Armored Core V

BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Armored Core V

Post by BIG TIME MASTER on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:29 pm

This game is complicated, which typically turns me off instantly, but somehow FROM makes a game that I enjoy learning.

Anybody else playing this? Want to become allies?
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Re: Armored Core V

Post by The Letter X on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:39 pm

I just can't play another Armored Core after :For Answer. No mecha game compares to it for me.

Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:43 am

I've never played any of em. I kinda like complicated. Goes hand in hand with being a fan of some of the more obscure srpg's. Maybe I'll check it out at some point. I promised myself I wouldn't buy any more games until I thinned out my backlog some though. I have a pretty sizable one at the moment.

TIGER UPPERCUT!

PSN: PlasticAndRage
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:33 pm

I'm enjoying it.

I am building mechs like a factory. I am still trying to learn all the pro's and con's of different equipment.

The game isn't terribly hard like DKS, but you will come to fights where you can't win without reevaluating your setup. It is a learning process, and FROM makes it fun.

The story and dialogue are horrendous, which surprised me. I just skip the cut-scenes and turn the voice volume down way low. It sounds like anime or something, waaaay cheesy. That's the only real complaint.
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:46 pm

Are you playing it on PS3 or the 360?

Obsessed

Post by NPCWhiteMage on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:52 pm

The Letter X wrote:I just can't play another Armored Core after :For Answer. No mecha game compares to it for me.
    ^This

On the topic of Glitching in PvP:
    WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:Don't be impressed by something like that Gazman. You got cheated out of your online gaming experience by an unscrupulous game exploiter. You didn't get "owned," you were robbed, there is a distinct difference.

XBL Gamertag: SilentWingsXIII (GOLD)
    XBL Gamertag 2: NPC White Mage (SILVER)
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:00 pm

It's an action game right?

The only games centered around mechs that I've ever really gotten into were the Front Mission games, and I really enjoyed them. 4 Especially.

TIGER UPPERCUT!

BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:47 am

I am on PS3. PSN ID is blak_baboon.

It is action, for sure. It doesn't play like your usual shooter, like the MechAssault games did, though. Using the environment tactically and mission prep are the keys to not dying. You'll spend loads of time tinkering with mechs in the workshop, placing decals and always trying to get the perfect build. It is addicting, and the game play is fun. I am still figuring things out. I couldn't get any decent info beyond the basics from the Wiki.

Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:50 am

The Letter X wrote:I just can't play another Armored Core after :For Answer. No mecha game compares to it for me.
    This so much.

I love mecha games and I've player almost all AC games released in EU, with AC:FA being the very best mecha game I had the pleasure to play. The changes that AC V brought...I don't like them one bit.

BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:50 am

The actual combat usually consist of me scanning an area and figuring which enemies to attack with what weapons, and then barging in to execute the plan. Then things go crazy as I get swarmed and sniped and mortared and I find myself racing backwards through streets blasting into pursuing AC's.

Mech vs mech battles play out something like a dog fight, where you are both trying to gain an altitude advantage, sweep in and out from buildings, and trying to out circle the enemies guns. On top of that, the weapons and type of mech you have built are going to change the way you engage enemies.
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:07 am

In AC:FA I was something the community calls the Blader, or so I was told. I used dual swords (purple ones I think), with one shorter sword (yellow?) and some small yet powerful gun as backup (had only a few shots). I tweaked the mech for days to be able to use the hyper boost, or what's it called and fly infinitely and attack at the same time.
    People hated on it a LOT. Only few weeks ago I discovered that these are generally frowned upon, especially if I can one shot even high HP mechs due to some damage boost I get for using the blade in hyper speed mode and the special attack when you cut with both blades at the same time.

You can't do that in AC V, or so I was told. I only tried it for a bit and didn't like the scanning and the slower pace one bit.

PS: I apologize for the lack of proper names. It's been a long time for me, so I forgot a lot of it.

Hogire

Post by Hogire on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:28 am

AC4 (not FA) is better then both them games and any AC game before 4s (once again not FAs) time is even greater then FA and V. FA just took everything that made AC4 a great game and boosted the speed to stupid amounts where it can sometimes even lag the game for you or cause you to warp for other people pretty much other people would see you teleport to one side to the other while to you you wouldnt be doing anything but boosting, in 4 this is less uncommon since blades are fairly useless to any player who knows what they are doing in a gun fight and in fact lobbies are divided between playing guns or just blading (which you guessed it use nothing but blades and wrap..a lot). AC4A has a great story but the multiplayer is bad in so many ways i don't even wanna list right now bc its late and ACV is just a whole other mess not getting into all the things that's wrong with it i'll just say its skill curve is extremely toned down and the complexity is something a monkey could figure out in a week since all you really need to know is how the DEF. works and what the best weapons are which can easily be solved by looking around on the internet in fact its all just heavily build based and anything but the best weapons is pretty useless unless your fighting someone who has a huge weakness to the weapon type which wont happen unless your fighting someone brand new. I only scratched the surface of the problems in ACV theres so much wrong with it that there would just be to much to type right now and AC4A is just a messed up version of AC4 only thing it really has going for it is better graphics. If you plan on getting ACV though or have it already you should be aware that its going to be re released soon as a whole new game called ACV: Verdict Day.
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:35 am

Can you share something more about ACV: Verdict Day?
    I'd love to get some mecha game, but ACV just wasn't "it" for me.

Hogire

Post by Hogire on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:38 am

Dont even bother with it if you didnt like ACV all VD is, is them fixing their major screw ups like how they did conquest mode and they'll just be throwing more parts in nothing at its core will change so it'll just be the same game to you most likely
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:40 am

Hogire wrote:AC4 (not FA) is better then both them games and any AC game before 4s (once again not FAs) time is even greater then FA and V. FA just took everything that made AC4 a great game and boosted the speed to stupid amounts where it can sometimes even lag the game for you or cause you to warp for other people pretty much other people would see you teleport to one side to the other while to you you wouldnt be doing anything but boosting, in 4 this is less uncommon since blades are fairly useless to any player who knows what they are doing in a gun fight and in fact lobbies are divided between playing guns or just blading (which you guessed it use nothing but blades and wrap..a lot). AC4A has a great story but the multiplayer is bad in so many ways i don't even wanna list right now bc its late and ACV is just a whole other mess not getting into all the things that's wrong with it i'll just say its skill curve is extremely toned down and the complexity is something a monkey could figure out in a week since all you really need to know is how the DEF. works and what the best weapons are which can easily be solved by looking around on the internet in fact its all just heavily build based and anything but the best weapons is pretty useless unless your fighting someone who has a huge weakness to the weapon type which wont happen unless your fighting someone brand new. I only scratched the surface of the problems in ACV theres so much wrong with it that there would just be to much to type right now and AC4A is just a messed up version of AC4 only thing it really has going for it is better graphics. If you plan on getting ACV though or have it already you should be aware that its going to be re released soon as a whole new game called ACV: Verdict Day.

I liked everything you mentioned about For Answer. Even if it wasn't what the original AC was going for, it takes the cake for me as the best AC game.

Post by Hogire on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:47 am

Im fine if thats your favorite out of the AC series, i know people who did bad in both and love ACV for its stupid simplicity, not saying ACFA is simple by all means i think both AC4 as well as 4A are the most complicated but as far as ive experienced both from playing the game and hearing arguments as to why its good if not better, well frankly they all suck AC4A had more of a intent to hand hold then AC4 did which ones again doesnt have to bad but i feel what they chose to change was horrific, a gunning lobby should have to worry about chasing shadows and having their bullets hit and no damage being done as well as speed that can out run anything to everyone runs out of ammo or going from one side of the map to another just by locking on and swinging a blade once (which against inexperienced players would probably get you a hit) The community for AC4F is also bad though im sure with ACV coming out has either drawn a lot of players interest or turned them severely off AC games in general
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:04 pm

You must punctuate!
    Hogire

Post by Hogire on Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:09 pm

Ya sorry about that i was typing at like 7 in the mourning for me I was really tired.
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:28 pm

BIG TIME MASTER wrote:I am on PS3. PSN ID is blak_baboon.

It is action, for sure. It doesn't play like your usual shooter, like the MechAssault games did, though. Using the environment tactically and mission prep are the keys to not dying. You'll spend loads of time tinkering with mechs in the workshop, placing decals and always trying to get the perfect build. It is addicting, and the game play is fun. I am still figuring things out. I couldn't get any decent info beyond the basics from the Wiki.

Sounds good to me. I'm a big fan of deep customization, and From's never let me down before.

TIGER UPPERCUT!

The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:29 pm

I'd probably give it another go if you were playing it on the 360, BTM, but Dark Souls will do for now.

Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:22 am

I actually just sold my PS3 and xbox. I wish I could have played ACV more, I was just getting to know yet, but my video game days are drawing to a close.
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:22 am

BIG TIME MASTER wrote:I actually just sold my PS3 and xbox. I wish I could have played ACV more, I was just getting to know yet, but my video game days are drawing to a close.

That makes me sad. I loathe the day I need to face that fact.

Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:45 am

I'm actually really excited. I am finally getting my life headed in the direction I want.
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:02 am

Well that's good. As long as it's what you want you're golden.

Casual

Post by Sevans on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:02 am

I really enjoyed ACV, it really felt like a breath of fresh air to the series. But there are (or were, at least -- I haven't played it in a while) some serious balance issues.

I've been playing AC since the very first game on PSX. Own'em all. I did not like the direction the game went with AC4 and AC4:FA; They just felt off.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:32 pm