Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
General Bale
zanicus
EeAyEss
LunarFog
psychichobo
User1
Djem
Peaceful Wollyhop
Slarg232
AnCapaillMor
skarekrow13
15 posters

The Character Lottery Challenge Game

LumpyScarecrow
    LumpyScarecrow

The Character Lottery Challenge Game Empty The Character Lottery Challenge Game

Post by LumpyScarecrow Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:28 pm

After completing the game (maybe millions of times) fine tuning our characters how we want them, it's time to see who can adapt and complete a new game with a random (and most likely awkward) build. To make things tougher, a random covenant challenge and mini challenge have to be done before killing Gwyn.

Because of the restriction on using armor and weapons that you didn't roll, the beginning of the playthrough can be tough depending on your random combo (ex. rolling a knight who can only use crossbows, sorceries, mailbreaker, and dark hand while having to kill the black knight in Undead Burg before the Taurus Demon). All situations should be very possible though. In that example, I would dodge my way to the light crossbow in Undead Burg, use it (along with some firebombs and throwing knives maybe) to kill the knight and Taurus Demon and then concentrate on my efforts to get to the lower undead burg. That kind of stuff brings back that sweet feeling of accomplishment we all got from our first playthrough cheers . All weapon and armor choices contain decently early stuff. If you're not sure what to do in any situation or the rules are unclear, feel free to ask, or throw me a comment if you've found an impossible combo or major imbalancing flaw. If you find a loop hole or shortcut that will help you kill Gwyn faster, use it 8) (with the exception of cheesy things like bad wording in the rules, or die/quit glitches). The goal is to kill Gwyn as soon as you can!

I would love to see what combos you guys rolled and if you're playing it/completed it. Maybe even throw down the time it took to kill Gwyn for the hardcore challenge runners. I'm sure just killing him will be enough of an achievement for some combos! Don't break the rules and have fun!

The Character Lottery Challenge Game

Rules
    • No non-npc summons allowed
    • Roll for each category
    • Use appropriate 4, 6, 8, 10, or 12 sided dice or use This Online Die Roller to roll
    • No rerolling (getting stuff that you hate using gives it the challenge)
    • Choose the class and gift you rolled (everything else about character creation is your choice)
    • All stat choices are yours and there is no level limit
    • You must be in rolled covenant before defeating specific boss (see "Covenant Rules") and complete covenant challenges before defeating Gwyn. All other covenants cannot ever be joined
    • You must strip starter armor as soon as the game starts and only ever equip what is rolled (upgrade however you want)
    • You must unequip starter weapon as soon as you defeat the Asylum Demon and only ever equip rolled weapon/weapon types (upgrade however you want)
    • Your rolled "Other" can be used in addition to your rolled weapon type
    • You can main-hand, off-hand, 2-hand, and not use anything you rolled
    • You must only ever equip rolled rings and "Universal Rings"
    • All allowed armors, weapons, rings, and items can be obtained whenever (or not obtained at all)
    • You must complete rolled mini challenge
    • You can use all items except for the master key
    • If you roll something that involves the DLC but you don't have it, reroll for that category (there isn't too much that involves it)
    • You must be human at all times unless you have no humanity in your inventory and you must be online at all times (ignore this rule if you absolutely hate pvp and/or want an easier challenge game...but you'll know in your heart that your completion will forever have a metaphorical asterisk beside it winking)
    • No picking up items dropped during pvp
    • All rules apply when you're being invaded or you're a phantom

Class (d10)
    1. Warrior
    2. Knight
    3. Wanderer
    4. Thief (you must never use the master key)
    5. Bandit
    6. Hunter
    7. Sorcerer
    8. Pyro
    9. Cleric
    10. Deprived

Gift (d8)
    1. Divine Blessing
    2. Black F.B.
    3. Binoculars
    4. Pendant
    5. Twin Humanities
    6. None
    7. Tiny Being's Ring
    8. Old Witch Ring

Covenant (d8)
    1. Way of White/Princess' Guard - Co-op1 + Must write 5 different messages related to Gwynevere's chest in Anor Londo
    2. Dark Wraith - Must wear dark mask for Nito, Seath, Bed of Chaos, and Gwyn (can use dark mask entire playthrough) + kill at least 10 people as an invading dark wraith
    3. Darkmoon Blade - Must wear Darkmoon Blade Covenant Ring at all times when in Duke's, Crystal Caves, Demon Ruins, and Lost Izalith + kill at least 10 people while invading as a Spirit of Vengeance
    4. Warrior of Sunlight - Co-op1
    5. Forest Hunter - Must wear Cat Covenant Ring through all of Duke's, Crystal Caves, Demon Ruins, and Lost Izalith + kill at least 10 people while invading as a Forest Hunter
    6. Chaos Servant - Must save Solaire and summon him vs. Gwyn + Kill all of the dragon butts in Lost Izalith
    7. Gravelord Servant - Must kill 10 invaders while under the effect of eyes of death(dark wraiths count)
    8. Path of the Dragon - Must do entire Duke's and Crystal Caves (including Seath) only under the effects of the dragon torso stone and dragon head stone without any armor, shields, or weapons equipped apart from your fists (rings are allowed). The stones can be used everywhere else as well.

Armor (d12)
    1. Starter Set (all pieces of every starter set if your class is deprived) / Fangboar Helm / Sack / Xanthous Set
    2. Hollow Warrior Set / Hollow Soldier Set / Royal Helm / Gold-hemmed Black Gloves
    3. Balder Set / Maiden Set
    4. Hollow Thief Set / Black Iron Set
    5. Knight Set / Shadow Set
    6. Chain Set / Pinwheel Masks
    7. Antiquated Set / Catarina Set
    8. Black Leather Set / Steel Set / Painting Guardian Set
    9. Hunter Set / Iron Golem Set
    10. Sorcerer Set / Adventurer's Set
    11. Elite Knight Set / Black Sorcerer Set
    12. Eastern Set / Crimson Set

Weapons / Magics (d8)
    1. Ultra Greatswords / Curved Greatswords
    2. Hammers / Great Hammers
    3. Axes / Great Axes
    4. Morning Star / all weapons upgradeable with twinkling titanite
    5. Spears
    6. Bows / all pyromancies (all flames) / Whips / Caestus
    7. Daggers / Fist weapons / all Miracles (all talismans)
    8. Crossbows / all Sorceries (all catalysts) / Mailbreaker

Others (d8)
    1. Parrying Dagger
    2. Buckler / Target Shield
    3. Crystal Ring Shield
    4. Bonewheel Shield / Cracked Round Shield
    5. Crossbows / Pyromancies that don't deal fire damage (all flames)
    6. Non-offensive sorceries (all catalysts)2 / Cracked Round Shield
    7. Non-offensive miracles (all talismans)3
    8. Dark Hand

Rings (d4)
    1. Gwyn's Knights Rings / Ring of the Evil Eye
    2. Stoneplate Rings / Ring of Steel Protection / Cloranthy Ring
    3. Ring of Favor and Protection / Dragoncrest Rings
    4. Havel's Ring / Ring of Fog / "Bite" Rings

Mini Challenge (d6)
    1. Must kill every black knight before its area boss (Undead Burg = Taurus Demon, Undead Parish = Gargoyles, both in Asylum = Stray Demon, Darkroot Basin = Basin Hydra, Catacombs = Pinwheel, Tomb of the Giants = Nito) + Kill both hydras + Kill Gwyndolin before Ornstein and Smough (If your covenant is Darkmoon Blades, kill Priscilla before Ornstein and Smough instead) + Kill all Dragon Butts in Lost Izalith
    2. Fat roll Bed of Chaos (allowed havel's set for this boss fight) + Light roll The Four Kings + No summons for Iron Golem + Must wear Chester's Long Coat for Gwyn fight (can use just the coat everywhere)
    3. Must kill Priscilla before Ornstein and Smough + No summons for Bell Gargoyels + No summons for Iron Golem
    4. Must obtain all 5 Ghough carvings before defeating Gwyn
    5. Must kill Giant Rat, Wall Hugger in Blighttown, Giant Cats, all Prowling Demons (Lost Izalith demon at least once), all Black Knights, both Hydras, and both Undead Dragons
    6. Co-op1 (reroll if your covenant is Way of White/Princess' Guard or Warrior of Sunlight)

Universal Rings
    Tiny Being's Ring, (Rare) Ring of Sacrifice, Darkmoon Seance Ring, Rusted Iron Ring, Covetous Gold Serpent Ring, Covenant of Artorias, Orange Charred Ring, Ring of the Sun Princess, Darkmoon Blade Covenant Ring, Cat Covenant Ring

Universal Others
    Skull lantern, Sunlight Maggot

Covenant Rules
    1. Way of White - Must join before Taurus Demon / Princess' Guard - Must abandon Way of White and join immediately after receiving the Lord Vessel
    2. Dark Wraith - Must join before Ornstein and Smough
    3. Darkmoon Blade - Must join before Ornstein and Smough
    4. Warrior of Sunlight - Must join before Gaping Dragon
    5. Forest Hunter - Must join before capra
    6. Chaos Servant - Must join immediately after killing Quelaag
    7. Gravelord Servant - Must join before Capra
    8. Path of Dragon - Must join before Quelaag

1You must use the white soapstone to be summoned and help another player defeat (with yourself surviving) the following bosses at least once:
    • Bell Gargoyles
    • Capra
    • Quelaag
    • Iron Golem
    • Ornstein and Smough
    • Any one other

2Includes: Hush, Cast light, Remedy, Resist Curse, Repair, Hidden Body, Chameleon, Hidden Weapon, (Strong) Magic Shield, Aural Decoy, Fall Control. If you rolled this and sorceries as weapon, use non-offensive miracles instead.
    3Includes: Heal, Great Heal, Great Heal Excerpt, Replenishment, Soothing Sunlight, Bountiful Sunlight, Homeward, Magic Barrier, Great Magic Barrier, Seek Guidance, Karmic Justice, Tranquil Walk of Peace, Force. If you rolled this and miracles as weapon, use non-offensive sorceries instead.

Last edited by LumpyScarecrow on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

The Character Lottery Challenge Game Empty Re: The Character Lottery Challenge Game

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:38 pm

Welcome to the forums! That game is very well organized and thought ought. Kudos!
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

The Character Lottery Challenge Game Empty Re: The Character Lottery Challenge Game

Post by AnCapaillMor Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:44 pm

At something like Dice has to be on hands all the time if you've the master key, do i go up or down, do i fight taurus or go for havel and so on.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:47 pm

Got it pretty easy, meself;
    Pyromancer
    Black Fire Bombs, forest hunter, Catarina set, Morning Star/Twinkling, Dark Hand, Stonplate rings, Cloranthy ring, and Co-op.
    Forest hunter is the only problematic thing there.
    Peaceful Wollyhop
    Peaceful Wollyhop
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Peaceful Wollyhop Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:48 pm

This is very nice, I will be using it to spice up my playthroughs!
    Djem
    Djem
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Djem Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:19 pm

"Dark Wraith - Must join before Ornstein and Smough"

I think that's impossible. Don't you have to obtain the Lordvessel for Kaathe to appear?
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:40 pm

No, you don't.
    psychichobo
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by psychichobo Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:07 pm

Phew, got VERY lucky here.

Wanderer with Thief/Black Iron gear, using axes and buckler. Darkmoon bit might be annoying, but black firebombs early should make things easy. And I always kill Priscilla before Laurel and Hardy anyway...
    Djem
    Djem
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Djem Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:36 pm

RenegadeCop wrote:No, you don't.

Damn. I wish I knew that. Would've saved me a LOT of time. So you can basicly kill the Four Kings as soon as you start the game and join the Darkwraiths?
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:45 pm

Class: Pyro

Gift: Binoculars

Covenant: Gravelord servant

Amor: Knight set/shadow set

Weapons: Hammers/great hammers

Others: Parrying dagger

Rings: Stoneplate ring/Ring of steel protection/cloranthy ring

Mini challenge: Coop

Pfffffft! screw this challenge!
    EeAyEss
    EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:54 pm

WOOOO. I'll save this for when I get some recording equipment. My rolls:

Class: Wanderer

Gift: Twin humanities

Covenant: Darkmoon Blades

Armor: Balder set/Maiden set

Weapons: Morning Star/twinkling weapons

Others: Dark Hand

Rings: Stoneplate Ring/ Ring of Steel Protection/Cloranthy Ring

Mini Challenge: No. 2:
    Fat-roll Bed of Chaos
    Light-roll 4 Kings
    No summons for Iron Golem
    Chester's Long Coat for Gwyn fight.

This should be fun.
    zanicus
    zanicus

Post by zanicus Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:21 pm

The beginning of this challenge is going to be tough...

Class-Sorceror
    Gift-none
    Covenant-Path of the Dragon-Must do entire Duke's and Crystal Caves (including Seath) under the effects of the dragon torso stone and dragon head stone (can use these everywhere else too)
    Armor- Black Leather Set/Steel Set/Painted Guardian Set
    Weapons-Bows/all pyromancies/Whips/Caestus
    Others-Crossbows, Pyromancies
    Rings-Stoneplate Rings/Steel Protection/Cloranthy
    Mini-Challenge-Must obtain all 5 gough carvings before defeating Gwyn

*will essentially need to kill Taurus with only a short bow and fist, unless I attempt to bum-rush New Londo for the Composite Bow
    LumpyScarecrow
    LumpyScarecrow

Post by LumpyScarecrow Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:05 pm

Thanks skarekrow and Wollyhop!

Doesn't look too bad, hey Slarg? Being Poiseless without a shield (probably) up until Sen's (including the good ol' front entrance to Blighttown) is going to require some pretty boss rolls. Twinkling titanite will be in high demand and you are going to look great with that armor combo! lol

I like that roll psychic. For me, even simple things like not having any range would make me have to rethink some encounters.

Both Lunar and EeAyEss's rolls seem like fun. I can definitely think of a few things (and probably a lot I haven't thought of) that I would have trouble with using the ideas I have for those combos, though.

Zanicus, that sucks. I'm really interested how or if you get through that. The sorceries / crossbows / mailbreaker choice runs into the same very hard game start if they don't get any help from class or other. I was contemplating adding a decent early melee weapon (like the estoc) to those two choices, but I think it would take away from the creativity needed to pull rolls like yours off. Although pretty much none of your categories synced very well, and it's probably going to be very hard (if possible), your roll looks like a blast and it's going to have to be weird as hell.

Here's what I got...

Class: Thief

Gift: Black Firebomb

Covenant: Path of Dragon

Armor: Balder Set / Maiden Set

Weapons: Spears

Other: Buckler / Target Shield

Rings: Ring of FaP / Dragoncrest

Mini Challenge: Priscilla before O & S, no summons for Gargoyles or Golem

Should be fun. It definitely could've been worse. I'm just going to be terrified of everything that can't easily be poked. I'll have nightmares of Blighttown mosquitoes.

*Also, I did a quick edit for the Path of the Dragon challenge. I meant for only the dragon head stone and dragon torso stone to be allowable in Duke's, Crystal Caves, and Seath. Meaning no armor or weapons outside of pure manly fisticuffs in those areas (rings allowed).
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:08 pm

Djem wrote:
    RenegadeCop wrote:No, you don't.

Damn. I wish I knew that. Would've saved me a LOT of time. So you can basicly kill the Four Kings as soon as you start the game and join the Darkwraiths?
    Sorry for the late reply. Yes, you can do that, but it is immensely hard.
    zanicus
    zanicus

Post by zanicus Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:24 pm

Update:

Finally killed Taurus with the short bow! cheers Climbed the ladder shot him a few times jumped off and ran to the other side of the bridge, rinse and repeat. Made it to Andre as well, bought Cestus and can finally melee. I envision Capra is going to be obnoxious with 0 poise and no shield, however the rules clearly state that all items can be used...so dung pies? twisted
    LumpyScarecrow
    LumpyScarecrow

Post by LumpyScarecrow Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:58 pm

Awesome! That's impressive. Yeah...trying to hit Capra's dodgy dogs with a caestus would be hell...let alone with their ability to stun lock the shieldless and poiseless.

You can do whatever you want within the rules...so start throwing crap at everything if it helps you kill Gwyn.
    General Bale
    General Bale

Post by General Bale Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:36 am

While reading through your post all I could think of is "That is such a fantastic Idea. happy " and "Gwyn please no bows. Everything but bows. I never parried you to death so please no bows The Character Lottery Challenge Game 3510096238" Obvisiously I rolled bows. The Character Lottery Challenge Game 1330857165Although I do hate bows with the passion of a thousand burning suns I am really looking forward to this. happy

Class: Warrior
    Gift: Tiny Being's Ring
    Covenant: Forest Hunter
    Armor: Knight Set / Shadow Set
    Weapons/Magic: Bows / all pyromancies (all flames) / Whips / Caestus
    Others: Non-offensive miracles (all talismans)
    Rings: Havel's Ring / Ring of Fog / "Bite" Rings
    Mini Challenge: Must kill Priscilla before Ornstein and Smough + No summons for Bell Gargoyels + No summons for Iron Golem
    Covenant Rules: Must join before Capra

Btw one question:
    If I run out of souls and arrows (Did I already mention how much I hate bows? ) before getting to the caestus, am I allowed to kick hollows of the edge / meele them to death with fist? Or do I have to fool them into jumping of the edge into their death?
    joemann
    Casual
    Casual

Post by joemann Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:58 am

Here's the luck of the die for me:
    Class: Bandit

Gift: Pendant (might as well have gotten none, haha)

Covenant: Darkmoon Blade (I play on PC and invading people takes a long while. Hopefully this won't prove too difficult)

Armor: Starter Set/ Fangboar helm/ Sack/ Xanthous Set

Weapons: Bows/ All Pyromancies (all flames)/ Whips/ Caestus

Others: Bonewheel Shield/ Cracked Round Shield

Rings: Gwyn's Knights Rings/ Ring of Evil Eye

Mini Challenge: Must kill giant rat, wall hugger in blight town, giant cats, all prowling demons (the one in Lost Izalith at least once), all black knights, both hydras, and both undead dragons.

Not sure when I'll attempt this, but it should be interesting (as in a lot of deaths).
    LumpyScarecrow
    LumpyScarecrow

Post by LumpyScarecrow Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:53 pm

Bale, I've done a few of these and have yet to get bows/pyro. I think it would be really fun! I've done a bow only run outside of this game and it was a blast. With this game's other restrictions/ requirements it would be a little tougher. You'll need to get creative!

You can punch and kick as much as you want. You can only ever equip what you rolled... that's the only restriction. This means that you don't have to equip anything and do whatever you want like that.

Joe, that should be a fun run too! I play mainly PC, too. If you ever have troubles invading, the forest is always busy. Messy...but busy. If you go to the right places, the PC PvP is plenty active. Worst case...( although I don't think it will be necessary) go a bit out of your way to Oolacile Township.

The one covenant requirement that is exceptionally frustrating to achieve is the dragons. I had to farm the valley of drakes for awhile with a crossbow on one run, but it was worth it. Dragon body fists are one of my favorite things in this game.

Have fun guys!
    twilightwarwolf
    twilightwarwolf
    Revived
    Revived

Post by twilightwarwolf Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:51 pm

so i just roll each time for each thing or once?

btw it doesnt look like you put down halberds
    LumpyScarecrow
    LumpyScarecrow

Post by LumpyScarecrow Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:01 pm

roll the appropriate die for each category. I purposely left out a lot of weapons ( most of the popular ones). Halberds, especially in pve, make the game incredibly easy. This game is a tough challenge.
    twilightwarwolf
    twilightwarwolf
    Revived
    Revived

Post by twilightwarwolf Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:14 pm

ok ill do it now and see what i get
    twilightwarwolf
    twilightwarwolf
    Revived
    Revived

Post by twilightwarwolf Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:21 am

so i got this

class: sorceror

gift: black bombs

covenant: Darkmoon

armor: chain/pin masks

weapons: bows,pyro,whips,ceastuses

other: sorceries or cracked shield (i picked neither)

rings: gwyns or evil

mini challenege: number 5 killing stuff

not bad but not great especially since i NEVER use bows so well see and heres my build i made for it http://mmdks.com/1zsj
    LumpyScarecrow
    LumpyScarecrow

Post by LumpyScarecrow Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:45 am

Cool.

You don't have to "pick" or make a build. You can use what you rolled if you want. You might change your mind during your run. Something like hidden body might come in handy invading, or a greater magic shield on the cracked round shield vs a boss giving you trouble with pure rolls. If you've never done a bow run or pyro run, it's hard to know what to expect.
    iiProdigyv
    iiProdigyv

Post by iiProdigyv Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:25 am

Currently doing this, only got to the gargoyles at level 10 due to farming souls, I got:
    Bandit
    Black Firebombs
    Chaos Servant
    Hunter/Iron Golem Set
    Bows/All Pyros/ Ceastus
    Crossbows/Pyros
    Gwyns Knights and Ring of the evil eye
    Fat roll bed of chaos and fast roll 4 kings no summon for iron golem and kill pris before O&S

It's interesting considering a crossbow bolt costs 30 souls and a base crossbow kills them in 2 shots and they only give you 60 souls -.-

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 pm