Modding VS Being a poor sport

    Share
    avatar
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1798
    Reputation : 61
    Join date : 2012-07-10

    Re: Modding VS Being a poor sport

    Post by WandererReece on Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:14 am

    reim0027 wrote:First off, this is just a game. Making comparisons to serious real life issues really isn't relevant.

    Ditto.


    _________________
    avatar
    FattyOfDoom
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 510
    Reputation : 12
    Join date : 2012-05-01
    Age : 42
    Location : Scotland YEEEAH

    Re: Modding VS Being a poor sport

    Post by FattyOfDoom on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:10 pm

    reim0027 wrote:First off, this is just a game. Making comparisons to serious real life issues really isn't relevant. Not counting the obvious griefing possibilities, I see a couple sides to this. Practical and moral.

    Practical: Objective measure. It is the same end result. So, if I take a shortcut to get to the exact same end, that's all right. This is assuming everything about the build is fair (no 99 divine blessings, modded health, etc).

    Moral: Subjective measurer. There is a "moral" way to play this game. You should play it proper and by how it is designed.

    The best argument, IMO, for the Moral side is the coop argument. When you make a build from the ground up, you are more likely to summon help, or to offer help to get humanity or souls. If you glitch your toon, this is less likely to happen. Therefore, you are decreasing the online co-op opportunities.
    I got to disagree with you their Reim. As long *** it doesn't affect MY game you can mod your save all you want but if they then invade you with a character with modded health then i can agree with your point. To summarize my point, don't you agree that if they just mod themselves items for PvP, then as long as you don't increase any of your own characters abilities it would be ok?


    _________________
    Billy-Bayonet wrote:I'll Dark Lord your *** so hard, you'll walk like John Wayne for a month!


    Acidic Cook wrote:Ejaculation of the Gods in front of a woman is considered dishonourable... you use Emit Force to make her Ejaculate; That is considered honourable.


    PSN: Helmethed, add me if you wish to duel.
    avatar
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1798
    Reputation : 61
    Join date : 2012-07-10

    Re: Modding VS Being a poor sport

    Post by WandererReece on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:01 pm

    FattyOfDoom wrote:To summarize my point, don't you agree that if they just mod themselves items for PvP, then as long as you don't increase any of your own characters abilities it would be ok?

    That depends on what it is and what they do with it.

    If they give themselves something that isn't in the game, then no.

    If they give themselves Lightning +5 and Chaos +5 weapons on a starting level character in Burg, Parish, or Depths, then no.

    Other stuff is probably fine, but it's just easier to not make exceptions.


    _________________
    avatar
    FattyOfDoom
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 510
    Reputation : 12
    Join date : 2012-05-01
    Age : 42
    Location : Scotland YEEEAH

    Re: Modding VS Being a poor sport

    Post by FattyOfDoom on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:08 pm

    WandererReece wrote:
    FattyOfDoom wrote:To summarize my point, don't you agree that if they just mod themselves items for PvP, then as long as you don't increase any of your own characters abilities it would be ok?

    That depends on what it is and what they do with it.

    If they give themselves something that isn't in the game, then no.

    If they give themselves Lightning +5 and Chaos +5 weapons on a starting level character in Burg, Parish, or Depths, then no.

    Other stuff is probably fine, but it's just easier to not make exceptions.
    While that is true, i don't mind as long as it helps their pvp character. (Unless it's like a SL1 with a chaos hand axe)


    _________________
    Billy-Bayonet wrote:I'll Dark Lord your *** so hard, you'll walk like John Wayne for a month!


    Acidic Cook wrote:Ejaculation of the Gods in front of a woman is considered dishonourable... you use Emit Force to make her Ejaculate; That is considered honourable.


    PSN: Helmethed, add me if you wish to duel.
    avatar
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1798
    Reputation : 61
    Join date : 2012-07-10

    Re: Modding VS Being a poor sport

    Post by WandererReece on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:24 pm

    FattyOfDoom wrote:While that is true, i don't mind as long as it helps their pvp character. (Unless it's like a SL1 with a chaos hand axe)

    Exactly, the worst part is a few players actually think that's completely ok. They have the nerve to state a normal +0 vs chaos +5 / lightning +5 is fair!

    Also, I don't mind it either, but only if they don't use it to make a starting level elemental build or something similar.

    I used the BB to give 3 normal +15 weapons and upgraded armor to my new PvP build, but I didn't use the stuff until I got the Lorvessal and found the Very Large Ember. I also used them when I was invaded by people who obviously BB glitched.

    I also used the BB to give a Moonlight Greatsword +0 to my mage, but I didn't use it until I beat Seath. It was just a fail safe, and it was a good thing I did. My phantoms and I couldn't cut the tail off.

    I don't think it was unfair, but it was technically cheating, and I won't try to defend myself if someone wants to hate me for it.


    _________________
    avatar
    reim0027
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Posts : 6715
    Reputation : 381
    Join date : 2012-01-28

    Re: Modding VS Being a poor sport

    Post by reim0027 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:38 pm

    Fatty - that would fall under the "Practical" argument I mentioned. I also didn't say which argument I agreed with (practical vs moral), just grouping the main points of view.

    However, the practical argument is slightly flawed. By doing the modding, you are less likely to do coop. Since you have an insta-build, you are less likely to summon others than if you were making a build from scratch. This does negatively affect others.


    _________________


    PSN usernames: reim0027_2,   reim0027_3,  and reim0027_5.  Skype ID: reim0027  
    Tour of Lordran Soul Levels  //  Official Wiki Fight Club // Forest Invasion Soul Levels // Low Level Invasion Rules

    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3419
    Reputation : 175
    Join date : 2013-01-17

    Re: Modding VS Being a poor sport

    Post by Animaaal on Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:37 pm

    reim0027 wrote:......... By doing the modding, you are less likely to do coop. Since you have an insta-build, you are less likely to summon others than if you were making a build from scratch. This does negatively affect others.

    Yes, it could almost be avoided if you still co-op'd a lot for some strange reason, but yes.

    This and low level griefing are my only 2 concerns.
    avatar
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 775
    Reputation : 42
    Join date : 2013-01-09
    Location : World of the Guilty

    Re: Modding VS Being a poor sport

    Post by Hugh_G_Johnson on Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:38 pm

    Is no one concerned about taking shortcuts in terms of gaining pvp experience? In other words: say you're fairly new have just transitioned into mediocrity and you fight a guy who's played the game half as long as you... would you be ok if he had twice as much experience pvp'ing and had been able to try out 10 different builds in pvp without having to struggle through pve (other than to gain access to pvp areas) in the time it took you to do 3 characters because he used save mods?


    _________________

    Messengers of Velka proudly allied with: The Exiled  Coffee! MoV Chat Coffee!
    avatar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1206
    Reputation : 106
    Join date : 2012-08-07

    Re: Modding VS Being a poor sport

    Post by Seignar on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:31 pm

    Well, personally yes. Because that would mean I technically have more PvE experience. There is really no point in getting an angry at a player's good fortune so long he isn't doing it at your own expense.

    This is a post directed to Hugh, I'll make sure to make a future post related to the actual topic question...when I can think of enough words to make a sound argument.

    avatar
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1798
    Reputation : 61
    Join date : 2012-07-10

    Re: Modding VS Being a poor sport

    Post by WandererReece on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:39 pm

    Hugh_G_Johnson wrote:Is no one concerned about taking shortcuts in terms of gaining pvp experience?

    If the shortcut doesn't put me at a disadvantage in terms of stats and gear then I'm ok with it. When I type stats I mean the stats are legit and not edited.


    _________________

    Sponsored content

    Re: Modding VS Being a poor sport

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:28 pm