Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Affinity System

Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Affinity System Empty Affinity System

Post by Seignar Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:33 pm

I think Dark Souls II could benefit from a Affinity System. Now, for those that don't know what I;m talking about: An Affinity System is a mechanic where you can boost your relationship either positively or negatively with an NPC. Having a high enough (or low enough) affinity will grant you events with that character.

So, how would this system work? It can vary from NPC to NPC, maybe some people like money; others, companionship; others, murder. By performing several deeds that NPC finds pleasing (or displeasing), you can boost your affinity with them or lower it; you'll either get benefits or consequences. To make an example:

Bunch of examples you can skip
    Spoiler:

Affinity could also be tied to Covenants (Mister Cleric won't like if you don't join the Cleric Club), Events with other NPC (Mister Jerk Cleric won't like you saved Miss Important Cleric) or maybe even your online activities (The Sunman was informed by the Sun-Angels!)

This can lead players to balance Dungeon Crawling with average Undead life Affinity Rankings in between NPC as you travel the land (Seeing as interests can conflict). As it is, the game, with NPCs has a strict order to score the highest benefits (Save Rhea, then Kill Petrus (After you Dark Hand him), then buy all Rhea's stuff, then kill Rhea (After you Dark Hand her). With affinity, you can create another dimension by extending benefits to your actions.

There could even be a covenant where the whole requirement to join it is to kill someone with maxed affinity. Lots of stuff to work around here...

However, I doubt this will get added.
    jaythibodeau
    jaythibodeau
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Affinity System Empty Re: Affinity System

Post by jaythibodeau Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:37 am

+1 For Persona reference. big grin

This is definitely something that I'd love to see! Mostly because of the countless possibilities it could add to the game. Such as being able to summon different NPCs for a boss.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:50 am

I hope for this. Dragon's Dogma did this very well. The love interest part doesn't fit Souls, though.
    samster628
    samster628
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by samster628 Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:26 am

Yes. Weave a web of connections so you can pull at the strings to manipulate the world to your will!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:58 am