Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+20
Mr. Tart
Tolvo
Animaaal
Emergence
BIG TIME MASTER
VaDoom
Onion Knight
WandererReece
Filiagro
Peaceful Wollyhop
nsane32
Hatsune Miku
swordiris
The Letter X
Dibsville
Carphil
Maneater_Mildred
AnCapaillMor
RANT
billionthswine187
24 posters

All Time Favourite Game

BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

All Time Favourite Game - Page 2 Empty Re: All Time Favourite Game

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:41 pm

Dark Souls - I shouldn't need to explain this. IMO, the most perfect video game

Shenmue - the only story based game I have ever enjoyed, also introduced the QTE to gaming, which I thoroughly despise, but in this game it worked because the story wasn't totally lame. Or maybe it was, but I was probably 17 when I played it so my taste have changed)

Dragons Dogma - The only game I have thoroughly enjoyed for more than one playthrough since Dark Souls. I even enjoyed the story.

Mount and Blade series - a perfect sandbox medieval simulator. Combat is only rivaled by Souls series.

Also Ghost Recon - the original Ghost Recon is unrivaled in tense, tactical FPS gameplay. There are other more "realistic" games like Arma, but those games are so big and complicated it would be easier just to join the army. Ghost Recon has straightforward controls but builds tension like no other tactical shooter I have played. No other game would I slowly low crawl from cover to cover, taking tactical pauses for minutes at a time, and then still feel a little anxious as I bound forward with my teammate covering my movement, and enjoy it.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:53 pm

Maneater_Mildred wrote:
    Dibsville wrote:Castle Crashers.
    It's a kiddy game, but the best game I have played in my life nonetheless.
    It's graphics seem pretty cartoony at first, but then you see all the blood around, and some of the more *grotesque* aspects of the game. It has multiplayer and A LOT of different things to choose from.

Finished insane mode yet? My son has a lvl 86 red knight, I have a lvl74 orange. It's a very fun game but.... Fat princess is better :p

is it really that good? i played the demo and i though it was meh. maybe crappy demo?
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:06 pm

So many...

Ocarina of Time
    Medievil
    Demon's/Dark
    Bioshock
    Warhawk
    Oblivion
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Borderlands
    Street Fighter
    nsane32
    nsane32
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by nsane32 Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:19 pm

#1 would be the original DOOM
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:20 pm

1) Dark Souls
    2) Demon's Souls
    3) Knights of the Old Republic (xbox)
    4) Final Fantasy VII
    5) Final Fantasy X(I looooooathed Tidus though)
    6) Gladius
    7) Tetris (The original)
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:38 pm

Emergence wrote:So many...

Ocarina of Time
    Medievil
    Demon's/Dark
    Bioshock
    Warhawk
    Oblivion
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Borderlands
    Street Fighter

ahh warhawk, such an underrated gem of a game. one of the best online communities i've ever seen(probably the best since i can't think of a better one at the moment) everyone wass just really into the game and people actually wanted teamwork wheneve you got in there at least five guys would be like 'so what are we doing guys?', pretty awesome.
    WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:39 pm

Emergence wrote:Borderlands

That game was really good untill everyone started hacking. Now it's no fun because literally everyone can't die and literally everyone one shots everything. Yes, I meant to type literally.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:55 pm

RantFromRant wrote:
    Maneater_Mildred wrote:
    It's graphics seem pretty cartoony at first, but then you see all the blood around, and some of the more *grotesque* aspects of the game. It has multiplayer and A LOT of different things to choose from.

Finished insane mode yet? My son has a lvl 86 red knight, I have a lvl74 orange. It's a very fun game but.... Fat princess is better :p

is it really that good? i played the demo and i though it was meh. maybe crappy demo?
    The demo isn't as good as the true game. It stays fun throughout unlike most games where they get boring at the end. There's literally a boss that begins crapping itself to attack you.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:58 pm

Star Wars Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast.

It is simple an amazing action game. I had played a few hack and slash games in the past and a few shooters, this one was a mix of both. However it got something absolutely right which Star Wars games to this day struggle with.

If you hit a person with your lightsaber, it cuts through them. You have a max of 100 health, and 100 shielding. On one hit a lightsaber can easily deal 200 damage instantly killing you. So it wasn't about hitting Dark Jedi with light up bats, you would duel them and clash blades. Once one strike got through generally you or they were dead. As you played you got to learn new abilities, the story itself isn't super but decent. There is a wide array of levels, in fact they even do sort of semi-introductions in some cases. Early on you get a quick tour of the Jedi Temple, going through the civil areas before going through a sort of trial in a temple. At a later level the civil areas are used in a more dire situation causing them to open up and allow you to actually go to places which you thought would always be closed off. The puzzles are simple yet do still require some thought. Powers can be used in a variety of ways. For instance, a quick trick for killing enemies is to push them onto the ground. Next, jump high over them, then right as you pass over them use force pull. It will slingshot them high into the sky.

Another thing I loved is that you can actually do things in a non-violent ways, not always, but you can strip enemies of their weapons and they'll surrender. Something a Jedi would certainly do.

In the game you play as Kyle Katarn, my favorite Jedi.

All Time Favourite Game - Page 2 Kyle_Jan_Ors_2

Kyle "***" Katarn is a badass through and through. He is known as the Jedi Battlemaster, most people outside the order don't even recognize who he is without his weapon. Since he doesn't wear robes, he wears street clothes or armor. He uses energy shields, explosives, he has a criminal history and has no issue with people bending the rules. He is a Jedi Commando for lack of a better word. Throughout the game you will find moments where using sniper rifles, rocket launchers, heavy blaster rifles with plasma launcher alternative firing systems will benefit you more than your blade. Kyle Katarn has no problem with this, it's all about what is practical to him. He also isn't a Jedi that is afraid of emotions or any of that. He has used the Dark Side, Kyle has a girlfriend, he has friends he talks to and drinks quite frequently. He had a family that you got to know, basically if a Star Wars Sequel Movie was made he would be a prime candidate for a main character that would make the movie great.

This is also a hard as hell game, playing through on Normal will cause most players to die frequently due to the difficulty. For instance, snipers one shot you. If you aren't using force speed they will probably hit you. Explosives, they'll flat out kill you. Essentially in this game most things, including you, can easily die in one hit. Because of this your control and reaction time is very important. You can also set up traps with mines or remote explosives. The game also has stealth elements, you can sneak through areas using quiet weapons to hit the enemies without them knowing. Physics also play a big part with the push and pull mechanic.

Did I mention the special moves? The game has placement based attacks for the lightsaber combat, as well as direction. For instance, if you swing to the right with the strong style, you'll swing pretty fast while pushing an enemy should they survive the attack. With the quick style you can roll and get a fast thrust attack off. If using the strong style, moving backwards suddenly with your back to an enemy and swinging causes you to do a backwards wide knee high slice. Meaning you can knock enemies down, jump over their heads, then as they rise up spin around executing them all at once. These attacks all carry over into the multiplayer allowing for an incredible meta game in regards to dueling.

Because of the placement sensitive combat you can force moves, such as suddenly revealing your back while jumping to get a mid air knee high reverse slice while moving. You can then use your mouse sensitivity to choose where the blade is going and cause your blade throughout the whole swing to face the enemy. Multiplayer maps often have dueling arenas, as well there is a specific duel mode. It was very common to have duel group maps, where a ring was decided and people could watch you fight others in it. It was all about who could deflect the attacks of the other person while trying to get their own hits in.

Parrying was in the game, blocking wasn't. You had to aim your blade to actually cross the other person otherwise you or they would miss, and one of you would die. If you hit partially across, it would deflect their attack. If you made a perfect X you entered saber lock, and had to mash attack to push back the enemy.

All in all, I *** love that game. If i had a gaming PC I'd probably be playing it right now. If an HD Remake came out I'm sorry to say but I'd probably drop Dark Souls for it.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:02 pm

Dibsville wrote:
    RantFromRant wrote:
    Maneater_Mildred wrote:

The demo isn't as good as the true game. It stays fun throughout unlike most games where they get boring at the end. There's literally a boss that begins crapping itself to attack you.

do you keep learning new moves or magic setc. throughout the game? cause that's one of the things i look for in a game, new moves, items and weapons as you progress in the game.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:11 pm

RantFromRant wrote:
    Dibsville wrote:
    RantFromRant wrote:
    Maneater_Mildred wrote:

do you keep learning new moves or magic setc. throughout the game? cause that's one of the things i look for in a game, new moves, items and weapons as you progress in the game.
    Yeah, you learn a TON of moves, so many that you'll forget how to do half of them. The magics are pretty simple. Splash, Long-range, jumping diagnol long-range, and magic jump. Although some combos implement magic. I stopped playing awhile back when I lost XBL, but I remember there being like 50 weapons or so, including Fire Swords, Clubs, and even live Chickens tied to a stick. By now, there's probably a lot more items then there was before.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:44 pm

lol i might get it now or whwnever i see it on sale, thanks dude.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:45 pm

And sadly I've never even met another person who played JK2:JO.

It saddens me greatly.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:32 pm

My absolute favourite game is Fable: TLC. While the game doesn't have the best mechanics i've ever been faced with, the atmosphere is amazing, and the soundtrack enchances that feel. I can't describe how much i love this game, but damn it, do i love it.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:58 pm

Actually, i should thank you for making this topic, as i decided to play Fable: TLC because it. So thanks for making it. Bow
    nsane32
    nsane32
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by nsane32 Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:59 pm

Tolvo wrote:And sadly I've never even met another person who played JK2:JO.

It saddens me greatly.

I have played the crap out of it its my all time favorite star wars game and I noticed that you changed your avatar to a character from that game:P
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:03 pm

Kyle Katarn ****. I'm so glad you've played it Nsane, I used to also be big into the multiplayer scene which was great.
    nsane32
    nsane32
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by nsane32 Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:07 pm

yea I couldnt remember the name but you played as him in the first one and he is your mentor in the second one its a really good series I wish there could be a reboot
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:10 pm

Star Wars the Force Unleashed was sort of supposed to be that reboot.

Double thumbs down to that series, a shame on the Star Wars canon.

the Jk Knight games will always be in my heart, if only my PC didn't die right before getting Dark Forces.

Kyle Katarn is the main character for most of the series, Badass Jedi Battle Master, warrior of the Jedi and Master in all forms of combat.
    vilebyrd
    vilebyrd

Post by vilebyrd Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:42 pm

dark souls, demon souls, the witcher 1 and 2 , those are my all time favorites.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:23 pm

Thats a really, really tough question.
    Star ocean: till the end of time is up there, as is skies of arcadia and FF's 8 and 10.
    Hatsune Miku
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:52 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:Star ocean: till the end of time.
    I heard that game was boring, literally.
    Hatsune Miku
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:56 pm

Emergence wrote:Ocarina of Time
    Majora's Mask is better.

IMO.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:58 pm

Boring is subjective, but I love it. The combat, in perticular, is awesom.
    Hatsune Miku
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:00 am

Forum Pirate wrote:Boring is subjective, but I love it. The combat, in perticular, is awesom.
    Wait. Is that a series? And if so, how many are out?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:55 am