Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Help needed landing that leo spear counter!

jaywhy07

Help needed landing that leo spear counter! Empty Help needed landing that leo spear counter!

Post by jaywhy07 Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:11 am

Hi guys, just entered the pvp scene recently. Looking for tips to land that counter damage with spears.

I'm sporting a sl 125 sks pyro build since I'm a great fan of spears in pve and it's kinda a beginner friendly build. The problem is, the dmg i am dishing out is rather mediocre thus i slapped on a leo ring hopefully being able to hit some counter damages. Is there any ways to lure a counter hit in? I am doing an average of only one counter hits per 3 games which is something i'd like to improve on.

This is my build, it would be lovely if you could review it too.
    http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=337808405589460716
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Help needed landing that leo spear counter! Empty Re: Help needed landing that leo spear counter!

Post by Animaaal Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:22 pm

Your build looks pretty decent, you seem to have the basics down...I guess I can only say practice my friend.

Timing is everything when trying to utilize a Leo Ring build.

Something else you might want to consider is a bow. Arrows deal extra counter damage with the Leo Ring, and sometimes its easier to punish some people from a distance. Not that you don't have enough distance already with the SKS lol.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Help needed landing that leo spear counter! Empty Re: Help needed landing that leo spear counter!

Post by LunarFog Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:30 pm

As a master spear user, let me start by saying that when elegance doesn't do the job, then sometimes quantity makes up for it. I have a spear build that relies on the counter damage of the Leo Ring.

Since trying to get counter damage is as hard as trying to land a parry, spamming R1 is your best choice. I would switch to at least medium armor so you can trade hits with other people. That guarantees that you get counter damage. As an offensive type spearman you have to never stop attacking.

Just use a good amount of kicks for parry attempts.
    jaywhy07

Post by jaywhy07 Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:41 am

Thanks for the replies. Guess i'll keep the leo ring on! @lunarfog: what would you recommend for the medium armour? I'm currently at 36 poise and it's working pretty fine for me. Also i tend to trade hits with my shield on.
    Been training at the burg (great space) lately and i've noticed 2 things:

1. One tactic that worked for me is to spam R1s around the start of the fight to lure the parries out. This is when the GC almost always get them for 1 to 2 hits.
    2. I have trouble against greatswords and ultragreats, they are able to match the distance and more often then not i have to be aggresive and get punished by its stunlock or a lag hit.

Also, i've watched ENB's vid of countering recently. Is the dark hand recommended in pvp to land the counter hits easier?
    KrazykevS10
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by KrazykevS10 Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:53 am

jaywhy07 wrote:Thanks for the replies. Guess i'll keep the leo ring on! @lunarfog: what would you recommend for the medium armour? I'm currently at 36 poise and it's working pretty fine for me. Also i tend to trade hits with my shield on.

1. One tactic that worked for me is to spam R1s around the start of the fight to lure the parries out. This is when the GC almost always get them for 1 to 2 hits.
    2. I have trouble against greatswords and ultragreats, they are able to match the distance and more often then not i have to be aggresive and get punished by its stunlock or a lag hit.

Also, i've watched ENB's vid of countering recently. Is the dark hand recommended in pvp to land the counter hits easier?

You do NOT want the dark hand if you plan on turtle poking.A light breeze will break your stability.The crest shield is a solid choice if you don't want the extra stamina regen.And the trick to hitting greatsword users is to wait until they swing and use the recovery time to get a poke or two in.It's worked for me with any weapon that has a thrust attack.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:30 pm

jaywhy07 wrote:Thanks for the replies. Guess i'll keep the leo ring on! @lunarfog: what would you recommend for the medium armour? I'm currently at 36 poise and it's working pretty fine for me. Also i tend to trade hits with my shield on.

Mix and match medium armor with heavy armor if you can stay <50% weight. Some of my favorite medium armors are: Black knight set, bronze set, paladin set, elite knight set, etc. Just anything to get the highest defense.

If you're fighting against ultra greatswords, thats the time to get your shield back and poke while blocking. You should have enough stamina to block a hit and roll away afterwards.

And another tactic to dealing with parry spammers is combustion.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:41 pm