Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+13
CrackSouls
Soris Ice Goldwing
Serious_Much
Jiub of Carim
robsthedon
Hugh_G_Johnson
Sentiel
Animaaal
KingSeekerCow
Forum Pirate
reim0027
IV_Mark_VI
Tarkkus
17 posters

Sunlight Blade or Darkmoon Blade?

Tarkkus
    Tarkkus
    Casual
    Casual

Sunlight Blade or Darkmoon Blade? Empty Sunlight Blade or Darkmoon Blade?

Post by Tarkkus Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:55 am

I'm curios if I should drop Darkmoon Covenant because the invasions are slow and get sunlight blade but I'm iffy on if it's better, so what's your opinion?
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Sunlight Blade or Darkmoon Blade? Empty Re: Sunlight Blade or Darkmoon Blade?

Post by IV_Mark_VI Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:00 am

For you Tarkus, I recommend Greatsword Blade with Black Iron Shield buff.

In all honesty, what's your goal? What will sunlight blade give you, that Darkmoon doesn't? Are you becoming a dark wraith? And when you say invasions are slow, how/where are you invading?
    Tarkkus
    Tarkkus
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Tarkkus Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:06 am

IV_Mark_VI wrote:For you Tarkus, I recommend Greatsword Blade with Black Iron Shield buff.

In all honesty, what's your goal? What will sunlight blade give you, that Darkmoon doesn't? Are you becoming a dark wraith? And when you say invasions are slow, how/where are you invading?

First of all my name isn't from the monster in this game, I had this since old ps2 everquest silly and second I would prefer to become a darkwraith because I've noticed that my invasions take about 1-3 fails before invading (I've tried anor londo, the forest, and the second bonfire after the firelink shrine.)
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:13 am

If you want freedon - SLB. It hits slightly less than DMB, but does lightning damage (which is good since many people have higher magic defense).

If you are dedicated Darkmoon, then obviously DMB.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:13 am

You should get lots in the forest. what's your SL?
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:20 am

Buff wise, dmb generally does more damage, but not a lot (we're talking maybe 100 at the high end) but magic defense is easier to stack and gmb will wreck it, lightning defense is tough to stack past 350 so the damage will be more consistent.

Cov wise, dms invade slower. Nothing to be done about it. Being at an appropriate sl for the area you're invading helps a lot.
    KingSeekerCow
    KingSeekerCow
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by KingSeekerCow Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:30 am

Sunlight > Darkmoon.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:08 am

Like Mark said, your soul level might determine what route you go. However, you can still use SLB as a DMB. You could also attune both if you desired.

Imo, if you're past soul level 125, then stay a DMB and keep leveling up. Unless you're looking for fair pvp.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:16 am

Sunlight Blade or Darkmoon Blade? Both
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Hugh_G_Johnson Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:17 am

Reim, Forum Pirate & Animal all make great points. I think the animation and sound effect of the lightning damage is valuable psychological warfare as well. That said, I use both and DMB is my default #1 option. In pve it seems to take less hits to kill enemies and in pvp it's great against mages. Mages are usually very weak to magic and the quicker they die the less chances they have to hit you.

Getting back to psychological warfare; you can use wog to mess with people too. If you want to switch buffs or if you had to wait out GMB, switch from shield to talisman and hit wog once or twice when your opponent is just out of its range as if you're trying to time it to hit them (or try to, but it's not necessary). Then switch to your shield and get your buff ready then next time you switch to your talisman while they're away from you they'll often back up further letting you buff in the middle of a fight. A lot of times they'll try to punish you too late and leave themselves wide open instead. It works best if you condition your opponent to associate the sight of the talisman with an immediate wog and then go right back to the shield.

You can use the same trick to bait an attack if you do it while they're closer. Wog's also useful to chunk out some damage against turtles w/o the crest shield and perhaps pry them out of their shell. Just be aware that there seems to be a lot of people who hate wog so much that they make a build with at least 28 faith, attune 4 sets of wog and who, after you use it once, spam wog until one of you is dead or all 12 run out. :suspect:
    robsthedon
    robsthedon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by robsthedon Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:47 am

Slb looks and is cooler, dmg difference is negligible.
    Jiub of Carim
    Jiub of Carim
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Jiub of Carim Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:04 pm

Darkmoon Blade! Its stronger, it looks cooler, and you get to punish the guilty.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:13 pm

I'd say go SLB. At max DM, DMB does 2.1x magic adjust while SLB does 1.8x, however due to defence difference between magic and lightning, it's only a small difference, with favour to DMB.

I'd go SLB though, gives you choice of covenant and it also looks way cooler.
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:19 pm

The two are weapon buffs but the SLB is lighting based while the DMB is magic based but with DMB you are stuck in one covenant and it's magic buff can be stacked against in defense better than the lighting of SLB. Covenant wise unless you want to try higher sl invasion stay as a darkmoon with the DMB. Any other covenant stick with the SLB or be a darkmoon with both.
    CrackSouls
    CrackSouls
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by CrackSouls Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:17 am

You could always do what I do: BOTH.
    In NG get Sunlight Blade, then in NG+ join the Darkmoons again so you can use DMB.
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Hugh_G_Johnson Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:55 am

LOL -- We should start a poll on which looks cooler. My vote is definitely for DMB. It literally looks cool. I'm surprised people are saying SLB looks better. If SLB were just a brilliant glowing gold it might look better. But, the lightning effect makes it look too 'busy'.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:05 am

Darkmoon Blade on a Silver Knight Sword looks like a lightsaber.....OOOOO.....Obi-wan-kenobi build 8)
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:13 am

I give you......Obi-Wan-Kenobi
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Hugh_G_Johnson Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:18 pm

Animaaal wrote:Darkmoon Blade on a Silver Knight Sword looks like a lightsaber.....OOOOO.....Obi-wan-kenobi build 8)

The silver knight sword is pretty mean with the DMB buff. Unfortunately unbuffed it's near worthless, especially at that weight. I pick my poison as far as compromising weight & swing speed now with buffable weapons, either going with the claymore or the falchion. How on earth does that weigh as much as the claymore? But, I digress...

BTW Animal, you forgot to attune force. I had a similar idea to use the light saber effect with some of the lightning spells & weapons:emperor build. But, it would be a whole lot of work for a build that would have some pretty dubious pvp spells (lightning spears, force, emit force) saving DMB, of course. I suppose you could fudge it and put in a wog... or three. silly Actually, I scrapped it a while ago and just recreated it on mugen monkey and it looks better than I remember... hmm :idea:
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:52 pm

Hugh_G_Johnson wrote:
    Animaaal wrote:Darkmoon Blade on a Silver Knight Sword looks like a lightsaber.....OOOOO.....Obi-wan-kenobi build 8)

The silver knight sword is pretty mean with the DMB buff. Unfortunately unbuffed it's near worthless, especially at that weight. I pick my poison as far as compromising weight & swing speed now with buffable weapons, either going with the claymore or the falchion. How on earth does that weigh as much as the claymore? But, I digress...

BTW Animal, you forgot to attune force. I had a similar idea to use the light saber effect with some of the lightning spells & weapons:emperor build. But, it would be a whole lot of work for a build that would have some pretty dubious pvp spells (lightning spears, force, emit force) saving DMB, of course. I suppose you could fudge it and put in a wog... or three. silly Actually, I scrapped it a while ago and just recreated it on mugen monkey and it looks better than I remember... hmm :idea:

The SKS definitely isn't worthless unbuffed. There seems to be a lot of people that think it does more than average stamina damage. I haven't tested it myself though sad But ya, the weight is pretty ridiculous. I think the Balder Side Sword would be more efficient.....but it looks like an anorexic lightsaber, and who wants that? silly

If Force was actually "Force Push", then of course. WoG was obviously a better choice in my "serious" build lol. And also...any lightning miracle would have made him a sith. I was thinking that though lol. I like how you mention Emit Force, I was thinking that as well.

An emperer build....that sounds cool. I like what you did with yours...with the exception of the shield of course. silly

In the end thought its almost impossible not to screw up cosplay builds ya know?

EeAyEss
    EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:13 pm

Emit force.

If you want both, get some cracked red eye orbs. You can invade, but use both DMB and SLB. Win-win. Only downside is that you have to either A: get smebody to grant you 99 cracked red eye orbs, or B: Leave darkmoons, join darkwraiths, get 99 cracked eye orbs, then rejoin Darkmoons. It's just time consuming. silly
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:17 pm

If I might add a little oil to the fire here.

I'm using both. I couldn't decide, so I went to NG+ and got both.
    Now, since I don't bother leveling up in Darkmoon Covenant (the extra damage is so small, it's not worth the effort to press X to give Gwyndolin all those Souvenirs), the damage is nearly same.

Putting damage aside, it's the damage type that made me go for Sunlight Blade.
    Most armors and shields have lower resistances against Lightining than Magic. Also, thanks to the widespread outbreak of Abyss Magic, people carry Crest Shield and use GMB a lot more then they used to and all of those hinder DMB. There's also the thing about not having to be a Darkmoon Blade for it to work.
    Paragon
    Paragon
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Sunlight Blade or Darkmoon Blade? Empty Definitely both

Post by Paragon Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:33 pm

I know Im not the only one to say this but in my experience it has always served me better to have both. What I do is memorize the resistances of frequently used armor sets and shields so that when I see equipment i recognize i can choose the buff that fits the occasion. It seems like you would be doing yourself a disservice to pick one when you can easily have both. I just dont see the point in picking one over the other. big grin Sunlight Blade or Darkmoon Blade? 1697181849
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:38 am

luvz2fight wrote:I know Im not the only one to say this but in my experience it has always served me better to have both. What I do is memorize the resistances of frequently used armor sets and shields so that when I see equipment i recognize i can choose the buff that fits the occasion. It seems like you would be doing yourself a disservice to pick one when you can easily have both. I just dont see the point in picking one over the other. big grin Sunlight Blade or Darkmoon Blade? 1697181849

Thats a really good point, but only if you wanna be a DMB. I'm jealous though. I dont memerize at all for the most part. Hell, half the time I dont even focus unless my humanity is getting low lol.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:57 am

If it doesn't matter which covenant you're in, memorize both (so commit to the Darkmoons). Costs an extra 2 points.

If you want to change covenants, then do SLB (or 2). The difference is not that much.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:19 am