Dark Souls Living Riddles With Rules #1 (concluded but ongoing)

Zephryl
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Re: Dark Souls Living Riddles With Rules #1 (concluded but ongoing)

Post by Zephryl on Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:47 am

So, I'm in two minds about this thread. It's nice to see a bit of proper organization, as the other thread only really made sense to the people that had been there for a while...

But I don't agree with the categories, as it can be quite limiting. I like to write my Riddles so that they could apply to a number of things, but once you try the correct answer, nothing else fits quite as well. With the categories it means I'm forced to write my Riddles in very different ways, if I want to write one about an item I'm forced to make it quite vague, as there are a very limited number of items and most of them will be excluded very quickly.

I can see how it has its upsides, it makes it easier for the guessers to find the answer, since they only have to look inside of the category to get the answer, which will lead to a faster turnover of Riddles... which may not be a good thing, to be honest. People are rapidly going to run out of well-crafted Riddles, and it'll dissolve to where people are either swapping ownership so quickly because they're just posting really easy Riddles, not being able/willing to make harder ones, or where it's taking the maximum time to get a riddle solved, because it's poorly crafted, or the answer only makes sense to the writer.

On that note, I don't think there needs to be a Time Limit and a Guess Limit, that just means that it can't ever get too popular, if we get 10 people using their 2 guesses then we can force a new Riddle every hour... And it might prevent people going for a "Longshot" answer, which is a bit distressing to me because I highly enjoy thinking of very unlikely answers, and forcing them to fit into the Riddle.

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:33 am

Zephryl wrote:...I don't agree with the categories, as it can be quite limiting...

I'm sorry, but the categories have more benefits than drawbacks. I could see how the riddle might lose it's mystery with a category. But come on man, there's only 4 categories. If there were 20 categories, then I could see how that could be over doing it. He\\, there's even a misc. category.

I'm sorry, but if putting the riddle into a category gives the answer away, then the riddle needs to be more deceivingly written. The only reason mine was answered was because of the additional clues I gave along with flat out saying, "You're so close" on one particular guess.

I am also tired if wondering if an answer to a riddle could be "The color of Solaire's hair". There is no way to tell if a riddle is actually written well before having the answer revealed.

A category might be a challenge, but I think it would be a welcomed challenge to a creative writer.

The general consensus seems to be for all rules given.

Zephryl wrote:...People are rapidly going to run out of well-crafted Riddles, and it'll dissolve to where people are either swapping ownership so quickly because they're just posting really easy Riddles, not being able/willing to make harder ones, or where it's taking the maximum time to get a riddle solved, because it's poorly crafted, or the answer only makes sense to the writer...

I think this is pure speculation at this time. You could be right. We'll be able to tell maybe 5 or 6 riddles into it. Also, there's nothing stopping a good "riddleist" from creating and solving riddles, thereby enhancing the evidence that they are indeed the true king or queen .
    I mean if you earn the right to write 3 riddles, then you get 3 slots in the poll.

Zephryl wrote:...On that note, I don't think there needs to be a Time Limit and a Guess Limit, that just means that it can't ever get too popular, if we get 10 people using their 2 guesses then we can force a new Riddle every hour... And it might prevent people going for a "Longshot" answer, which is a bit distressing to me because I highly enjoy thinking of very unlikely answers, and forcing them to fit into the Riddle....

The time limit stays. These are the reasons:

What if I'm in a car wreck and hospitalized for a few weeks? By the very nature of the rules and how they intertwine with each other, the spirit of this thread can continue on.

Heck if I was in the hospital for a few weeks, someone could simply keep track, conclude the thread because of the specified rules, start "Dark Souls Rules with Riddles #2" and the corresponding poll on my behalf and easily continue on without me.

Besides that, once an author is placed into a riddle slot they get entered into the poll regardless if their riddle was solved, or they forgo the answer after 72 hours, or 20 answers given. If their answer made sense in this case, then they would probably get more votes because it went unsolved, especially if the answer, riddle, and explanation made sense.

The 2 guesses per hour, is simply a way for people to not spam answers, when they are clearly frustrated and not understanding the riddle at all. Just because one person might not get it, doesn't mean it doesn't make sense.

Keep in mind, its the poll after the 10 riddles are complete that will determine the king of this thread. If someone got to 20 answers in 15 minutes, there's a good chance their answer and explanation would eb highly sought after, and they would recieve a healthy amount of the votes.

In end, I understand your concerns, but at this time I do not believe you've given a valid reason for change. I'd be more than happy to continue this in private messages, and I am open minded to changing a rule if a sufficient request is made.

Also, do you have a guess lol??? It doesn't appear categories are impeding Wollyhop's riddle...just sayin.

Zephryl
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zephryl on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:50 am

Since it's not the Shotel, I think it's the Dragonslayer Spear, but since it's been said I'm just waiting for a confirmation/denial.

And I'm not saying to remove all the limits, just that having both a Time and a Number of Guesses limit is a bit much. (That's the 20 tops, not the 2/hour one, I'm fine with that one)

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal on Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:03 am

I can't find a way for the thread to live on its own without all the rules in place.

I actually have a dilema.

What if the DSS is correct, and then 20 answers are given tonight. Then someone concludes the riddle and starts their own riddle?

It wouldn't matter if it was 20, 30, or even 40. The author of the riddle could go to bed at answer 38 and it could be the correct one. But 2 more answers are given after they go to sleep, and someone starts a new riddle.

How do I address this guys?

Zephryl
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zephryl on Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:08 am

Give it a time after the 20th guess for the owner to come back... Like, after 20th guess the owner of the Riddle has 12 hours to come confirm before someone can declare it done and post a new one.

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal on Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:44 am

Zephryl wrote:Give it a time after the 20th guess for the owner to come back... Like, after 20th guess the owner of the Riddle has 12 hours to come confirm before someone can declare it done and post a new one.

I like this idea. However, what about in the case of someone sleeping for 8 hours, working for 8, then waiting 3 to check it? What are the most likely occurences that would justify a proper time frame?

The better question is, how can we make the rules to answer for us?

Concerning the current situation, I propose this:

-If the 20 submitted answers are reached and a new riddle ensues before proper justification of all 20 answers are given, then the "true heir to the riddle rights", shall have a new sub-thread created on their behalf. It would be called "Dark Souls Riddles With Rules #1.1". The exact same rules would apply.

-Then the process could repeat to 1.2 or even 1.3. However, no matter which thread riddle #10 was achieved, a poll would be created, and "Dark Souls Riddles With Rules #2" thread would be created. Thereby starting the process over again.

-What you guys think? I'll edit op in morning. I'll also clean it up a bit. Sleep

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal on Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:48 am

Oh ya, here's the current riddle (found in op, post #2):
    *latest answer post #85

Animaaal wrote:*snip...in post #2 SOLVED

Last edited by Animaaal on Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:14 pm; edited 4 times in total

IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI on Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:58 am

Estoc!

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal on Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:04 am

cheers cheers cheers

Did you read my disclaimer???
    Zyrrashijn
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Zyrrashijn on Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:09 am

In case its not the estoc, i will call parrying dagger. Both are the weapons of the Darkmoon Knightess and as shes the Anor Londo Firekeeper, she will be missed once deceased. In addition, Oswald is wielding the parrying dagger, too and he would be missed also, maybe even more.

participations:
    Member of the Paths of the Dragon's Cabal - Join our PC-Chapter, fellow dragonlings!
    Member of the Clergy at Sunlight Coalition

Follow me and DarkwraithBlondie on YouTube as we beat up NG+!

IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI on Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:11 am

I did indeed. You were the only person to respond to my thread/idea by way of a riddle. I don't have time to coordinate something like this, as I've just had a new edition to my family. Thanks for putting this together.

The riddle off should definitely be anonymous, and relied on people's honour to not cheat the system.

We can do a best guesser and after, people can vote for whatever riddle they think was best (and after, a winner is revealed). Best riddler/best poster I'm sure we can give out some prizes (dark souls items?). Anyways, something to be discussed in another thread or PMs.

Do your cheers mean I was correct?

Edit: I'm pretty confident with the Estoc. Right in it's description does it mention piercing a knight.

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal on Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:35 am

IV_Mark_VI wrote:...I did indeed. You were the only person to respond to my thread/idea by way of a riddle. I don't have time to coordinate something like this, as I've just had a new edition to my family. Thanks for putting this together...

I'm honored, you're welcome. Bow

Truth is I absolutely loved your idea about the "10 riddle poll contest thing" and also controlling the answers. Just simply offering a structure upon which the confusion would be minimized. I just tried to expand on it, and am actually trying to turn it into a “turn-key” thread if you know what I mean.

AND CONGRATS SIR!!! TIS JOYOUS! cheers

IV_Mark_VI wrote:...The riddle off should definitely be anonymous, and relied on people's honour to not cheat the system...

Hmmm, I don't know how to do that. People can just look up old posts....but keeping their name off the actual poll would be smart. I just don't have anyway of removing authorship with the design I've put together. I would have to have EVERYTHING sent to me wouldn't I? That kinda defeats the whole damn purpose of some of these rules to save me time lol.

IV_Mark_VI wrote:...Anyways, something to be discussed in another thread or PMs...

Thanks for the input bud. I'm relying on input to fully realize the anticipated "turn-key" system.

IV_Mark_VI wrote:...Do your cheers mean I was correct?...

Lol, no, sorry man. I have no idea if anyone's right lol. I was just happy to see you respond.
    You spawned the whole idea.

Night bud. Sleep

IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI on Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:22 am

That's not all I spawned, and she's finally asleep. Whoo hoo! Time for me to get to bed as well.

Teh_hapy_octopus
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Teh_hapy_octopus on Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:48 am

btw with the 2 guesses per hour, would you be able to guess again an hour later after the first guess or the second?

Zephryl
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zephryl on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:38 am

Teh_hapy_octopus wrote:btw with the 2 guesses per hour, would you be able to guess again an hour later after the first guess or the second?

I think it would be two guesses within the span of an hour~

So if Guess One was at 1:00, and Guess Two at 1:30, then you'll be allowed a third guess at 2:00, and a fourth at 2:30.

I could be wrong, but that's how I see it being.
    Peaceful Wollyhop
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Peaceful Wollyhop on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:45 am

IV_Mark_VI wrote:Estoc!

Congratulations the answer is indeed estoc!

Pick me up for I am not owned but my old master is surely missed,

The weapon is found on a body at the beginning of the New Londo ruins with a grieving hollow next to it.

Knights fear me as I slide between their armor bits.

This was hinting at the weapon being a rapier/thrusting weapon, and yes in the description it also mentions 'piercng knights armout'!

Proper Bow

XBLG - DesertFoX 797

IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:32 pm

So I have 24hrs to come up with a Riddle?

Ok. Busy for awhile but I'll throw something up later. Can't guarantee it'll be good.

NPCWhiteMage
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by NPCWhiteMage on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:40 pm

Ah. I knew it was apiercing weapon! Well played

On the topic of Glitching in PvP:
    WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:Don't be impressed by something like that Gazman. You got cheated out of your online gaming experience by an unscrupulous game exploiter. You didn't get "owned," you were robbed, there is a distinct difference.

XBL Gamertag: SilentWingsXIII (GOLD)
    XBL Gamertag 2: NPC White Mage (SILVER)

Zephryl
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zephryl on Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:14 pm

IV_Mark_VI wrote:So I have 24hrs to come up with a Riddle?

Ok. Busy for awhile but I'll throw something up later. Can't guarantee it'll be good.

Yup! Or, I think you can "Pass" and allow the next riddle to be "First come, first served", or you might have to pass it on to a specific person... I dunno, too lazy to check lol.

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:33 pm

Zephryl wrote:
    IV_Mark_VI wrote:So I have 24hrs to come up with a Riddle?

Yup! Or, I think you can "Pass" and allow the next riddle to be "First come, first served", or you might have to pass it on to a specific person... I dunno, too lazy to check lol.

Yep thanks. Bow

I'll be rewriting all the rules momentarily...it will not effect anything.

IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:48 pm

Ok. Well I have a lot to do today, so can I defer my riddle?

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:52 pm

Yes, most definitely. Is that confirmation?...you cannot "raincheck" it....

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:55 pm

Going once....

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal on Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:04 pm

Riddle 2 edited...updating rules...

Any objection to opening the floor??? Going twice....

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal on Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:36 pm

If there are no objections, the floor is now open.

The first person to post a riddle will be the author of riddle #3. This is open to anyone, including previous participants.

"First come, first serve"

Please keep in mind:

-You must give a category, but are not obligated to give clues.

-You must submit a riddle, answer, and explanation to be entered into the competition poll. However, you are only required to submit a riddle and a category at first.

-You are not obligated to give any clues, or submit an answer and explanation until conclusion. However, if you pm me the answer and explanation, i will assist you in verification, remove myself from this riddle as a guesser, and I shall not give any clues what-so-ever. I am offering this for the author to be a hassle free as possible.
    *refer to post #1 for a full list of rules.

Sun Praise the Sun THE FLOOR IS OPEN, GOOD LUCK! Praise the Sun Sun

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:31 am