a shortcut or avoid talking to him if you want to save him. That's why I believe that saving Solaire is just bonus, really.

I still don't know which one I like the most though. It's hard to stay objective too, when 1 of the contestants is yourself silly
    Teh_hapy_octopus
    Teh_hapy_octopus
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Teh_hapy_octopus Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:53 am

For all of you saying delicacy only relates to food you should look in a dictionary. I would copy paste a definition but I'm on my phone right now

Last edited by Teh_hapy_octopus on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)
    Elifia
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elifia Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:15 am

From wikipedia:
    A delicacy is a food item that is considered highly desirable in certain cultures. Often this is because of unusual flavors or characteristics or because it is rare.

Delicacies are different across different countries and ages. Flamingo tongue was a highly prized dish in ancient Rome, but is not eaten at all in modern times. Lobsters were considered poverty food in North America until the mid-19th century, when they started being treated as they were in Europe - a delicacy. Some delicacies are confined to a certain culture, such as fugu in Japan, bird's nest soup (made out of swiftlet nests) in China and ant larvae (escamoles) in Mexico.

The dictionaries also state it as meaning 'something that is delicate'.
    1. Pleasing to the senses, especially in a subtle way: a delicate flavor; a delicate violin passage.
    2. Exquisitely fine or dainty: delicate china.
    3. Frail in constitution or health.
    4. Easily broken or damaged: a kite too delicate to fly.
    5. Marked by sensitivity of discrimination: a critic's delicate perception.
    a. Considerate of the feelings of others.
    b. Concerned with propriety.
    c. Squeamish or fastidious.
    7. Requiring tactful treatment: a delicate situation.
    8. Fine or soft in touch or skill: a surgeon's delicate touch.
    9. Measuring, indicating, or responding to very small changes; precise: a delicate set of scales.
    10. Very subtle in difference or distinction.

Still don't see how any of that is supposed to refer to the masks. They're butt-ugly, and their durability is pretty decent. Not very subtle either.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:11 pm

Rynn wrote:
    Spoiler:

Ooooooooooooh Yaaaaaaaaaaa????? Well you're avatar is black and white and I bet ponies have horrible breath!

On a serious note, you really screwed the pooch on the category on that one didn't you lol?...A Great Mace lol....just lol man.

And ponies suck!!!! silly

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:14 pm