Dark Souls Missed Opertunities

WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Dark Souls Missed Opertunities

Post by WandererReece on Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:09 pm

I think there are a few missed opertunities in Dark Souls.

1) The only use for Way of White is getting miracles from Petrus a little early. There is literaly no other use for the covenent.

2) Someone noticed this first, but Chaos Phyromancies do not require the Chaos Covenent.

3) Zephryl mentioned there is no lore for the petrified blacksmiths. I always thought someone or something tried to petrify all the blacksmiths, but only Andre, Giant, Vamos, and Rickert survived. There is also a blacksmith god mentioned in the Demon titanite item description.

These are some missed opertunities. What do you think are some missed opertunities in Dark Souls?

Hollowed

Re: Dark Souls Missed Opertunities

Post by LunarFog on Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:10 pm

Covenants could have been so much immersive, but I already made a topic about that in my signature.

Whips should have had some other niche besides being unparriable.

MacDragon65

Post by MacDragon65 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:14 pm

I agree. I hope DS2 expands on the convenant idea and makes it more impactful.

On a side note, you do not have to join Way of the White to get Petrus to sell you spells. Just keep talking to him and eventually he will give in.

Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece on Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:17 pm

MacDragon65 wrote:On a side note, you do not have to join Way of the White to get Petrus to sell you spells. Just keep talking to him and eventually he will give in.
    WandererReece wrote:1) The only use for Way of White is getting miracles from Petrus a little early. There is literaly no other use for the covenent.

I never typed you had to join.

Post by MacDragon65 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:22 pm

Ah, I see.

Now that I think of it, though, I believe From did intend for Way of the White to somehow influence your ability to see summoning signs from other WotW members. Kind of pointless, but I think there was at least some intention for that covenent to be of use.

Anyway, you're dead on that covenants could have been much more important to the game than they ultimately are.

IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI on Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:28 pm

That's not the only use of Way of White. Apparently how it works behind the scenes is it groups Way of White members together in the same lobbies; if a lot of people were in way of white it would remove dark wraiths, darkmoon blades, everyone not way of white increasing coops and decreasing invasions.

That's how it's supposed to work. I don't know if there's any hard data on if it does work like that though.

I know each lobby has up to 32 people in it; this is why you can't always see a friend's summon sign, as they're in a different lobby, but once you 'connect' then you normally see their sign fast after that.

WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece on Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:32 pm

^ The last time I checked the wiki it stated members of the Way of White are invaded more then other players. No one knows if any covenents affect how often you're invaded. I've also read all players are grouped together based on their covenent. Ex: All Sunbros find each other, and Chaos Servents find each other.

I just though of another missed opertunity. You don't have to be a Gravelord to use any Sword Dance miracle.

Caffeinated

Post by lextune on Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:37 pm

Being in the WoW covenant makes invasions much less frequent.

A Bunch of My Builds

IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI on Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:39 pm

True for the gravelord, but you get a sizeable damage increase if you stay in the covenant.

WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece on Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:42 pm

^ I forgot about that.

Zephryl
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zephryl on Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:54 pm

Beatrice, Shiva, Salaman (Spelling?). Lots of NPCs that are in the game, but not a lot of lore about them.

Also, I wish that the Lord Soul shards could be used to make things...

Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece on Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:07 pm

^ Unused Dialog

Some of the lore was removed. There were even side quest and events that were removed or never finished.

Also, in Demons' Souls you could use boss souls to get new spells. Almost every soul could be turned into a spell. There was only one spell you could get in exchange for a boss soul in Dark Souls. Then they added a second one in the DLC, and I'm guessing it was because players complained.

Obsessed

Post by Fry1156 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:24 pm

I would have liked dks to use boss souls like demons where you could use them for a weapon, magic or miracles.
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:07 pm

WandererReece wrote:^ The last time I checked the wiki it stated members of the Way of White are invaded more then other players. No one knows if any covenents affect how often you're invaded. I've also read all players are grouped together based on their covenent. Ex: All Sunbros find each other, and Chaos Servents find each other.

I just though of another missed opertunity. You don't have to be a Gravelord to use any Sword Dance miracle.
    non Covenant members only get 90% damage, +3 covenant members get 130% damage.
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:51 am

WandererReece wrote:3) Zephryl mentioned there is no lore for the petrified blacksmiths. I always thought someone or something tried to petrify all the blacksmiths, but only Andre, Giant, Vamos, and Rickert survived. There is also a blacksmith god mentioned in the Demon titanite item description.
    The developers simply designed that to be a game mechanic. They had some embers in chests, some with statues. I don't think they realized that it could have a background, and, if they did, it was low on their list. They have a time limit, and they can only do so much sad sadly.

What I really wish they could have expanded on were spells. Some are lame, and some are OP or something. I just want diversity. Flame Sorceries, more boss-soul options, and more uses for faith. I feel like the entirety of faith was just left incomplete. Each part seems rushed, except for the Reah and Petris questline. Sunbro and Gravelord seem rushed in. Especially gravelord. That could have been perfected, connection-wise.

WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:25 am

^ Faith did get more uses in Dark Souls because they added offensive miracles. The only offensive miracle in Demons' Souls was WoG. Although miracles did lose the ability to cure poison to sorcery. I think they did a good job with magic actualy, but I still want my talisman that halfs miracle castings.

Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Ahh. See, I didn't play Demon's. So I'm basing this off of my experience with other games.

Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:57 pm

Miracles are just horrible and needed work.

Pyromancy and elemental weapons needed to be better thought out.
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:09 pm

^ Elemental Weapons needed to be non-existant. They're so OP, and the BB's really what made them so screwed up. There would've been a lot less greifing if they didn't wait almost a year to patch it. I certainly hope they only waited that long because it took that long to find a solution.

Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:19 pm

WandererReece wrote:^ Elemental Weapons needed to be non-existant. They're so OP, and the BB's really what made them so screwed up. There would've been a lot less greifing if they didn't wait almost a year to patch it. I certainly hope they only waited that long because it took that long to find a solution.
    NOPE! Because it's so FREAKING expensive to update a patch on Xbox after your first patch.

psychichobo
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by psychichobo on Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:39 pm

Yeah, the incident with Fez's patch if I recall brought that to light.

I would've liked covenants to affect more parts of the storyline. Like each having a different ending, or related bosses, and so on.

Also, elemental weapons do need fixing. They make life way too easy. Backstabs too, but that's another (hot) topic...
    MosquitoPower
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MosquitoPower on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:55 am

WandererReece wrote: no lore for the petrified blacksmiths.

Maybe its a slight cross over from Demon Souls,

The "Dwarf" type race eventually terns to stone?
    The ones in Demon souls were on their way in that direction.

^
    Its a weak idea for sure, but I thought Id toss it in.
    :drunken:

WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:55 am

^ That actaull makes a little since, even though I don't think there were dwarves in the first game.

Dwarves were master blacksmiths that became petrified when they entered the sun, and a lot of Dark Souls stuff is bassed on Norse Mythology. However, there is one problem. There's a petrified blacksmith in the Tomb of Giants.

Regular

Post by xtal84 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:53 pm

WandererReece wrote:
    3) Zephryl mentioned there is no lore for the petrified blacksmiths. I always thought someone or something tried to petrify all the blacksmiths, but only Andre, Giant, Vamos, and Rickert survived. There is also a blacksmith god mentioned in the Demon titanite item description.

I don't know ... if you reason a certain way, perhaps the lore is right there; you just have to realize it.

Think about it: which embers do you obtain from petrified blacksmiths? Divine (Darkroot), Occult (Painted World) and Large Divine (Tomb of the Giants). Divine and Occult are two sides of the same coin.

Perhaps coincidence, perhaps From simply reusing assets, or perhaps intended: all the petrified blacksmiths bear striking resemblance to Andre, and he of course is the only living blacksmith who can handle these embers.

This leads me to believe they were left this way-- petrified, or encased in stone, if you will-- specifically because of whatever role they played in the Divine and Occult schools of smithing. There are plenty of connections you can draw from there: the Way of White, Velka, Astora and many things related to the Painted World in general; even Priscilla.

Oh Dark Souls, what a wonderful world you are.

:sign:

Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Jodecho on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:29 pm

while i like reading and theorising about possible story elements, the developers commented in an interview that the statues resembeling andre were pure coincidence and there actually isnt any lore behind them.

there were links to that interview somewhere in the forums and i meant to bookmark them because i wanted to show it to a buddy of mine but i accidently closed the window and havent gotten around to looking for it again.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:19 am