Philosophies for Big Time Thinkings

    Share
    avatar
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1445
    Reputation : 77
    Join date : 2012-06-26
    Location : Junkyard Porto-John

    Philosophies for Big Time Thinkings

    Post by BIG TIME MASTER on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:02 am

    Rev up your brain engines, it's time to use that old inner skull muscle you've been neglecting, letting it get soft, mushy, and wrinkly.

    I spent some time perambulating the halls in the annals of my mind, and I have come to a conclusion, or a theory, that the most compassionate and effective (to the end of world peace) thing a man can do is mind his own business.

    In fact, if I was going to start a religion, my first and only tenet would be "Mind your own business."

    Do you disagree??


    (if you do, mind your own damn business!)

    avatar
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 4185
    Reputation : 98
    Join date : 2012-07-22
    Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

    Re: Philosophies for Big Time Thinkings

    Post by GrinTwist on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:11 am

    That depends on the subject, that is being brought up.

    When it comes to someone's own set of morals and principles I would have to agree it's best to mind your own business. The only time I can say not to is if someone else's way of living affects you in a negative light. (Example: Someone believes they have the right to marry who they choose, yet someone else disagrees with them and tries to hold a form of dominance over that person.)



    _________________
    Boring life? Join a cult.
    avatar
    KingSeekerCow
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 154
    Reputation : 3
    Join date : 2013-01-24
    Age : 26
    Location : California

    Re: Philosophies for Big Time Thinkings

    Post by KingSeekerCow on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:54 am

    You can never mind your own business. There will always something small or big that you're always thinking of. No matter what you do, someone mind will always think of what you did to make it their business.
    avatar
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1445
    Reputation : 77
    Join date : 2012-06-26
    Location : Junkyard Porto-John

    Re: Philosophies for Big Time Thinkings

    Post by BIG TIME MASTER on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:55 am

    GrinTwist wrote: The only time I can say not to is if someone else's way of living affects you in a negative light. (Example: Someone believes they have the right to marry who they choose, yet someone else disagrees with them and tries to hold a form of dominance over that person.)

    I don't understand. Who is holding dominance over who? The person who doesn't like how others are marrying should mind his/her own business. Problem solved.

    avatar
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

    Posts : 8742
    Reputation : 221
    Join date : 2012-02-16
    Age : 30
    Location : The Painted World

    Re: Philosophies for Big Time Thinkings

    Post by WyrmHero on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:12 am

    Minding your own business it's not compassionate, maybe effective yes. Minding your own business is bad for the world because you don't care about anything but yourself. If someone falls on the street you mind your own business and decide to not help him. Mind your own business is one of the reasons some crimes can't be resolved because the witnesses become scared and prefer to mind their own business. It's selfish imo. Minding your own business can also lead to depression and being anti-social. It also leads to fear and overall loneliness because you don't give a f*** about what's happening around you.


    _________________
    PSN: WyrmHero1945

    Dedicated Blade of the Darkmoon.
    Chaos Legion Str weapons covenant
    avatar
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1445
    Reputation : 77
    Join date : 2012-06-26
    Location : Junkyard Porto-John

    Re: Philosophies for Big Time Thinkings

    Post by BIG TIME MASTER on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:24 am

    Not "mind your own existence", just mind your own business.

    Meaning, I will see to my own life and pursuit of happiness and not meddle with other peoples. Me helping an old woman cross the street is not meddling with her business, it's just being compassionate, which is an intrinsic value in all humans.

    BagerX2
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 271
    Reputation : 12
    Join date : 2013-01-15
    Age : 28
    Location : Montgomery TX

    Re: Philosophies for Big Time Thinkings

    Post by BagerX2 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:30 am

    I wouldn't say compassion has intrinsic value to all humans, thats deontological thinking, see Immanuel Kant. Compassion would be part of the good will, but it is not a universal moral. You sound like you fall in line with some ideas of ethical egoism.


    _________________
    PSN - Bager_FLA
    avatar
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

    Posts : 2613
    Reputation : 122
    Join date : 2012-09-15
    Location : Southern US

    Re: Philosophies for Big Time Thinkings

    Post by The Letter X on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:25 am

    I disagree, but I'll mind my own business for your sake.


    _________________
    avatar
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

    Posts : 10236
    Reputation : 410
    Join date : 2012-01-27
    Location : Ralph Wilson Stadium

    Re: Philosophies for Big Time Thinkings

    Post by skarekrow13 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:23 am

    The issue with minding your own business, as defined as allowing others to pursue happiness as they see fit, is derived from BagerX2's point. Compassion and shiny fun feelings are not universal characteristics of the human race. I prefer that people don't mind their own business in the case of murderers, sexual predators, thieves, drunk drivers, people who don't yield for pedestrians in the crosswalk etc. etc.


    I'll take my most mundane example. Laws are constructs of human nature intended for the common good of all. In NY state, crosswalks that do not have a traffic control device (stop light) are defaulted to pedestrians. Meaning all drivers should stop when they see someone entering or about to enter a crosswalk. The most egregious issue I've witnessed is walking with my family. There's four of us. I'm 6' tall and not camouflaged. The jogging stroller we used to have for my daughter is fairly large and orange. Yet we would constantly see vehicles ignore our use of the crosswalk and fly by. Meaning, inherently, many many people are not compassionate. They are not inclined to obey rules. They are not inclined to think of others. Humans are a social animal but only when it benefits the individual.

    In the society I know, too many people already mind their business for their pursuit of happiness. You may rightfully ask where the harm is in disobeying crosswalk rules as it only cause us to lose some time (the same thing we ask of the driver) but the concept carries over to bigger things.

    I can't be bothered to stop to ensure the safety of my fellow humans because it negatively impacts me and I don't want to be late, or I don't see the harm to others, etc. etc. This is the same concept (but a much much smaller scale) than the thought process of: "I will sexually abuse someone, because it's what I want to do and I don't see or don't care about the harm to others" or even "this person wronged me, and I would be happier if their existence was removed from this life."

    By defining minding your own business as everyone allowing others to pursue happiness in their own manner opens up the extensions of doing things for convenience, pleasure, or the removal of anxiety.

    I have to disagree on this the way you've defined it. However, I do support a broad range of laissez faire legislation across a broad range of topics. There are a lot of things with no inherent harm to others that many individuals feel compelled to meddle in.

    My best example: I live near the birthplace of the Mormon religion. You know, the very rapidly expanding and controversial sect of Christianity. Anyway, every year they have a pageant on the hill where Joesph Smith reportedly did his thing. I went once because they open it to everyone and I know enough Mormons to know how big the pageant is. Off the subject, the pageant is beautifully done, regardless of faith it's a masterpiece. Anyway, just like all the years before it, there was a HUGE protest across the road from the pageant area. I mean HUGE. And vocal. With lots of police to make sure it doesn't turn violent. The disagreement is that THESE Christians, don't like the idea that THESE OTHER Christians have more books to read from than they do. For some reason, the concept that maybe God sent different angels to talk to people at a different time than they believe is reason for...and I do mean this word...hatred.

    If you mean that there should be less of these stories in the world, I agree....mind your own business jerks!


    BagerX2
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 271
    Reputation : 12
    Join date : 2013-01-15
    Age : 28
    Location : Montgomery TX

    Re: Philosophies for Big Time Thinkings

    Post by BagerX2 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:17 pm

    skarekrow13 wrote:
    I have to disagree on this the way you've defined it. However, I do support a broad range of laissez faire legislation across a broad range of topics. There are a lot of things with no inherent harm to others that many individuals feel compelled to meddle in.

    Yes. This is where Utilitarianism is useful. With utilitarianism you do the things that cause the most good for the most people. Your example of the crosswalk fits here. The idea of the crosswalk and the laws around it are designed for the good of the people. When people follow the rules noone gets hurt, when they don't they are punished accordingly. Under this idea as long as you are not hurting anyone you are allowed to do as you wish. You can pursue happiness, as long as you do not hinder the ability of others to do so. Laws and regulations would only be made to ensure the general good and not to go as far as to limit what wont hurt others.


    _________________
    PSN - Bager_FLA

    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3419
    Reputation : 175
    Join date : 2013-01-17

    Re: Philosophies for Big Time Thinkings

    Post by Animaaal on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:11 pm

    "mind your own business"

    While not taking the term literally (not sure if thats possible), I'll say yes.

    Keeping ones "house in order" has always been a staple of every major religion. By "minding to your business/affairs" you are thereby attending to situations/obstacles/chores that are necessary to achieve piece of mind.

    Who feels better after taking out the trash, mowing the lawn, doing the dishes, and paying bills before sitting down to have a beer and watch the game?

    I know I do.

    While "tending to your affairs" is not only responsible from a civic standpoint, it also translates to a person's ability to perform better as a husband/wife and mother/father and son/daughter.

    By having your mind clear of the "daily hustle", you allow yourself to focus on more complicated and, imo, more important resposibilities and pleasures of life....like gaming.


    Last edited by Animaaal on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 25
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    Re: Philosophies for Big Time Thinkings

    Post by Serious_Much on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:07 pm

    Minding your own business implies a deeply rooted selfishness- something which pretty much every religion on the planet (even pastafarianism lol), completely.. doesn't condone but advises against. After all, religions are meant to bring people together, help each other and generally create a happier society as a whole. Even simple ethic theories such as utilitarianism or virtue ethics concern themselves with what is best for the whole and simply you.

    As a result I'm afraid I have to reject your idea. Very well minding your own business, but a religion is impossible to base of such a selfish and anti-social concept.


    _________________
    PSN and other stuff:
    PSN: HolyPK9 "You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"

    Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

    Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

    Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

    PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    avatar
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 4185
    Reputation : 98
    Join date : 2012-07-22
    Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

    Re: Philosophies for Big Time Thinkings

    Post by GrinTwist on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:31 pm

    BIG TIME MASTER wrote:
    GrinTwist wrote: The only time I can say not to is if someone else's way of living affects you in a negative light. (Example: Someone believes they have the right to marry who they choose, yet someone else disagrees with them and tries to hold a form of dominance over that person.)

    I don't understand. Who is holding dominance over who? The person who doesn't like how others are marrying should mind his/her own business. Problem solved.


    That was what I was trying to get at, actually. I just word things poorly sometimes.


    _________________
    Boring life? Join a cult.
    avatar
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 4239
    Reputation : 6
    Join date : 2012-10-12
    Age : 27
    Location : Sweet Devil

    Re: Philosophies for Big Time Thinkings

    Post by Hatsune Miku on Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:33 pm

    GrinTwist wrote:That depends on the subject, that is being brought up.

    When it comes to someone's own set of morals and principles I would have to agree it's best to mind your own business. The only time I can say not to is if someone else's way of living affects you in a negative light. (Example: Someone believes they have the right to marry who they choose, yet someone else disagrees with them and tries to hold a form of dominance over that person.)

    This is a sticky situation we have here. And I don't mean to rustle anyones jimmies, but...
    That's just part of the belief system of almost all Christ followers. Some Christ followers have brainwashed themselves of a few things, if not all, of what being a Christ follower is all about. For example, my best friend believes in God, but believes nothing from the Bible. Meaning, he as disregarded everything other than God. That means prayers, the Ten Commandments, the Holy Trinity, which includes, Jesus Christ Lord and Savior, the Holy Spirit, and God himself as three persons in one, and everything inbetween. My mind can not process why and how he believe such things. It doesn't make any sense! He's still my best friend. I just pity him.
    And for a nation like the United States of America; which is "one nation, under God". It makes sense that no homosexuals should marry. It's a nation under God!
    So I will not mind my own business about that. But I will do nothing to stop them from doing so, if they find a way around it. That's their wrong doing in the first place. In my beliefs/opinion.
    I'm going to try and leave it at that.


    _________________
    Signature created by me, Hatsune Miku.
    avatar
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 4185
    Reputation : 98
    Join date : 2012-07-22
    Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

    Re: Philosophies for Big Time Thinkings

    Post by GrinTwist on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:45 am

    Vinyl Scratch wrote:
    GrinTwist wrote:That depends on the subject, that is being brought up.

    When it comes to someone's own set of morals and principles I would have to agree it's best to mind your own business. The only time I can say not to is if someone else's way of living affects you in a negative light. (Example: Someone believes they have the right to marry who they choose, yet someone else disagrees with them and tries to hold a form of dominance over that person.)

    This is a sticky situation we have here. And I don't mean to rustle anyones jimmies, but...
    That's just part of the belief system of almost all Christ followers. Some Christ followers have brainwashed themselves of a few things, if not all, of what being a Christ follower is all about. For example, my best friend believes in God, but believes nothing from the Bible. Meaning, he as disregarded everything other than God. That means prayers, the Ten Commandments, the Holy Trinity, which includes, Jesus Christ Lord and Savior, the Holy Spirit, and God himself as three persons in one, and everything inbetween. My mind can not process why and how he believe such things. It doesn't make any sense! He's still my best friend. I just pity him.
    And for a nation like the United States of America; which is "one nation, under God". It makes sense that no homosexuals should marry. It's a nation under God!
    So I will not mind my own business about that. But I will do nothing to stop them from doing so, if they find a way around it. That's their wrong doing in the first place. In my beliefs/opinion.
    I'm going to try and leave it at that.

    Now first off I'm going to try to be careful with this because I know I can offend easily. So if I have, I'm sorry it wasn't intended.

    My main problem with that is the fact that we aren't a nation that favors one religion over another and in my eyes that is what that statement means, that our government favors one religion over others.

    I'm not for the dominance for any type of belief system in the government mind you, even my own. Also, remember that "under God" wasn't added until the 1950's and personally I don't think it should be there.

    But enough of this, I'm always open to conversation of this subject in private or on another thread that has to do with this actual subject but having it in this thread will likely get it locked.


    _________________
    Boring life? Join a cult.

    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3419
    Reputation : 175
    Join date : 2013-01-17

    Re: Philosophies for Big Time Thinkings

    Post by Animaaal on Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:10 am

    "I said empty your mind. Be shapeless, formless, like water. Be water my friend"

    The Late Great Grand Master Bruce Lee
    avatar
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1445
    Reputation : 77
    Join date : 2012-06-26
    Location : Junkyard Porto-John

    Re: Philosophies for Big Time Thinkings

    Post by BIG TIME MASTER on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:01 am

    OK you braniacs, let me throw this one at you.


    I eat, therefore I am.




    Discuss!
    avatar
    Digitalyzed
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1136
    Reputation : 8
    Join date : 2012-04-02
    Age : 24

    Re: Philosophies for Big Time Thinkings

    Post by Digitalyzed on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:23 pm

    I prefer my outlook.

    "Do not mind your own buisness, or anyone else's for that matter. After all, we probably don't exist anyway, so you don't really have any buisness to mind in actuality, and that makes life pretty boring. What I'm trying to say is, anti-mind everyone's buisness, especially not your own when it's someone else's, as that would be looked upon in a positive dark."


    _________________
    When life gives you lemons and you're allergic to Citrus, Swell up and die. - Dogbert, Great 21st century philosopher.
    avatar
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1445
    Reputation : 77
    Join date : 2012-06-26
    Location : Junkyard Porto-John

    Re: Philosophies for Big Time Thinkings

    Post by BIG TIME MASTER on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:38 pm

    Digitalyzed wrote:
    "Do not mind your own buisness, or anyone else's for that matter. After all, we probably don't exist anyway, so you don't really have any buisness to mind in actuality, and that makes life pretty boring. What I'm trying to say is, anti-mind everyone's buisness, especially not your own when it's someone else's, as that would be looked upon in a positive dark."

    If you really believe that it's all just an illusion, stick your hand on a hot stove and hold it there. If you can't, perhaps you should reconsider?
    avatar
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 25
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    Re: Philosophies for Big Time Thinkings

    Post by Serious_Much on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:54 pm

    More like- I think, therefore I am.

    "I post, therefore I am"- Serious_Much 2012


    _________________
    PSN and other stuff:
    PSN: HolyPK9 "You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"

    Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

    Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

    Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

    PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    avatar
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1445
    Reputation : 77
    Join date : 2012-06-26
    Location : Junkyard Porto-John

    Re: Philosophies for Big Time Thinkings

    Post by BIG TIME MASTER on Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:05 pm

    Serious_Much wrote:More like- I think, therefore I am.

    "I post, therefore I am"- Serious_Much 2012


    Haha. What about the lurkers though???

    avatar
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 25
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    Re: Philosophies for Big Time Thinkings

    Post by Serious_Much on Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:10 pm

    BIG TIME MASTER wrote:
    Serious_Much wrote:More like- I think, therefore I am.

    "I post, therefore I am"- Serious_Much 2012


    Haha. What about the lurkers though???


    Well according to the forum if you don't post, you don't exist. Simple! winking


    _________________
    PSN and other stuff:
    PSN: HolyPK9 "You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"

    Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

    Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

    Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

    PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    avatar
    Digitalyzed
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1136
    Reputation : 8
    Join date : 2012-04-02
    Age : 24

    Re: Philosophies for Big Time Thinkings

    Post by Digitalyzed on Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:13 pm

    BIG TIME MASTER wrote:
    Digitalyzed wrote:
    "Do not mind your own buisness, or anyone else's for that matter. After all, we probably don't exist anyway, so you don't really have any buisness to mind in actuality, and that makes life pretty boring. What I'm trying to say is, anti-mind everyone's buisness, especially not your own when it's someone else's, as that would be looked upon in a positive dark."

    If you really believe that it's all just an illusion, stick your hand on a hot stove and hold it there. If you can't, perhaps you should reconsider?

    Who is to say if pain is reality itself though? It would be quite foolish to put a mere sense in a high chair and state that it's a sign of consciousness.

    Also, I probably could, I lost most of the feeling in my hands several years ago lol


    _________________
    When life gives you lemons and you're allergic to Citrus, Swell up and die. - Dogbert, Great 21st century philosopher.
    avatar
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1445
    Reputation : 77
    Join date : 2012-06-26
    Location : Junkyard Porto-John

    Re: Philosophies for Big Time Thinkings

    Post by BIG TIME MASTER on Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:19 pm

    Digitalyzed wrote:

    Who is to say if pain is reality itself though? It would be quite foolish to put a mere sense in a high chair and state that it's a sign of consciousness.


    Defend your belief. Make a video of you sticking your hand or face or whatever on a hot burner. While your skin is burning deny reality. Say that it doesn't matter because this is all just a temporary illusion anyhow.
    avatar
    Digitalyzed
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1136
    Reputation : 8
    Join date : 2012-04-02
    Age : 24

    Re: Philosophies for Big Time Thinkings

    Post by Digitalyzed on Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:23 pm

    I would do that if I didn't care for the social convention that has been so cruelly carved into our perceptions of each other.

    But alas, through what could or could not be an illusion, or a dream, we must make the most of it, though it may be nothing at all.

    Burden lies on he who first cast.


    _________________
    When life gives you lemons and you're allergic to Citrus, Swell up and die. - Dogbert, Great 21st century philosopher.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Philosophies for Big Time Thinkings

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:06 am