Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+23
Forum Pirate
SpecialNewb
Emergence
BIG TIME MASTER
steveswede
Johnthethird
Dilaudid281
Rynn
Animaaal
Frank_White
samster628
Buggy Virus
Ashran
mr_no_face
Seignar
Soris Ice Goldwing
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Acarnatia
messremb
DE5PA1R
Serious_Much
DemonOfFate
Orango19
27 posters

PETS, anyone?

Frank_White
    Frank_White
    Addicted
    Addicted

PETS, anyone? - Page 4 Empty Re: PETS, anyone?

Post by Frank_White Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:52 pm

Yes, please do link us someone from FromSoft saying that there are "chaos creatures". I've read the interviews and they didn't say that.

From the item descriptions regarding Arstor, it does seem like he is an engineering oriented scientist more than a magician, so this kind of seals the deal. Not saying that there couldn't be a mad scientist in Astora, but we already KNOW there basically is one in Carim.

The fact that knight & elite knight armors have blue in them doesn't really mean anything. Besides, some of the areas in the trailer have nothing to do with the game. They said there will not be snowy areas for example, even though the trailer has some.

And trust me, there is more information about Carim than Astora in Dark Souls. Go and talk to every NPC and read all item descriptions again and you'll see.

The crow flying higher when it leaves from the Asylum doesn't mean anything... You're over-analyzing things quite a lot to be honest. Or are you a bird expert?

The dragon could be the Evil Eye. This is your only reasonable argument, the rest was a bit far-fetched.
    DE5PA1R
    DE5PA1R
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by DE5PA1R Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:54 pm

Frank_White wrote:There are subtle hints.
    1. No shields in the trailer.

Fair point.

2. More information about Carim than other kingdoms in Dark Souls.

Not sure how that's relevant. Also, there's quite a bit of info about Astora.

3. Shibuya mentioning that there is a mad scientist in DkS II who has created monsters through experimentation. Arstor of Carim is known to be mad, and possibly a scientist (item descriptions at least tell us he is a violent inventor of magical artifacts).

True, but it's just 1 guy. Could be coincidence. Also, we're still unsure of the timeline.

4. Shibuya and Miyazaki mentioning the even darker nature of DkSII compared to DkS. Carim is the creepiest known kingdom in Dark Souls universe as of now.

"Dark Beast who assaulted Astora" sounds pretty dark. But yes, human experimentation is also pretty creepy. The darker nature could/probably was referring to the more somber mood. Shibuya focused specifically on sadness during the interview.

5. "Forever without light" mentioned in the trailer. Of course this possibly could refer to the Age of Dark which likely begun after the events of Dark Souls, but it could also be referring to the darkness of Carim - as you can see from the character creation screen, people of Carim are extremely pale. They must not get very much sunlight.

Astoran nobles are also pale.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:11 pm

So, the pets will be one-eyed experiments from Astora or Carim? jj lol

Ya so pets...

Again, I would love to see this idea implemented. I don't want another "phantom" with me so to speak, but I think that some pet ideas would be awesome.

What if you had a pet that had practically no hp, but mildly regenerated yours?

What if there were "shield pets" for mid-rollers? Say it absorbed 3 backstabs/riptoses for ultra weapon mid-roller builds.

What if pets were restricted to "summoner builds"? Say after meeting the stat requirements for summoning, you could really only equip a dagger, or short sword or something.

Again, I like the idea and think it fits the series just fine.
    Frank_White
    Frank_White
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Frank_White Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:20 pm

Pets are nice in some games, like Torchlight II where they can sell your loot so you don't have to visit towns all the time.
    Just not in Souls, would lessen the mood.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:53 pm

Hmmm...

What if there was a pet that aggro'd, but worked like the Calamity Ring?...that would be completely counter-productive i guess lol.

What if it was like that "spider chest" enemy from the illustrations released? Say it absorbed souls, but increased defenses?

I'm not trying to argue, I understand how a pet could be outside of the "soul series mentality". I just think there's a way to make a pet/summoning system that could fit the series....I just dont know how i guess.

Frank_White
    Frank_White
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Frank_White Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:14 pm

Well, I doubt many Souls fans would like the idea of permanent pets. But I'm sure most can approve of summoned ones, like summoning some kind of astral animal that helps you for a minute (limited castings of course).
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:21 pm

There's got to be some super-sick ideas better than anything I can come up with to persuade even the most hardcore fans...

...I just wish I knew one lol.

I agree if it was some stupida$$ sprite or something, it would not be soulish.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:53 pm

As far as pets, go, a sprite is the most fitting thing I think of. It's a floating soul that's had it's mind reprogrammed or something like that. That's actually pretty morbid.
    Hm. That sounds like having a will-o-the-wisp as a pet.

That or being a witch with a familiar or a necromancer with a permanent skeleton ally/pawn.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:15 pm

A good way they could implement a pet that would compliment the Souls vibe is by having wandering creatures (like a dog) that may seldom follow you on their own accord. Think Shadow of the Colossus. Sometimes while riding a falcon would swoop down and follow you for a minute.
    Now apply that to a Souls game. You are wandering through a dungeon and encounter a feral mutt which seems to take a liking to you and follows you silently for a time before it wanders off, or more likely gets roflstomped.
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:34 pm

Actually, if anyone recalls, an interview did say there would be mad scientist that is responsable for some monsters you face, in addition to a parasitic bug that controls you. It is possible that either of these could be used as a form of pet (Experiments or taming a parasitic bug).

However, the idea of pets is still far-fetched at most as having an additional A.I to help you easily breaks balance. Or have none of you found it useful how easily an A.I partner works as a meatshield?
    messremb
    Regular
    Regular

Post by messremb Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:06 pm

I still think we should be able to spawn creatures in another's world with item drops. Creating a"pet" if you will, that we would obviously never get to see. I.e, a dropped dragon scale could spawn something like one of the lightning drakes in someone else's world, or a dropped slab could spawn a Prowling Demon, basically at any random location, and possibly make them a mobile threat. Hell, a dropped full Shadow Set could spawn the ninja bodyguard! Things and creatures will likely be different in the next game, so just using the devil I know right now with this game. They' couldn't be just ordinary items though that would spawn grief though, they'd have to be either rarer items, or items that you can only find once per playthrough, as their needs to be some risk with the reward there, imo.

The drawbacks are numerous though, I would imagine. One, you'd never get to see the fruits of your labor, except for maybe getting all of the killed player's souls and several of their humanities, etc. If the random player in random world killed your creature, then you'd likely never know..... would make some good Youtube vids though! cheers
    SpecialNewb
    SpecialNewb
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by SpecialNewb Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:35 am

^That's the best version with the idea I've read so far. I wonder... upgrades. To go with your (messremb's) example:

1. A fully upgraded dropped shadow set spawns a BP ninja with flippity ring and maybe pyro. It's AI likes to throw in some rollbs.
    2. Defeat the Ninja and you will get the "Deep Shadow Set." Same model, different textures.
    3. But it also has a special feature, if you upgrade it completely you can activate a fog-ring type effect for 15 seconds after 1 minute of recharge or something.

It would make beating one of these have some worth for the extra fashion souls alone, and turn griefing into a more positive experience for the victim but 15 seconds of fog ring hiding isn't that OP an effect. It's less than Hidden Body is now. I could take or leave this idea, but what do you think? Stupid?
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:10 am

Have we established that the answer is no yet? It is, just so you know.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:11 am

I agree. Just say no to drugs.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:07 pm

Something like that already exists-vagrants. They're just so rare that they play almost no part.
    messremb
    Regular
    Regular

Post by messremb Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:25 pm

I get that we have vagrants, and they are rare. That's my point. Let's make them salt mor powerful and potentially less rare, with a higher payoff. I don't want a personal pet at all, as it takes away from the game immensely in my opinion, but I'd like to create one in this gravelordesque style. Like I said, it would likely be very hard to pull off though. Just an idea to throw in the mixer is all.

Plus, I got sick of reading 4 pages of pedantic arguement of blah blah silly ****....
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:56 pm

Acarnatia wrote:Something like that already exists-vagrants. They're just so rare that they play almost no part.

Ya.

While I agree it could be expanded on and it would be cool,
    I’m not dropping good farm loot to spawn a black phantom in someone’s world
    (where they might die before they fight them), and I’d sad if it was the best idea they could come up with
    if it were to happen.

Pets are possible. I want summons. Stat requirements similar to the Washing Pole or something.
    Something with good movesets. Totally possible imo.
    Combat is slow enough and unique enough to allow for something like this.

We already have them in a way if you think about it. :idea:
    Using an enemy is very advantageous already.
    There is absolutely room for improvement.

I want to summon an invisible ninja cat. PETS, anyone? - Page 4 2667844452
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:17 pm

cool idea gets bump
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:51 pm

I think it would be cool as long as they can't be used well for PvP.
    Imagine running around with a pet that gives increased Stamina regen... you wouldn't even need to carry around grass.
    If pets were added, I'd want them to have a MINIMAL boost, such as the second post saying the Tiny Mushroom, his punches should only do like 5-15 damage. Maybe a Thunderbird that shoots lightning and stuns the target when it hits and does 1 damage (so you know which target was hit). Wouldn't have to work on bosses, but against other players the likelihood of it hitting would be minimal so it wouldn't matter anyway.
    Ichikuro
    Ichikuro
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Ichikuro Fri May 03, 2013 12:28 pm

Imagine how ###### ######### AWESOME it would be to pet Sif!
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Fri May 03, 2013 1:01 pm

Ichikuro wrote:Imagine how ###### ######### AWESOME it would be to pet Sif!

you take Sif, Kalameet will be my pet.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Fri May 03, 2013 1:14 pm

I want a pet Gough, it could be like this:

Spoiler:
    MerrickGraves
    MerrickGraves

Post by MerrickGraves Sat May 04, 2013 11:14 am

No,stop it.
    It'd totally ruin the "Souls" feeling I get. Undead Rapport is as far as it should go.
    Assume it would,I could only see it being balanced out by having 1/4th your HP,specials? Sure. No growth,unable to help you invade,once it dies,that's it. Should be twice as rare as Slabs. Just a minor meatshield.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content