Spicing up Boring Boss Fights and Areas

    Share
    avatar
    Jiub of Carim
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 218
    Reputation : 5
    Join date : 2013-01-08
    Age : 24
    Location : SC

    Spicing up Boring Boss Fights and Areas

    Post by Jiub of Carim on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:48 pm

    Some boss/mini-boss battles in this game can be pretty underwhelming, or just downright boring. I always thought the Hydra mini-boss was a good example of this. It's extremely repetitive and very straight forward. Recently however, I actually had an epic fight with both Hydras. One that I thought I'd share and get your impressions in addition to any tactics you all use to spice up certain parts of the game. This is not limited to bosses, it can also be ways to make areas of the game more intense and epic.

    I recently fought the Hydra in Darkroot Basin simply to unlock the DLC and Dusk. I'm normally low SL when I fight it, so I kite the golems in the area around until the Hydra kills them with its range blasts. However, this time I sorta just ran in and ended up fighting the Hydra as I fought the golems. THE BEST FIGHT I'VE EVER HAD WITH THAT PARTICULAR HYDRA. Dodging the Hydra's head rush and the golems smashes, whilst deciding whether to attack a golem or go for a Hydra head left me with a surge of adrenaline I've never got from the Hydra before.

    While in Ash Lake, on the same play through, I fought the Hydra using only the MLGS and sorceries. I had alot of fun with that too! Sending magic waves from the MLGS, while unlocked, towards the Hydra's heads as they tower above me was quite epic.


    _________________
    Your humanity is really slipping.
    But there are methods. Most fools have more humanity than they know what to do with.
    Now, who do you imagine will make the best use of it, hmm?


    Xbox 360 GT: L3XFactorAkuma
    PSN: TayloredRedWing
    avatar
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

    Posts : 11501
    Reputation : 327
    Join date : 2012-04-18
    Age : 28
    Location : WPB, Florida

    Re: Spicing up Boring Boss Fights and Areas

    Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:58 pm

    I've done that fight with the golems too. It definitely adds to the challenge.

    avatar
    Jiub of Carim
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 218
    Reputation : 5
    Join date : 2013-01-08
    Age : 24
    Location : SC

    Re: Spicing up Boring Boss Fights and Areas

    Post by Jiub of Carim on Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:40 pm

    It's quite a different fight indeed!


    _________________
    Your humanity is really slipping.
    But there are methods. Most fools have more humanity than they know what to do with.
    Now, who do you imagine will make the best use of it, hmm?


    Xbox 360 GT: L3XFactorAkuma
    PSN: TayloredRedWing
    avatar
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 4307
    Reputation : 62
    Join date : 2012-04-12
    Age : 23
    Location : Carim in the Pacific Northwest

    Re: Spicing up Boring Boss Fights and Areas

    Post by JoeBroski09 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:56 pm

    I've never had to do that before, and I think I'd either love it, if I survived, or hate it, if I died. That's kinda how things go in Dark Souls these days haha! I feel like an idiot when I die.


    _________________
    big grin Hugs and smiles big grin

    avatar
    Jiub of Carim
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 218
    Reputation : 5
    Join date : 2013-01-08
    Age : 24
    Location : SC

    Re: Spicing up Boring Boss Fights and Areas

    Post by Jiub of Carim on Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:02 pm

    JoeBroski09 wrote:I've never had to do that before, and I think I'd either love it, if I survived, or hate it, if I died. That's kinda how things go in Dark Souls these days haha! I feel like an idiot when I die.
    Hahaha i'm the same way. In PvE I'm a bit of a mess, I run around with 60000+ souls with 15 Humanity stacked at low SLs sometimes. I end up losing all of it and thinking, "Why the *** didn't i level!?!"


    _________________
    Your humanity is really slipping.
    But there are methods. Most fools have more humanity than they know what to do with.
    Now, who do you imagine will make the best use of it, hmm?


    Xbox 360 GT: L3XFactorAkuma
    PSN: TayloredRedWing
    avatar
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 4307
    Reputation : 62
    Join date : 2012-04-12
    Age : 23
    Location : Carim in the Pacific Northwest

    Re: Spicing up Boring Boss Fights and Areas

    Post by JoeBroski09 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:05 pm

    Jiub of Carim wrote:
    JoeBroski09 wrote:I've never had to do that before, and I think I'd either love it, if I survived, or hate it, if I died. That's kinda how things go in Dark Souls these days haha! I feel like an idiot when I die.
    Hahaha i'm the same way. In PvE I'm a bit of a mess, I run around with 60000+ souls with 15 Humanity stacked at low SLs sometimes. I end up losing all of it and thinking, "Why the *** didn't i level!?!"
    I don't carry around that much humanity haha! I'll kindle like 4 or 5 bonfires all the way so I see the familiar 00 on the top left. But I did just drop 60k souls last night in the Archives. Jeez, I hate that place SO MUCH! I had to resort to speed running, which isn't as fun, and I don't get to pick up ALL the items like I enjoy doing.


    _________________
    big grin Hugs and smiles big grin

    avatar
    Jiub of Carim
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 218
    Reputation : 5
    Join date : 2013-01-08
    Age : 24
    Location : SC

    Re: Spicing up Boring Boss Fights and Areas

    Post by Jiub of Carim on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:52 am

    JoeBroski09 wrote:
    Jiub of Carim wrote:
    JoeBroski09 wrote:I've never had to do that before, and I think I'd either love it, if I survived, or hate it, if I died. That's kinda how things go in Dark Souls these days haha! I feel like an idiot when I die.
    Hahaha i'm the same way. In PvE I'm a bit of a mess, I run around with 60000+ souls with 15 Humanity stacked at low SLs sometimes. I end up losing all of it and thinking, "Why the *** didn't i level!?!"
    I don't carry around that much humanity haha! I'll kindle like 4 or 5 bonfires all the way so I see the familiar 00 on the top left. But I did just drop 60k souls last night in the Archives. Jeez, I hate that place SO MUCH! I had to resort to speed running, which isn't as fun, and I don't get to pick up ALL the items like I enjoy doing.
    Hidden Body or the Ring of Fog works wonders in the Duke's.


    _________________
    Your humanity is really slipping.
    But there are methods. Most fools have more humanity than they know what to do with.
    Now, who do you imagine will make the best use of it, hmm?


    Xbox 360 GT: L3XFactorAkuma
    PSN: TayloredRedWing

    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

    Posts : 9912
    Reputation : 106
    Join date : 2012-12-18

    Re: Spicing up Boring Boss Fights and Areas

    Post by User1 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:56 am

    Jiub of Carim wrote:
    JoeBroski09 wrote:
    Jiub of Carim wrote:
    JoeBroski09 wrote:I've never had to do that before, and I think I'd either love it, if I survived, or hate it, if I died. That's kinda how things go in Dark Souls these days haha! I feel like an idiot when I die.
    Hahaha i'm the same way. In PvE I'm a bit of a mess, I run around with 60000+ souls with 15 Humanity stacked at low SLs sometimes. I end up losing all of it and thinking, "Why the *** didn't i level!?!"
    I don't carry around that much humanity haha! I'll kindle like 4 or 5 bonfires all the way so I see the familiar 00 on the top left. But I did just drop 60k souls last night in the Archives. Jeez, I hate that place SO MUCH! I had to resort to speed running, which isn't as fun, and I don't get to pick up ALL the items like I enjoy doing.
    Hidden Body or the Ring of Fog works wonders in the Duke's.
    This makes me remember an idea I had forgotten. You should be able to stealth every level, and get a bit more souls than you usually would for your hard work.
    avatar
    Shindori
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1081
    Reputation : 35
    Join date : 2012-02-06
    Age : 27
    Location : New Londo

    Re: Spicing up Boring Boss Fights and Areas

    Post by Shindori on Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:31 am

    I'm carrying 600K souls and 15 humanity at lvl 30 on Anor Londo. /drops mic.


    _________________
    ShindoriH on GFWL, shindori on Steam.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Spicing up Boring Boss Fights and Areas

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:26 pm