Magic spammers? Really?

    Share
    avatar
    Dutchy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 432
    Reputation : 8
    Join date : 2013-01-31
    Location : Out there

    Magic spammers? Really?

    Post by Dutchy on Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:42 pm

    This has been about for a little while, but i've let it slide because it happened once in a blue moon. But now it's every second invasion! I don't have a problem with the new dark magic or magic alltogether, it's part of the game, it's all cool. But I don not expect this from SL120 PvP. I just got invaded, the guy did a curteous bow, as did I. Then the guy whips out his halberd, Pursuers up, crystal magic weapon, then pulls out his catalyst. I was like cool, i'll wait for crystal magic to run out then attack, but no, as i'm vainly dodging the pursuers, he casts crystal soul spear multiple times. The duel lasted all of 20 seconds. Why? Yoou are SL 120, you no longer need souls, so why not make it enjoyable for yourself. Magic is supposed to be a sort-of supporting role, not your main means of defeating everyone in history ever. Geesh. /rant


    _________________
    XBL: Dutchy47
    avatar
    Phoenix Rising
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 892
    Reputation : 29
    Join date : 2012-05-04
    Age : 39

    Re: Magic spammers? Really?

    Post by Phoenix Rising on Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:52 pm

    Yeah I love gettin one-shotted...makes invasions fun! :evil:


    _________________
    XBL: I Aim v Here I

    Neowraith - Scarred Lord
    avatar
    quench
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 122
    Reputation : 4
    Join date : 2012-07-19
    Age : 27
    Location : glasgow

    Re: Magic spammers? Really?

    Post by quench on Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:55 pm

    i've said it once and i'll say it again i hate that purple **** lol i feel your pain brother good advice that i was given was strong magic shield or roll towards the pursuers


    _________________
    "she has become a home for demons and a haunt for every evil spirit a haunt for every unclean and detestable bird" REVELATION 17:14  :weap-magic:
    avatar
    Phoenix Rising
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 892
    Reputation : 29
    Join date : 2012-05-04
    Age : 39

    Re: Magic spammers? Really?

    Post by Phoenix Rising on Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:59 pm

    Crest shield is your friend... happy


    _________________
    XBL: I Aim v Here I

    Neowraith - Scarred Lord
    avatar
    Dutchy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 432
    Reputation : 8
    Join date : 2013-01-31
    Location : Out there

    Re: Magic spammers? Really?

    Post by Dutchy on Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:00 pm

    Good advice, but that's one thing I hate, I don't want to have to rework an entire build just to win 50% of my matches. But i'm actually quite pleased with my current set-up.


    _________________
    XBL: Dutchy47
    avatar
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

    Posts : 8742
    Reputation : 221
    Join date : 2012-02-16
    Age : 29
    Location : The Painted World

    Re: Magic spammers? Really?

    Post by WyrmHero on Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:04 pm

    You need to get better at dodging spells. For Pursuers you have to dodge towards them and let the iframes do the work. It can be done even by mid roll. Lag always is a ***** so you have to be more careful with fast roll. With DWGR is much easier. BTW one of my builds is a pure mage so magic can be used offensively as well.


    _________________
    PSN: WyrmHero1945

    Dedicated Blade of the Darkmoon.
    Chaos Legion Str weapons covenant

    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3419
    Reputation : 175
    Join date : 2013-01-17

    Re: Magic spammers? Really?

    Post by Animaaal on Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:06 pm

    Pursuers --> CSS is devastating. I think its a cheap combo, especially with the TCC, BDCR, and them uglya$$ ears.

    Strong Magic Shield and Great Magic Barrier work wonders against it. GMB is obviously better because you dont have to block for it to work. However it has an enormous stat investment. On the other hand SMS can still be destroyed by dead angles.

    Although I think its cheap, I still think dead angling WoG is cheaper.
    avatar
    Dutchy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 432
    Reputation : 8
    Join date : 2013-01-31
    Location : Out there

    Re: Magic spammers? Really?

    Post by Dutchy on Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:10 pm

    What you say is very true. WoG I actually stand a chance at avoiding, if they don't have 40 dex, which most don't, it's easily telegraphed. Sometimes it does connect, but with this tac, there is really no chance. And Wyrm, I know dodging forward helps, but then I run right into his CSS silly I just can't win


    _________________
    XBL: Dutchy47
    avatar
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

    Posts : 8742
    Reputation : 221
    Join date : 2012-02-16
    Age : 29
    Location : The Painted World

    Re: Magic spammers? Really?

    Post by WyrmHero on Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:18 pm

    I thought so, you'll have to spam dodge backwards and to the side then. Fast roll's iframes aren't enough to dodge all Pursuers + CSS sometimes. It depends on when you finish the roll if CSS hasn't hit you by then.


    _________________
    PSN: WyrmHero1945

    Dedicated Blade of the Darkmoon.
    Chaos Legion Str weapons covenant
    avatar
    Dutchy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 432
    Reputation : 8
    Join date : 2013-01-31
    Location : Out there

    Re: Magic spammers? Really?

    Post by Dutchy on Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:19 pm

    So basically in the hands of luck mostly silly


    _________________
    XBL: Dutchy47
    avatar
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 961
    Reputation : 48
    Join date : 2012-12-09
    Age : 25

    Re: Magic spammers? Really?

    Post by Saturday-Saint on Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:57 pm

    Dutchy wrote:TWhy? Yoou are SL 120, you no longer need souls, so why not make it enjoyable for yourself.
    Why do you assume that nobody could ever enjoy using magic in PvP?

    Dutchy wrote:Magic is supposed to be a sort-of supporting role, not your main means of defeating everyone in history ever.
    I doubt you have enough insight into the development of Dark Souls for this statement to be even remotely credible, but even if it was, who cares what it's supposed to be? It is what it is, and that's all that matters.


    _________________
    Joking aside.

    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3419
    Reputation : 175
    Join date : 2013-01-17

    Re: Magic spammers? Really?

    Post by Animaaal on Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:04 pm

    Saturday-Saint wrote:
    Dutchy wrote:TWhy? Yoou are SL 120, you no longer need souls, so why not make it enjoyable for yourself.
    Why do you assume that nobody could ever enjoy using magic in PvP?

    I’ll second that.

    Saturday-Saint wrote:
    Dutchy wrote:Magic is supposed to be a sort-of supporting role, not your main means of defeating everyone in history ever.
    I doubt you have enough insight into the development of Dark Souls for this statement to be even remotely credible, but even if it was, who cares what it's supposed to be? It is what it is, and that's all that matters.

    That’s kinda harsh. Furthermore, I support his accusation.
    avatar
    Dutchy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 432
    Reputation : 8
    Join date : 2013-01-31
    Location : Out there

    Re: Magic spammers? Really?

    Post by Dutchy on Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:18 pm

    Woah, calm down. I only make the assumption that people don't enjoy using magic for OHKO's because I know I wouldn't. I don't see satisfaction in walking up to an opponent, pressing a couple buttons and watching as in-game mechanics does the work for me. Evidently, you do, which I am not judging for. I have a full magic build too, I just don't find it that hard is all. I have a right to vocate my opinion just as you have a right to vocate yours (which you do with quite some authority mind you). What I said about magic being supporting role, wasn't relly what I was aiming for, it was just to emphasis the point that I don't think the PvP of the game was made for blasting fools with a Colt fourty spear. It seems a bit narrow minded just to say " It is what it is, and that's all that matters." if you don't mind me saying. Why do we simply have to accept that this is the way magic is/supposed to be. We are the consumer's, ultimately, it is whatever we want it to be. And please, less hostility 😢 I'm relatively new here sad


    _________________
    XBL: Dutchy47
    avatar
    reim0027
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Posts : 6715
    Reputation : 381
    Join date : 2012-01-28

    Re: Magic spammers? Really?

    Post by reim0027 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:21 pm

    They cast pursuers, expect them to have Dark Bead. Don't roll toward them to dodge the pursuers. You'll roll right into Dark Bead or CSS (and they are still locked on to you) - easy damage for them. Roll to the side over and over. It will also make you harder to target. You can easily dodge Dark Bead, as long as you aren't overly aggressive. They use it because it works. But, you can counter it, and avoid it. Have a long range weapon in your inventory to keep distance from Dark Bead.

    If you build isn't made that way, then, honestly, that is your fault, not theirs. You just min/maxed a poor way for their build. That is a risk you take when you min/max.

    For example, you know many people use kats or GT to bleed. So, if you make your armor have huge poise with poor bleed defense, and they bleed you out, that is the risk you take when making that sacrifice.


    _________________


    PSN usernames: reim0027_2,   reim0027_3,  and reim0027_5.  Skype ID: reim0027  
    Tour of Lordran Soul Levels  //  Official Wiki Fight Club // Forest Invasion Soul Levels // Low Level Invasion Rules

    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3419
    Reputation : 175
    Join date : 2013-01-17

    Re: Magic spammers? Really?

    Post by Animaaal on Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:23 pm

    Dutchy wrote:Woah, calm down. I only make the assumption that people don't enjoy using magic for OHKO's because I know I wouldn't. I don't see satisfaction in walking up to an opponent, pressing a couple buttons and watching as in-game mechanics does the work for me. Evidently, you do, which I am not judging for. I have a full magic build too, I just don't find it that hard is all. I have a right to vocate my opinion just as you have a right to vocate yours (which you do with quite some authority mind you). What I said about magic being supporting role, wasn't relly what I was aiming for, it was just to emphasis the point that I don't think the PvP of the game was made for blasting fools with a Colt fourty spear. It seems a bit narrow minded just to say " It is what it is, and that's all that matters." if you don't mind me saying. Why do we simply have to accept that this is the way magic is/supposed to be. We are the consumer's, ultimately, it is whatever we want it to be. And please, less hostility 😢 I'm relatively new here sad

    Dont take him to literally. I think you make a good point about magic being a support role.
    avatar
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 4689
    Reputation : 257
    Join date : 2012-01-26

    Re: Magic spammers? Really?

    Post by Rynn on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:05 pm

    Dutchy wrote:Woah, calm down. I only make the assumption that people don't enjoy using magic for OHKO's because I know I wouldn't. I don't see satisfaction in walking up to an opponent, pressing a couple buttons and watching as in-game mechanics does the work for me.
    I -just- finished making a build that was specced to make combustion do 800-900 damage a piece. It's fun as hell.
    avatar
    Dutchy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 432
    Reputation : 8
    Join date : 2013-01-31
    Location : Out there

    Re: Magic spammers? Really?

    Post by Dutchy on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:33 pm

    Well yeah man, there you go. You enjoy it. I just don't silly


    _________________
    XBL: Dutchy47
    avatar
    Lancelot
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 335
    Reputation : 12
    Join date : 2012-02-25
    Location : America

    Re: Magic spammers? Really?

    Post by Lancelot on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:38 pm

    Schadenfreude


    _________________

    PSN: iMugBabies
    avatar
    Dutchy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 432
    Reputation : 8
    Join date : 2013-01-31
    Location : Out there

    Re: Magic spammers? Really?

    Post by Dutchy on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:40 pm

    Lancelot wrote:Schadenfreude
    lol!


    _________________
    XBL: Dutchy47
    avatar
    mugenis4real
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1213
    Reputation : 77
    Join date : 2012-03-14
    Age : 24
    Location : NYC

    Re: Magic spammers? Really?

    Post by mugenis4real on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:55 am

    Rynn wrote:
    Dutchy wrote:Woah, calm down. I only make the assumption that people don't enjoy using magic for OHKO's because I know I wouldn't. I don't see satisfaction in walking up to an opponent, pressing a couple buttons and watching as in-game mechanics does the work for me.
    I -just- finished making a build that was specced to make combustion do 800-900 damage a piece. It's fun as hell.

    I will second this, Dusk Crown + Bellowing Ring + Power Within + Great Combustion = FUN Praise the Sun
    avatar
    Dutchy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 432
    Reputation : 8
    Join date : 2013-01-31
    Location : Out there

    Re: Magic spammers? Really?

    Post by Dutchy on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:56 am

    Dutchy wrote:Well yeah man, there you go. You enjoy it. I just don't silly


    _________________
    XBL: Dutchy47
    avatar
    gmwdim
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 329
    Reputation : 18
    Join date : 2013-01-31
    Age : 30
    Location : Anor Londo aka San Francisco

    Re: Magic spammers? Really?

    Post by gmwdim on Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:42 am

    So just because you don't enjoy using magic, you feel the need to criticize others who do? I mean, isn't that what your original rant was about?

    Magic is supposed to be a sort-of supporting role, not your main means of defeating everyone in history ever. Geesh.

    Who are you to dictate what play style other people are supposed to use? When I play with my pure Int build, I prefer to use magic as my main offense and melee as a supporting role. Furthermore, these are invasions, not summoned duels, so the other player has every right to use whatever tactics he prefers.


    _________________
    Ask me about my three cats.
    PSN: gmwdim
    Character SL: 161, 125, 117, 104, 97, 66, 60, 40, 1
    avatar
    Dutchy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 432
    Reputation : 8
    Join date : 2013-01-31
    Location : Out there

    Re: Magic spammers? Really?

    Post by Dutchy on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:00 am

    gmwdim wrote:Who are you to dictate what play style other people are supposed to use? When I play with my pure Int build, I prefer to use magic as my main offense and melee as a supporting role. Furthermore, these are invasions, not summoned duels, so the other player has every right to use whatever tactics he prefers.

    Steady on mate. My main argument is not towards the playstyle itself, but mainly towards the physche behind it. I just don't see what's so enjoyable about it. Just got summones to watch a duel were two dudes used dark bead at the same time and killed each other. Wow, what a must watch. But another point is that ultimately, it's not all that diffiucult is it. You walk up, you lock, you cast == watch stuff happen. This is mainly with the dark magics. Sure, I can dodge it most of the time, but it's the times you can't that gets you to right a rant like this.


    _________________
    XBL: Dutchy47
    avatar
    gmwdim
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 329
    Reputation : 18
    Join date : 2013-01-31
    Age : 30
    Location : Anor Londo aka San Francisco

    Re: Magic spammers? Really?

    Post by gmwdim on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:17 am

    Okay, so you personally don't see what's so enjoyable about it. Other people (myself included) do find it enjoyable. So people have different opinions, yet you need to start a thread to rant about other people's opinions? Also, once again you presume to understand other people's *psyche* (I'm guessing that's the word you meant), which you clearly don't, since you admitted yourself that you don't see why they enjoy it. So you don't use magic because you find it boring - fine, but if someone else kills you with magic, it's because you didn't dodge properly, not because there's something wrong with how they're playing.

    Sorry if I sound mean. I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I'm just explaining that 1. magic is not necessarily secondary to melee, and casting magic (including "spamming" and dark magic) as a primary offense is a legitimate way to play the game; 2. different players prefer different play styles; 3. you shouldn't criticize others just for enjoying something different from you; and 4. you shouldn't make assumptions about other players' motives or psyche.


    _________________
    Ask me about my three cats.
    PSN: gmwdim
    Character SL: 161, 125, 117, 104, 97, 66, 60, 40, 1
    avatar
    Lancelot
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 335
    Reputation : 12
    Join date : 2012-02-25
    Location : America

    Re: Magic spammers? Really?

    Post by Lancelot on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:26 am

    This whole thread is full of pointless banter.


    _________________

    PSN: iMugBabies

    Sponsored content

    Re: Magic spammers? Really?

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:07 am